• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

stb

Anyone wanna join me for nightfall? I cleared the first section and I'm almost done with the second

PSN - EyelessOrphan

I may die, so be quick about it

Thanks! Sorry I wasn't of more help, the level curve was really nasty for the NF, and I'm only 29. Like I said on the chat, if it makes you feel any better I couldn't use the gloves, so it's a shard.

border

Is there any reason for me to do the Urn quest if I don't need a 33 light gauntlet? Does the quests give exp or Eris reputation?

The last mission of the Urn quest is awesome. And I also got a Legendary Special Engram for it, along with 6 motes of light (did it at Level 30 difficulty).

border

i'd have liked it more if it didn't happen in an area of the game i already fought in a million times.

What makes that mission great is (no spoilers) the weapons you are given, the environmental hazards you face, and the massive number of enemies. It's unlike anything else in the game, and really quite challenging. I don't think having a slightly different room layout or different textures on the walls would have made much difference.

Has anyone bought either of the new vanguard warlock chest pieces? I want to know what the bottom of the robes look like before I purchase them.

What makes that mission great is (no spoilers) the weapons you are given, the environmental hazards you face, and the massive number of enemies. It's unlike anything else in the game, and really quite challenging. I don't think having a slightly different room layout or different textures on the walls would have made much difference.

after realizing how inefficient it was, i ignored it and just used fatebringer lol.

never bring a knife to a gun fight

X-Frame

Someone here said that when they dismantled a near-fully leveled exotic that it gave them 2 Exotic Shards.

What are the conditions on getting 2 shards? If it's like regular Legendary weapons, you can just dump XP into them and not actually purchase any of the upgrades and if you dismantle it I believe you get a lot more Energy from it. Same with weapons now?

border

after realizing how inefficient it was, i ignored it and just used fatebringer lol.

never bring a knife to a gun fight

Personally I would never bring
a hand cannon to a Thrall fight
, but if it works for you then I am glad that you had fun. Seems a shame to play it that way when your opportunity to use special weapons are so limited it other story quests.

Got my raid chest, legs and gauntlets. Going to get an exotic helmet. Should be level 32 whenever I get enough shards. I have 3 opportunities to get at least 2 shards 3 times per character (shard drop or dismantling raid armor). 3 characters, 6 shards each, 18 shards a week minimum.

Level 32 soon..eventually.. If better stats for my legs and chest drop I will dismantle them but I like my gauntlets so I'm investing my shards in that one first.

Thanks! Sorry I wasn't of more help, the level curve was really nasty for the NF, and I'm only 29. Like I said on the chat, if it makes you feel any better I couldn't use the gloves, so it's a shard.
No worries man. Every bit of damage helps. Even distractions help so I could unload a few Patience and Time shots. Plus it's just nice having someone provide a safety net in case I die.

ocean

Banned
so what's the good word? anyone buy any upgrades from xur yet? (for exotics) how do they work? and whats the xur urn quest? was curious for later tonight....

Xûr has a series of weapons and armor available to upgrade. In order to upgrade you need to equip the weapon you want to trade and "buy" the upgrade for 1 Exotic Shard and ~7,500 Glimmer. If you don't have an Exotic Shard you can buy one from Xûr for 7 Strange Coins or get one by sharding an Exotic item.

After the purchase, your equipped Exotic will have all upgrade nodes reset but will begin at the new base stats (30 Light for Armor, 302 Attack for Weapons). These Exotics you upgrade have a 5% XP boost to help you level them up more quickly. If you've also completed the Weekly Nightfall, the bonus XP buffs stack (you get a total of 31.25% XP buff).

Personally I would never bring
a hand cannon to a Thrall fight
, but if it works for you then I am glad that you had fun. Seems a shame to play it that way when your opportunity to use special weapons are so limited it other story quests.

i mean, i tried it, saw all the exploding thralls and identified the mind games they were playing at.
i died and gave up lol

plus i've had enough of the sword now. the novelty wore out after they put it in patrol
. i never get tired of seeing explosions with fatebringer though.

Ok I'm done crapping up that Destiny Expansion Review thread, time to get my actual game on! Grimlock I hope you read this, I know that first post I made regarding the expansion I was a little iffy on it. But I have come around and am all hooked again... Just need to make sure I don't get too much wife aggro.

Haha nice to see you've come around again. And thanks again for the help on the weekly yesterday. Now we need to get a team together and take down Crota.

Kind of miss running VoG.

Might as well run it then, I got a hawkmoon and the piece of raid gear I needed for a full set on normal last night as a 31 (helping a friend). I was pretty happy that I took the 40 minutes to do it. As a 31 in normal it's fucking ridiculous how much of a difference it makes.

Zakalwe

Banned
Crota down!
Ship
3 Shards
Fusion Rifle
Shader
Emblem

Feels pretty good. The shader looks a lot better than I thought it would.

XqZswC4.jpg

Thanks to the 6. Really well played.

Might as well run it then, I got a hawkmoon and the piece of raid gear I needed for a full set on normal last night as a 31 (helping a friend). I was pretty happy that I took the 40 minutes to do it. As a 31 in normal it's fucking ridiculous how much of a difference it makes.

I'd like to, I keep missing out on the groups that run it. Always too late lol

I'm sure I will get to run it soon.

Silence you fool. Those Shanks are trouble enough when you're geared out in all Arc.
Seriously though, shanks are probably the most terrifying thing during that nightfall. I had a couple of them creep up on me and damn near ended my life. They just don't give a shit about anything.

border

i mean, i tried it, saw all the exploding thralls and identified the mind games they were playing at.

The "Melee 5 Chosen Thralls without Dying" part of the quest chain was meant to teach you how to deal with those guys in close quarters, but I guess a lot of people just cheated their way through it :)

You can get close and double jump and not die to them.....even a close range explosion won't kill you as long as you are at 100% health. Any less than that and it's game over though.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I need glimmer for the ice breaker upgrade trade-in, but I saw the outfitter was selling the thunderdevil shader. I had to buy it since it goes with ruin wings. :(

Anastasis

Have no idea if this thread is the place to do so, but I'm so tired of people complaining about Destiny and wanted to try something positive by brainstorming some ideas about improving it, maybe even leading to an open letter to Bungie.

I have a set of ideas to fix the weapon side of things (I'll flesh out the ideas more once I have all of them out there):
1) Make decent weapons drop a ton more frequently (truly epic gear will remain rare to drop)
2) Don't have weapons level up at all
3) Put more stats/variations within the weapons (why not give guns some light, or even some negative light!)
4) Have materials be used to craft magazines, scopes, stocks, etc that customize the weapon to your liking (i.e. +10% stability, -5% reload)

We all want decent weapons (#1). Right now there isn't all that much variation within a given weapon (#3). As soon as a gun drops that I already have, I curse under my breath. There's no way I'm leveling it up the same gun (#2) for maybe a difference of only additional ammo for my preferred class of weapon. It shouldn't be that way. I should go in and compare. "Ah, this new Epilogue has higher damage than my old one, but a little more recoil. I want to try it out for a bit and maybe I'll keep it." Remember, no leveling so I'm good. I can actually compare apples without spending a long time upgrading the apple. Plus, with crafting the add ons (#4) I can get a gun exactly the way I want it and swap it out for the new gun for a small fee.

The grind will still be there, but there would be all these little improvements along the way. It might still take us forever to get what we need to be level 32, but progress in other areas will be ongoing as we grind.

Thoughts?

Zakalwe

Banned
The charge rate and reload speed of Light of the Abyss is incredible.

I thought my last FR would break crucible... this is insane.

The "Melee 5 Chosen Thralls without Dying" part of the quest chain was meant to teach you how to deal with those guys in close quarters, but I guess a lot of people just cheated their way through it :)

You can get close and double jump and not die to them.....even a close range explosion won't kill you as long as you are at 100% health. Any less than that and it's game over though.

I found an over shield pretty helpful as a Titan. Either melee something else to get one first, or a bubble. But as you say, you won't die from one at 100%

LiK

Hey Computer, I joined a friend's strike playlist. I'll see if I can I can invite you after we finish one.

Edit: he full. Might not be able to. GG

i died and gave up lol

plus i've had enough of the sword now. the novelty wore out after they put it in patrol
. i never get tired of seeing explosions with fatebringer though.

I'm with you. Durden stayed back and was cleaning up with whatever his gun of choice was, and I grabbed the all you can eat melee weapon. He stayed alive while I kept dying. Trying to get three knights that are staying in those death traps with a melee weapon is just a terrible idea.

Derpcrawler

So on Tuesday I found good group with whom in 4 hours we cleared everything up to Crota himself. Due to people being tired, we decided to call it and didn't kill Crota back then.

Today I decided to finish this up and tried to find a group on DestinyLFG. I tried couple of groups, and all of them were terrible, without going too much into details they ranged from "group" being one person who was just after checkpoint without stating so in his info on DLFG, to groups that had so much people quitting and joining that after 30 mins I was the only one left from the original group (or at least time I joined myself).

People would fake their level (being 29 while stating they are 31), experience - done raid 2 times on "other character" and then failing at understanding basics of this fight or just ability to perform certain tasks at all, one guy insisted he want to use the sword, but every time would fail the jump or timing really really bad. And after failing 1-2 times they would rage quit, and to be extra annoying, they would try to ruin someone else mood by calling them "shit" and generally being elitist pricks, while in fact being the cause of majority of issues.

So then I finally found a group of what seemed to be decent bunch of people. I think one person from group already killed Crota before, others including me - didn't. No one faked their experience, no one bitched and whined about wipes. With this randoms I had better experience than playing with some of my friends. Took us almost 4 hours to work out best strategy for our group and to repeat it to perfection. By the end of 3rd hour we already had close 5-10% wipes and our kill was so clean, that I think we were ahead of enrage by almost 2 minutes.

Here is a little video of our kill, dedicated to those awesome people.

http://youtu.be/wJj_K7kjWHw

Top Bottom