• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider

I feel like Bungie has the ability to fix most of the current problems the game has, and they've said they will be looking to player suggestions for future patches. If the bosses don't feel fulfilling, they'll probably change that.

Yea I'm expecting great post launch support. Where the game is at launch and where it wil be months/years from now will be completely different. Just like Diablo 3 I expect it to get much, much better over time.

Oscar

Saw this "short game" controversy coming a mile away.

Sucks for you non PvP/Crucible fans. Hopefully Bungie comes through with some steady content.

Thats bullshit.

There is an ebgames 5 minutes away from me. I pre ordered the game digitally so I don't need to go to a store at midnight. Now I have to wait an extra 3 hours even though the game is out physically.

The game should go live according to midnight of the countries time. If you are in EST it goes live midnight EST, and if you are in PST it goes live for PST when its midnight there.

Now you are just fucking over people in the EST

There's an eb games 5 minutes from me too. I can waste two hours in line or sleep for six hours. I pick the latter.

" I rushed through the game as quickly as possible, didn't so any side missions or strike missions or raids or PVP. Feels like the game lacks content! "

Gotta get those clicks.

Reviewers should take their time with games and explore as much as possible. Shame that doesn't happen enough.

I'm getting a physical copy of this game at midnight tonight. I joined one of the GAF group things at bungie.net, I'm pretty sure I'm making a Titan. Anything else I should do at the last minute before I get this thing?

I don't even think Halo has that great of a narrative, honestly. Just an easy comparison to make for obvious reasons.

I don't expect it to have the narrative quality of Last Of Us either, for that matter.

That's completely besides the point. I don't really have an opinion on the Halo story at all. It's just dumb to throw out the "oh hurr dur you shouldn't have expected Halo" line just because people expected a good story.

Because North America is a single region with multiple time zones. Blame the people who invented time zones I guess. I don't think they envisioned a future where people could get things instantaneously across large geographical areas. They figured things would always be like the new dalliance by mr. Charles dickens, and no one could read it until the ship dropped off the latest chap, and those gold miner towns out in the Dakotas had to wait, hands clasped, at the door of Charlie Utter and Freight, for weeks, until wagon up and dropped of a crate of their own copies. And they'd read it that night.

And then the waiting began anew.

Timezones isn't really the issue, it's turning on the servers for everyone to experience the game in each timezone. How is it hurting PDT players by turning the EST servers on 3 hours ahead?

Effnine

Why are so many people being so negative about the game? I'm seeing more downers than people being hyped in here. I should have left the thread when I said I would earlier. It's only gotten worse as the day progressed.

This is what it was like during the beta ... just people dissing the game left and right for no reason ... best to just play and stay away from here ... the negativity seems so forced in these Destiny threads ...

kasane

im still not sure what bungie is trying to do with this game

it seems like a jack of all trades master of non affair.

i hope there are events that can suddenly change the world you play in and other people comes in or some shit.

will wait for review

MMaRsu

does anyone know if the game restrict players to a single country? I'm in Italy and I thought I would meet European players but there is only Italians in the Tower. There's like 5 or 6 players! It's disheartening, the place is fucking deserted.
Console (XB1) is set on English and UK, but I bought the game on the Italian store.

I think it matches people up who are close together. In explore mode id run into other dutch or even belgian people a lot.

Wallach

I'm getting a physical copy of this game at midnight tonight. I joined one of the GAF group things at bungie.net, I'm pretty sure I'm making a Titan. Anything else I should do at the last minute before I get this thing?

Add all the known codes once you have your Bungie account linked to your PSN/XBL account. There's a Reddit post that has all of the known ones. Also check out the DestinyGAF page and figure out which sub-group you need to apply to so you can have a clan in-game.

Trace

Banned
Timezones isn't really the issue, it's turning on the servers for everyone to experience the game in each timezone. How is it hurting PDT players by turning the EST servers on 3 hours ahead?

I still think everyone should have had to wait until 12 PST for servers to online, physical or not.

But people would be even saltier than they are now. Such is life.

VinFTW

Everything in Borderlands was a bullet sponge. Don't get me wrong I liked both Borderlands, but the bullet sponging made me enjoy it less then I would have done.

I don't know if I can agree with you. Can't speak for raid bosses in Destiny but so far UVHM raid bosses in BL2 required a lot of skill/teamwork.

bob page

I'm not sure if I'm going crazy but I think the graphics look a bit more refined than the beta/alpha. Maybe a bit less jaggies & less muddy? (PS4 version)

Also, the place that broke the street date in NYC had about 15 people in line- every sale was for PS4 except one XB1 copy.

Foxix Von

nod020.gif

I personally didn't really expect them to have huge changes from the Beta to the retail game but the fact that when designing the game the only mission type they designed is what we saw in the Beta I.E all the missions on earth and the one on the moon is pretty shocking. What was going through their mind when they thought hold square to deploy ghost, then defend ghost was the only kind of variety they needed? That's just baffling.

Well I haven't played the game and I'll be playing it tomorrow but I think people were expecting the missions in the beta to be just the intro and basic missions but and as you go further in the game when the retail releases, you'll see different types of mission. But the fact that most impressions about the game just keep saying the missions are still structured the same after Earth and the Moon is rather fucking disappointing and quite perplexing.

To be honest what you're describing as mission type is really just a dressing. In the end, everything you do in combat games is fight waves of bad guys, travel to another area, fight more bad guys, then boss fight. Rinse, repeat. Pushing square to have the ghost scan something is just window dressing for starting an encounter. What makes each encounter different is the enemy types, their different AI, and weaknesses, and any specific mechanics necessary to kill special enemies. If that window dressing is really that important to you, then ok I guess? I mean when it comes down to it, this is exactly how all FPS campaigns play with the only unique elements being jumping into a turret or something, which is typically still just shooting stuff, but with a new gun. One could argue that things like the Sword accomplish that within Destiny as well.

Is there a point to roaming around and fighting enemies besides the small amount of XP? It would be cool if the game gave you dynamic challenges if a certain number of players were in the area. Say, you and some guys are fighting near each other in Old Russia, the game could give you an option to survive a few waves, or take down enemies within a certain time. If the players all help out, you're guaranteed some nice piece of gear or cash.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of just hanging out with randoms right now, even if some of the emergent gameplay is kinda fun. I suspect this will die out as players get to know the game, and that's a shame. The most fun I've had right now is just running around old russia taking down lvl 8 enemies with random players just running by. It would be awesome if there was some sort of incentive for this. Like a dynamic fire team system or something for short bursts of play between beacon missions, just to keep that playful and casual type of multiplayer going.

There are dynamic events that pop up that do exactly what you're asking about. They happen randomly when you're in Explore/Patrol and they vary from protecting satellites, chasing down a unique mob as it tries to run away from you, and a few other missions as well. It does reward you with Glimmer, and faction rep and if you do 5 (?) in a day, you get a reward from the Postmaster.

Explore/Patrol is also the best mode to use to gather resources like Spin Metal that you'll need to upgrade your weapons and armor. Grab some bounties and do some beacon missions as well to really get the most bang for your buck in terms of time spent in that mode.

The servers are up. People around the world are playing. Bungie's servers have nothing to do with it. Sorny and ms just need to send out a single signal and unlock what's already been downloaded by millions.

It's hurting PDT retailers. Players, clearly, don't factor into it unfortunately.

Winter John

Played for an hour without any problems. It was just as enjoyable as I remember. I did get a notice about loss of connection to the PSN network but it must have only been for a minute or two. I'm surprised the servers have held up, but that's great. Looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

TheContact

With sub classes and the abilities you can choose within them, are you able to "respec" them? If so, does it just cost money or how do you go about doing that?

That's completely besides the point. I don't really have an opinion on the Halo story at all. It's just dumb to throw out the "oh hurr dur you shouldn't have expected Halo" line just because people expected a good story.

Ok. You do realize a lot of people are actually expecting this to be like halo though, right? It's an apt comparison, regarding the narrative and the gameplay. Sorry you don't like that.

Just got my PS4 Gold headset. Holy shit, these are amazing. Don't know how good it is for chatting until I play a multiplayer game, but based off sound alone I'm really impressed. The presets make a big difference. Think I read that Destiny is getting a custom one as well?

Also got a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper, which means I'm all set for Destiny tonight. Been getting a ton of friend requests from here, so I can't wait to play with everyone.

jaosobno

Well he is complaining that for an MMO it doesn't have a lot of content, and is also complaining that it doesn't have split screen.

Well, if he (or anyone else) expected an MMO, no wonder he was disappointed.

I expect a fun FPS with somewhat broadened online functionality. I trust I won't be disappointed (beta was very fun).

Vhagar

Neo Member
Anybody from AU want the free 1 month trial for ps+ that comes with Destiny? I don't need it, nor am I eligible to ever use it.
Maybe not appropriate for this thread.

I got one of those as well and the restrictions on its use seem stupid. You can't redeem it if you're subscribed to plus or if you have ever subscribed to plus. Doesn't every PS4 come with a 1 month trial which means just about no one will be able to use those codes.

Nothing in Borderlands takes as long as the Spider tank lol

If you can't fight something it'll just kill you to let you know not to bother anymore. Kill times are really high here

Oh I know that I was just pointing out that if you think the Bosses in Borderlands were bullet sponges so were the ones in the Destiny Beta. I do think the Raid bosses that added to Borderlands 2 were a little bullet spongey mostly Voracidous the Invincible but that's beside the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom