• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmr87

First impressions.

Good:

- Decent and clean graphics, great design work
- Inspired areas
- Combat feels great so far
- Fun to see other players in both the missions and the open world segments
- Loot!
- Challenging bosses
- Neat menus

Bad:

- World feels dead and sterile, even with players and enemies fighting at in the open
- Missions are terrible and end abruptly without any real conclusion
- No context to story, characters, world, or anything. Maybe things will be explained, but right now it just feels completely random and without any real emotion or driving force
- Loading times and mission select design is dated and very clunky. Especially visiting the tower
- Player interaction is minimal so far
- Gear and weapons all look the same (although I'm pretty early)
- Respawning enemies in single-player missions could be toned down
- No feeling of leaving any impact on the world
- Press square to ghost

Sounds about right judging from what I played in the beta, we'll see how long this game will hold my interest.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm the only one in line at Best Buy right now...WTF?

Best Buy always seems to have less people at the releases. I know for Watch Dogs there were only a few people at Best Buy, but at least a hundred at the Gamestop down the street. Made me happy I chose Best Buy since it took 1 minute to check out!

I've never bought an expansion pack for any game before, this is the first (maybe only).

I am the same for single player stuff (Wait and see), but after paying full retail for map packs that I knew I was going to buy anyway to play with my brothers, I now just bite the bullet on season passes. Might as well save a few bucks^^

"Q. If I pre-ordered the PlayStation®3 digital version, when will my PlayStation®4 digital version of Destiny be available?

The PlayStation®4 digital upgrade will be available to you as close to launch as possible. We anticipate the PlayStation®4 version will be ready for you by Wednesday 9/10 at 6pm PDT, but please check back here for updates. Unfortunately, the PlayStation®4 upgrade will NOT be available for pre-order or pre-load."

http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

That was not there a couple hours ago and certainly not there when I bought the damn thing.

First impressions.

Good:

- Inspired areas
- Loot!
- Challenging bosses
- Neat menus

Bad:

- World feels dead and sterile, even with players and enemies fighting at in the open
- No context to story, characters, world, or anything. Maybe things will be explained, but right now it just feels completely random and without any real emotion or driving force
- Loading times and mission select design is dated and very clunky. Especially visiting the tower
- Press square to ghost

Ah, shit. This is pretty much what I was afraid of coming out of the beta.

RedAssedApe

Banned
10PM, which is when my store opens for prepaying. At Halo 4 launch there were dozens of people here by now.
Is there an actual event they are holding? Because that sounds super lame if they just make u wait for two hours. Lol

I hope it is like that here in Nashville when I head out in a little. Big crowds make me kind of nervous, lol. I hope BB lets me get my white golds tonight, would suck if they make me drive back out tomorrow.

My bb usually won't let you buy anything other than the game. Hope yours is different.

I'm so tired, I don't know if I can make it till 3am like this. Maybe if I just close my eyes for a little bit...
image.php

Take a nap and set your alarm

kiri

WTF!? Where is this info at? Is it only being thrown out onto Twitter? Seriously? IT'S NO WHERE ON ANY OFFICIAL SITE. This pisses me off and now I'm waiting for a support agent to cancel my PS3 version and transfer the purchase to PS4.

Dude, I know it's Destiny, but chill.

Spare a thought for us guys living in Japan where Destiny is not released for another 2 days!!

Xamdou

10PM, which is when my store opens for prepaying. At Halo 4 launch there were dozens of people here by now.

Prepay!? My local store don't even do that... we just line up then pay and get the game at midnight lol!

At least your guaranteed a Destiny t-shirt for being among the first in line.

TheZink

First impressions.

Good:

- Inspired areas
- Loot!
- Challenging bosses
- Neat menus

Bad:

- Press square to ghost

This is why I passed on it. Some people may love it but I could tell from the beta and alpha this is not my kind of game.

i think the problem with destiny's format is that you don't really get to the 'story missions' until you're in a private space. on old russia, they're almost all indoor buildings. they're much larger on the moon and i imagine that's the case for other places, but you lose the feeling of linear progression from one area to another that bungie was generally good at in the past. a big part of destiny is that "crossroads encounter" - meeting players out in the world doing their own thing. that's cool and all and i'm glad bungie was able to pull it off; however, that inherently takes a huge chunk out of what you can do with the story in that space.

VehiclesFirst-large.jpg

Halo-3-The-Ark-26-Scarab-Vs-Scorpion-Tank.jpg

for perspective, imagine if this part of halo 3 was a public space. that scarab battle wouldn't be there; perhaps it'd be a randomly occurring public event, but most of the time this area would only be populated by a few static enemy spawns. you'll see random players doing their own thing and pass them on your way from one forerunner structure to another, but taking down the scarab is no longer part of the 'mission'. This opens up the potential for every story playthrough to be unique, but it simultaneously narrows their scope. hence the disjointed feeling many people have expressed.

Yep, exactly what i was trying to express. In my limited experience so far, the sacrifices made to level design aren't worth it, the online world doesn't even feel that persistent. It's a matter of taste though, some people will prefer this more segmented and repetitive style, the loot and leveling will spur them through it. But i think people who enjoyed halo solely for the campaign are in for a bit of a shock.

First impressions.

Good:

- Inspired areas
- Loot!
- Challenging bosses
- Neat menus

Bad:

- Press square to ghost
yup sounds about right from those beta missions

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It nothing else gets fixed with the load times, they atleast need to patch in a direct to tower option. No reason for it to make you go to space each time.

UPS has held my Ghost Edition in the same place for over 12 hours now. I go to bed in sadness. Hopefully it's here by tomorrow. Good night, neogaf. Happy gaming. Despite all the naysayers (which are inevitable in any game as big as Destiny), I look forward greatly to plying Destiny tomorrow- and I wish you all a fun time.

CREMSteve

It nothing else gets fixed with the load times, they atleast need to patch in a direct to tower option. No reason for it to make you go to space each time.

Diablo 3 has spoiled me. Jumping from dungeon to town at the click of a button, no loading to speak of... every game should be like that.

UPS has held my Ghost Edition in the same place for over 12 hours now. I go to bed in sadness. Hopefully it's here by tomorrow. Good night, neogaf. Happy gaming. Despite all the naysayers (which are inevitable in any game as big as Destiny), I look forward greatly to plying Destiny tomorrow- and I wish you all a fun time.

No kidding. I literally hit 'submit reply' and hit F5 on my other tab (which I did right before hitting submit, by the way), and suddenly the package has left the courier facility. HURRAY PROGRESS!

hemo memo

Gold Member
I am the same for single player stuff (Wait and see), but after paying full retail for map packs that I knew I was going to buy anyway to play with my brothers, I now just bite the bullet on season passes. Might as well save a few bucks^^

Yeah single player (I'm not into PvP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom