• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

yeah, havent tried it yet but if you're wiping a lot its annoying because its just another time sink before your attempts. it wont affect the enrage timer since that starts after picking up the chalice afaik.

I asked about them getting enrage timers and they said it did pop up a few times when cheesing. since they weren't getting the chalice I don't think the timer starts when picking up chalice.

realcZk

I asked about them getting enrage timers and they said it did pop up a few times when cheesing. since they weren't getting the chalice I don't think the timer starts when picking up chalice.

Maybe its based on sword bearer kills? Sword drops? Or is it just a flat 8-9 minute timer from the second the crystal is activated? I have no idea...

KingV

After playing the weekly last night... The new strike sucks.

The Omnigul room at the end is just too claustrophobic. With arc burn Omnigul kills you in like three shots, even overlevelled. And she basically hides in between the boxes the entire time.

Going into the room is a deathtrap, so you have to sit in the hallway.

Couldn't clear it with two 27s on the 24 weekly :-/

Came close, and definitely could have cleared with a third, but no matchmaking.

With all the vita talk I got to thinking, does anyone use Vita TV? I think being able to play in a different room might be of some use to me. If there's too much lag it probably defeats the purpose. $70 on Amazon isn't too crazy.

Trakan

So this is what I am getting from all of these articles. Destiny is a Grindy game that is designed to appeal to players that enjoy the grind. But many old Bungie Halo Fans really want to like Destiny but they want it to be a halo 2.0 pick up and play shooter without much or any grind. They don't like grind and they are mad that Bungie is not making this game for their tastes... OK.

It's fine for it to be somewhat grindy, but not to the extent that Bungie is doing it. You should not have to completely re-level exotics, you should not have to grind out a new material to upgrade raid armor, you should not have to grind out another faction vendor with Eris. I mean a shader is locked behind level 5.

You shouldn't have an artificial glimmer cap so that you can only max out so many exotics per week. Xur shouldn't be the one that upgrades exotics considering he isn't in the tower very often. Adding commendations to slow down people who were maxed out on marks...

It's all crap to keep you playing.

ocean

Banned
Damn, Uzrok is not a piece of cake. Actually despawned before I killed him! How long does he take to come back to Skywatch?

phen0m24

With all the vita talk I got to thinking, does anyone use Vita TV? I think being able to play in a different room might be of some use to me. If there's too much lag it probably defeats the purpose. $70 on Amazon isn't too crazy.

Dusty I got one of those too. (We had hoped to use it on vacation)

If you hardwire, it will perform much better. Wireless there is definitely lag.

That
2 sword Crota kill is the exact strat I've been trying to get a few teams to do for a while now. Going down to the middle pulls the Sword Bearer really well, but people have to make sure their rockets don't hit a thrall, etc.

Class doesn't matter for Crota. GHorns aren't necessary. The only thing that matters is taking his shield down with consistent timing.

Lol! Thankfully, we we're able to get Flawless done last night!

Awesome, congrats! I'm up to try flawless Crota sometime if people want to mess around with it.

Maybe its based on sword bearer kills? Sword drops? Or is it just a flat 8-9 minute timer from the second the crystal is activated? I have no idea...

Could be wrong but I think the entire timer for the encounter including enrage starts
when you activate the crystal.

KingV

It's fine for it to be somewhat grindy, but not to the extent that Bungie is doing it. You should not have to completely re-level exotics, you should not have to grind out a new material to upgrade raid armor, you should not have to grind out another faction vendor with Eris. I mean a shader is locked behind level 5.

It's all crap to keep you playing.

Its also counterproductive with the frequency of the DLC. Now they have set a precedent that encourages hoarding mats and marks for the next DLC, so you can skip past the current tier into the next one.

Tying level straight to gear was a bad decision.

GobFather

After playing the weekly last night... The new strike sucks.

The Omnigul room at the end is just too claustrophobic. With arc burn Omnigul kills you in like three shots, even overlevelled. And she basically hides in between the boxes the entire time.

Going into the room is a deathtrap, so you have to sit in the hallway.

Couldn't clear it with two 27s on the 24 weekly :-/

Came close, and definitely could have cleared with a third, but no matchmaking.
Lol yea..wish there was matchmaking.. I sometimes ask fellow gaffers since they are friendly and because its a big community, there's always someone :p

rNilla

I have one but haven't used it too much. The latency seemed much worse on PSTV than Vita Remote Play. However, I was recently away and used it for a while and eventually the lag seemed pretty minimal, closer to what I've experienced with the Vita. I should experiment more with it but I haven't.

So this is what I am getting from all of these articles. Destiny is a Grindy game that is designed to appeal to players that enjoy the grind. But many old Bungie Halo Fans really want to like Destiny but they want it to be a halo 2.0 pick up and play shooter without much or any grind. They don't like grind and they are mad that Bungie is not making this game for their tastes... OK.

I don't understand how people can play hours and hours and hours of call of duty, battlefield, and halo when they get nothing from it. but playing destiny for hours and hours and hours is 'grinding'

the deciding factor is 'are they fun to play'? to me, yes. that's why you can play for hours. destiny having a carrot on a stick is a bonus that helps me play it while I quit cod/bf/halo after a week

I have one but haven't used it too much. The latency seemed much worse on PSTV than Vita Remote Play. However, I was recently away and used it for a while and eventually the lag seemed pretty minimal, closer to what I've experienced with the Vita. I should experiment more with it but I haven't.

My PSTV has better connection than the vita as it has a wired connection.

Especially from a distance of different cities.

Yep, this is a common bug. I've had runs where it never happened and runs where it happened twice in a row. Almost seems like you can't be moving at a weird angle or running too fast when you try to grab it, not sure if anything in particular causes it or just random.

I know that picking it up when you have a super activated as a Hunter is a bad idea :p

I think it's that you can get to 30 light without any of the last 3 upgrades.

The raid gear drops from Crota's End start at 27 light, so gear that drops from a level 30 raid will bring you under level 30 when equipped. Luke mentioned that there's a patch for this (no one knows when) that will retroactively correct raid gear to start at 30 light. I assume it'll drop the week before the next expansion pack, House of Wolves.

Thanks. Didn't receive any gear this week, so I was unaware that they set players back that much.
Probably. What's even worse is if you threw 18 shards into the Queen's Gear, you'll get none of them back. There really needs to be a marginal return on Ass Mats.

Either tie that sort of gear as a purchase (like IB) or reduce the frequency of drops by making the RNG skewed towards weapon/emblems/shaders/whatever, even if the latter would piss off a lot of people and the last thing we need is more RNG. But yes, at the very least there needs to be a scaled return on that gear. One AssMat unleveled would be better at this point and doesn't make much of a difference to harm Bungie's progression ideals.

I don't understand how people can play hours and hours and hours of call of duty, battlefield, and halo when they get nothing from it. but playing destiny for hours and hours and hours is 'grinding'

the deciding factor is 'are they fun to play'? to me, yes. that's why you can play for hours. destiny having a carrot on a stick is a bonus that helps me play it while I quit cod/bf/halo after a week

It's PvP vs. PvE. For people that enjoy Crucible, I don't think anyone considers it grinding. But for people who only enjoy PvE and have to repeat the same bounties, missions, and strikes over and over without the variability or unpredictability of PvP.... that's the grind.

I know that picking it up when you have a super activated as a Hunter is a bad idea :p.

Haha good to know! When I run it as a Warlock, I activate the "radiant skin" super for the damage protection buff and it seems to work fine.

phen0m24

The Prestige mechanic is very grindy

R0ckman

About Husk of Pit, has anyone tried to download the demo version play it with a new character and farm for the Husk of Pit and then bring that demo character into the full game, store the gun in the vault, delete the demo and load up the real game to get the gun in the full game?

That
2 sword Crota kill is the exact strat I've been trying to get a few teams to do for a while now. Going down to the middle pulls the Sword Bearer really well, but people have to make sure their rockets don't hit a thrall, etc.

Class doesn't matter for Crota. GHorns aren't necessary. The only thing that matters is taking his shield down with consistent timing.
second takedown per sword requires quick dps which means gholla necessary

Probably coded the same as the damn Queen's Wrath gear that Bungie panicked and locked down. Which is BS.

First time I'm hearing about this. What is it supposed to be?

I mean, you work hard to get the gear/weapons via IB rank and they cost a crap ton of glimmer, the least you could do is get a few energy/shards!

blackjaw

Damn, Uzrok is not a piece of cake. Actually despawned before I killed him! How long does he take to come back to Skywatch?

Dude fuck that guy. Me and a buddy got him to half life three times before more people joined the server and finally took him down. Two hours of waiting/trying. Extremely poor event that can't be accomplished solo or with a moderately equipped fireteam with lots of arc.

JoeTonic

Neo Member

I don't think it's about the amount of grind, but more the ethics of the design decisions Bungie are making.

Like that Polygon article says, by not rewarding players who have levelled up their Exotics you are, in a sense, punishing them for doing so by invalidating the work they put in to obtain those stats.

What I think is more worrying is that there's really no reason that the exotics could have been replaced with the XP still intact (but with additional upgrade slots now added) other than the fact that this would shorten the amount of grind for players. Bungie are deliberately wiping progress from players in an effort to stretch out the longevity of a game that lacks depth and content. Design decisions like that are in-excusable from a developer with the experience of Bungie.

It's PvP vs. PvE. For people that enjoy Crucible, I don't think anyone considers it grinding. But for people who only enjoy PvE and have to repeat the same bounties, missions, and strikes over and over without the variability or unpredictability of PvP.... that's the grind.
uh you're saying they enjoy pve but don't enjoy pve? huh

second takedown per sword requires quick dps which means gholla necessary

GHorns make it waaaay easier, don't get me wrong. But it's not necessary. I've killed him as the sword bearer with no GHs on shield take down duty. You can get a little extra damage from the tower knight teams as long as the knights are clear.

In about 3 hours, anyone ps4 need to do the following:

Heroic Weekly
VoG
CE Boss or fresh

I'm excited to finally see what this boss is about. Hopefully

GHorns make it waaaay easier, don't get me wrong. But it's not necessary. I've killed him as the sword bearer with no GHs on shield take down duty. You can get a little extra damage from the tower knight teams as long as the knights are clear.
this post quote discussion is about killing crota in two swords. please tell me how to take down crota's second shield fast enough for this to be achieved without gholla

CROTA KILL TEAM

Time: 7:30pm EST
PS4

1. Byron Bluth - PSN: Cosmos_Man
2. El Cuco
3. ZombieJesus13

Mindlog you available? Dhruv, Grave and Drizzay you able to help out?
Toasty and Sushi are you able to finish what we started last night?

as fun as the novelty of 4 golden gun shots in PvP was, i think having radar with primary is much more important. considering how often ADS is used in this game, i think it's essential, especially on maps with a lot of corners. i played considerably less aggressive while using the symbiote helmet and i'd prefer not to.

so back to knucklehead radar i go. i like it how it looks anyway.

They are downing Crota just as quick as we were yesterday with only one gjallarhorn and regular launchers/snipers. The swordtrick is what is key in killing him so quickly.
Yeah I did crota with a team of 4 gjallarhorns and I felt we were dpsing him too fast before the swordbearer can reach him. well guess you can say ghorn is a negative influences since it's too OP ;)

Karl2177

Dude fuck that guy. Me and a buddy got him to half life three times before more people joined the server and finally took him down. Two hours of waiting/trying. Extremely poor event that can't be accomplished solo or with a moderately equipped fireteam with lots of arc.

I managed to solo it. I used an Arc Swarm plus Arc Murmur and TDYK. Thunderlord would probably be able to do it also.

zewone

as fun as the novelty of 4 golden gun shots in PvP was, i think having radar with primary is much more important. considering how often ADS is used in this game, i think it's essential, especially on maps with a lot of corners. i played considerably less aggressive while using the symbiote helmet and i'd prefer not to.

Yep. Came to the same conclusion once I got the helmet from an engram a few weeks ago.

ocean

Banned
CROTA KILL TEAM

Time: 7:30pm EST
PS4

1. Byron Bluth - PSN: Cosmos_Man
2. El Cuco
3. ZombieJesus13

Mindlog you available? Dhruv, Grave and Drizzay you able to help out?
Toasty and Sushi are you able to finish what we started last night?
I'm down! Still need it on my 30 Warlock since I had to leave yesterday.

I'll definitely be switching back to Knucklehead when an upgrade is available from my new Arachnid Helm. The Golden Gun zoom is cool, but it's not that useful for CE when most enemies are close. Will likely be delegated for PvP and VoG.
I managed to solo it. I used an Arc Swarm plus Arc Murmur and TDYK. Thunderlord would probably be able to do it also.

I may make a point to drop by Skywatch today with my new Ir Yut machine gun for revenge.

I think he's saying that daily PvE is a grind when compared to daily PvP?
and I'm saying if it's a 'grind' you're implying you're not enjoying it. so how can you enjoy it and complain you're not enjoying it?

I'm trying to say that even if it's a 'grind' the game is enjoyable if you weren't grinding you'd still be playing anyways because the game is enjoyable so why is it considered a grind to be doing the same things you'd be doing anyways?

Top Bottom