• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Trakan

Has anyone gotten No Land Beyond yet?
I want to know how it fires and reloads and if it's going to be the best nostalgia ever

It took the place of the Universal Remote as the worst exotic. Obtrusive iron sights, super long re-chamber animation, low ammo reserve, low damage for what it is.

Anyone know how to get the new ships? (Aside from beating the raid.)

Hoodbury

That part took an hour for my team to beat. We were going in blind so we didn't know what to do. And yes, a Defender is freaking useful at the end. I had Armor of Light equipped so we all just stayed in the bubble, letting the thralls come to us. By the time that bubble disappear, I already had my super ready. It only took us two bubble drops to get the bridge up. Titans are really useful for the first part. Fist of Havoc to deal with ads and Shield Bubble for the ultimate defense.

we popped the titan bubble once the Knights started coming and that lasted long enough to get over the bridge. Titan was so fun at the running part with Fist of Havok, but damn am I a slow runner

pro tip for crota's end (spoilers for second part)

don't overestimate your level disadvantages. the reason we took so long at the bridge was because we were avoiding the gatekeepers. when you're fighting enemies several levels above you, anything that stuns them works wonders. baiting them with multiple players makes it easier too.

and of course, gjallarhorns and icebreakers.

Hey, we did Phase 1 with a 29! Who shall remain unnamed.

Fingers crossed for Phase 2...

we popped the titan bubble once the Knights started coming and that lasted long enough to get over the bridge. Titan was so fun at the running part with Fist of Havok, but damn am I a slow runner

Yeah, and you were generating 8 orbs at a time.

Jito

Banned
Iirc, they promised some form of free content. Not sure when that's coming.

Free content along the lines of Queens Bounties and Iron Banner, you're not going get new missions or anything substantial.

The story missions are such a disappointment, played through them again last night with a friend in an hour and all he had to say at the end was "That's it?". This "expansion" needed to be twice the size and with less focus on the raid. If the raid is always going to be the central focus of the DLC then I doubt I'll buy any more in the future.

LiK

I think if there was a team of 6...

2 Warlocks
2 Hunters
2 Titans

...all playing different subclasses. Would that diversity automatically make the raid easier as you get benefits from every class?

I never seen a full group like that anywhere.

Motes of Light must have some other purpose. We are getting them as bounty rewards from Eris. We will be rolling in them even more than before with less frequent Exotic Engram options from Xur. Bungie must have a plan for it.

Btw, Bungie needs to get the mobile app updated. No Crota Raid progress or list of available Eris bounties.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Restrained hate post incoming. I think 97% of this new DLC is pure garbage. I will set aside my grievances in terms of them destroying their entire economy after getting everyone to use as much of their resources as possible upgrading the now redundant items. But I find it really hard to overlook just how little was added to the game. Bungie bills the DLC as expansion packs and I personally cannot believe the sheer audacity and disrespect required to legitimately sell that marketing line. This is DLC in its rawest virtually valueless horse-armour form. There is no expanded content, everything is a copy paste job. I wish I was lying but if you've played the game you know I'm not. Both strikes are bottom of the barrel and the one that's cross platform is by far the worst strike in the game. (dust palace not withstanding). It's a run through 2 story missions copy pastad together with a palette swapped enemy (fallen instead of hive), culminating in a terrible standoff in front of the door to a janitors broom closet. There is one door that opens up a new area that is 3 rooms big, an area that was on disc because it had been thoroughly explored prior if I'm not mistaken - for the rest of this new legendary strike you run through the same old cosmodrome you've run through 2003030020209 times. The other is the black garden copypastad mirrored with the nexus boss at the end. Xbox owners can't even play this, even though it's slightly more enjoyable than the broom closet strike. I'd say they're missing out but they're not really.

The three new missions are in areas you've previously been to as well just slightly extended. They offer up no actual storyline that's logical or sensible or fits into anything really and the whole thing honestly barely qualifies as being coherent. No plot points are resolved, no progress is made it's literally just treadmilling in place. In essence they added spawn points for enemies and called it a day. I'd be dissapointed if these missions were free and tied to some event, but I'm even more dissapointed that they aren't and that they cost $17.50.

Eris is another faceless vendor that jabbers at me while I press buttons to discern what kind of grind I'm in for next. The questline leading up to the strikes is beyond terrible as well, doing the 3 missions is fine but I really did not feel the need to go grind 25 more lvl 8 knights in cosmodrome, it's fucking insulting that they consider that an activity worth engaging in. The bounties are literally the same shit but worse because you're doing it again, you're going to the same exact area, killing the same exact mobs for the same exact reason you did previously. Only now all of your previously found loot has been obsoleted in one fell swoop, not just some items but literally all of them. Every single item, all of the guns from the old raid are terrible and outclassed by random legendary drops now. They basically spread crota's arse end open over all of your old stuff and turned it into shit. It's like the midas touch but with shit instead of gold really.

So there you are running the same bounties to level up some new shit you just bought found because it's immediately better than anything you own regardless of the effort it took to attain said gear and in the back of your head you realize that you've done all of this before. It's a terrible feeling really, I never question what I'm doing with my life more than I do when I'm playing Destiny.

I'd quit honestly, I think about it everytime I play this game but I don't. I know why I don't though, and I think it's not because this game is great or addictive, well designed, or impeccably balanced because it's not. It's because for the briefest of moments, one to three raids every week, this game becomes one of the best co-op shooters currently available. Unfortunately I hate everything I have to do (barring pvp) after the raiding stops. I have to do this if I want to keep up with my buddies, who are doing it to keep up with me, and it's fucking terrible. I love raiding, but I know if I don't crank up my lightlevel by doing the most inane bullshit treadmill in the world I'll be getting left behind for someone who did run the treadmill and has progressed past me. Currently I'm hanging in there, but I don't know how much longer I can keep hanging in through a week of almost joblike grinding to play half a day of fun stuff.

I said it before, but the update really is pretty appalling, in the sense that they really added so little yet charged $20. I at least wanted some new locations, yet I find myself running through the same areas as I have been the past 3 months. Seriously...?

Basically, there's NO POINT IN DOING THE RAID MORE THAN ONCE (unless you want to do it for fun). All the gear you get from the raid will be replaced in 3 months. I farmed for fatebringer for god knows how many runs... now it goes into scrap pile. I just don't get their update cycle. And it's unfortunate that so many of us pre-paid for the next 2 DLCs. I'll never do that again - lesson learned.

Still, I still really enjoy the game, which is both good and frustrating. It's fun.... it's just being mismanaged so much.

New challenge for Raiders:
Use your Super to get over a hole in the 1st section
More specifics here:
Titans can Fist Of Havoc their way over a hole, Warlocks can Radiance(i.e. activate right over the hole), and Hunters can just Bladedancer into infinity

Also, for all you people complaining about VoG weapons getting outdated,
Zoba was pwning with the Fatebringer on that 1st section, amirite?

PuMa

Haha, it's actually my favorite of the new maps so far. I like sniping and I don't have the skill to do it on some of the smaller maps that I feel are more common to get pulled in PVP.

I LOVE Skyshock! Instantly my new fave. I'm not a sniper, but it's great with a good scout rifle (VoC tears it up).

So what do you need right now to reach 31? Also a bit confused on the Vanguard Commendations.

I heard if you have a class item on that goes toward another fraction, you end up getting a Commendation for the Crucible instead of Vanguard?

LiK

Also, for all you people complaining about VoG weapons getting outdated,
Zoba was pwning with the Fatebringer on that 1st section, amirite?
Second section. He was one-shotting most of the Thralls and Acolytes. If my VoC was maxed I would've killed faster as well. Maxed FV is also great against the Thralls.

Dave_6

Are we still doing this tonight? If so, what time?

I wasn't able get my VoG weapons maxed OR hit 30, just FYI.

I hope so! 7 PM Est right? I'm central time and won't be getting off work until around 5:30 so I could possibly be a few mins late but I'm still definitely wanting to do this!

Chitown B

Well, I liked it a lot and it gets even better. Can't please all I guess. Only thing is just that there should be more of these story missions. But anyways, I am happy and I still have Weekly, Nightfall and Raid to go.

edit. So Vex Mythoclast will stay 323 attack level? I'm wondering if I should start upgrading it or wait if I can update it with Xur for improved attack level.

