• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Shito

Still salty I passed on it on week 2 :/

I really thought Xûr would sell it the last weekend before DLC to entice users. "Xûr will sell Gjallarhorn next weekend" is the new "The Last Guardian will show next E3".
Now that everyone seems to think it is necessary to beat CE, surely Xûr will stock it this week.
Right Bungie?
RIGHT?

Rixa

CE Raid final boss question:
Whatkind of swordhit combination is best till CE last raid boss?

My last week in nutshell.

Wednesday:
NF30lvl.PNG

Thursday got "old" UE from HM VoG Gorgon chest (no pic).
Friday:
4horseman.PNG

Sunday:
2tomorgue.PNG

I hate those Exotics shotguns, but that legendary is awesome :).

Jinjo

I'd partislly disagree.

Whilst your can, of course, do absolutely fine without Gallahorn, it's hard to disagree with the fact that the weapon itself is broken and creates issues in the game. It is so absurdly better than anything else you can fit in that slot I do honestly think it's causing balance issues in the game.

It does so, so much more single target damage than any other weapon in the game, by a long way. Even in a fight like Crota's where you don't kill the end boss, it's still much better at taking down sword bearers and ogres than anything else. Guarantee that it's at the heart of successful hard mode kills as well.

Definitely feels like something they need to look at.

I recently discussed this with my brother while doing some random bounties. There really is no point in using any other rocket launcher if you have this beast. I'm pretty sure they will never let Xur sell it again because it is so broken.
Why don't the just nerf Gjallarhorn to a point where it's more in line with other alternatives and treat it like a normal exotic again? I'd rather have a more balanced version available to more people than a broken version that's exclusive to a lucky bunch.

Gjallarhorn (Icebreaker to the same extent too) is imo exactly what an exotic should be. Gjallarhorn is extremely powerful, but it should be as one of the few rocket launcher exotics in the game. You are severely limited to heavy ammo drops if you want it. Until Ruin Wings came along feeding Gjallarhorn was very expensive in raid situations. I have a Gjallarhorn for every character if I want, but if you think it's the only exotic to use ever then that is on yourself. I only use it on one of my three characters, and regularly switch it out on the one that I do too. Besides, the game is already artificially difficult, you really wanna nerf one of the few weapons that can counter the ridiculous bullet sponge nature of this game? Nerfing a weapon to punish the single-player/PvE player is ridiculous. You're just making the game more frustrating to play (which it already kinda is sometimes). That goes for any exotic out there.

ocean

Banned
Now that everyone seems to think it is necessary to beat CE, surely Xûr will stock it this week.
Right Bungie?
RIGHT?
Santa Xûr make our holidays joyful.

I think a weapon so much more powerful than the rest should have been a Raid boss exclusive like the Mythoclast. Imagine they sell this thing. Nobody who plays this game will run with anything else during major encounters. I don't think they want another Ice Breaker situation where a single weapon most players have is so much better than the rest that s big part of their loot table goes unused.

Shito

Well, for all these talks we had about weapons "breaking the game" and "surely they'll get nerfed soon", Bungie just released a sniper rifle even more broken than Ice Breaker is.
Ok, this is a raid drop, but a normal raid drop, and if their "loot mechanics being fixed for the new raid" thing is true, it won't be long until a lot people own it.
For all their stupid decisions, and their "no fun allowed" reputation, I really don't think Bungie cares if some weapons "break" the PVE or not.
Also, I don't think those weapons break anything. I can wipe just fine in a nightfall or a raid with an Ice Breaker in my pocket...

Kensuke

So is anyone 32 yet? You could theoretically have done it right? By deleting a character powerlvling and running the raid for the mats and armour drops.

You need 63 shards total. I got 24 for doing the raid with 3 characters, which was a lot going by what friends got (mostly around 20).

So you'd have to delete and powerlevel at least 6-7 characters. You'd have to be insane.

KeRaSh

Gjallarhorn (Icebreaker to the same extent too) is imo exactly what an exotic should be. Gjallarhorn is extremely powerful, but it should be as one of the few rocket launcher exotics in the game. You are severely limited to heavy ammo drops if you want it. Until Ruin Wings came along feeding Gjallarhorn was very expensive in raid situations. I have a Gjallarhorn for every character if I want, but if you think it's the only exotic to use ever then that is on yourself. I only use it on one of my three characters, and regularly switch it out on the one that I do too. Besides, the game is already artificially difficult, you really wanna nerf one of the few weapons that can counter the ridiculous bullet sponge nature of this game? Nerfing a weapon to punish the single-player/PvE player is ridiculous. You're just making the game more frustrating to play (which it already kinda is sometimes). That goes for any exotic out there.

The thing is, it basically does twice as much damage as Truth, another exotic rocket launcher. That is a pretty significant disparity between two same level weapons. Now I wouldn't mind them buffing Truth or Dragon's Breath to a similar damage level but we all know that's not going to happen.
I'm fine with exotics being best in slot weapons but Gjallarhorn is just broken. When they nerfed ARs because of the Suros they said they wanted people to use all kinds of weapons but at the same time every single person who owns a Gjallarhorn will use that weapon exclusively for hard bosses. It's basically the same situation but in this case Bungie doesn't do anything about it.
Watch them never offer the upgrade to "fix" the situation...
A 300 damage Gjallarhor still outdamages every other 331 damage exotic RL so who cares...

Steroyd

You don't need a single Gjalahorn.

All team should be 31 and sniper fire (Ice Breaker, Queen sniper) and normal launchers can do wonders.

Gjalahorn is nor needed. We only use Ice Breakers.

Lol the irony, you only need 1 level 31.

Gjallahorn is not needed, but it makes it far easier for the sword holder to rush to Crota straightaway when they grab it, rather than, you know, time the run and communicate with the team accordingly.

Shocking there's no Titan only or Maxed Raid boots sword holder requirements to go with that.

I recently discussed this with my brother while doing some random bounties. There really is no point in using any other rocket launcher if you have this beast. I'm pretty sure they will never let Xur sell it again because it is so broken.
Why don't the just nerf Gjallarhorn to a point where it's more in line with other alternatives and treat it like a normal exotic again? I'd rather have a more balanced version available to more people than a broken version that's exclusive to a lucky bunch.
No no no no no. No. No. No. No. No.

Fuck that. It's one of the few exotics that actually deserves the title of being exotic.

Steroyd

The thing is, it basically does twice as much damage as Truth, another exotic rocket launcher. That is a pretty significant disparity between two same level weapons. Now I wouldn't mind them buffing Truth or Dragon's Breath to a similar damage level but we all know that's not going to happen.
I'm fine with exotics being best in slot weapons but Gjallarhorn is just broken. When they nerfed ARs because of the Suros they said they wanted people to use all kinds of weapons but at the same time every single person who owns a Gjallarhorn will use that weapon exclusively for hard bosses. It's basically the same situation but in this case Bungie doesn't do anything about it.
A 300 damage Gjallarhor still outdamages every other 331 damage exotic RL so who cares...

But that was for Pvp reasons, you was always going to fight a Suros with another Suros, it's also why they nerfed Pocket Infinity, heck the Crota fight itself felt like it was designed to be anti Gjallarhorn'd anyway.

Maledict

Fuck that. It's one of the few exotics that actually deserves the title of being exotic.

Other than Fatebringer, I cannot think of a single legendary that is as good as the exotic in that slot. Otherwise Exotics are the best weapons you can get your hands on, straight up.

Gallahorn is too good. FAR FAR too good. It is better than any other exotic in the game, by a long way, and significantly more powerful than any other weapon choice you have. It's ability to take down single targets is ludicrously better than any other weapon, to the point where a team maxed out on gallahorns is going to find content so ridiculously easier than a team without them it's not funny.

The idea that you should never nerf anything and always buff stuff is one that has existed in MMOs forever, and yet despite the fact it's self-evidently wrong continues to this day it seems. Sometimes stuff is just *too good* and needs to be toned down. How the heck are Bungie supposed to balance a boss fight to take into account one group might have 4 Gallahorns and the other might not have any?

KeRaSh

I honestly agree with that. Maybe I phrased my previous posts wrong. I don't actually want Bungie to nerf Gjallarhorn but I am really, really surprised that they haven't done so already.
Gjallarhorn and Ice Breaker are the only unique exotics in my opinion. They offer something that no other weapon offers and other exotics should give that same feeling.
As as Sunbro I love the idea of the Dragon's Breath but right now it's just not up to par when you compare it with a Gjallarhorn.
When I first read the first perk I thought it would have some suoper tripple rocket shot ala Unreal Tournament. Now that would make it unique enough to be considered a top of the line exotic comparable to Gjallarhorn. The balance would come from the fact that you still use up a lot of ammo to do burst damage and without tracking missiles you have to make sure every shot counts.

I think Truth is actually the superior exotic in pvp. I use it over Gjallarhorn every time.

Maledict

I think Truth is actually the superior exotic in pvp. I use it over Gjallarhorn every time.

I think for PVP to be honest the exotic balance is much better. Gjallarhorn's brokenness comes into play in PvE. in PvP you can make an argument for a huge number of exotics to be overpowered, which really is how it should be.

Shito

Other than Fatebringer, I cannot think of a single legendary that is as good as the exotic in that slot. Otherwise Exotics are the best weapons you can get your hands on, straight up.

Gallahorn is too good. FAR FAR too good. It is better than any other exotic in the game, by a long way, and significantly more powerful than any other weapon choice you have. It's ability to take down single targets is ludicrously better than any other weapon, to the point where a team maxed out on gallahorns is going to find content so ridiculously easier than a team without them it's not funny.

The idea that you should never nerf anything and always buff stuff is one that has existed in MMOs forever, and yet despite the fact it's self-evidently wrong continues to this day it seems. Sometimes stuff is just *too good* and needs to be toned down. How the heck are Bungie supposed to balance a boss fight to take into account one group might have 4 Gallahorns and the other might not have any?
By taking into account the fact that Gjalla is most efficient against a SINGLE target?
It excels at melting down bosses, but it has little to no use against waves of enemies in other parts of the game, where Dragon Breath will probably shine *way more*.
The way some of you are talking about this weapon, you would think it wins the game for you, in every situation and every phase possible.
It was the same thing when Xûr sold the Ice Breaker: everyone clamoring it breaks the game and is way overpowered. Well, I now rarely use mine, and when I do it's more often than not to use it as quicker and cheaper ammo synthesis.

Nodnol

I need the 'Horn too.

It's the one glaring omission in my armoury. Only one of my group has had one, and that's only dropped this week!

RNGesus gives with one hand, takes away with other and then laughs at you. I generally have good luck, and I'm far from hard down by compared to others, but I'd trade half of it for a Horn!

Maledict

When we get to a boss fight where we don't have to take down single targets then that might be a valid point, but unfortunately "bullet-sponge" isn't a term of endearment someone thought up for fun... :)

Someone above said that it shouldn't be nerfed because it's the only thing that makes the bullet-sponge bosses a bit more bearable, which seems a rather odd opinion - what on earth do the people without Gjallahorns do? Again, how does Bungie balance around the fact someone might have double the single target damage of someone else?

Shito

When we get to a boss fight where we don't have to take down single targets then that might be a valid point, but unfortunately "bullet-sponge" isn't a term of endearment someone thought up for fun... :)
You're acting like Gjalla lets you kill the harder bosses with no sweat. It does not: it only lets you do it *quicker*. You still have to abide by the mechanics around beating said boss, you still have to disable the templar's shield, you still have to get warped and kill oracles to make significant damage to Atheon, you still have to get the sword to damage Crota...
What it does is making your like easier, as a good exotic weapon should.

Someone above said that it shouldn't be nerfed because it's the only thing that makes the bullet-sponge bosses a bit more bearable, which seems a rather odd opinion - what on earth do the people without Gjallahorns do?
Usually?
Suffer from too long a fight.
I don't mind raid bosses having that much HP, but the strike ones have WAY TOO MANY.
If they don't decide to nerf those, I'm totally okay with them including "broken" weapons like Gjalla. The day they nerf the bosses HP, I'll be on your side for a Gjalla nerf... :)

Maledict

You're acting like Gjalla lets you kill the harder bosses with no sweat. It does not: it only lets you do it *quicker*. You still have to abide by the mechanics around beating said boss, you still have to disable the templar's shield, you still have to get warped and kill oracles to make significant damage to Atheon, you still have to get the sword to damage Crota...
What it does is making your like easier, as a good exotic weapon should.

I hate to appeal to authority here, but in terms of raiding and boss fights, there is *nothing* more powerful once you have a fight learnt than DPS. the faster the fight goes, the easier it is. the less chance for screw ups, the less chance of failure. It's why raiding guilds in MMOa prioritise gear to DPS once their tanks and healers have the bare minimum to cover a fight.

A team of gallahorns means you can do Atheon in two cycles (or even 1!), rather than 3 / 4, which drastically increases your chances of beating the fight. same with Templar - staying alive for 1 minute whilst the shield goes down is far easier than staying alive for 4 minutes. If you have a 5% failure rate per minute on something, then the group with higher DPS is going to be far more successful than he group without.

DPS is king in raid fights - always has been, always will be barring some unique one-off fight mechanic. the more you have the better - it makes fights far far easier, and lets you kill bosses you might not be able to if the fight went on for double the time.

Hyun Sai

By taking into account the fact that Gjalla is most efficient against a SINGLE target?
It excels at melting down bosses, but it has little to no use against waves of enemies in other parts of the game, where Dragon Breath will probably shine *way more*.
The way some of you are talking about this weapon, you would think it wins the game for you, in every situation and every phase possible.
It was the same thing when Xûr sold the Ice Breaker: everyone clamoring it breaks the game and is way overpowered. Well, I now rarely use mine, and when I do it's more often than not to use it as quicker and cheaper ammo synthesis.

That is not really the point.

When Bungie will realize it became de facto the required weapon of the Crota raid in the LFGs of destinylfg.net and thus frustating those who don't have it, they'll have to something about it.

SkylineRKR

Gjallarhorn is helpful, but it should be. Its an exotic heavy with limited ammo. Truth is a better shot and has 3, but it should be buffed with some sort of AoE effect thats weaker than Horn but makes it better than Hezen. Though I prefer to use Truth over Horn in the Raid until the gatekeepers. It does shred Minotaurs big time as well, does have higher blast radius than Horn.

I have 331 Horn now. I feel lucky, but so jelly at people running with Hawkmoon and Thunderlord. Everyone has something the other doesn't have.

Midas

Any tips for the
wizard part of Crota's End
? It's always the tricky one when I play.
Tactic which we use is to lure them out, kill them, take the shrikers and then attack. But there are so many crazy knights that kill us all quite often.

Kensuke

GHorn is empty half the time though. I prefer Icebreaker and Corrective Measure/Hunger of Crota for many situations. I also can't be using ammo packs every few minutes, considering how valuable glimmer has become.

Shito

When Bungie will realize it became de facto the required weapon of the Crota raid in the LFGs of destinylfg.net and thus frustating those who don't have it, they'll have to something about it.
I don't think this requirement will last very long.
Once more people start hitting 31 and 32, and more people know the mechanics, this requirement will fade away.

Then again, I would absolutely love it if Bungie's solution was to make Xûr sell Gjalla this week! :3

SkylineRKR

GHorn is empty half the time though. I prefer Icebreaker and Corrective Measure/Hunger of Crota for many situations. I also can't be using ammo packs every few minutes, considering how valuable glimmer has become.

CM is about the only heavy that basically never runs out. Its ridiculously multi purpose, though weak on long distance fights.

Jinjo

That's just LFG people being dumb since having all Gjalla's is not gonna help you against crota. It's all about timing no matter what weapon you use.
You can get the shield down faster maybe, but you're still gonna need to time the swordbearer getting there. No point in blowing your load and ammo early. I'd always just fire one Gjallaround and then unload with my sniper. Icebreakers are equally effective in taking down the shield for instance. Or a few regular rocket launchers for instance.

If they think Gjalla is the only exotic to use ever than really that is on them. Meanwhile I'm having fun with Hawkmoon/Thorn on my hunter and gonna upgrade Bad Juju as soon as my Warlock gets Obsidian Mind.

I can imagine that is a requirement on LFG since it might correct for the incompetence of people on there. As someone said, less time spend on the fight the better. But again, it's no use on Crota since
it's more on the swordbearer to damage him.

ocean

Banned
Any tips for the
Tactic which we use is to lure them out, kill them, take the shrikers and then attack. But there are so many crazy knights that kill us all quite often.

Once both Shriekers are down and you go to the middle room where the singer is, it'll be extremely crowded with all sorts of enemies. There are some "hooks" dangling from the ceiling and some ledges that you can jump to. You can still be shot but at least the Thrall and melee Knights won't be able to touch you.

Midas

I really don't understand the need for Gjallarhorn in Crota's End.
We get him down really fast without it. Is it just that people don't have the patience to take him down four times?

Also, don't we need spoiler tags anymore? Did you agree on anything in regards to this? I remember something about spoiler tags until the end of the weekend?

Midas

Once both Shriekers are down and you go to the middle room where the singer is, it'll be extremely crowded with all sorts of enemies. There are some "hooks" dangling from the ceiling and some ledges that you can jump to. You can still be shot but at least the Thrall and melee Knights won't be able to touch you.

Yeah, we do something like that as well. I guess we just have to be careful. And maybe level up the raid weapons for more damage. Thanks.

GobFather

I am a warlock, can anyone help me determine which NPC gear i should get for my warlock? (Currently lvl30) I have 180 for vanguard, crucible and FWC. Im a little confused lol. Thanks in advance!

Any tips for the

another way to lure out the wizards is too throw solar/pulse grenades into the ceiling in the entrance where the crystal juts out. The damage should hurt them and they'll come out by themselves. Also flashbangs/saint 14 bubble is useful for the knights

raindoc

interesting. we just gather in the shrieker room (on the right as you enter the area), take out some Knights and blast away. IB, G'horn, LMGs, grenade spam... whatever we have.

Rixa

Suffer from too long a fight.
I don't mind raid bosses having that much HP, but the strike ones have WAY TOO MANY.
If they don't decide to nerf those, I'm totally okay with them including "broken" weapons like Gjalla. The day they nerf the bosses HP, I'll be on your side for a Gjalla nerf... :)

If that new Crota strike comes in RoC, I depart. Did it once in RoC and its enough for me to see how awul it is, boss has way too much HP (I dont have Gjallababy or I C U Break Em).
What a horrible strike ending, otherwise its fun strike but end boss is bullshit.

I am a warlock, can anyone help me determine which NPC gear i should get for my warlock? (Currently lvl30) I have 180 for vanguard, crucible and FWC. Im a little confused lol. Thanks in advance!

Try to get exotic helmet (I had Apotheosis Vail before tune, now I got Skull of Dire Ahamkara. Legendary NPC gear is just for preparing to get Raid gear. Raid helmet drops only from hard raid.

Jinjo

If that new Crota strike comes in RoC, I depart. Did it once in RoC and its enough for me to see how awul it is, boss has way too much HP (I dont have Gjallababy or I C U Break Em).
What a horrible strike ending, otherwise its fun strike but end boss is bullshit.

