• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Iceman829

So, I am wondering guys: What is the point of shards for people that do raids? I got to 31, but now what? Weren't we promised some form of exchange? Energies are always useful, but shards seem to be a lot more limited since expansion 1.

You can exchange through Eriss. You need like rank 3 or 4 and need to give her glimmer and a black wax idol to exchange 1 shard for 1 energy or the other way around.

kuppy

ok how the heck do hunters do this? throwing knife doesn't count wtffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

titan - ward of dawn blind bubble lol lol lol
warlock - scorch melee someone else for a shield, melee cursed thrall
hunter - die
Takes like 10 minutes. Do 'The World's Grave' on the Moon (on normal or first heroic), go through the mission, near the end there is a cave you go through, has two or three of them plus some Thralls. Since you are on such a low level they don't kill you when they explode right in front of you. After that cafe is clear, go to orbit, start mission again, checkpoint is right in front of the cave. You can take out the Thralls first or go into that cave while invisible.

Who wants to run Crota's End from the start? Starting once we are full. 30 or higher preferably. I've beaten the Raid twice with my other two characters.

-PSN Subtervotion
-Berimboa
-Ikkarus
-Ambitious
-Brolly1016
-EroticSucshi

We have a full team. Everyone almost ready?
I'm good to go now. Just send me an invite.

E92 M3

You can exchange through Eriss. You need like rank 3 or 4 and need to give her glimmer and a black wax idol to exchange 1 shard for 1 energy or the other way around.

It was ascended shards - should've been more clear. If you think about, they really are useless after the initial upgrades. They were marginalized too much.

Daemul

I am sick and fucking tired of carrying shitty players in Crucible. In my last Clash game, 4 players, 4 fucking players, all went fucking negative. We only won because me and another guy managed to kill more of the enemy than the enemy killed of those 4 pathetic players, but even then, we only won by less than 100 points.

I have checked the stats of these people on Destinytracker, most of them have 100+ games in Crucible. It is inexcusable that they fucking suck this bad, it makes no fucking sense.

Fuck this shit man.

I was talking about ass mats - should have been more clear. They seem to serve no purpose besides leveling the initial pre-raid armor.

There is no excuse for not including ass mat exchange. It is just another hurdle. I am sitting on 42 Energy and 0 Shards. I just need 12 shards to get to lvl 31 but the daily is being stingy. Can't wait for VoG reset.

They do serve a purpose, as you already stated, for pre-raid armor which is what the vast majority of the player base needs to progress. Only hard core raiders going for 32 will toss them aside.

Polygon has a great article today up that catalogs the multitude of ways that The Dark Below's systems are incredibly punishing, especially to dedicated players. This article is from the same guy who previously defending the game and the loot system, just like I did.

In the Vault of Glass, people complained about the RNG causing them to never get certain loot drops. In Crota's End, people will be complaining that they can't upgrade their gear because they don't have enough upgrade materials.

Raiders have to set aside their once-prestigious Vault of Glass gear and undertake the meaningless, repetitive and unnecessary grind required to upgrade another set of vendor gear in order to progress in the raid.

The only justification anyone can seem to offer for this [random, incredibly expensive, grindy exotic upgrade system] is that you aren't supposed to have a collection of upgraded exotics, and you're only supposed to pick and choose a few that are actually worth grinding multiple times. I wish somebody had told me that before I upgraded them the first time.

If Bungie can acknowledge its mistakes, maybe the developers can regain some of the trust they've lost with this debacle of an expansion. But if the developers hold course, the community is likely to be much smaller when the House of Wolves DLC launches. Most of us will probably migrate to less grindy, more casual games.

cilonen

Quick question, does crucible faction gear (I.e. Bonds, marks and cloaks) work the same as other faction gear in that it diverts all my rep towards the crucible?

Got a second Secret Handshake but this one has the random bullet damage, hammer forged and full auto perk. Looks pretty good. Better than the Found Verdict.

Slightly off topic but Destiny XB1 GAF, anyone have the Turtle Beach Stealth 500s? Its xmas/bday time for me, what thinking about snagging these. 100% wireless (no chat plug in to controller, plus they channel hop (my PX5 are garbage anywhere need iOS devices). Amazon dropped price 30 bucks so they are under 200.

Atkison04

I know that feel breh. I bought a Vita yesterday!

I was just looking at a vita as well. When do you guys plan to use yours? I don't have access to my work's wifi, but if I did I would be all over the vita. Doing bounties at work? Yes please! I just don't know when else I would use it besides bathroom breaks at home and mmmaybe vacations.

SAiLO

ok how the heck do hunters do this? throwing knife doesn't count wtffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

titan - ward of dawn blind bubble lol lol lol
warlock - scorch melee someone else for a shield, melee cursed thrall
hunter - die
One at the time did the job for me.

Shito

I was just looking at a vita as well. When do you guys plan to use yours? I don't have access to my work's wifi, but if I did I would be all over the vita. Doing bounties at work? Yes please! I just don't know when else I would use it besides bathroom breaks at home and mmmaybe vacations.
I don't know how people can play some actual missions, even patrols, in remote play.
I only use my vita to setup my character / take some bounties, but other than that I can't deal with the input lag to actually play the game with it.

E92 M3

There is no excuse for not including ass mat exchange. It is just another hurdle. I am sitting on 42 Energy and 0 Shards. I just need 12 shards to get to lvl 31 but the daily is being stingy. Can't wait for VoG reset.

They do serve a purpose, as you already stated, for pre-raid armor which is what the vast majority of the player base needs to progress. Only hard core raiders going for 32 will toss them aside.

Yes, there needs to be exchange. The pre-raid armor is only a one time thing - most people don't need to switch and upgrade armor constantly. The next time I'll be using ass shards is for house of wolves, unless they change something. That's not right.

Polygon has a great article today up that catalogs the multitude of ways that The Dark Below's systems are incredibly punishing, especially to dedicated players. This article is from the same guy who previously defending the game and the loot system, just like I did.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. I've definitely put the brakes on a little in terms of leveling up and grinding. I really like the raid so I have a reason to get my three characters to level 31. Outside of that, if it weren't for the group of people that I play with, I wouldn't be playing much at all.

As the article states, I will be very selective about what I upgrade going forward. No more "gotta collect 'em all" shit.

Deku Tree

So this is what I am getting from all of these articles. Destiny is a Grindy game that is designed to appeal to players that enjoy the grind. But many old Bungie Halo Fans really want to like Destiny but they want it to be a halo 2.0 pick up and play shooter without much or any grind. They don't like grind and they are mad that Bungie is not making this game for their tastes... OK.

I travel a bunch for work so that's my biggest reason to get one. Holidays (like the one coming up) and vacations will also be a good time to do it.

Oh, and playing from bed. Finish off those bounties while catching up on sports highlights? Perfect.

I highly suggest if you are about to go into PVP roll with gaffers, thanks so much guys for earlier. Almost have two of my characters full with 5K bounties, hoping for something good to drop for me to use it on soon.

Iceman829

It was ascended shards - should've been more clear. If you think about, they really are useless after the initial upgrades. They were marginalized too much.

They are only useful for the generic vendor gear. They phased out their need really quick, especially if you were hording them. Good thing is I only have about 60 remaining. My energy stock is about 135 for all the new legendaries I'll be upgrading. The weapon smith should get an exchange to swap the ass mats for one another. Make him relevant for something other than heavy ammo synth and blue fusion rifles.

So this is what I am getting from all of these articles. Destiny is a Grindy game that is designed to appeal to players that enjoy the grind. But many old Bungie Halo Fans really want to like Destiny but they want it to be a halo 2.0 pick up and play shooter without much or any grind. They don't like grind and they are mad that Bungie is not making this game for their tastes... OK.

I think they are making the case that the grinds don't make sense or are punitive to the most dedicated players. People will grind for gear but it is frustrating to find that the harder you grind the game will actively punish you proportionate to your time dedicated and then have to grind even more. (I.e. the Exotic upgrade system). This is unnecessary and poor design. A few tweaks could make it a lot better for everyone.

Feorax

It's one thing to be grindy. It's something else entirely to only be allowed to grind when the dev says you are allowed to.

