• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Do different classes handle certain weapon types better or worse than others? Like Titans hand heavy weapons better than a Warlock or all they all the same?

I want to use heavy weapons but I want to roll Warlock to be a Kamen Rider.

You dismantle it, getting money and the materials left behind for improving legendary wpns or armor.

Regarding the topic of dismantling weapons.... real spoilers ahead...

I just hit level 15 and I still haven't found enough disposable uncommon weapons to even carry out a single slot upgrade on a single weapon. The upgrade for more damage costs 16 weapon parts.

Most of the weapons that were classified in the beta as uncommon are definitely not in the retail version - and thats the lowest level gear that will give you weapon parts. This also explains why encoded engrams did not drop even once after an hour and a half in Skywatch. In the beta you could get at least 3-5 in that period of time. The weapons have been reclassified to simply common, so only common stuff drops there.

A TON of common gear has great stats though - just no upgrade slots.

Played up to level 9, a few missions past the beta stuff... I hope the other planets are a bit more fun. The genius pacing and level design of past bungie games is just destroyed by a semi-persistent online world. Strike missions are great, music is great, enemies are totally engaging and fun to fight, a.i is good, the polish and attention to detail is off the fucking charts. But yeah, story missions leave a lot to be desired in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up sub 90 on metacritic.

i think the problem with destiny's format is that you don't really get to the 'story missions' until you're in a private space. on old russia, they're almost all indoor buildings. they're much larger on the moon and i imagine that's the case for other places, but you lose the feeling of linear progression from one area to another that bungie was generally good at in the past. a big part of destiny is that "crossroads encounter" - meeting players out in the world doing their own thing. that's cool and all and i'm glad bungie was able to pull it off; however, that inherently takes a huge chunk out of what you can do with the story in that space.

VehiclesFirst-large.jpg

Halo-3-The-Ark-26-Scarab-Vs-Scorpion-Tank.jpg

for perspective, imagine if this part of halo 3 was a public space. that scarab battle wouldn't be there; perhaps it'd be a randomly occurring public event, but most of the time this area would only be populated by a few static enemy spawns. you'll see random players doing their own thing and pass them on your way from one forerunner structure to another, but taking down the scarab is no longer part of the 'mission'. This opens up the potential for every story playthrough to be unique, but it simultaneously narrows their scope. hence the disjointed feeling many people have expressed.

E92 M3

I let e-peer pressure get to me and I bought Watch_Dogs DIGITALLY on release for PS4. I paid $70 for it. Not that I'm comparing WD to Destiny, a game made by one of my favorite devs of last gen and one that I've actually already tried, but it really isn't on my radar as a 'must play.' I know I wouldn't be playing it after Driveclub comes out and certainly not after GTA V makes it's PS4 debut.

Well, with WD it obviously just another Ubi game. This is Bungie...an yeah Horizon 2 and MCC collection. Tough choices.

BLCKATK

That's...kind of boring lol. Thanks for the answer though!

From what we've seen, seems like the first 10 levels or so the classes are pretty similar but I guess the depth will come from the higher levels, getting the gear/guns that give you bonus talents for your specialization, and using the higher level talents.

The variation isn't there at the early game though. Pretty rough.

Deku Tree

i think the problem with destiny's format is that you don't really get to the 'story missions' until you're in a private space. on old russia, they're almost all indoor buildings. they're much larger on the moon and i imagine that's the case for other places, but you lose the feeling of linear progression from one area to another that bungie was generally good at in the past. a big part of destiny is that "crossroads encounter" - meeting players out in the world doing their own thing. that's cool and all and i'm glad bungie was able to pull it off; however, that inherently takes a huge chunk out of what you can do with the story in that space.

VehiclesFirst-large.jpg

Halo-3-The-Ark-26-Scarab-Vs-Scorpion-Tank.jpg

for perspective, imagine if this part of halo 3 was a public space. that scarab battle wouldn't be there; perhaps it'd be a randomly occurring public event, but most of the time this area would only be populated by a few static enemy spawns. you'll see random players doing their own thing and pass them on your way from one forerunner structure to another, but taking down the scarab is no longer part of the 'mission'. This opens up the potential for every story playthrough to be unique, but it simultaneously narrows their scope. hence the disjointed feeling many people have expressed.

It was so fun to take down a scarab, or two. I am fully expecting a lot of complainers saying "wait... this isn't Halo? I don't know if I like it."

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
:|

Had some gift cards (BIRTHDAY MONTH and also 'cause of a trade I did) so preordered from Gamestop website for PS4. Somehow getting PS3 version. Can't cancel. Emailed Gamestop support.

Finally drove in to Gamestop in town. They can't cancel either, but I preordered the PS4 version with them. Annoyed.

Don't you get the PS4 version for free with a PS3 version purchase?

I've now spent about 6 hours with the game. In that time I've played through ALL of the story missions on the earth and the moon, done 1 strike and played 5 crucible matches. I'm level 10 and have been taking my time, so by my estimate the "story" content (more on the air quotes later) is 8-9 hours, and it will be about 12 hours to max your level and see all the content.

Initial impressions - this game is a blast, but don't expect it to reinvent the wheel. The gameplay feels like Halo 2 to me, which is great. I can see myself sinking a ton of time into the crucible and I'm already finding myself itching to play more. I had to tear myself away from the xbox.

The story ? It's dogshit. Seriously. I hope it's not what anyone is looking forward to. I have no idea what's going on, or why I'm doing anything that I am. I couldn't spoil it if I tried. Worse, you're often running through the same locations multiple times and every mission follows the EXACT same structure. Follow waypoint, fight some enemies, enter area where you can't respawn, fight a few waves followed by a boss. Dinklage says some stilted dialog. Rinse, repeat.

Foxix Von

I apologize as that was more personal opinion than anything, I've edited my comment.

Oh, hey no need for an apology most of that list was legitimate shit, and you're well entitled to your opinion. I was just surprised to see RPS getting flak.

What tripped your trigger about them?

E92 M3

Regarding the topic of dismantling weapons.... real spoilers ahead...

I just hit level 15 and I still haven't found enough disposable uncommon weapons to even carry out a single slot upgrade on a single weapon. The upgrade for more damage costs 16 weapon parts.

Most of the weapons that were classified in the beta as uncommon are definitely not in the retail version - and thats the lowest level gear that will give you weapon parts. This also explains why encoded engrams did not drop even once after an hour and a half in Skywatch. In the beta you could get at least 3-5 in that period of time. The weapons have been reclassified to simply common, so only common stuff drops there.

A TON of common gear has great stats though - just no upgrade slots.

So does that mean we're better of saving upgrades only for the best weapons? And I thought you can upgrade with use?

Bungie said at earliest next gen versions for old gen buyers will be available at 6pst WEDNESDAY.

WTF!? Where is this info at? Is it only being thrown out onto Twitter? Seriously? IT'S NO WHERE ON ANY OFFICIAL SITE. This pisses me off and now I'm waiting for a support agent to cancel my PS3 version and transfer the purchase to PS4.

It was so fun to take down a scarab, or two. I am fully expecting a lot of complainers saying "wait... this isn't Halo? I don't know if I like it."

Good times. I remember my buds and I would jump on it's hind leg (i think) causing a super jump to get onto the Scarab and ride it.

CREMSteve

WTF!? Where is this info at? Is it only being thrown out onto Twitter? Seriously? IT'S NO WHERE ON ANY OFFICIAL SITE. This pisses me off and now I'm waiting for a support agent to cancel my PS3 version and transfer the purchase to PS4.

Q. If I pre-ordered the PlayStation®3 digital version, when will my PlayStation®4 digital version of Destiny be available?

The PlayStation®4 digital upgrade will be available to you as close to launch as possible. We anticipate the PlayStation®4 version will be ready for you by Wednesday 9/10 at 6pm PDT, but please check back here for updates. Unfortunately, the PlayStation®4 upgrade will NOT be available for pre-order or pre-load.

http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

Epcott

3am... Bah!

I want to play it now, so bad. It's not fair! I'm so tempted to call out on "slick leave". I need to get my raspy voice ready.

halo comparisons are inevitable. it's unrealistic to expect Destiny to be halo 2.0, but i don't think it's entirely invalid when giving them criticism. their pax panel mentioned this too.

if people feel that the story isn't well-knit or meaningful, that's something they'll hopefully look at and fine-tune for expansions and future games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom