• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMaRsu

First impressions.

Good:

- Decent and clean graphics, great design work
- Inspired areas
- Combat feels great so far
- Fun to see other players in both the missions and the open world segments
- Loot!
- Challenging bosses
- Neat menus

Bad:

- World feels dead and sterile, even with players and enemies fighting at in the open
- Missions are terrible and end abruptly without any real conclusion
- No context to story, characters, world, or anything. Maybe things will be explained, but right now it just feels completely random and without any real emotion or driving force
- Loading times and mission select design is dated and very clunky. Especially visiting the tower
- Player interaction is minimal so far
- Gear and weapons all look the same (although I'm pretty early)
- Respawning enemies in single-player missions could be toned down
- No feeling of leaving any impact on the world
- Press square to ghost

So yeah Truant your opinion holds some weight in my opinion and Im sad I bought this digitally. Should have gone physical so i could sell it when I get bored of it.

It sounds like ALL the bad shit from the alpha and beta still remains.

Ok, you guys win. Pre-ordered and preloading now.

I just hope there's a lot more to the single player stuff than the alpha and betas let on. That was my only concern going in.

GOD! I am super jealous of your weed jar. I cant wait till I can smoke again. (Waiting to take a drug test for a new job within the month)

santana-crying-gif.gif

Symax

I'm absolutely fucking livid.

All of a sudden they've now changed the FAQ on the destiny site to say the free upgrade won't be available until Wednesday.

Thanks for telling me that now. Wouldn't have bothered otherwise.
http://www.destinythegame.com/uk/en/digital-upgrade

"Q. If I pre-ordered the PlayStation®3 digital version, when will my PlayStation®4 digital version of Destiny be available?

The PlayStation®4 digital upgrade will be available to you as close to launch as possible. We anticipate the PlayStation®4 version will be ready for you by Wednesday 9/10 at 6pm PDT, but please check back here for updates. Unfortunately, the PlayStation®4 upgrade will NOT be available for pre-order or pre-load."

What the fuck bungie?! That's it! I'm gonna write a divorce letter now.
kttcolismugdraper

X-Frame

I watched 30 seconds of Datto's stream of him just running around the Tower and I had to shut it down because I couldn't take it for longer than that .. 24 hours for me until I get to play!

Lima

So how do we access the Vanguard armory if we have the digital deluxe? I need dat orange helm and ship.

The vanguard quarter master. He is at the ship yard. Sells some decent weapons but nothing to write home about. As always with this pre-order bullshit. The content is always shit.

Dead

well not really...yet

- No context to story, characters, world, or anything. Maybe things will be explained, but right now it just feels completely random and without any real emotion or driving force
Sounds like a Bungie game to be honest.

Great gameplay, horseshit narrative qualities.

todd360

The vanguard quarter master. He is at the ship yard. Sells some decent weapons but nothing to write home about. As always with this pre-order bullshit. The content is always shit.

Isn't the vanguard stuff just supposed to be somewhat better starter gear? Seems like an OK bonus to me.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Wow they mega nerfed the glimmer farming routes from the beta.

explain.

i'm actually glad though, as it was just too easy. i wasnt planning on farming it, but i know my will power is weak and i'm sure i would have eventually (2-3 days max, lol!)

lmbotiva

First impressions.

Good:

- Decent and clean graphics, great design work
- Inspired areas
- Combat feels great so far
- Fun to see other players in both the missions and the open world segments
- Loot!
- Challenging bosses
- Neat menus

Bad:

- World feels dead and sterile, even with players and enemies fighting at in the open
- Missions are terrible and end abruptly without any real conclusion
- Loading times and mission select design is dated and very clunky. Especially visiting the tower
- Player interaction is minimal so far
- Gear and weapons all look the same (although I'm pretty early)
- Respawning enemies in single-player missions could be toned down
- No feeling of leaving any impact on the world
- Press square to ghost
that's the part that worried me, im not really into MP so i was expecting the game would have a decent single player campaign but it seems many people have the same complaint, to bad i cant cancel the preorder, guess im just gonna let it expire and that's that

Changes in mission design like that would probably take longer than the time they had left between the end of Beta and the release date since they'd have to design it, code it, test it, fix the inevitable bugs, pass cert, print and then ship the game.

I personally didn't really expect them to have huge changes from the Beta to the retail game but the fact that when designing the game the only mission type they designed is what we saw in the Beta I.E all the missions on earth and the one on the moon is pretty shocking. What was going through their mind when they thought hold square to deploy ghost, then defend ghost was the only kind of variety they needed? That's just baffling.

Well I haven't played the game and I'll be playing it tomorrow but I think people were expecting the missions in the beta to be just the intro and basic missions but and as you go further in the game when the retail releases, you'll see different types of mission. But the fact that most impressions about the game just keep saying the missions are still structured the same after Earth and the Moon is rather fucking disappointing and quite perplexing.

Fisty

I think everyone expecting Destiny to explain everything to you in the first cutscene are being ruined by modern AAA. I prefer the esoteric, subtle approach of Destiny. Thick, rich universe that slowly unfolds and leaves the mystery intact... love it

Lima

explain.

i'm actually glad though, as it was just too easy. i wasnt planning on farming it, but i know my will power is weak and i'm sure i would have eventually (2-3 days max, lol!)

The amount of chests that spawn is heavily reduced and the amount of glimmer you get from chests has also been reduced.

Truant

Is there a point to roaming around and fighting enemies besides the small amount of XP? It would be cool if the game gave you dynamic challenges if a certain number of players were in the area. Say, you and some guys are fighting near each other in Old Russia, the game could give you an option to survive a few waves, or take down enemies within a certain time. If the players all help out, you're guaranteed some nice piece of gear or cash.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of just hanging out with randoms right now, even if some of the emergent gameplay is kinda fun. I suspect this will die out as players get to know the game, and that's a shame. The most fun I've had right now is just running around old russia taking down lvl 8 enemies with random players just running by. It would be awesome if there was some sort of incentive for this. Like a dynamic fire team system or something for short bursts of play between beacon missions, just to keep that playful and casual type of multiplayer going.

X-Frame

The amount of chests that spawn is heavily reduced and the amount of glimmer you get from chests has also been reduced.

From the patch notes:

- "Treasure chest glimmer drop rate reduced, but added Materials to loot table. Treasure chests now have a small chance to award large drops of additional Glimmer, Materials, Engrams, and Consumables."

DjRalford

I don't get people going off their rocker, once everyone is online this is going to be epic and the landscapes will be littered with players and the tower a hive of activity.

Lima

Is there a point to roaming around and fighting enemies besides the small amount of XP? It would be cool if the game gave you dynamic challenges if a certain number of players were in the area. Say, you and some guys are fighting near each other in Old Russia, the game could give you an option to survive a few waves, or take down enemies within a certain time. If the players all help out, you're guaranteed some nice piece of gear or cash.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of just hanging out with randoms right now, even if some of the emergent gameplay is kinda fun. I suspect this will die out as players get to know the game, and that's a shame. The most fun I've had right now is just running around old russia taking down lvl 8 enemies with random players just running by. It would be awesome if there was some sort of incentive for this. Like a dynamic fire team system or something for short bursts of play between beacon missions, just to keep that playful and casual type of multiplayer going.

Get some bounties. They give you an incentive to shoot some stuff.

LordofPwn

Just went to gamestop for pre-sale. Got group 1 and apparently I'm getting 1 of 2 PS4 Ghost Editions, out of the 200-300 people showing up. Talk about limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom