• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemul

What'd you expect lol

It was fun just to waste money on buying the most expensive ship and Sparrow, just because I could, now I'm going to be stuck with the poverty noob ship and sparrow.

Oh, I forgot to mention, anyone in the UK who is planning on taking advantage of the free digital upgrade to next gen deal, the 360 digital version of Destiny popped up on Games on Demand around an hour ago.

I really don't get the complaints about the story being weak. No loot-centric game has ever had a quality narrative. 10 Hours in and nobody cares about why you're shooting aliens in the face, you only care about what sweet new gear they're gonna drop.

This isn't Halo. It's never going to be Halo. It's a Sci-Fi FPS with a focus on loot and cooperative gameplay. If you're expecting Halo, prepare to be disappointed.

Stoze

Sounds like a Bungie game to be honest.

Great gameplay, horseshit narrative qualities.

Yeah I don't know why people have high expectations about the campaign. I think Bungie's never ending barrage of somewhat interesting lore and world design for their games makes people think in-game stories will be interesting and have decent execution. Nope, they have always sucked, in my opinion of course.

I've never cared about the story in Bungie games and have set my expectations accordingly after Halo 2. I've yet to be disappointed.

I dont understand the reason behind this? To allow the physical copy owners to play first? doesnt make sense to me. Shouldn't be the other way around?

Initial load balancing one can presume. Minimising the impact of launch on the servers. Digital copies are presumably easier to specify release date/times for.

Xamdou

Just went to gamestop for pre-sale. Got group 1 and apparently I'm getting 1 of 2 PS4 Ghost Editions, out of the 200-300 people showing up. Talk about limited.

Did u preorder the ghost or they allowed u to preorder a ghost just for the pre-sale?

Also does Gamestop give free swag during their midnight launches?

sjay1994

Have we ever got a solid answer as to why this is the case? It's madness.

I'm blaming Sony.

There is no other explanation. Servers are up. They don't go live at 3:am. Not to mention, sony has done this stupid unlocking at random times before. Also I swear on the Canadian PSN store advertised on Destiny it said "unlocks at midnight".

3:AM is not midnight.

Lima

From the patch notes:

- "Treasure chest glimmer drop rate reduced, but added Materials to loot table. Treasure chests now have a small chance to award large drops of additional Glimmer, Materials, Engrams, and Consumables."

Yeah I guess they made the few chests that actually do spawn now more valuable. Fine with me. I really wanted to farm some glimmer now though cause my friends went to bed and I don't wanna level up to much without them. Might just start a new character.

Yeah I don't know why people have high expectations about the campaign. I think Bungie's never ending barrage of somewhat interesting lore and world design for their games makes people think in-game stories will be interesting and have decent execution. Nope, they have always sucked, in my opinion of course.

I've never cared about the story in Bungie games and have set my expectations accordingly after Halo 2. I've yet to be disappointed.

C'mon, Halo 2 was a low point, it got better... (3, ODST & Reach)

MMaRsu

I really don't get the complaints about the story being weak. No loot-centric game has ever had a quality narrative. 10 Hours in and nobody cares about why you're shooting aliens in the face, you only care about what sweet new gear they're gonna drop.

This isn't Halo. It's never going to be Halo. It's a Sci-Fi FPS with a focus on loot and cooperative gameplay. If you're expecting Halo, prepare to be disappointed.

What about the mission variety? Im not expecting Halo in set pieces etc but come on just one mission structure?

Aka Firefight: The Game?

VanWinkle

Granted, I only played the Destiny beta, but it doesn't seem nearly as loot-focused as games like Borderlands and Diablo, so... where does it stand?

And, from what people said, it has a whole other problem in the form of mission variety.

Furyous

Completed all the earth and moon missions. This game has been a real slog to go through. Same damn mission over and over. Venus is up next, if Things dont ramp up then i can see this game getting mediocre reviews across the board.

Just my opinion guys. Dont crucify me.

Typing on phone. Sorry for spelling

Thanks for your impressions! I only speak for myself when I state that this is very helpful and will help my purchasing decision.

My main fear is that the game is as repetitive as the beta implied. I've watched live review feeds all day through IGN and the other thread I replied in. In that specific regard, in my opinion, the beta was not helpful for me. Obviously, everyone else felt different about it. Angry Joe said that he was disappointed because he came in thinking this was an MMO.

If go into this game with the mindset that it's a modern Borderlands without the personality then I should be fine. However, it could get boring quickly. I hope they patch in the ability to trade weapons between characters on the same console only.

I'll wait for the reviews to come out before forming a complete opinion on the game.

*EDIT*

LOL at someone mentioning the poverty noob ship. Can I steal that? Watch Bungie or someone else include DLC ships in a game.

bryanee

Just had a bunch of fun with it on PS4. Plenty of people online playing it. I'll get stuck into it properly tomorrow.