Go through some tunnels to get to a dude who even at level 29, on 24 Story was murdering me. Oh because I can't jump or move regularly. Swarm with monsters and shoot sword power at me. So fun.

As I have had more time to think about it, I am not as upset about the DLC as I was yesterday. I no longer feel the need to grind and push myself to achieve the top Light level. It is a waste of time that will be erased in 3 months. I will just stroll through my way to level 31 in a week and complete the raid and call it good. I will free up probably a hundred hours of game time that I can use towards other great games collecting dust in my backlog.

In a way, I am relieved. The games progression system may be daunting, but still accessible enough to see everything in a reasonable time.

zewone

Go through some tunnels to get to a dude who even at level 29, on 24 Story was murdering me. Oh because I can't jump or move regularly. Swarm with monsters and shoot sword power at me. So fun.

I was able to kill him before any adds spawned even on Heroic.

Ambitious

So what do you need right now to reach 31? Also a bit confused on the Vanguard Commendations.

I heard if you have a class item on that goes toward another fraction, you end up getting a Commendation for the Crucible instead of Vanguard?

First question: Four maxed "new" armor pieces, or three plus one maxed exotic (new or upgraded).

Second question: Yes. Basically, there's 1) Vanguard and 2) everything else. With a non-faction class item, you get both Vanguard and Crucible rep/marks/commendations as usual. With a faction class item, you get rep for that one particular faction and Crucible marks/commendations.

Just because a weapon doesn't have more than 300 attack doesn't mean that it can't work well in the Raid(i.e. Fatebringer still makes things explode)

rNilla

I would quit if that happened. Tons of Knights tho. I was owned by 5 at one time. lol

Too many
mother fucking yellow knights in this mother fucking raid

Hard Raid. Wait for it. Why do you think Bungie has locked Hard Mode till January? They're waiting to see where players are cheesing to add them.

I don't even want to think about the Crota's End Hard raid right now. Ugh.

Stubo

Restrained hate post incoming. I think 97% of this new DLC is pure garbage. I will set aside my grievances in terms of them destroying their entire economy after getting everyone to use as much of their resources as possible upgrading the now redundant items. But I find it really hard to overlook just how little was added to the game. Bungie bills the DLC as expansion packs and I personally cannot believe the sheer audacity and disrespect required to legitimately sell that marketing line. This is DLC in its rawest virtually valueless horse-armour form. There is no expanded content, everything is a copy paste job. I wish I was lying but if you've played the game you know I'm not. Both strikes are bottom of the barrel and the one that's cross platform is by far the worst strike in the game. (dust palace not withstanding). It's a run through 2 story missions copy pastad together with a palette swapped enemy (fallen instead of hive), culminating in a terrible standoff in front of the door to a janitors broom closet. There is one door that opens up a new area that is 3 rooms big, an area that was on disc because it had been thoroughly explored prior if I'm not mistaken - for the rest of this new legendary strike you run through the same old cosmodrome you've run through 2003030020209 times. The other is the black garden copypastad mirrored with the nexus boss at the end. Xbox owners can't even play this, even though it's slightly more enjoyable than the broom closet strike. I'd say they're missing out but they're not really.

The three new missions are in areas you've previously been to as well just slightly extended. They offer up no actual storyline that's logical or sensible or fits into anything really and the whole thing honestly barely qualifies as being coherent. No plot points are resolved, no progress is made it's literally just treadmilling in place. In essence they added spawn points for enemies and called it a day. I'd be dissapointed if these missions were free and tied to some event, but I'm even more dissapointed that they aren't and that they cost $17.50.

Eris is another faceless vendor that jabbers at me while I press buttons to discern what kind of grind I'm in for next. The questline leading up to the strikes is beyond terrible as well, doing the 3 missions is fine but I really did not feel the need to go grind 25 more lvl 8 knights in cosmodrome, it's fucking insulting that they consider that an activity worth engaging in. The bounties are literally the same shit but worse because you're doing it again, you're going to the same exact area, killing the same exact mobs for the same exact reason you did previously. Only now all of your previously found loot has been obsoleted in one fell swoop, not just some items but literally all of them. Every single item, all of the guns from the old raid are terrible and outclassed by random legendary drops now. They basically spread crota's arse end open over all of your old stuff and turned it into shit. It's like the midas touch but with shit instead of gold really.

