• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the general consensus was that this was kind of like Halo anyway?

Still besides the point. Throwing out that comment in response to people expecting a good story makes no damn sense. No matter how many sidebars you try to throw in.

Do not expect Destiny to have a good story.

There, is that better?

sjay1994

Well, if he (or anyone else) expected an MMO, no wonder he was disappointed.

I expect a fun FPS with somewhat broadened online functionality. I trust I won't be disappointed (beta was very fun).

I think this is the biggest problem with Destiny because a lot of people are not sure what it is. This review is complaining it lacks the qualities found in MMO's, yet is yearning for stuff like splitscreen.

Although the one thing I will agree with him on is the bestiary seems limited.

The servers are up. People around the world are playing. Bungie's servers have nothing to do with it. Sorny and ms just need to send out a single signal and unlock what's already been downloaded by millions.

It's hurting PDT retailers. Players, clearly, don't factor into it unfortunately.

How it is hurting PDT retailers at all? it's not like people are crossing time zones to buy a copy elsewhere then drive back home

Fitts

Whew, well played since the servers went online at 2 p.m. on Monday.
Lvl 17 with a Warlock already, this game is a lot of fun in MultiPlayer.
This game is the only FPS I like playing online against other people.
Haven't played much of the story, still on Earth and I can select Moon,
and 4 modes of Crucible and Strike Missions.
Game is huge fun so far.

Glad you're enjoying it and thanks for posting!

So you've played mostly PVP, have barely touched PVE, and have already made it to level 20? Interesting... have you earned any cool loot simply by playing Crucible?

Foxix Von

So here is the thing.

Destiny is going to be my first bungie game.

Are the stories in the Halo games they did good?

Because the story stuff in the beta/alpha (and I am guessing is the same stuff most of these impressions are based on since beta began from the beginning of the game) felt like nothingness.

Ehhhh, sorta. I mean the real meat of the halo universe is in it's expanded universe material. A lot of the stuff my Eric Nylund is fantastic. While the universe itself can be very compelling, the stuff presented in the actual games can be a little lackluster but definitely enjoyable.

Except for Halo 4. Halo 4 was a fucking trainwreck.

BLCKATK

I'm worried about the narrative but I'm also the type of person that became so engrossed in Dark Souls narrative and finding the items and the areas that gave the hints. I feel like the Grimoire cards, the dead ghosts and the flavor text on some of the equipment will scratch this itch, but it's only an assumption.

For those who have played the game, what do you think?

sjay1994

Whew, well played since the servers went online at 2 p.m. on Monday.
Lvl 17 with a Warlock already, this game is a lot of fun in MultiPlayer.
This game is the only FPS I like playing online against other people.
Haven't played much of the story, still on Earth and I can select Moon,
and 4 modes of Crucible and Strike Missions.
Game is huge fun so far.

Wow. It seems pretty easy to level up. Isn't 20 the cap?

Badgerst3

Confused. When does west coast USA get to play digital?

Seems like a reverse digital penalty if later than midnight west coast time.

This game will be super btw. The fact that I am in the Sierra mountains hiking and can't play till Saturday has no bearing on my smugness. Digital preorder here. Hunter ftw.

MattyG

Banned
GUYS, I still don't know if I want to get this. I'm not 100% hyped for it, but I feel like it's too big of a deal to pass up on. I'm just worried that it'll be too repetitive or that I'll get bored with it quickly.

If I do get it, I feel like I should go to the midnight launch in case they sell out, but I have class at 8 tomorrow. Help me
decide
GAF, you're my only hope.

Trace

Banned
How it is hurting PDT retailers at all? it's not like people are crossing time zones to buy a copy elsewhere then drive back home

He means why would anyone buy a physical copy in PDT at midnight when you could play a copy at home at 9. The main drawback of the physical midnight release is you actually have to go, stand in line to pick it up, and go back home.

Wow. It seems pretty easy to level up. Isn't 20 the cap?

30 is the cap. You can get to 20 by leveling up, 30 is obtained by increasing the "Light" stat on your gear.

Fitts

Do not expect Destiny to have a good story.

There, is that better?

I've rarely enjoyed Halo's single player so I'm expecting the same. (stated subjectively, of course) All I'm expecting is an extension of what I experienced in the Alpha/Beta: good times with friends!

Victrix

*beard*
So here is the thing.

Because the story stuff in the beta/alpha (and I am guessing is the same stuff most of these impressions are based on since beta began from the beginning of the game) felt like nothingness.

They're ok. The in-game story is alright, annoyingly the bulk of the really interesting stuff happens off camera, and you have to dig into secrets to find it.

They do create interesting worlds though.

If you're going in looking for an epic story with a satisfying conclusion you'll be disappointed, but if you're going in looking for an epic world to explore and experience, you'll probably enjoy it.

GUYS, I still don't know if I want to get this. I'm not 100% hyped for it, but I feel like it's too big of a deal to pass up on. I'm just worried that it'll be too repetitive or that I'll get bored with it quickly.

If I do get it, I feel like I should go to the midnight launch in case they sell out, but I have class at 8 tomorrow. Help me
decide

Did you play the beta? That's what sold me.

Also, get the game and skip class

Einbroch

Banned

decide

Live in the US? Have a Redbox? I would assume this game will be all over them in the next week or so. If you're on the fence, can't go wrong with renting.

Glad you're enjoying it and thanks for posting!