Even with a Gjallarhorn the strikeboss is ridiculous, arguably a Thunderlord is probably better for this fight too. Bungie got down on the anti-cheese mechanisms too hard, which make the boss fight really annoying/boring. Small room with literally hundreds of enemies that you have to fight off before you can even get in the room. The entire strike is that way btw. The first room with all the fallen/hive is complete bullshit too. Can't even leave the first room. If they actually made balanced/fair bosses/encounters people wouldn't feel the need to cheese. Strange that they went this way, because the PS exclusive strike is actually fun.

Rixa

Got to Eris rank 2 in exactly a week. Hopefully it won't take to long to at least get to rank 3. I want that runed core.

How Bungie it would be that you can only buy 1 RC per week or per rank. I myself wont do every Eris bounty (dont like them).

Btw. I had difficulties with my lvl 28 alt to solo "Fist of Crota" quest
Main boss was level 24
. I needed to grab best weapons (Vex, Murmur, Unfriendly Giant) from my main char and still it was really difficult.

Even with a Gjallarhorn the strikeboss is ridiculous, arguably a Thunderlord is probably better for this fight too. Bungie got down on the anti-cheese mechanisms too hard, which make the boss fight really annoying/boring. Small room with literally hundreds of enemies that you have to fight off before you can even get in the room. If they actually made balanced/fair bosses people wouldn't feel the need to cheese. Strange that they went this way, because the PS exclusive strike is actually fun.

Yes, it didnt help that my char is 31 level at all :(. Those who havent played that RoC strike might be wondering why I depart.

This is the amount of enemies in NF version on that strike:
There are still hundreds of enemies in RoC strike.

Midas

another way to lure out the wizards is too throw solar/pulse grenades into the ceiling in the entrance where the crystal juts out. The damage should hurt them and they'll come out by themselves. Also flashbangs/saint 14 bubble is useful for the knights

Ah, that's smart.

Shito

Even with a Gjallarhorn the strikeboss is ridiculous, arguably a Thunderlord is probably better for this fight too. Bungie got down on the anti-cheese mechanisms too hard, which make the boss fight really annoying/boring. Small room with literally hundreds of enemies that you have to fight off before you can even get in the room. If they actually made balanced/fair bosses people wouldn't feel the need to cheese. Strange that they went this way, because the PS exclusive strike is actually fun.
Yep, only did it once for the weekly with my girlfriend, to test it, and we then decided to skip this week's nightfall completely. We stayed at the entrance, slowly chipping away at the boss, and wiped three times on those assholes arc burn knights.
The strike is nice, but this boss fight is not worth our time. I'll probably skip it the next time it comes back into the rotation.

Hyun Sai

I can agree. They need to tone down the health or the frequency of the adds, that's what makes the fight last that long.

Rixa

Yep, only did it once for the weekly with my girlfriend, to test it, and we then decided to skip this week's nightfall completely. We stayed at the entrance, slowly chipping away at the boss, and wiped three times on those assholes arc burn knights.
The strike is nice, but this boss fight is not worth our time. I'll probably skip it the next time it comes back into the rotation.

Vice decision, Nightfall (see pic in previous post) did take ~55minutes to clear. It just aint worth of.

Shito

I can agree. They need to tone down the health or the frequency of the adds, that's what makes the fight last that long.
Actually, they only need to reduce the HP: the adds spawn depending on her life.
The exploding thralls go unannounced, but the acolytes / knights / warlocks waves come after she lets out a scream when you damage her enough.

Kensuke

How Bungie it would be that you can only buy 1 RC per week or per rank. I myself wont do every Eris bounty (dont like them).

Why would you want more runed cores?

I really dislike the ones where you have to wait for a swordbearer to spawn somewhere. Just standing there and waiting for the message is not my idea of fun. The other missions are mostly very easy though.

Those potential rewards are too good to pass up though. You should try it with a 3 man team and let 1 person stay in the back at all times in case something goes wrong. Yes, it's tedious.

Top Bottom