Atkison04

I don't know how people can play some actual missions, even patrols, in remote play.
I only use my vita to setup my character / take some bounties, but other than that I can't deal with the input lag to actually play the game with it.

I travel a bunch for work so that's my biggest reason to get one. Holidays (like the one coming up) and vacations will also be a good time to do it.

Oh, and playing from bed. Finish off those bounties while catching up on sports highlights? Perfect.

So the controls are wonky? I watched a video on YouTube for destiny on the vita and it looked kind of off putting to be honest. Tapping the left or right side of the screen to throw grenade or melee? I've had several people join me in strikes that were using the vita (that sounds like such a pain to do). Hmm, i don't know. I would love to be able to mess around with destiny during work hours, but i don't know of any ways to make that happen where i work. God forbid my supervisor see that thing too.

Bladelaw

I use the Vita for Destiny when the wife or kid has the TV and I just need to run some bounties. I ran some crucible games too but purely for the pity rep/marks.

Or you know, add a loot drop at deathsinger. That would help somewhat.

It sucks that dismantling legendary gear doesn't give as much as legendary weapons, either. 5 energy for weapons is nice. And iron banner gear gave me nothing when I dismantled, sad! I don't understand why IB stuff gives nothing. That seems dumb.

Anjin M

...Only now all of your previously found loot has been obsoleted in one fell swoop, not just some items but literally all of them. Every single item, all of the guns from the old raid are terrible and outclassed by random legendary drops now. They basically spread crota's arse end open over all of your old stuff and turned it into shit. It's like the midas touch but with shit instead of gold really....
This makes me wish that one of the new mobs was named The Arse Of Crota.

Greenymac

Last night on our very first Flawless Raider attempt, I was teasing Deku for falling at the jump puzzle, the last time he tried it.

And I fell heading to the Templar's Well.........the Templar's Well.
6LpWZ8c.jpg

Next time you guys give it a go, hit me up. Havent tried it yet, but think I can make it no probs. What templar strat are you guys using?

Thanks to the raid gear maxing at 27 light before you get enough raid mats to hit the last bubbles, both my Titan and my Hunter are stuck at 30.

If they don't make that patch this week, I will be very bummed.

Forgot to mention, raid into a weird bug last night in the new raid that forced a wipe,
after killing the swordbearer and picking up the sword, it disappeared entirely.
Anyone else seen that happen?

Yes when I was playing with Boguester he was telling us about that and it happened once or twice to us. Wouldn't be a Destiny raid without at least one or more wipe forcing bugs.

Yep, this is a common bug. I've had runs where it never happened and runs where it happened twice in a row. Almost seems like you can't be moving at a weird angle or running too fast when you try to grab it, not sure if anything in particular causes it or just random.

Or you know, add a loot drop at deathsinger. That would help somewhat.

It sucks that dismantling legendary gear doesn't give as much as legendary weapons, either. 5 energy for weapons is nice. And iron banner gear gave me nothing when I dismantled, sad! I don't understand why IB stuff gives nothing. That seems dumb.

Probably coded the same as the damn Queen's Wrath gear that Bungie panicked and locked down. Which is BS.
Is the raid gear upgrade patch today?

First time I'm hearing about this. What is it supposed to be?

gdt

Yep, this is a common bug. I've had runs where it never happened and runs where it happened twice in a row. Almost seems like you can't be moving at a weird angle or running too fast when you try to grab it, not sure if anything in particular causes it or just random.

It hit us twice last night, and me a few times Day 1 on the bridge.

Rubenov

I am sick and fucking tired of carrying shitty players in Crucible. In my last Clash game, 4 players, 4 fucking players, all went fucking negative. We only won because me and another guy managed to kill more of the enemy than the enemy killed of those 4 pathetic players, but even then, we only won by less than 100 points.

With randoms, 4 players going negative happens all the time.

realcZk

First time I'm hearing about this. What is it supposed to be?

The raid gear drops from Crota's End start at 27 light, so gear that drops from a level 30 raid will bring you under level 30 when equipped. Luke mentioned that there's a patch for this (no one knows when) that will retroactively correct raid gear to start at 30 light. I assume it'll drop the week before the next expansion pack, House of Wolves.

Top Bottom