• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

whipped out gjallarhorn because dust palace was taking longer than 5 minutes.

killed two full health pison flayers in less than 1

the hype is real. accept no substitutes.

LiK

Yeah, that´s true, and i´m happy about that, but you know, sometimes is not the same without your buds.

Make new buddies here. Plenty of cool guys and gals. The only reason I still play is for them. I would've given up on this game 2 months ago if it weren't for people here.

SkylineRKR

whipped out gjallarhorn because dust palace was taking longer than 5 minutes.

killed two full health pison flayers in less than 1

the hype is real. accept no substitutes.

Almost Wolfpack on my Horn 2.0, and not far from 31 (I prefer Xur to upgrade Alpha Lupi). Can't wait to use it on underleveled stuff.

Nodnol

Hunters!

What spec are you using for gunslinger/blade dancer? I usually try to max out my armor, but it doesn't seem to help much :( Should I be speccing into max recovery instead?

I mostly do PvE with occasional PvP :)

I use to do the same.

It seems, however, that Armor can make the massive difference of.... 15 HP. And Hunters can't even spec that high, I think. The difference just doesn't seem worth it.

Recovery is worth it, because it allows you to get back into the fight quicker.

Agility is a funny one. The difference in sprint speed in irrelevant, unless you use Fleet Footed. What it does impact though, is jump height and strafe speed (I think).

I've recently changed my spec to Recovery and Agility, and haven't felt any more fragile. If anything, the increase in Recovery has proved very useful.

Zakalwe

Banned
Going to spam Crucible for the next few hours for the marks, if anyone would like to join me at any point feel free.

Psn: astropoff

Karg

1st Nightfall on my Titan

New and improved Truth Rocket Launcher

2nd Nightfall on my Warlock

New Exotic Chest Starfire Protocol

EomryZC.png

- Increased Fusion Rifle ammo
- Increase Heavy Ammo
- Extra Fusion Grenade

Running this on Sunsinger with extra grenade perk with Mytho AND Murmur for the "kills with this weapon reduce grenade cooldown".....fun times.....fun times.

cross post:

the cauldron on the moon is room based and deceptively large, with each room offering different kind of gameplay encounters. once you learn the layout orientation becomes more natural, but at first it seems confusing and random. the cokepoints are designed fairly well and there are some great sightlines, so no room feels "too small".

other than the spawns and the campy nature of automatic doors (especially if they lag), i think it's a solid map (by destiny standards). the spawns would have to be my biggest problem with it though. destiny's spawn system isn't that great but it seems to be especially poor on this map.

pantheon is on the black garden and it's destiny's first true symmetrical map. unfortunately, symmetrical doesn't always make a map good. there are some nice sightlines and height variation to break up the combat and aesthetically it's quite appealing. the team colors help with orientation, although you need to learn the hallways to learn positioning.

that'd be its biggest problem though - so many hallways. lots of cross map sniping and then somebody is rounding the corner and shoulder charging you. it plays wonky on clash but would probably play better in control... until the enemies start spawning behind you. it reminds me a lot of some old school FPS maps, like Garrison from Jedi Knight Outcast.

skyshock is another vehicle map and it's absolutely terrible. it seems like it's larger than both bastoin and first light combined and it compounds all their fundamental problems. ridiculous lines of sight, vehicles nobody wants to use, spawning out in the open, snipers everywhere, etc. the thing those maps did right though was have a flat color palette, which makes it easy to see players. skyshock is a mess of reds, greens, yellows, browns, blues and oranges so you can't see shit until you're being blained in the face.

bungie needs to stop trying to make halo-style vehicle combat happen in destiny. it's not happening. players are already powerful and fast enough on foot and there's no incentive to paint yourself as a larger target. the speed of these vehicles forces bungie to design huge maps with a bunch of dead space, and then people spawn with patience and time and camp somewhere for the players foolish enough to stick their head out.

Midas

Regarding Crota's End

The bridge for the first part. Do we know how long it takes before you can start to run towards the light? I get the feeling that we stay too long. Last night I was the last one alive and started to run just trying to stay alive.

noomi

I use to do the same.

It seems, however, that Armor can make the massive difference of.... 15 HP. And Hunters can't even spec that high, I think. The difference just doesn't seem worth it.

Recovery is worth it, because it allows you to get back into the fight quicker.

Agility is a funny one. The difference in sprint speed in irrelevant, unless you use Fleet Footed. What it does impact though, is jump height and strafe speed (I think).

I've recently changed my spec to Recovery and Agility, and haven't felt any more fragile. If anything, the increase in Recovery has proved very useful.

Thanks for the confirmation, I think I'll give that a shot then and see how it plays out. i didn't even realize armor gives you extra health... I just though it makes the blows hurt a little less.

Temidien

Neo Member
Picked up two light 33 armor pieces from Cryptarch package and two Crota raid armor pieces for my Hunter yesterday. RNGesus is good to his disciples, keep the faith, brothers!

Big shout-out to my raid party yesterday, you guys were a blast to play with and I'm impressed with how far we made it with minimal spoilers. I'll be sending out a PSN message in the next day or so to organize a party to try again for
Crota
so be on the look-out. Hopefully by then we'll have a few of us at 31.

I am willing to bet that just about everyone who went in there blind last night had roughly the same experience with the beginning part. Those first few attempts are so intense and awesome, I haven't had a gaming experience like that in a long time.

Exactly! Super intense, ton of "what the fuck are we doing" moments, wild revives... Overall, a really fun night of raiding.

Restrained hate post incoming. I think 97% of this new DLC is pure garbage. I will set aside my grievances in terms of them destroying their entire economy after getting everyone to use as much of their resources as possible upgrading the now redundant items. But I find it really hard to overlook just how little was added to the game. Bungie bills the DLC as expansion packs and I personally cannot believe the sheer audacity and disrespect required to legitimately sell that marketing line. This is DLC in its rawest virtually valueless horse-armour form. There is no expanded content, everything is a copy paste job. I wish I was lying but if you've played the game you know I'm not. Both strikes are bottom of the barrel and the one that's cross platform is by far the worst strike in the game. (dust palace not withstanding). It's a run through 2 story missions copy pastad together with a palette swapped enemy (fallen instead of hive), culminating in a terrible standoff in front of the door to a janitors broom closet. There is one door that opens up a new area that is 3 rooms big, an area that was on disc because it had been thoroughly explored prior if I'm not mistaken - for the rest of this new legendary strike you run through the same old cosmodrome you've run through 2003030020209 times. The other is the black garden copypastad mirrored with the nexus boss at the end. Xbox owners can't even play this, even though it's slightly more enjoyable than the broom closet strike. I'd say they're missing out but they're not really.

The three new missions are in areas you've previously been to as well just slightly extended. They offer up no actual storyline that's logical or sensible or fits into anything really and the whole thing honestly barely qualifies as being coherent. No plot points are resolved, no progress is made it's literally just treadmilling in place. In essence they added spawn points for enemies and called it a day. I'd be dissapointed if these missions were free and tied to some event, but I'm even more dissapointed that they aren't and that they cost $17.50.

Eris is another faceless vendor that jabbers at me while I press buttons to discern what kind of grind I'm in for next. The questline leading up to the strikes is beyond terrible as well, doing the 3 missions is fine but I really did not feel the need to go grind 25 more lvl 8 knights in cosmodrome, it's fucking insulting that they consider that an activity worth engaging in. The bounties are literally the same shit but worse because you're doing it again, you're going to the same exact area, killing the same exact mobs for the same exact reason you did previously. Only now all of your previously found loot has been obsoleted in one fell swoop, not just some items but literally all of them. Every single item, all of the guns from the old raid are terrible and outclassed by random legendary drops now. They basically spread crota's arse end open over all of your old stuff and turned it into shit. It's like the midas touch but with shit instead of gold really.

So there you are running the same bounties to level up some new shit you just bought found because it's immediately better than anything you own regardless of the effort it took to attain said gear and in the back of your head you realize that you've done all of this before. It's a terrible feeling really, I never question what I'm doing with my life more than I do when I'm playing Destiny.

I'd quit honestly, I think about it everytime I play this game but I don't. I know why I don't though, and I think it's not because this game is great or addictive, well designed, or impeccably balanced because it's not. It's because for the briefest of moments, one to three raids every week, this game becomes one of the best co-op shooters currently available. Unfortunately I hate everything I have to do (barring pvp) after the raiding stops. I have to do this if I want to keep up with my buddies, who are doing it to keep up with me, and it's fucking terrible. I love raiding, but I know if I don't crank up my lightlevel by doing the most inane bullshit treadmill in the world I'll be getting left behind for someone who did run the treadmill and has progressed past me. Currently I'm hanging in there, but I don't know how much longer I can keep hanging in through a week of almost joblike grinding to play half a day of fun stuff.

