• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

k1t4j

The more I play and the more I read Gaf the more I see that Bungie is just "winging it" hard at this point.

This mindset is so alien and baffling to me. Nothing is 'reset'. It's a progression cycle. You get gear and use that gear to get better gear. When you get the better gear, you can then use that to get even better gear! That's how it works in almost every MMO-style game ever. This is an FPS with MMO-style elements.

You don't want to play a 'shitty MMO'? That's perfectly cool. You don't have to.

Yeah it doesn't quite work that way. The way bungie made it, it doesn't matter if you started playing recently or started playing ages before. Now everyone has the same grind to get the same shitty piece of armour. If this were a real MMO, the guy who's been playing for two months more than is clearly gonna be a lot more powerful. Comparing this to an 'MMO' is disingenuous.

This mindset is so alien and baffling to me. Nothing is 'reset'. It's a progression cycle. You get gear and use that gear to get better gear. When you get the better gear, you can then use that to get even better gear! That's how it works in almost every MMO-style game ever. This is an FPS with MMO-style elements.

You don't want to play a 'shitty MMO'? That's perfectly cool. You don't have to.

and that's why i don't play them, because i don't think that's a good system. players invest time into obtaining these items and leveling them up. you naturally become attached to the way they handle.

and along comes new content that renders all the old stuff obsolete, thereby making you feel like you've wasted time on them. by 'resetting progress' i'm expressly referring to the time spent reaching new levels being voided when it's now obtained 10x as fast and then surpassed. in MMOs, this doesn't happen after 3 months anyway

the reason people want more vault space is because they want to hold onto the progress they've made.

wow, that's horrible. ohhhhh bungle

Yea I was kind of disappointed in getting a second Thunderlord, but someone mentioned in my party I wouldn't have to see Xur to upgrade it. I got pretty excited.....

....Then I checked and it was still vanilla. ;_;

LordofPwn

And get the first chest? Absolutely. It took us an hour to figure it out but I think we can do it in 15-20 minutes with a few wipes.
Surprising. took my group first try, no wipes. I dont see what's so difficult about it.
i think crota's end will be easier than VoG to do flawless.

i haven't seen crota though so maybe he's this raid's jumping puzzle.

lol. maybe when people are lvl 32 and have new weapons and new maxed G-Thang, and have solid strats for all parts but man the last part is the hardest part right now without any great strats.

My thoughts about CE.

I absolutely love it. every part.
The first little maze part in the darkness is wonderful and then when you get to the giant glowing door... breathtaking. and then on the other side when you get transported to the Hive realm it is just jaw droppingly amazing. they really need to bring some of this stuff into strikes or regular missions that require 3 people. The bridge part is great and reminds me of the logic puzzle of transporting people across a river. We managed to get all 6 of us across before killing the Ogres. then finally we run into shriekers.
the only disappointing part is how short the raid is.
10 -15 minutes each to do 1st 2 parts, which can probably be beaten in 5-10 minutes each. 3rd part you have to do in less than 3 minutes, and then boss time. my group couldn't kill him, but we figured out what to do. and you pretty much only have like 8-10 minutes before Enrage
a 30 minute clear without cheese and no 32s may well be possible.
I'm also convinced that there is a faster way to kill Crota. we were only able to get 2 smash hits with the sword before he got his shields back, might be able to get a 3rd in. and i've heard you can take his shields down twice in the amount of time you have the sword but you must have to be hitting him with heavy to get shields down quick enough.
We shall try again soon.

Strider

When I play using the in-game chat I have trouble hearing pretty much anyone. The sound effects and especially music are just way too loud to hear voices over for me. It's why I always go into party chat when I can and use the volume sliders in there to make voices louder. I feel like a jerk asking everyone to go to a party chat though so I don't always request it since it's an extra step most people don't need.

PuMa

Yeah it doesn't quite work that way. The way bungie made it, it doesn't matter if you started playing recently or started playing ages before. Now everyone has the same grind to get the same shitty piece of armour. If this were a real MMO, the guy who's been playing for two months more than is clearly gonna be a lot more powerful. Comparing this to an 'MMO' is disingenuous.

You still start at level 1 if you pick up the game today or picked it up recently. You can't just pick it up and jump into a NF or Raid.

Zakalwe

Banned
Need one more for CE.

No need to be experienced. 30-31. Etc...

Psn: astropoff

Nami said he wanted to join us but I've had no reply and we need to go soon. If you're on Nami jump in now.

zewone

Wait, so you're saying the VoG is still rewarding Vanilla exotics? This has to be an oversight.