So there you are running the same bounties to level up some new shit you just bought found because it's immediately better than anything you own regardless of the effort it took to attain said gear and in the back of your head you realize that you've done all of this before. It's a terrible feeling really, I never question what I'm doing with my life more than I do when I'm playing Destiny.

I'd quit honestly, I think about it everytime I play this game but I don't. I know why I don't though, and I think it's not because this game is great or addictive, well designed, or impeccably balanced because it's not. It's because for the briefest of moments, one to three raids every week, this game becomes one of the best co-op shooters currently available. Unfortunately I hate everything I have to do (barring pvp) after the raiding stops. I have to do this if I want to keep up with my buddies, who are doing it to keep up with me, and it's fucking terrible. I love raiding, but I know if I don't crank up my lightlevel by doing the most inane bullshit treadmill in the world I'll be getting left behind for someone who did run the treadmill and has progressed past me. Currently I'm hanging in there, but I don't know how much longer I can keep hanging in through a week of almost joblike grinding to play half a day of fun stuff.
I actually agree with every part of this.

It makes me a little annoyed at myself for going along with all of this. I bought the pass to play with a few friends who also picked it up, and while getting to the end of the raid last night was fun, it's not half of £35 fun.

Oh yeah, also... $35 does NOT equal £35 - another issue I'd personally add to yours.

I said it before, but the update really is pretty appalling, in the sense that they really added so little yet charged $20. I at least wanted some new locations, yet I find myself running through the same areas as I have been the past 3 months. Seriously...?

Basically, there's NO POINT IN DOING THE RAID MORE THAN ONCE (unless you want to do it for fun). All the gear you get from the raid will be replaced in 3 months. I farmed for fatebringer for god knows how many runs... now it goes into scrap pile. I just don't get their update cycle. And it's unfortunate that so many of us pre-paid for the next 2 DLCs. I'll never do that again - lesson learned.

Still, I still really enjoy the game, which is both good and frustrating. It's fun.... it's just being mismanaged so much.

It would be an easier pill to swallow if Hard mode VoG gear had atleast some overlap into a useful window of the first DLC. As it stands the best weapons are outclassed by Vendor trash now. That just doesn't make sense.

Zakalwe

Banned
Need three for a fresh Crota's End run. Introducing two of my friends to the raid. I've got to Crota with my main group, so I know the strats till here.

If we could get a 31 for
the Crota part
it would be great. :3

Psn: astropoff

Ok.
I've stopped playing this about a month ago, because I was satisfied with my current gear and didn't have enough free time to raid.
But yesterday I finished new story missions, bought new gloves with marks, got new legendary boots from engram, got sweet new fusion rifle as a quest reward...
Now I get that MMO feeling like my current gear is dated and I really want to update it all to the new "tier"...
I think I'm back on board.

By the way, I know that exotic weapons can be updated, but what about armor?

ethomaz

Banned
I got an Legendary Fusion Rifle that can change between Solar and Arc damage.

I liked the specs... I will try use it.

Namikaze1

Need three for a fresh Crota's End run. Introducing two of my friends to the raid. I've got to Crota with my main group, so I know the strats till here.

If we could get a 31 for
the Crota part
it would be great. :3

Psn: astropoff
What time?
I could help till the
witches
and then I'll most likely drop out.

LTWood12

Yea, I was able to kill a group of 4-5 Acolytes with one rocket. Knights were pretty tough tho.

Finally got one of those beauties from a dropped legendary engram last night. I'm seeing so many people getting great drops. It really seems like they loosened the purse strings or something.

I got an Legendary Fusion Rifle that can change between Solar and Arc damage.

I liked the specs... I will try use it.

That is a story mission reward gun. It is actually pretty damn good. Useful for Nightfall if you didn't pickup Plan C last 2 weeks.

Was able to try the raid out. The third phase absolutely crushed the souls of everyone in my fireteam. Anyone hear have success in this phase, not to mention the next phase after?

Top Bottom