• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Namikaze1

I meant compliment her while you watch her play, Nami. LOL Care about her game and not just leveling your gear. wink wink

And yeah dude: Zoba and Fig > all contenders
I can't. She talked so much shit during the week she stayed in my place two weeks ago while I played Dragon Age and Destiny. I just can't compliment her. I can't. She made fun of my Inquisitor, laughed when I died, made sexual jokes regarding both my female Inquisitor and all 3 of my female Guardians, forced me to play The Evil Within on X1 knowing I hate horror games, laughed whenever I scream from said game, and declared she's a better Pokemon Trainer than me. I can't compliment her!

She's a bigger nerd than me. She goes to Boston Anime and NY Comic Con every year, cosplaying as some anime/comic character. Before she took my DS4 and the tv remote, we spent 2 hours watching Guardians of the Galaxy and another hour catching up on One Piece.

Sounds like a keeper.

zewone

Sniper rifles and AR's ruin Destiny PvP IMO, they are both very effective to the point of silly.

Spawning with green ammo in PvP is also a bad thing, you are a walking sniper from the get go on every map.

Shotguns and fusion rifles beat out snipers in terms of being prevalent.

Most maps are designed for easy shotgun or fusion rifle kills. Sniper rifles are the lesser of the 3 evils.

ARs get bullshit kills from distance, but on the whole, they are beat out by a competent user with a hand cannon or scout. ARs are just really easy to use. I don't think they should get precision damage as they are not precision weapons and that would help balance them out.

Omnigul has to be the worst boss in any videogame ever. I just can't even comprehend how they'd consider it DLC worthy. It's everything that's terrible rolled into one. It's even worse with the arc burn, been soloing this heroic it's taken a good 30+ minutes so far of waiting for him to stop blasting everything so I can pop out to take 5 shots or so.

Edit: Great just fucking died, I fucking hate this game.

skip

has anyone found a Shadow Price equivalent in the new weapons, i.e. a legendary alternative to Suros? the new vendor stuff seemed to be high ROF/low impact nonsense like Doc Nope.

well i made my rage post. i'm afraid it's not going to get much exposure though.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG...easons_vehicle_combat_doesnt_work_in_destiny/

"Vehicle combat was a staple of Bungie's Halo games and they largely complimented those games' sandboxes. They've approached Destiny's vehicle combat with a very similar philosophy, but I believe it has fallen short of delivering the same gameplay experience. Many Destiny players will agree that Bastion, First Light and now Skyshock are the weakest PvP maps in the game. The following reasons illustrate why this is the case:

1. Players in Destiny are more powerful than Vehicles.

This is the biggest issue with Destiny's vehicle combat. When Bungie designed Halo, vehicles were considerably stronger than the player. This made them desirable because in order to take out a vehicle, you had to either grab a power weapon off of the map or hop in another vehicle.

This is not true of Destiny. If a vehicle is on the map, I can simply whip out my Sniper rifle and pick off the exposed pilot. Or I can simply glide in the air and Nova Bomb it or pick it off across the map with a Golden Gun. Hell, I had a Titan sparrow his way behind my interceptor and chain right into a Fist of Havok to destroy it (which was admittedly cool). Point is, there are a million ways to kill vehicles off of your spawn, and hopping in one just makes you an easier target.

2. Destiny's vehicles are too fast.

If anyone went back to The Master Chief Collection after playing Destiny for so long, you probably had the same reaction as me when you hopped in a vehicle: Why can't my Mongoose boost? Why is the Ghost boost so slow?.

The Sparrow, Pike and Interceptor are ridiculously fast, so they require a lot of space to drive on. These wide open spaces are seldom traveled by players because of how easy it is to die in the game. So to echo my first point, you have wide spaces players don't want to move around in, and vehicles players don't want to use. This means vehicle maps largely consist of dead space.

3. Players can spawn with Snipers in Destiny.

It's well known that Bastion, First Light and now Skyshock are havens for long-distance sniping, and this compounds the problems above. We have all this dead space that is not being patrolled by vehicles - dead flat space I'll add - and players don't want to get in a vehicle because you die in them so often. So everyone finds a rock and pitches their tent.

When Bungie built vehicle maps in Halo, these weapons were few and located in neutral locations. Now that everyone has them (on top of camo), it limits the player's ability to roam about the maps.

The reason this is such a problem, especially on Skyshock, is because Destiny's maps often do not follow the Principle of Visual Clarity. This is the ability of a player to discern other players from the environment. Because Skyshock's palette is a mix of reds, oranges, yellows, greens, blues and browns, it's difficult to see players at a distance. Bastion and First Light are more monotone, but the glare of the sniper blends in with the former and the latter masks its draw distance with a light haze.

4. Players spawn out in the open.

When is the last time you spawned inside a building on Bastion? Exactly, you spawn out on the edges because they encourage players to use their Sparrow. There are entire caves created specifically for spawning you this way.

What happens when players spawn out in the open with snipers? Spawn Killing, or getting shot in the back after a player spawns behind you.

5. These maps don't have many desirable positions.

Well, Bastion nearly does in that B Room is a hotspot largely sheltered from long-ranged snipers and vehicles while still remaining open, but you're still running into the aforementioned problems. These infantry routes are disconnected from one another to give vehicles the opportunity to intercept players on foot (no pun intended). Why go to these positions though when I can just as easily find a rock, pull out Patience and Time, and watch all the people foolish enough to jump towards these buildings?

There is actually a way for vehicle combat to work in Destiny, but it requires a vastly different approach to the way the maps are built, and maybe even a redesign of the vehicles.

-Vehicle maps need to be visually clear so that players can discern other players at a distance.

-Vehicle maps need desirable positions for infantry so that being on the outskirts of a map is less advantageous than being at a position worth fighting over.

-Vehicle maps also need to take advantage of natural terrain elevation to break up some of the ridiculously flat lines of sight. This terrain elevation will also serve as a desirable position on the map for infantry.

-The spawn hives on the outskirts need connecting paths that allow infantry safe routes back into the action.

-Lastly, these maps shouldn't be so HUGE. Skyshock feels like an expansion to the Old Russia patrol. These maps play very slowly with 12 players and I don't think adding more players (and therefore more snipers) is going to help. Instead of making flat spaces, the paths need to coil and connect more intelligently. Vehicles and Infantry should be weaving around, above and below each other in ways that makes the map size comfortable."
Skyshock matches can't even end via team score, but always end in time up due to the extemely low kill count on that map.

I already hated Bastion allot, I hate Skyshock more.
I don't mind First Light, because the central area can be entertaining and around it. But fuck Bastion and fuck Skyshock.

I rage quite on minute 1 when I get Skyshcok

The Rumble maps are fun though, I like them lol

Would a 28 have trouble with the level 30 final Urn mission?

I hear it rewards 5 motes on heroic :)

has anyone found a Shadow Price equivalent in the new weapons, i.e. a legendary alternative to Suros? the new vendor stuff seemed to be high ROF/low impact nonsense like Doc Nope.
Vanquisher VIII still rocks (New Monarchy)

Sane_Man

If any groups are on the Crota checkpoint and need another player I'd love to join. I've beat it with my 31 titan and warlock and now just need to do it with my 31 hunter. PSN: SaneManPritch.

Does anyone have a gatekeeper CP that I can borrow? I need to do some glimmer farming. Spent it all on Crota again. After that I may just have one last go at killing him.

Anybody get the helmet to drop from the Crotas End, or is it a hard mode only drop again?

I've already leveled Ruin Wings and i'm about halfway through Armamentarium. Debating on leveling The Glasshouse or just waiting til i get a new Helm of Saint-14

If i'm going to need an exotic helm to hit 32, then i'll level Glasshouse. But if I can hold out for a raid helm from normal, then i'd rather wait on Saint-14 since The Glasshouse is just so damn ugly.

The problem is that their solution to making strikes harder isn't to make the game more interesting, it's just to make the bosses have larger health bars while spamming you with ads.

Interesting and varied encounters would help the game feel better, but when it comes to the grind, people prefer to use their time effectively. Lots of people will repeat the same action incessantly if they feel it is the most efficient use of their time. Grindy games encourage this type of behavior. So in the case of a strike playlist, people will bailout if they feel that particular strike takes too long regardless of how fun and interesting it is.

Qwell

Would a 28 have trouble with the level 30 final Urn mission?

I hear it rewards 5 motes on heroic :)

Vanquisher VIII still rocks (New Monarchy)
Its pretty tough, one trick is to jump up onto the curved bone things and kill all the bad guys from there. Make sure to only focus on one wizard at a time and just jump / lift / whatever when they start shooting you. Probably going to take a while to kill them at lvl 28 though. Same thing with the boss, just stay on that curved bone thing, backup and let it block shots if they start shooting, but you will probably die a lot, lots of 1 hit kills I imagine.

Namikaze1

They somehow made it Omnigul. A third friend joined them after fighting the Fallen in the first part. They're lucky she (the third friend) is 31.

No, they all suck. Vanquisher at New Monarchy is the best purchasable AR. Almost as good as Shadow.

Anybody get the helmet to drop from the Crotas End, or is it a hard mode only drop again?

I've already leveled Ruin Wings and i'm about halfway through Armamentarium. Debating on leveling The Glasshouse or just waiting til i get a new Helm of Saint-14

If i'm going to need an exotic helm to hit 32, then i'll level Glasshouse. But if I can hold out for a raid helm from normal, then i'd rather wait on Saint-14 since The Glasshouse is just so damn ugly.

Asked earlier, its NM only with Primary weapons.

Bollocks

Is the Vanquisher VIII a good replacement for the Suros? Looking to use the exotic slot for the Plan C so I need a replacement legendary AR

Namikaze1

A legendary heavy engram just dropped for her from one of the knights during the Omnigul fight. I'm preparing my post if it turns out to be an upgraded Gjallarhorn.

Crota's End - Crota Checkpoint (starting in 30-45min)
1. Ambitious
2. Manp
3. Ryhian
4. ocean

I do, but now I've already got a group. Sorry.

Can I get a party invite or a friend request when you guys are up?

Cause I can't seem to add any of you guys

PSN: Jignxs

Top Bottom