Trace

Banned
Granted, I only played the Destiny beta, but it doesn't seem nearly as loot-focused as games like Borderlands and Diablo, so... where does it stand?

While it's not as loot focused as Diablo, I'd say it's probably around as loot-focused as Borderlands. Maybe even more so because the entire last 33% of levels are entirely gear dependent.

Is there a point to roaming around and fighting enemies besides the small amount of XP? It would be cool if the game gave you dynamic challenges if a certain number of players were in the area. Say, you and some guys are fighting near each other in Old Russia, the game could give you an option to survive a few waves, or take down enemies within a certain time. If the players all help out, you're guaranteed some nice piece of gear or cash.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of just hanging out with randoms right now, even if some of the emergent gameplay is kinda fun. I suspect this will die out as players get to know the game, and that's a shame. The most fun I've had right now is just running around old russia taking down lvl 8 enemies with random players just running by. It would be awesome if there was some sort of incentive for this. Like a dynamic fire team system or something for short bursts of play between beacon missions, just to keep that playful and casual type of multiplayer going.
You mean public events?

MMaRsu

While it's not as loot focused as Diablo, I'd say it's probably around as loot-focused as Borderlands. Maybe even more so because the entire last 33% of levels are entirely gear dependent.

Well bosses in Borderlands drop sick loot. Here bosses drop no loot.

People really don't understand the atomic shitstorm if ms and sorny opened the DL versions at midnight est in na? And no one shows up at the Oregon best buy because they've been playing it for three hours already?

And then best buy stops selling video games?

Don't blame sorny or ms. It's the retailers. It's the Stone Age system of physical media grabbing on to the future from the grave, bony fingers never ceasing it's grasp of the fast fleeing leg of progress.

sjay1994

God damn it

opMRPdw.jpg

SONY!

THEY PLAYED ME LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE!

I saw the word midnight.... I didn't read PST.

What about the mission variety? Im not expecting Halo in set pieces etc but come on just one mission structure?

Aka Firefight: The Game?

Personally, I don't really care about repetition as long as there's a payoff at the end. Diablo 3 is obscenely repetitive (kill giant mob, check map, kill giant mob, get loot, repeat.) but I absolutely love it. Destiny scratches that same itch for me in glossy FPS form.

I honestly think it's going to sell like gangbusters, but the game will be divisive. People are going to expect it to be more narrative based I think.

MMaRsu

You mean public events?

And how often do these show up? During all my time with the beta I saw it happen like three maybe four times.

Also, how varied are these events? What rewards do they offer?

Or did they not say anything about it.

So physical owners will get to play the game before a lot of US digital owners? Because that's kind of funny. Like, I'm chuckling at the ridiculousness funny.

LordofPwn

Did u preorder the ghost or they allowed u to preorder a ghost just for the pre-sale?

Also does Gamestop give free swag during their midnight launches?
I pre-ordered. Did the transaction at 6 to get my group number so I can show up around midnight and just pick it up.

And yes for swag. Got a poster and bracelet, they are also doing face paintings too

Trace

Banned
Well bosses in Borderlands drop sick loot. Here bosses drop no loot.

Are we sure that raid bosses won't? Seems counterproductive to have a huge long raid like that, that you can save progress and come back to if none of it drops guaranteed loot until the end.

People really don't understand the atomic shitstorm if ms and sorny opened the DL versions at midnight est in na? And no one shows up at the Oregon best buy because they've been playing it for three hours already?

And then best buy stops selling video games?

Don't blame sorny or ms. It's the retailers. It's the Stone Age system of physical media grabbing on to the future from the grave, bony fingers never ceasing it's grasp of the fast fleeing leg of progress.
Physical rules, heathen.

PuMa

And how often do these show up? During all my time with the beta I saw it happen like three maybe four times.

Also, how varied are these events? What rewards do they offer?

Or did they not say anything about it.
Only three or four?? Hour much did you play? I saw dozens of public events and don't log crazy hours. Spent a decent amount of time in explore though.

Xamdou

I pre-ordered. Did the transaction at 6 to get my group number so I can show up around midnight and just pick it up.

And yes for swag. Got a poster and bracelet, they are also doing face paintings too

Wait you got a poster and bracelet when you went at 6!?

the timezone thing is bullshit. If that was really the case.

If'we're waiting on "bungie time" on EST why isn't everyone waiting on Bungie time? What would be the issue with having the servers up for those on the EST?

So now I'm 3 hours behind the physically copy of the game, which seems to be a disadvantage to me buying it digitally, not to mention not being able to trade it in, No price difference in exchange for what? Not having to swap disc?

I'm fucking pissed.

/rant

Trace

Banned
I fully expect this to change as they balance the game. Bungie is out of their damn minds if they expect people to play repetitive mission scenarios with no payoff after killing a boss.

I feel like Bungie has the ability to fix most of the current problems the game has, and they've said they will be looking to player suggestions for future patches. If the bosses don't feel fulfilling, they'll probably change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom