• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

New page PSA: One alt spot remaining for VoG Hard that's running at 8:45 pm EST. Haven't heard from our last remaining individual, but PSN is acting up a bit with requests and searches right now.

ocean

Banned
So, is anyone playing who does not have the expansion?

I have been dabbling for the first time in a few weeks tonight and from some quick internet reading, there isn't much incentive to continue on if you do not own the expansion. Is this true?
I guess if you're more of a PvP player vanilla Destiny is still as good. You have access to the same loot table as everyone else except for news Raid weapons and you can hit level 31 to remain competitive during Iron Banner. PvE wise I guess not having DLC would be a huge bummer since you don't have access to the new Vanguard Playlist or new Raid. VoG runs will be significantly less popular once people upgrade all their stuff in the next two weeks and stop needing ascendant materials.

If Bungie fixes VoG to drop updated stat weapons it might see regular action though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did you ever write a "get to 20" guide? My Hunter has enough gear to hit 31 but he's stil level 9. I wanna level him so I can run Nightfall and Raids one more time per week. What's the quickest path to 20?
Sadly (or luckily), that guide would be no longer than: bounties, story missions, and crucible. Glimmer farming (such as the Exclusion Zone) is suprisingly decent too. If you're fortunate enough to not mind mixing it up, it really goes pretty quick. Doing just one thing for it can get mindnumbing.
So, is anyone playing who does not have the expansion?

I have been dabbling for the first time in a few weeks tonight and from some quick internet reading, there isn't much incentive to continue on if you do not own the expansion. Is this true?
Really depends on where you are and what you want out of the game. If you're just starting out I wouldn't say there's any pressing need to buy it right away. It's almost entirely relevant to people at the upper levels already.

70U3GUn.gif

Awesome

45 minutes to hit glimmer cap plus 32 axiomatic beads, so ~31,000 glimmer.

Can definitely be sped up to by chaining all the supers together too. Seems like 16 majors at 37 a pop for 592 glimmer per round that can take as little as 30 seconds, ignore the GKeeper and reset.

We've got the Gorgon checkpoint and were going to run it again. Exotic chest, glimmer farm to cap, then finish GK+Atheon real quick for another exotic chance. If anyone wants to join, 3 guys had to leave. PSN is DrDrizzay101

video of the strat we used to whip crota's behind. fig's gonna post her POV as MVP later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hoHL0zSLrY

That strat looks awfully familiar, hmm.... haha gg team, glad you got him down! If anyone is serious and wants to do another kill, I want to get a 2 sword kill down. Should be easy with 3 GHorns and people that have some experience.

Can definitely be sped up to by chaining all the supers together too. Seems like 16 majors at 37 a pop for 592 glimmer per round that can take as little as 30 seconds, ignore the GKeeper and reset.

We've got the Gorgon checkpoint and were going to run it again. Exotic chest, glimmer farm to cap, then finish GK+Atheon real quick for another exotic chance. If anyone wants to join, 3 guys had to leave. PSN is DrDrizzay101

Damn that's a good farming spot!

I'll send you a message when I get home around 9:30ish

ocean

Banned
Sadly (or luckily), that guide would be no longer than: bounties, story missions, and crucible. Glimmer farming (such as the Exclusion Zone) is suprisingly decent too. If you're fortunate enough to not mind mixing it up, it really goes pretty quick. Doing just one thing for it can get mindnumbing.
Yeah mind numbing sounds about right haha. I got to level 9 exclusively via Crucible. Not a single story mission so I can't even patrol Earth with my Hunter yet :p

I'll work on him late next week and go on a story / bounty binge to 20.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Sent you a FR if there's still spots open.

Bladelaw

Starting a fresh Crota's End raid from start to as far as we can get. No experience required (my first time) but please be level 30 with minimum 300 weapons or better. I'm bringing an underlevelled MIDA for the first part but I'll be switching to a maxed mythoclast after that.

Since the_log_ride and robdraggo commented they have claim on the first two spots if they want it/haven't found a group by start time.
Start time is 9:30EST (gotta put my kid to bed).
PSN: fadeddream

1. fadeddream
2. the_log_ride (if he wants it)
3. robdraggo (if he wants it)

Starting a fresh Crota's End raid from start to as far as we can get. No experience required (my first time) but please be level 30 with minimum 300 weapons or better. I'm bringing an underlevelled MIDA for the first part but I'll be switching to a maxed mythoclast after that.

Since the_log_ride and robdraggo commented they have claim on the first two spots if they want it/haven't found a group by start time.

1. fadeddream

Count me in

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah mind numbing sounds about right haha. I got to level 9 exclusively via Crucible. Not a single story mission so I can't even patrol Earth with my Hunter yet :p

I'll work on him late next week and go on a story / bounty binge to 20.
The great thing is allt he story XP remains relevant (do it on the highest level you can at all times). So even doing the earth stories will get you fine and dandy XP in the 10-20 range.

MildSoss

1. fadeddream

I'd be down for a fresh run. Lvl 31 Warlock

PSN: MiidSoss

Am_I_Evil

1. fadeddream

if you've got space left

psn: Am_I_Evil

31 - Hunter...no experience as a whole, but i was part of a Crota team earlier so i understand that (at least a little....lol)

CREMSteve

1. fadeddream
StrykerIsland
Titan 30
Wife should be home by then so I can raid.

1. I am still enjoying crucible, so meh.

2. Please elaborate. Is it not as bad as it seems, or are you suggesting that I should be more upset?

If you're enjoying Crucible, the DLC won't have too big of an affect on you - except come Iron Banner!

Deku Tree

That strat looks awfully familiar, hmm.... haha gg team, glad you got him down! If anyone is serious and wants to do another kill, I want to get a 2 sword kill down. Should be easy with 3 GHorns and people that have some experience.

I would like to jump in.

deafmedal

1. fadeddream
same boat as robdraggo, level 30, lotsa 300 stuff
PSN deafmedal, will send friend request now !

FyreWulff

I have the DLC, so i'm a poor judge of DLClessness. This is your outlook as a non-DLC owner:

- Sometimes the Nightfall/Weekly will be unavailable to you.

- Sometimes the Daily will be unavailable to you.

- Can't get a bonus engram currently for Strikes. If you were level 29 or 30 though, Vanguard Roc (26) is going to be still about as easy as Tiger (24)

- The standard PvP playlists at this time appear to not have DLC nor will they. DLC will be featured in DLC-specific playlists. Unknown if Destiny can work like Halo where if the entire session is DLC owners, DLC can show up even if the playlist isn't DLC required. So if you're crucible centric things have barely changed for you.

- Iron Banner is currently non-DLC for it's next appearance.

- You can still get new exotics and armor and get to level 31 without DLC (afiak). 32 is DLC required.

lt519

Well our blind run went pretty well today, we made it through the first drop with one survivor after about an hour and then made it to the second drop about a half hour later. We had this miracle run where everything just went well and the coordination was extraordinary. It just took some time to figure out why we were getting annihilated. The game would really shine if it had more moments like that.

Deathsinger gave us fits but after another hour we beat it with about a second left. We're not sure if we even did it the right way, we realized we kept getting killed after 3 minutes so just went in guns blazing and it finally worked.

Never beat Crota barely figured out a strategy before two had to leave. So in all completely blind to any info on the raid we did pretty damn good.

That being said anyone going to be working on Crota late tonight?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
1. I am still enjoying crucible, so meh.

2. Please elaborate. Is it not as bad as it seems, or are you suggesting that I should be more upset?
I'm saying it's not at all true that there's no reason to keep playing if you don't own the DLC. if you're enjoying what there is, just keep playing!

X-Frame

1. fadeddream

It seems this is filled already, but if not I could be an alternate if someone can't make it.

Level 31 Striker Titan (only, as this is a new alt but I unlocked all the abilities I need for the raid). I have Gjallarhorn too.

Also to note, I have gotten past the first 2 phases on another character.

PSN: X-Frame

Top Bottom