You should be able to get radiant materials from Nightfall. It's crazy that you only get them from the raid.

It doesn't fit their "vision". They were perturbed that players would stop upgrading their non-raid gear and save shards to level raid gear more quickly. Solution is raid exclusive Mats...

Dirtbag

Could they have created a worse room to fight Omnigul in?
Seriously its a fucking closet where hundreds of enemies spawn, and she is the most mobile of the bosses yet... but has the shortest flight path of them all?

This is getting really sloppy bungie.

I'm also getting relatively tired of the extreme sectioning off in the PvP levels. A few sight light lines wont kill things. Maybe we want a map that is all about sniper battles?

GlamFM

Banned
Restrained hate post incoming. I think 97% of this new DLC is pure garbage. I will set aside my grievances in terms of them destroying their entire economy after getting everyone to use as much of their resources as possible upgrading the now redundant items. But I find it really hard to overlook just how little was added to the game. Bungie bills the DLC as expansion packs and I personally cannot believe the sheer audacity and disrespect required to legitimately sell that marketing line. This is DLC in its rawest virtually valueless horse-armour form. There is no expanded content, everything is a copy paste job. I wish I was lying but if you've played the game you know I'm not. Both strikes are bottom of the barrel and the one that's cross platform is by far the worst strike in the game. (dust palace not withstanding). It's a run through 2 story missions copy pastad together with a palette swapped enemy (fallen instead of hive), culminating in a terrible standoff in front of the door to a janitors broom closet. There is one door that opens up a new area that is 3 rooms big, an area that was on disc because it had been thoroughly explored prior if I'm not mistaken - for the rest of this new legendary strike you run through the same old cosmodrome you've run through 2003030020209 times. The other is the black garden copypastad mirrored with the nexus boss at the end. Xbox owners can't even play this, even though it's slightly more enjoyable than the broom closet strike. I'd say they're missing out but they're not really.

The three new missions are in areas you've previously been to as well just slightly extended. They offer up no actual storyline that's logical or sensible or fits into anything really and the whole thing honestly barely qualifies as being coherent. No plot points are resolved, no progress is made it's literally just treadmilling in place. In essence they added spawn points for enemies and called it a day. I'd be dissapointed if these missions were free and tied to some event, but I'm even more dissapointed that they aren't and that they cost $17.50.

Eris is another faceless vendor that jabbers at me while I press buttons to discern what kind of grind I'm in for next. The questline leading up to the strikes is beyond terrible as well, doing the 3 missions is fine but I really did not feel the need to go grind 25 more lvl 8 knights in cosmodrome, it's fucking insulting that they consider that an activity worth engaging in. The bounties are literally the same shit but worse because you're doing it again, you're going to the same exact area, killing the same exact mobs for the same exact reason you did previously. Only now all of your previously found loot has been obsoleted in one fell swoop, not just some items but literally all of them. Every single item, all of the guns from the old raid are terrible and outclassed by random legendary drops now. They basically spread crota's arse end open over all of your old stuff and turned it into shit. It's like the midas touch but with shit instead of gold really.

So there you are running the same bounties to level up some new shit you just bought found because it's immediately better than anything you own regardless of the effort it took to attain said gear and in the back of your head you realize that you've done all of this before. It's a terrible feeling really, I never question what I'm doing with my life more than I do when I'm playing Destiny.

I'd quit honestly, I think about it everytime I play this game but I don't. I know why I don't though, and I think it's not because this game is great or addictive, well designed, or impeccably balanced because it's not. It's because for the briefest of moments, one to three raids every week, this game becomes one of the best co-op shooters currently available. Unfortunately I hate everything I have to do (barring pvp) after the raiding stops. I have to do this if I want to keep up with my buddies, who are doing it to keep up with me, and it's fucking terrible. I love raiding, but I know if I don't crank up my lightlevel by doing the most inane bullshit treadmill in the world I'll be getting left behind for someone who did run the treadmill and has progressed past me. Currently I'm hanging in there, but I don't know how much longer I can keep hanging in through a week of almost joblike grinding to play half a day of fun stuff.

This is so true - and that makes me so sad... :(

E92 M3

1st Nightfall on my Titan

New and improved Truth Rocket Launcher

2nd Nightfall on my Warlock

New Exotic Chest Starfire Protocol

EomryZC.png

- Increased Fusion Rifle ammo
- Increase Heavy Ammo
- Extra Fusion Grenade

Running this on Sunsinger with extra grenade perk with Mytho AND Murmur for the "kills with this weapon reduce grenade cooldown".....fun times.....fun times.

I am very jealous of that chest piece.

Ourobolus

Banned
Oh, shit. I totally forgot that you need Vanguard Commendations for the chest piece. Motherfucker!
Urgh. Guess I need to grind out some rep.

Anyone have a Hard Atheon checkpoint they can provide?

Looking to run that part with Gaf players tonight with multiple Characters for a shot at the Vex.

#ForeverNoVex

spyder_ur

Picked up two light 33 armor pieces from Cryptarch package and two Crota raid armor pieces for my Hunter yesterday. RNGesus is good to his disciples, keep the faith, brothers!

Big shout-out to my raid party yesterday, you guys were a blast to play with and I'm impressed with how far we made it with minimal spoilers. I'll be sending out a PSN message in the next day or so to organize a party to try again for
Crota

Nice...sorry I had to bail since I didn't get to 30, was bummed about that. Two raid pieces? Anecdotally it seems like Bungie is sticking to their word about more logical raid drops.

can't say i disagree.

the shooting in destiny is really the best out there IMO, but all the BS systems in place bog it down. when things seem to be picking up, bungie will go on to laugh and call me stupid for playing.

if i didn't have friends to raid with and if i didn't enjoy the multiplayer, i'd have left my ebay listing up.

Namikaze1

Anyone have a Hard Atheon checkpoint they can provide?

Looking to run that part with Gaf players tonight with multiple Characters for a shot at the Vex.

#ForeverNoVex
Hey man, you still up for helping out with Crota's End
bridge
part? I wanted to do it early but an emergency came up. It's looking like I won't get to run it till 5-6 PM EST.

Could they have created a worse room to fight Omnigul in?
Seriously its a fucking closet where hundreds of enemies spawn, and she is the most mobile of the bosses yet... but has the shortest flight path of them all?

This is getting really sloppy bungie.

I'm also getting relatively tired of the extreme sectioning off in the PvP levels. A few sight light lines wont kill things. Maybe we want a map that is all about sniper battles?

I'm waiting for a Valhalla map that encourages fun center snipping with close quarters play around the bases and around the sides.

Crota

Did you guys get past the
Deathsinger
part?

PuMa

Still feeling pretty annoyed that I finally got hawkmoon to drop (VoG hard) and it tops out at 300. It better be xur-able for upgrades or it will just sit in the vault gathering dust.

Same here. I got one from a purple engram yesterday - 300 max. I was so happy...and then so sad.

Midas

It doesn't fit their "vision". They were perturbed that players would stop upgrading their non-raid gear and save shards to level raid gear more quickly. Solution is raid exclusive Mats...

Yeah, I'm actually fine with specific materials for the raid gear. But that it only drop in the raid is too much. You need 84(!!!) of them to upgrade a full raid set. That's a crazy amount of raids. A Nightfall is once a week (sometimes x 3), and it would still take probably a month more to upgrade...

There's no use for shards when you're at 31.

What I really would like to know is; how much of game mechanics are forced by Activisions hand? Some Bungie employee must leak this asap.

Oh, shit. I totally forgot that you need Vanguard Commendations for the chest piece. Motherfucker!
Urgh. Guess I need to grind out some rep.

Yeah, much to my chagrin. But I'm working on the Bad Juju bounty as well so I'm just spamming the new level 26 Strike Playlist. Killing two birds with one stone. Well 3 actually as I'm getting a ton of engrams for the Cryptarc to decrypt raising his level as well.

Karu

Somehow a LTTP-post considering the OT-number (like... lol), but here ya go: Finished the demo just now. Haven't payed too much attention to all the discussions, although I know the crux of it. No plans on buying the game, but Destiny is basically Borderlands? Why all the fuss about it? Seems fine to me. *shrugs* Though I admit, I'm a fan of somewhat grind-y shooters, so yeah...

Would Activision be more keen to discount their games, I could see myself playing it at one point (Which they aren't, obviously).

Top Bottom