So you've played mostly PVP, have barely touched PVE, and have already made it to level 20? Interesting... have you earned any cool loot simply by playing Crucible?

You're welcome :),
Well yes because of the bounties, you get hge EXP amounts out of them, most 5000 or 3750 EXP, there are ones for the Story missions and Crucible as well.
And yes, got my Legendary armor from the crucible, and also many rare weapons, also got an Emote of Light from there, pretty scare those things though.
I also can change classes between voidwalker and sunsinger.
Sunsinger is more the buff type, and Voidwalker more the damage dealer type.

@sjay
Cap is at 20, with Emotes of Light you can go up to LVL 30.

This game will be super btw. The fact that I am in the Sierra mountains hiking and can't play till Saturday has no bearing on my smugness. Digital preorder here. Hunter ftw.
We'll be playing at exactly midnight.

SnakeEyes

Banned

decide
Then don't get it if you're not sure.

aro52

Midnight Pacific. Have you preloaded your digital preorder? It'll have a nice big countdown clock you can stare at. [and yell at to move faster!]

decide

I'm waiting a little while before I buy it. I loved the Alpha and the Beta...but I'm not feeling the immediate need for it like I thought I would.

Kinda hard to resist buying it, though. I love being apart of big-name launches.

Respect

Is the Vanguard worth it? Or typical preorder items that get outclassed quickly?

Think its up to level 10 items, so yeah, would probably get outclassed fairly quick. All stuff you can get access to in-game eventually as well, this just unlocks it early if you pre-order.

ecurbj

llOYohAl.png

I saw this earlier. But I was to busy but happy its on its way!!

sgiipPGl.png

I've rarely enjoyed Halo's single player so I'm expecting the same. (stated subjectively, of course) All I'm expecting is an extension of what I experienced in the Alpha/Beta: good times with friends!

This and the loot grind are the reasons I'm buying the game. Playing the Beta with my friends and fellow Gaffers was crazy fun.

MattyG

Banned
Also, does this come with a PS+ trial pack in or anything? Mine expired last month, I'd love it if I didn't have to pay for the resub for a couple more weeks. If not I'll just get a month or three, no biggie.
Did you play the beta? That's what sold me.

Also, get the game and skip class
I played the alpha, which did NOT sell me entirely. I had fun, but there wasn't enought stuff for me to tell if I'd like the whole game.

I wish I could skip this class. I got one of those professors who sets a very strict limit on how much you can skip before points get taken off.
Live in the US? Have a Redbox? I would assume this game will be all over them in the next week or so. If you're on the fence, can't go wrong with renting.
Ohhh, this is a good idea.
Then don't get it if you're not sure.
Fair enough advice.
I'm waiting a little while before I buy it. I loved the Alpha and the Beta...but I'm not feeling the immediate need for it like I thought I would.

Kinda hard to resist buying it, though. I love being apart of big-name launches.
The worlds are colliding again, Lukas.

I'm totally with you on that. I was so hyped for this a few months ago, now I just feel kind of meh. I just feel like I should but it though.

Robbit

Banned
So here is the thing.

It's a video game. Keep your expectations low when it comes to story and dialog.

Krilekk

Banned
So here is the thing.

They are pretty average. You don't play Bungie games for story, you do it for gameplay. Halo had incredible AI and engaging encounters. Sadly that's not present in Destiny, I saw two bosses killed by standing still in a spot while the AI was also standing still and not able to shoot the player and enemies are mostly just straight rushing towards the player, no strategy involved. A fire team in Halo reacts to grenades, the loss of team leaders, kills in a row, player health, which makes for very varied experiences where enemies can even tilt and run away from you. Not in Destiny, just wave after wave of the same respawning enemies.

Korten

Banned
One other worry I have about the game, and this is echoing others, is the story. From what I played in the beta, I LIKED the story missions. That being said, where was the Cortana's? Master Chiefs? Prophets? Johnson's?

I think in the beta there was: You, Ghost, that tower masked guy, and that mysterious exo. Maybe we just haven't gotten far, but I fear the story will be pretty barebones with not a large cast of characters. :(

No of course not. Why would they do that when they can buy and download it from the console store at 9:01.

That is the fear. I understand that there are ways to ensure that the game unlocks only for those in the right time zone but I'd imagine retailers are concerned that it would take less than an hour for a west coast exploit to be uncovered.

I don't think people realize how many sales would be lost on the west coast in physical copies if people all of a sudden could get it early from their iphone app. I mean, there were people today reconfiguring their XBO and buying from HK just to get it a few hours early.

sjay1994

They're ok. The in-game story is alright, annoyingly the bulk of the really interesting stuff happens off camera, and you have to dig into secrets to find it.

They do create interesting worlds though.

If you're going in looking for an epic story with a satisfying conclusion you'll be disappointed, but if you're going in looking for an epic world to explore and experience, you'll probably enjoy it.

Hmm. Ok. Will keep expectations in check.

But you are right about the world building. Destiny is one of the few games I can remember where I stopped to just admire the scenery.

He means why would anyone buy a physical copy in PDT at midnight when you could play a copy at home at 9. The main drawback of the physical midnight release is you actually have to go, stand in line to pick it up, and go back home.

30 is the cap. You can get to 20 by leveling up, 30 is obtained by increasing the "Light" stat on your gear.

Sony and MS could dole out licenses based on ip timezones. Win win for everyone, but I guess they don't have the infrastructure. Really it's on them as a retailer to have the means to release at midnight in each timezone. Just like physical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom