• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

LiK

If we didn't fail so hard on the bridge part for the longest time. We probably could've beaten the raid last night. Damn V_V

Fucking adore this raid tho. So good. I feel like this raid is all Bungie put forth in terms of effort into this DLC.

We spent an hour trying to figure bridge out. Then spent another hour with lag. Then another Nami disconnected so we had to get someone else which took some time. Definitely would've been faster if we knew exactly what to do immediately.

We'll finish it tomorrow. If we need to look up strata again, we should. For the loot!

bucyou55

Banned
Wow so I joined a nightfall group from my friends list. 2 29's and a 30. We died 3 times at the semi beginning part when all the thrall come out. Guess I need to level my new gear...

Bladelaw

So I've played through all the Dark Below content (sans raid). Thoughts in the spoiler tag if anyone's interested. No raid comments.

The Eris questline is alright. It's an improvement from Scan and Shoot that encompases the base game. Eris has a personality but due to the way her quests are given and the lack of cutscenes or any range of motion beyond her idle animation in the tower keep her from Queen/Asshole Brother levels of characterization for me. The voice work is pretty good. Having to rep yet another faction is a giant pain in the ass though. Does anyone enjoy rep grinding? Why does the quest line not give any rep? You'd think they would kickstart you to level 1 with the quest stuff but nope.

The actual missions are the same old go here, kill a few waves of enemies, repeat which is kind of a bummer. The second quest mission had potential near the end and as I said before introducing a Strike boss in the story was a nice touch but it still devolved into a wave based shooting gallery. The Will of Crota Strike is a hallmark of lazy encounter design. It starts with a wave of Fallen, then Hive, then Fallen and Hive before you can proceed. Then it moves into a fight uphill against Hive and Omnigul shows up to throw stuff at you which was nice but still amounted to wave based shooting until Omnigul got bored. The actual boss fight is again not all that interesting. The arena is beautiful though. It seems like the level designers were trying real hard to prevent any cheese which is commendable, but they also throw dozens of enemies at you at once which becomes tedious instead of difficult once you figure out the spawn pattern. On normal difficulty you can just waltz in and stomp everything. In the Weekly/Nightfall you have to meticulously press forward since 90%-95% of the enemies use Arc damage including the boss. Also Nightfall rewards SERIOUSLY need to be looked at. Running that bullshit strike should net you more than 6 strange coins. Also the level 30 weekly still only awards 9 strange coins.

The new crucible maps are there. I think it's Skyshock which is just the Steppes, Mothyards, and Forgotten Shore turned into a multiplayer map and is therefore sniper heaven. The game gets real boring when everyone is camping and any one that tries to engage is headshotted. Pantheon is fun but a shotgun paradise.

I haven't acquired many new items, just Murmur, and the new Vanguard Machine Gun (I prefer the Swarm). My vanguard care package had Hunter Boots and I can buy the rest of the gear if I really wanted to but I'm holding off until after Xur and I try Nightfall next week to see if I can save myself a commendation and pick up a weapon instead. The Vex Mythoclast still seems underpowered in level 30 PVE even with it's higher attack rating but maybe I'm expecting too much. The Last Word felt more powerful despite only being 300 instead of 323. The commendation thing isn't as bad as I was fearing but it's still pretty annoying. Only Helmets, Chestpieces, and Weapons cost commendations so with a new exotic helm or chest you only need one commendation to hit 31. None of the new vendor stuff looks exciting weaponwise. For the most part they look like upgraded versions of the 300 legendaries. I'll know more as I pick them up and cycle out my old stuff.

Overall there's a lot of content but not a lot of interesting content which is a shame because it's still fun to shoot stuff.

I think I'm hopping off the treadmill as the grind is taking its toll. I hit 30 just last week and feel like I've been shot back down to 28 which normally wouldn't bother me but I've only had a week to enjoy being up top. Having to buy and re-level an entire set of armor just to get close so soon after is a bit of a bummer. Also does Bungie hate Bladedancers/Strikers in PVE? Melee supers are still complete garbage/suicide traps in high level PVE. Arc Blade doesn't even generate many orbs to justify the risk and on Arc Burn where it could theoretically shine every enemy has an arc melee, add Lightswitch to that and there's no offensive point to the skill. The other modifiers (PBAOE blast and the forward arc wave) do good damage but the animation gets you killed.

/rant

The more I think about the new gear in the tower the most of a mistake bungie made, tower goods should have really been capped at 30 light so the vault of glass still held some reason for running it, and for those who have 30 light gear from the vault after months of RNG don;t have to scrap it all for better shop bought gear.

It's a terrible decision from bungie to do such a thing, I still can't believe they did this, killing off one vault to favour another.

Or how about 2 new raids. One for 31 and another for 32. They can't seriously have that big if a team to only come out with 1 raid in 3 Months considering they only had 1 raid during the duration of base/vanilla Destiny.

I'm fine with having the vendors sell 31 gear but... Just bear with this... How about having the ability to either upgrade existing VoG gear so they aren't worthless and DROP 31 gear in Hard Mode VoG. Something so that VoG isn't damn near worthless now. Yes you can get mytho and energy/shards but that's about it.

Hoodbury

today when signing into destiny i had to accept a new eula
who am i selling my soul to now?

ill do whatever it takes to get ballerhorn

I had to accept that last night when I logged in. Are you saying there is another one today? Or did you not have to do it yesterday?

