• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

DesertFox

Restrained hate post incoming. I think 97% of this new DLC is pure garbage. I will set aside my grievances in terms of them destroying their entire economy after getting everyone to use as much of their resources as possible upgrading the now redundant items. But I find it really hard to overlook just how little was added to the game. Bungie bills the DLC as expansion packs and I personally cannot believe the sheer audacity and disrespect required to legitimately sell that marketing line. This is DLC in its rawest virtually valueless horse-armour form. There is no expanded content, everything is a copy paste job. I wish I was lying but if you've played the game you know I'm not. Both strikes are bottom of the barrel and the one that's cross platform is by far the worst strike in the game. (dust palace not withstanding). It's a run through 2 story missions copy pastad together with a palette swapped enemy (fallen instead of hive), culminating in a terrible standoff in front of the door to a janitors broom closet. There is one door that opens up a new area that is 3 rooms big, an area that was on disc because it had been thoroughly explored prior if I'm not mistaken - for the rest of this new legendary strike you run through the same old cosmodrome you've run through 2003030020209 times. The other is the black garden copypastad mirrored with the nexus boss at the end. Xbox owners can't even play this, even though it's slightly more enjoyable than the broom closet strike. I'd say they're missing out but they're not really.

The three new missions are in areas you've previously been to as well just slightly extended. They offer up no actual storyline that's logical or sensible or fits into anything really and the whole thing honestly barely qualifies as being coherent. No plot points are resolved, no progress is made it's literally just treadmilling in place. In essence they added spawn points for enemies and called it a day. I'd be dissapointed if these missions were free and tied to some event, but I'm even more dissapointed that they aren't and that they cost $17.50.

Eris is another faceless vendor that jabbers at me while I press buttons to discern what kind of grind I'm in for next. The questline leading up to the strikes is beyond terrible as well, doing the 3 missions is fine but I really did not feel the need to go grind 25 more lvl 8 knights in cosmodrome, it's fucking insulting that they consider that an activity worth engaging in. The bounties are literally the same shit but worse because you're doing it again, you're going to the same exact area, killing the same exact mobs for the same exact reason you did previously. Only now all of your previously found loot has been obsoleted in one fell swoop, not just some items but literally all of them. Every single item, all of the guns from the old raid are terrible and outclassed by random legendary drops now. They basically spread crota's arse end open over all of your old stuff and turned it into shit. It's like the midas touch but with shit instead of gold really.

So there you are running the same bounties to level up some new shit you just bought found because it's immediately better than anything you own regardless of the effort it took to attain said gear and in the back of your head you realize that you've done all of this before. It's a terrible feeling really, I never question what I'm doing with my life more than I do when I'm playing Destiny.

I'd quit honestly, I think about it everytime I play this game but I don't. I know why I don't though, and I think it's not because this game is great or addictive, well designed, or impeccably balanced because it's not. It's because for the briefest of moments, one to three raids every week, this game becomes one of the best co-op shooters currently available. Unfortunately I hate everything I have to do (barring pvp) after the raiding stops. I have to do this if I want to keep up with my buddies, who are doing it to keep up with me, and it's fucking terrible. I love raiding, but I know if I don't crank up my lightlevel by doing the most inane bullshit treadmill in the world I'll be getting left behind for someone who did run the treadmill and has progressed past me. Currently I'm hanging in there, but I don't know how much longer I can keep hanging in through a week of almost joblike grinding to play half a day of fun stuff.
So much this. I can't believe the complete lack of anything new added by this expansion. I played the story and weekly 30 heroic strike. I was absolutely shocked that none of it took place in environments I hadn't previously been in, aside from some new rooms tacked on to the final 2 minutes.

Bungie should be ashamed of the price tag and label of "expansion" for this content. This is queens wrath 2.0. I feel like I payed for the ability to reach level 32.

I remember before release being under the impression that the expansions would add new planets, or zones to the existing planets.

Lol I was so sorely mistaken.

Midas

A thread title that seems to be taking a shot at people voicing some rather valid complaints about the game.

Again, it's just a thread title and Destiny is just a video game. I come here for entertainment but thread titles like that seem to talk down to those that are legitimately pissed. Just my two cents.

Ah, I see. We see it from different perspectives. I see it as a poke on how we act, we complain and complain - yet we keep playing. That's probably the intention as well. Not taking a shot at people.

But after all, as I said; it's just a title. Nothing more. :)

Namikaze1

CE preliminary thoughts

We made it to the bridge and stopped as it was getting late. So to the below, I realize my bias is showing. I didn't enjoy the Flood battles in Halo, but liked the Covenant ones. Just full disclosure there. I like to take my time - and not be running. Well, CE involves a LOT of running so far.

The frenetic pace makes for a tense/fun (choose the definition that fits your playstyle) 1st section! But.

We had people down on every run. Got shoved backward. Stopped by a Cursed Thrall or Knight. Slowed. Just. Enough. If we couldn't revive it would NOT be fun. It was ironic, someone in our group said "A friend told me what they would do to make this more 'difficult' would be to throw waves of Thrall at us." Aaaaaand confirmed. It seems kind of uninspiring to me, and I hope that's not taken as a really strong word. We get it. You're supposed to keep moving - together. We're obviously going to be working on our new Olympic Event: "Synchronized Scrambling." But everyone is rushing, rushing, rushing. Then to turn back at the lantern to see the guy who was just trying to reload his shotgun - getting pummeled by 762 Hive. Ack. All I can think of is "Hard Mode?" No revives? OH MY. That will be 3 levels past ridiculous.

What would I hope for?
Could we have a little more resistance outside (getting in) for a tradeoff of fewer Thrall inside? I wouldn't even mind fighting an Ogre or Hallowed Knight every other lantern - if it meant like 50-75% less Thrall. To kill that many Thrall you need a heavy weapon, and a heavy weapon means you can't move as quickly, and you have a darkness weight penalty already... Again admitting I like more slow-paced battles.

How about an AoE effect via a class or subclass that temporarily reduces the darkness penalty for the group? If a Sunsinger could do that, or a Bladedancer, via a Super that would be amazing. How else can you really "explore" this first area, and it would be a good way to "catch up" the guy only just seconds behind and weight x10?

How about the lanterns NOT explode? Just slow their rate of weight reduction or they dim? You go back for a squaddie, and the inevitable: BOOM. Then their orb is halfway across the map - and now covered in claw-swinging friends. WIPE.

We did eventually make it via a mix of Titan Smashes, Sunsinger going back for the downed, and that Saint 14 bubble at the end!!!!!!!!! X-Frame? I bow in obeisance, friend. THAT saved our butts. Titan Bro Fist X 1000.

Looking forward to trying the bridge. Oh baby. Anyone in our group 31 yet? Sadly I'm not.
That part took an hour for my team to beat. We were going in blind so we didn't know what to do. And yes, a Defender is freaking useful at the end. I had Armor of Light equipped so we all just stayed in the bubble, letting the thralls come to us. By the time that bubble disappear, I already had my super ready. It only took us two bubble drops to get the bridge up. Titans are really useful for the first part. Fist of Havoc to deal with ads and Shield Bubble for the ultimate defense.

Kajiba

My team got to crota last night. Man, The struggle is real lol. Did not beat him but was fun getting to him blind with no help at all. Took us 4 hours to get to the last boss.

Did anybody on gaf beat him yet?

jaaz

I love the title. All of us on here whine about Destiny in some way, yet still we play it. It's perfect!

Funny thing, that the gripes about Destiny are mostly about lack of content. I think Bungie is listening. The expansion is a move in the right direction, but far from there. GAF is so negative sometimes, so I will be positive. I think Desitny can only get better from here.

Midas

Another question. Do we know if the helmet only drop in hard mode yet? I know we can't play hard, but if no one have gotten the helmet yet it's probably the same setup as VoG.

Taz

I'm so glad i waited for the feedback from the expac before spending money on it, I don't get how they can call it an expac, it's just standard Cod type DLC, this game needs multiple end game raids.

stb

Byron Bluth said:
VAULT OF GLASS VEX RUNS - #FOREVERNOVEX RAIDING CLUB

We will be running the Atheon checkpoint 3 times for characters to get the damn elusive Vex that really isn't elusive because some people have gotten 5 or more of the fucking thing. Bungie just has a broken loot system that hopefully will be fixed in Crota's End based on the changes they announced yesterday.

Anyways! Here is our roster so far:
1. Cosmos_Man (me) - 3 Level 30 Characters (All 3 Classes)
2. LollipoPReapeR
3. MrAnderson (PSN: greyblade)
4. Berried_treasurE (stb)
5. Dave_6
6. Bizazedo

Every Wednesday starting next week on Wecdnesday December 10th.

Are we still doing this tonight? If so, what time?

I wasn't able get my VoG weapons maxed OR hit 30, just FYI.

That part took an hour for my team to beat. We were going in blind so we didn't know what to do. And yes, a Defender is freaking useful at the end. I had Armor of Light equipped so we all just stayed in the bubble, letting the thralls come to us. By the time that bubble disappear, I already had my super ready. It only took us two bubble drops to get the bridge up. Titans are really useful for the first part. Fist of Havoc to deal with ads and Shield Bubble for the ultimate defense.

Going in blind to this one was...interesting.

Yes - our titans were RACKING up major kills. Fist of Havoc for adds was amazing. Aftermath for the run was pretty good too.

X-Frame switched to Defender, and the 45 sec bubble at the end definitely saved our asses from the ogres.

Another question. Do we know if the helmet only drop in hard mode yet? I know we can't play hard, but if no one have gotten the helmet yet it's probably the same setup as VoG.

I have yet to hear of a helmet drop from the raod, but people in this thread have had everything else so far, so probably.

patchday

I like the thread title because I look at it from the point of view a lot of people play the game for many hours, come to the thread to complain, & then start/join a raid group in the same post sometimes

I know I whine all the time. Only taking a break for DA:I but still hoping they add some new features. After all, I recall when Diablo 3 launched people called it awful. Nowadays people rave bout it. I ordered the ps4 version of that game but havent played yet myself

LiK

I love the title. All of us on here whine about Destiny in some way, yet still we play it. It's perfect!

Funny thing, that the gripes about Destiny are mostly about lack of content. I think Bungie is listening. The expansion is a move in the right direction, but far from there. GAF is so negative sometimes, so I will be positive. I think Desitny can only get better from here.

Iirc, they promised some form of free content. Not sure when that's coming.

I finally completed what was needed to unlock the weekly/nightfall.

My initial impressions, and it isn't spoiler worthy imo, but here it goes:

I solo'd these on heroic wearing a couple new light 33 gear at Level 29. First mission was OK. The new music and listening to Eris was refreshing, and after ~200 hours of the base game, it was even refreshing to play anything different regardless if it's mostly the same. The 2nd mission was a lot harder mainly at the end. It reused the raid poison effect just modified, but that was good enough to make it more fun than the usual. Then the final mission. That was a pain solo especially when you have to kill the crystal. Wiping after that and needing to kill all the wizards/Knights was rough.

Now comes the boring part that I think should have been left out. The 4th bounty, kill 25 knights/wizards, pointless. Then the final patrol bounties, they were lame and pointless as well, but didn't take as long, for me at least.

Overall, I did feel like I just completed chores that weren't fun. Add the 3 missions and call it good. Don't add nonsensical required bounties that just aren't fun on top of it. It also didn't have any story worth hearing, but that was expected. Still disappointing. Maybe they are saving their amazing story for Destiny 2 but it's still crazy to know, what could've.

I'm not looking forward to completing them on my alts. But I'll probably just do them on normal mode to get it over with as fast as possible so I can do the strikes.

Raid: this is the main part I was looking forward to. Going in blind 4am on release was a ton of fun. Almost beat the 2nd part but I'm looking forward to playing more.

Crucible: pantheon was fun and the moon map was OK. Didn't play the huge map yet.

E92 M3

I whine a lot about decisions Bungie has made, but the shooting mechanics are so nice that I can't help but play. Also, the raids are a lot of fun. I can safely say that Destiny is the best shooter out now - speaking strictly from the gunplay.

Shito

Iirc, they promised some form of free content. Not sure when that's coming.
I think for them this meant Iron Banner and Queen's Wrath.
And, well, if you consider their definition of "content" for this "expansion pack", it's coherent that they also call these events "content"... ^^

Crota's End spoilers

Flashbang makes the Bridge encounter MUCH MUCH easier. You also don't need everyone across, we did it with 5. Last guy died on the other side. Still advanced the encounter and we finished it.

I whine a lot about decisions Bungie has made, but the shooting mechanics are so nice that I can't help but play. Also, the raids are a lot of fun. I can safely say that Destiny is the best shooter out now - speaking strictly from the gunplay.

Absolutely. The gun mechanics are amazing in this game.

So I get a good 5 blue engram drops a day while playing, none of which have ever turned into a legendary. And then I was thinking, I have not seen a legendary engram drop since October. Weird.

Crota's End spoilers

Flashbang makes the encounter MUCH MUCH easier. You also don't need everyone across, we did it with 5. Last guy died on the other side. Still advanced the encounter and we finished it.

Yep, we ran with a Helm of Saint-14 + Defender bubble for the last part before the bridge.

So I get a good 5 blue engram drops a day while playing, none of which have ever turned into a legendary. And then I was thinking, I have not seen a legendary engram drop since October. Weird.

Had my first ever Legendary engram drop on Monday, had it been one day later could have gotten something worth while. RNG be trolling.

phen0m24

Good stuff Nami. Took us a tad longer as we were adjusting loadouts. Coy was rocking the sunsinger though - truly our Kamikaze Warlock Medic (TM). ;) Our 6th dropped out - poor lun - his baby started crying. And we were looking for a 6th, and we immediately thought of those GAF 30+1ers, you and bytestyle. Then Fixed hopped in and away we went.

Tonight? Part 2:
Most Likely "Thrall's Revenge." I still hate Thrall.

Shito

Had my first ever Legendary engram drop on Monday, had it been one day later could have gotten something worth while. RNG be trolling.
Heh.
Got The Devil You Know with awesome perks from a blue engram this past Sunday: I know the feeling... :D

The game was nice enough to give me Hawkmoon, with the updated stats, from that chest solo "exploit" yesterday, though, so no hard feeling.

that mean green flying machine

TaB9Axt.jpg

DO WANT

Couldn't someone theoretically put disparaging comments about someone in a spoiler and, with them not wanting to get spoiled about the raid, not see that comment?
"cough"Hawkian"cough"

Good stuff Nami. Took us a tad longer as we were adjusting loadouts. Coy was rocking the sunsinger though - truly our Kamikaze Warlock Medic (TM). ;) Our 6th dropped out - poor lun - his baby started crying. And we were looking for a 6th, and we immediately thought of those GAF 30+1ers, you and bytestyle. Then Fixed hopped in and away we went.

Tonight? Part 2:
Most Likely "Thrall's Revenge." I still hate Thrall.

Yes! Coy for MVP!

I love the new Crucible maps. A real breath of fresh air.

That wide open map on Earth tends to turn into a sniper war and I think that's really fun.

pro tip for crota's end (spoilers for second part)

don't overestimate your level disadvantages. the reason we took so long at the bridge was because we were avoiding the gatekeepers. when you're fighting enemies several levels above you, anything that stuns them works wonders. baiting them with multiple players makes it easier too.

and of course, gjallarhorns and icebreakers.

glaurung

Looking for peeps to help me run some Crota missions and Nightfalls.

EU, PS4, will be online in a couple of hours.

Feel free to add me. PSN: glaurung

My gear sucks right now...

pro tip for crota's end (spoilers for second part)

don't overestimate your level disadvantages. the reason we took so long at the bridge was because we were avoiding the gatekeepers. when you're fighting enemies several levels above you, anything that stuns them works wonders. baiting them with multiple players makes it easier too.

and of course, gjallarhorns and icebreakers.
Are the
Gatekeepers
Ultras?
Because if not, you can blind them with the Titan's Flashbang

Top Bottom