• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Temidien

Neo Member
Nice...sorry I had to bail since I didn't get to 30, was bummed about that. Two raid pieces? Anecdotally it seems like Bungie is sticking to their word about more logical raid drops.

No problem man, sorry you couldn't join us. We definitely hit a wall towards the end of our session where a team of 30s and one 31 just couldn't do damage fast enough to progress, so being 29 would have just been frustrating for you. I'm sure we'll get past it soon though, just need practice and maybe a little more firepower.

And yea, the raid pieces were for my class, so that was great. Cryptarch package pieces were for another class, though, so guess that RNG element is still in place.

Did you guys get past the
Deathsinger
part?

Nope, group disbanded at the same time you left. I'm definitely up for trying again, maybe tomorrow night. Tonight I really want to focus on leveling some armor and maybe checking out the Nightfall/weekly.

patchday

Restrained hate post incoming. I think 97% of this new DLC is pure garbage. I will set aside my grievances in terms of them destroying their entire economy after getting everyone to use as much of their resources as possible upgrading the now redundant items. But I find it really hard to overlook just how little was added to the game. Bungie bills the DLC as expansion packs and I personally cannot believe the sheer audacity and disrespect required to legitimately sell that marketing line. This is DLC in its rawest virtually valueless horse-armour form. There is no expanded content, everything is a copy paste job. I wish I was lying but if you've played the game you know I'm not. Both strikes are bottom of the barrel and the one that's cross platform is by far the worst strike in the game. (dust palace not withstanding). It's a run through 2 story missions copy pastad together with a palette swapped enemy (fallen instead of hive), culminating in a terrible standoff in front of the door to a janitors broom closet. There is one door that opens up a new area that is 3 rooms big, an area that was on disc because it had been thoroughly explored prior if I'm not mistaken - for the rest of this new legendary strike you run through the same old cosmodrome you've run through 2003030020209 times. The other is the black garden copypastad mirrored with the nexus boss at the end. Xbox owners can't even play this, even though it's slightly more enjoyable than the broom closet strike. I'd say they're missing out but they're not really.

The three new missions are in areas you've previously been to as well just slightly extended. They offer up no actual storyline that's logical or sensible or fits into anything really and the whole thing honestly barely qualifies as being coherent. No plot points are resolved, no progress is made it's literally just treadmilling in place. In essence they added spawn points for enemies and called it a day. I'd be dissapointed if these missions were free and tied to some event, but I'm even more dissapointed that they aren't and that they cost $17.50.

Eris is another faceless vendor that jabbers at me while I press buttons to discern what kind of grind I'm in for next. The questline leading up to the strikes is beyond terrible as well, doing the 3 missions is fine but I really did not feel the need to go grind 25 more lvl 8 knights in cosmodrome, it's fucking insulting that they consider that an activity worth engaging in. The bounties are literally the same shit but worse because you're doing it again, you're going to the same exact area, killing the same exact mobs for the same exact reason you did previously. Only now all of your previously found loot has been obsoleted in one fell swoop, not just some items but literally all of them. Every single item, all of the guns from the old raid are terrible and outclassed by random legendary drops now. They basically spread crota's arse end open over all of your old stuff and turned it into shit. It's like the midas touch but with shit instead of gold really.

So there you are running the same bounties to level up some new shit you just bought found because it's immediately better than anything you own regardless of the effort it took to attain said gear and in the back of your head you realize that you've done all of this before. It's a terrible feeling really, I never question what I'm doing with my life more than I do when I'm playing Destiny.

I'd quit honestly, I think about it everytime I play this game but I don't. I know why I don't though, and I think it's not because this game is great or addictive, well designed, or impeccably balanced because it's not. It's because for the briefest of moments, one to three raids every week, this game becomes one of the best co-op shooters currently available. Unfortunately I hate everything I have to do (barring pvp) after the raiding stops. I have to do this if I want to keep up with my buddies, who are doing it to keep up with me, and it's fucking terrible. I love raiding, but I know if I don't crank up my lightlevel by doing the most inane bullshit treadmill in the world I'll be getting left behind for someone who did run the treadmill and has progressed past me. Currently I'm hanging in there, but I don't know how much longer I can keep hanging in through a week of almost joblike grinding to play half a day of fun stuff.

Yeah the raid and Crucible are this game's strength for sure. That's what kept me playing til a few weeks ago decided to go play Dragon's Age Inquisition for a few weeks

I have the
Bridge/Totem
checkpoint.

And get the first chest? Absolutely. It took us an hour to figure it out but I think we can do it in 15-20 minutes with a few wipes.

Yep, I grabbed the first chest but I don't mind starting from either the beginning or the part after.

SkylineRKR

can't say i disagree.

the shooting in destiny is really the best out there IMO, but all the BS systems in place bog it down. when things seem to be picking up, bungie will go on to laugh and call me stupid for playing.

if i didn't have friends to raid with and if i didn't enjoy the multiplayer, i'd have left my ebay listing up.

Absolutely. I just have great fun playing with a group of 6. And crucible is good because of the gunplay. It suits me more than CoD or BF, which is constant shoot first ohko bs. Destiny is akin to Halo, where you can turn the tables or get out with a jumping game. Sadly less impressive are the maps, but i've yet to play the new ones.

At the same time, we have a bag of shit. Bungie knows, and throw us a bone at times. Actually what they've been done from day one is halting our progression. They seem to combat the userbase instead of supporting it. Watch them to nerf the new raid chest but ignore the glitches this Raid seems to have also.

EL CUCO

Running on 4 hrs of sleep from last night's Raid got me feeling like I have
Weight of the Darkness x10
irl

I think someone else needs to take over when it comes to naming OTs. These last two haven't exactly been... um... good.

This one is just kind of obnoxious to be honest. As if there aren't some very legitimate issues with what Bungie is doing. Yup, everything is cool, no reason to be annoyed at anything pertaining to this game. We're all just a bunch of whiners.

Grimsen

Restrained hate post incoming. I think 97% of this new DLC is pure garbage. I will set aside my grievances in terms of them destroying their entire economy after getting everyone to use as much of their resources as possible upgrading the now redundant items. But I find it really hard to overlook just how little was added to the game. Bungie bills the DLC as expansion packs and I personally cannot believe the sheer audacity and disrespect required to legitimately sell that marketing line. This is DLC in its rawest virtually valueless horse-armour form. There is no expanded content, everything is a copy paste job. I wish I was lying but if you've played the game you know I'm not. Both strikes are bottom of the barrel and the one that's cross platform is by far the worst strike in the game. (dust palace not withstanding). It's a run through 2 story missions copy pastad together with a palette swapped enemy (fallen instead of hive), culminating in a terrible standoff in front of the door to a janitors broom closet. There is one door that opens up a new area that is 3 rooms big, an area that was on disc because it had been thoroughly explored prior if I'm not mistaken - for the rest of this new legendary strike you run through the same old cosmodrome you've run through 2003030020209 times. The other is the black garden copypastad mirrored with the nexus boss at the end. Xbox owners can't even play this, even though it's slightly more enjoyable than the broom closet strike. I'd say they're missing out but they're not really.

The three new missions are in areas you've previously been to as well just slightly extended. They offer up no actual storyline that's logical or sensible or fits into anything really and the whole thing honestly barely qualifies as being coherent. No plot points are resolved, no progress is made it's literally just treadmilling in place. In essence they added spawn points for enemies and called it a day. I'd be dissapointed if these missions were free and tied to some event, but I'm even more dissapointed that they aren't and that they cost $17.50.

Eris is another faceless vendor that jabbers at me while I press buttons to discern what kind of grind I'm in for next. The questline leading up to the strikes is beyond terrible as well, doing the 3 missions is fine but I really did not feel the need to go grind 25 more lvl 8 knights in cosmodrome, it's fucking insulting that they consider that an activity worth engaging in. The bounties are literally the same shit but worse because you're doing it again, you're going to the same exact area, killing the same exact mobs for the same exact reason you did previously. Only now all of your previously found loot has been obsoleted in one fell swoop, not just some items but literally all of them. Every single item, all of the guns from the old raid are terrible and outclassed by random legendary drops now. They basically spread crota's arse end open over all of your old stuff and turned it into shit. It's like the midas touch but with shit instead of gold really.

So there you are running the same bounties to level up some new shit you just bought found because it's immediately better than anything you own regardless of the effort it took to attain said gear and in the back of your head you realize that you've done all of this before. It's a terrible feeling really, I never question what I'm doing with my life more than I do when I'm playing Destiny.

I'd quit honestly, I think about it everytime I play this game but I don't. I know why I don't though, and I think it's not because this game is great or addictive, well designed, or impeccably balanced because it's not. It's because for the briefest of moments, one to three raids every week, this game becomes one of the best co-op shooters currently available. Unfortunately I hate everything I have to do (barring pvp) after the raiding stops. I have to do this if I want to keep up with my buddies, who are doing it to keep up with me, and it's fucking terrible. I love raiding, but I know if I don't crank up my lightlevel by doing the most inane bullshit treadmill in the world I'll be getting left behind for someone who did run the treadmill and has progressed past me. Currently I'm hanging in there, but I don't know how much longer I can keep hanging in through a week of almost joblike grinding to play half a day of fun stuff.

Great post.

The treadmill trifecta of this DLC- having to grind the TDB vendor rep to get items to level up specific weapons (like Murmur), having to grind rep to get commendations to get to 31 to do the raid properly, and having to grind the raid to get raid gear AND raid mats - is digusting.

I'll play the raid and see if it's worth all this shit, but honestly I feel like my time with this game is at an end. Bungie took their manupilative carrot on a stick project a step too far.

Midas

I think someone else needs to take over when it comes to naming OTs. These last two haven't exactly been... um... good.

This one is just kind of obnoxious to be honest. As if there aren't some very legitimate issues with what Bungie is doing. Yup, everything is cool, no reason to be annoyed at anything pertaining to this game. We're all just a bunch of whiners.

It's just a thread title.

Namikaze1

Yep, I grabbed the first chest but I don't mind starting from either the beginning or the part after.
I'm only running that part to catch up with the rest of my team. I lost power for a good half hour last night. By the time I got back online, they beat it. I want to get the loot for beating it and the chest they missed.

LiK

Nope, it's great and the truth.

shem935

Banned
Did you guys get past the
Deathsinger
part?

Is there a trick to that part? Our group decided to
ignore the knights and focus on witches, shriekers and eventually the deathsinger. Couldn't do enough damage quick enough to the knights. They were shrugging off gallahorn shots. Ended up very close to killing her but could never get it done.

This is all very true and well written.

Running through the new Omnigul strike last night, no new places, all recycled shit i've been through before.

I don't know why I bought this DLC. I have literally no desire to upgrade stuff just to have it. That was the beauty with Exotics... collect them all, and then over the course of the next 6 months SLOWLY upgrade them all so you can swap your armor/gear out depending on the circumstance. Nope.... 3 months later... collect them all again!!

It sucks. I'll do what I need to do to get 31 so I can run the new raid comfortably, but thats it. My love fest for this game has ended.

forrest

formerly nacire
Just wanted to say thanks to the Temidien raid group last night! I felt we did pretty great overall and it was nice to see folks get some armor. Looking forward to some more!

I also have a second Hunter I can put my gear on for lvl 31 and would like to find a second group to run with . Anyone raiding around 7-8 EST time tonight?

No problem man, sorry you couldn't join us. We definitely hit a wall towards the end of our session where a team of 30s and one 31 just couldn't do damage fast enough to progress, so being 29 would have just been frustrating for you. I'm sure we'll get past it soon though, just need practice and maybe a little more firepower.

And yea, the raid pieces were for my class, so that was great. Cryptarch package pieces were for another class, though, so guess that RNG element is still in place.

Nope, group disbanded at the same time you left. I'm definitely up for trying again, maybe tomorrow night. Tonight I really want to focus on leveling some armor and maybe checking out the Nightfall/weekly.

Sounds good! Just send me a message!

I'm only running that part to catch up with the rest of my team. I lost power for a good half hour last night. By the time I got back online, they beat it. I want to get the loot for beating it and the chest they missed.

Yes and I need the loot and chest from that part too, I can help out when you're doing it.

LiK

i think crota's end will be easier than VoG to do flawless.

i haven't seen crota though so maybe he's this raid's jumping puzzle.

I think for Flawless the opening section is what will trip people up. Unless people have a tight group sticking together, someone will screw up and die. The holes are like the new platforming sections. Dat pressure.

It's just a thread title.

A thread title that seems to be taking a shot at people voicing some rather valid complaints about the game.

Again, it's just a thread title and Destiny is just a video game. I come here for entertainment but thread titles like that seem to talk down to those that are legitimately pissed. Just my two cents.

Atilac

Would you prefer that the new gear be only equivalent to current gear? That hardly seems fun at all. People buy the expansion because they want sweet new stuff.
I would prefer my effort and work not to be shat on. Add upgrade circles to all previous legendarys and exotics. Allow me to add on top of what I did instead of having to start from scratch all over again. I would love a leveling system that wasn't stupidly tied to armor, above all else, I would love that.

E92 M3

I think for Flawless the opening section is what will trip people up. Unless people have a tight group sticking together, someone will screw up and die. The holes are like the new platforming sections. Dat pressure.

I've play so many hours of Souls games that I laugh at Bungie's puny attempts at making us fall :p

jaaz

1st Nightfall on my Titan

New and improved Truth Rocket Launcher

2nd Nightfall on my Warlock

New Exotic Chest Starfire Protocol

EomryZC.png

- Increased Fusion Rifle ammo
- Increase Heavy Ammo
- Extra Fusion Grenade

Running this on Sunsinger with extra grenade perk with Mytho AND Murmur for the "kills with this weapon reduce grenade cooldown".....fun times.....fun times.

Does it let you carry 3 fusion grenades if you have gift of the sun activated?

PuMa

This was probably mentioned already somewhere, but did anyone else notice the extra cinematics/chatter to some of the vanilla missions? I did 'The Archive' mission yesterday for a bounty, and there was a longer opening scene.

Namikaze1

Weapons I suggest bringing to Crota's End:

Vex Mythoclast - This fucking gun maxed out just straights up murders everything in its path.

Ice Breaker - regenerating ammo. Need I say more.

Gjallarhorn - seriously? Does this need a reason not to be in your inventory?

Fatebringer - great for crowd control against the weaker enemies that attack in packs.

A maxed out fusion rifle (Murmur, Praetorian Foil, etc)

Zakalwe

Banned
A thread title that seems to be taking a shot at people voicing some rather valid complaints about the game.

Again, it's just a thread title and Destiny is just a video game. I come here for entertainment but thread titles like that seem to talk down to those that are legitimately pissed. Just my two cents.

It's making fun of those of us who complain yet keep playing.

It's good to be able to laugh at yourself.

Chill out.

phen0m24

CE preliminary thoughts

We made it to the bridge and stopped as it was getting late. So to the below, I realize my bias is showing. I didn't enjoy the Flood battles in Halo, but liked the Covenant ones. Just full disclosure there. I like to take my time - and not be running. Well, CE involves a LOT of running so far.

The frenetic pace makes for a tense/fun (choose the definition that fits your playstyle) 1st section! But.

We had people down on every run. Got shoved backward. Stopped by a Cursed Thrall or Knight. Slowed. Just. Enough. If we couldn't revive it would NOT be fun. It was ironic, someone in our group said "A friend told me what they would do to make this more 'difficult' would be to throw waves of Thrall at us." Aaaaaand confirmed. It seems kind of uninspiring to me, and I hope that's not taken as a really strong word. We get it. You're supposed to keep moving - together. We're obviously going to be working on our new Olympic Event: "Synchronized Scrambling." But everyone is rushing, rushing, rushing. Then to turn back at the lantern to see the guy who was just trying to reload his shotgun - getting pummeled by 762 Hive. Ack. All I can think of is "Hard Mode?" No revives? OH MY. That will be 3 levels past ridiculous.

What would I hope for?
Could we have a little more resistance outside (getting in) for a tradeoff of fewer Thrall inside? I wouldn't even mind fighting an Ogre or Hallowed Knight every other lantern - if it meant like 50-75% less Thrall. To kill that many Thrall you need a heavy weapon, and a heavy weapon means you can't move as quickly, and you have a darkness weight penalty already... Again admitting I like more slow-paced battles.

How about an AoE effect via a class or subclass that temporarily reduces the darkness penalty for the group? If a Sunsinger could do that, or a Bladedancer, via a Super that would be amazing. How else can you really "explore" this first area, and it would be a good way to "catch up" the guy only just seconds behind and weight x10?

How about the lanterns NOT explode? Just slow their rate of weight reduction or they dim? You go back for a squaddie, and the inevitable: BOOM. Then their orb is halfway across the map - and now covered in claw-swinging friends. WIPE.

We did eventually make it via a mix of Titan Smashes, Sunsinger going back for the downed, and that Saint 14 bubble at the end!!!!!!!!! X-Frame? I bow in obeisance, friend. THAT saved our butts. Titan Bro Fist X 1000.

TL:DR; I HATE THRALL.

Looking forward to trying the bridge. Oh baby. Anyone in our group 31 yet? Sadly I'm not.

spyder_ur

Just wanted to say thanks to the Temidien raid group last night! I felt we did pretty great overall and it was nice to see folks get some armor. Looking forward to some more!

I also have a second Hunter I can put my gear on for lvl 31 and would like to find a second group to run with . Anyone raiding around 7-8 EST time tonight?

I'm down Forrest - maybe not for the whole things, but I'd like to get in there and get some drops. Keep me updated. Finally 30.

Top Bottom