PuMa

i got 9 strange coins this week....the other 2 guys i was with each got a NEW expansion legendary weapon...

salty...

Even saltier...

I got 9 strange coins from the NF as well, but my buddies in the same fireteam got:

9 strange coins
7 strange coins

UGLY!

I don't understand why some people are calling it 'wasted effort'. I call it 'having fun for 3 months'. Maybe some people just aren't used to MMO style progression grinds...

If people enjoy the grind and are OK with it being erased on some frequency that is fine. For me, I would rather use my time doing something else.

We spent an hour trying to figure bridge out. Then spent another hour with lag. Then another Nami disconnected so we had to get someone else which took some time. Definitely would've been faster if we knew exactly what to do immediately.

We'll finish it tomorrow. If we need to look up strata again, we should. For the loot!

I'd just like to remind everyone that I said at the start of the
bridge section that we all had to kill a Gatekeeper each

>_>

Chitown B

I was able to kill him before any adds spawned even on Heroic.

All our weapons are maxed at 24, and I was using legendary/exotics maxed. Seems like that's also random since sometimes they spawned and sometimes they just never did until way later.

If people enjoy the grind and are OK with it being erased on some frequency that is fine. For me, I would rather use my time doing something else.

Agreed. It'd be like if Halo wiped your rank every 3 months. What's the point then? I just wouldn't play ranked. If there was some sort of Customs for Destiny maybe that would be different, but you can't really get large groups together to play for a clan night, so what's the point?

FyreWulff

Finally did the nightfall

QNGy3N0.jpg

Going to feel weird to be able to cloak as a titan

LTWood12

Also fine! I wouldn't call it being erased though. VoG weapons are still great.

They really are. Was using Fatebringer and Praetorian Foil on the level 30 story missions last night. Neither was fully upgraded, but both were kicking ass.

i think it's obvious to see why people who ran the vault of glass for instance weekly on 3 characters to get raid weapons and hit level 30 are now feeling slighted that you can simply buy better weapons and gear that not only gets you to level 30, but beyond.

even if that was par for the course with MMOs (again, which i've avoided), i'd still think it was bad game design.

i think it's obvious to see why people who ran the vault of glass for instance weekly on 3 characters to get raid weapons and hit level 30 are now feeling slighted that you can simply buy better weapons and gear that not only gets you to level 30, but beyond.

At least getting gear seems to be a lot more frequent in this raid.
You didn't curse much. I love you.

Haha we weren't playing PvP.

Chitown B

even if that was par for the course with MMOs (again, which i've avoided), i'd still think it was bad game design.

I didn't see any gear that was 30 to buy. Where is that?

FyreWulff

You may be the first person to say something positive about Skyshock.

I'm waiting to see if Skyshock plays better on Control where people are being focused into each other via the objectives.

Right now it's basically a good indicator on why there isn't World PvP

is it possible for non DLC owners to find 231 dmg legendaries? not bumped into one yet.

Anything in the crucible seems to be limited to pre-dlc drops.

PuMa

i wouldn't play a shitty MMO that reset my progress every 3 months.

This mindset is so alien and baffling to me. Nothing is 'reset'. It's a progression cycle. You get gear and use that gear to get better gear. When you get the better gear, you can then use that to get even better gear! That's how it works in almost every MMO-style game ever. This is an FPS with MMO-style elements.

You don't want to play a 'shitty MMO'? That's perfectly cool. You don't have to.

I'd just like to remind everyone that I said at the start of the
bridge section that we all had to kill a Gatekeeper each

>_>

yea fig we all love you but i gotta be honest, i can barely hear ya sometimes especially over everyone else. maybe it was just the waves of thralls that was distracting me but sometimes those callouts flew right over my head. is why i kinda mentioned towards the end we gotta stay focused because i had no idea what was happening.

cilonen

I was expecting Eris to be selling legendary gauntlets, but they don't seem to be there. Do they show up after the strike is complete or are they AWOL for now?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I'll see you guys online then!

No!! The Crotas End Raid booooooots

I think I missed you online, which is my fault because I messed up the time. Apologies. If you got it done, awesome. If not, I can run it with you tonight if you like.

Edit, I will say it is definitely a tough one and I got 7 coins on my main for it. I was not happy, but not surprised, lol. :(

So for those that have at least started the raid, what guns should I be bringing?

I am thinking the following:

Primary: FB, VoC, Vex, Thorn (331 version, it's my new favorite gun in the game)

Secondary: Murmur, IB, PR, 77Wiz, FV

Heavy: HezVen, CM

Any on that list that you guys wouldn't bother with? Any weapons I'm missing (I have just about everything but the Horn)?

yea fig we all love you but i gotta be honest, i can barely hear ya sometimes especially over everyone else. maybe it was just the waves of thralls that was distracting me but sometimes those callouts flew right over my head. is why i kinda mentioned towards the end we gotta stay focused because i had no idea what was happening.

And I thought I was talking quite loudly. :p

We know what to do now, so it isn't an issue.

Has anyone on GAF beat the end of the raid yet? Leveling up to 31 to hopefully be able to complete it.

Edit: Any reason why when I logged on Bungie is making me agree to limited licensee again? I hate the fact that I do not own my game, I own the rights to play it.

E92 M3

i wouldn't play a shitty MMO that reset my progress every 3 months.

Exactly! Sure, equalize the playing field a year down the line - but not fucking 3 months. Sometimes I wonder if Bungie guys play this game seriously like we do.

Top Bottom