People would run VoG for the easy exotics and not do the new raid would probably be Bungie's mindset on not updating it.

Makes VoG pointless. So sad. I loved the VoG.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I don't understand why some people are calling it 'wasted effort'. I call it 'having fun for 3 months'. Maybe some people just aren't used to MMO style progression grinds...

That's just it - I AM used to the MMO style progression grinds. That's what makes this particular move by Bungie so obnoxious. In what other MMO is YOUR ENTIRE SET OF GEAR, EVEN THE BEST GEAR FROM THE HARDEST RAID, completely replaced in under 3 months time? Yes, you can use your level 300 weapons on a lot of the content, but not the end game raid content, at least not if you want to maximize your efficiency. And let's face it, 95% of our playtime in the new DLC will be in the raid. It's just annoying.

I call it "wasted" because most of us wouldn't have spent as many hours doing the raid, farming mats, getting weapon/armor xp, if we knew that it would all be replaced so completely, so soon. Again, love the game, will continue to play, so I'm not just some hater who is complaining from sidelines.

LTWood12

People would run VoG for the easy exotics and not do the new raid would probably be Bungie's mindset on not updating it.

Makes VoG pointless. So sad. I loved the VoG.

There's no easy exotics though. They're still totally random. I have to think they're going to add a higher level option for VoG. That second set of armor in the code can't be there for no reason.

Wallach

When I play using the in-game chat I have trouble hearing pretty much anyone. The sound effects and especially music are just way too loud to hear voices over for me. It's why I always go into party chat when I can and use the volume sliders in there to make voices louder. I feel like a jerk asking everyone to go to a party chat though so I don't always request it since it's an extra step most people don't need.

Me too. The audio balance in general kind of sucks (my kingdom for some fucking basic audio sliders) but the in-game chat is the worst offender.

Ah, thanks. Need rank 3 though. That's annoying - can't get Murmur past 290 or so damage without it.

Yup, I think it's 291 to be exact. Kind of annoying as I'm raiding with the group on Friday. We should all be 31 by that point and want to bring in some big kid weapons. I have a 331 Thorn and the Vex. Wish I could get the Murmur to 331 before then (or at least 300).

My worry now is being a Hunter in the raid. I've been told it might be rough. My main is a defender Titan but he won't be able to hit 31 by Friday due to mark and rep issues. Go figure my alt is getting there first. Shit, my Warlock that I started last week might hit 31 before my Titan.

zewone

it takes less than 24 hours to grind from 1-20. you can do 3 months of grinding in 3 days now.

I bought 4 pieces of vendor gear and went to 31 in a day. Mind blowing.

There's no easy exotics though. They're still totally random. I have to think they're going to add a higher level option for VoG. That second set of armor in the code can't be there for no reason.
Easy chance at exotics would be more accurate. I'm hoping VoG is update with a level 32 mode that drops the other gear and updated exotics/raid weapons.

PuMa

and that's why i don't play them, because i don't think that's a good system. players invest time into obtaining these items and leveling them up. you naturally become attached to the way they handle.

and along comes new content that renders all the old stuff obsolete, thereby making you feel like you've wasted time on them. by 'resetting progress' i'm expressly referring to the time spent reaching new levels being voided when it's now obtained 10x as fast and then surpassed.

the reason people want more vault space is because they want to hold onto the progress they've made.

I guess that's the beauty (or ugly?) of a hybrid-type game, which Destiny is clearly trying to be. It disillusions many people who aren't familiar with certain mechanics such as the RPG loot grind.

For me, I don't see any progress reset, just an opportunity to get better stuff. My valuable items that I've acquired so far are still valuable to me, especially for things like Crucible. Everyone sees things differently of course.

noomi

Anyone giving the new raid another shot tonight, I'll be on for a few hours later in the evening. Only got past the first part, but don't mind starting fresh.

Strider

and along comes new content that renders all the old stuff obsolete, thereby making you feel like you've wasted time on them. by 'resetting progress' i'm expressly referring to the time spent reaching new levels being voided when it's now obtained 10x as fast and then surpassed.

Yea I agree.

At least the trade off for when progress gets reset in MMOs is that your progress/level cap increase usually happens once a year at most. Also, when an expansion is released there is so much new content you never have to or really want to touch the old content again. In Destiny most of the strike playlist, nightfall, etc is the same.

Not an MMO but the other loot based game I play a lot of is Diablo 3. It was almost 2 years after the game launched when Blizzard raised the level cap so the community as a whole embraced the cap increase. They had max level gear for a long long time and enjoyed it for, like I said, almost 2 years. 3 months after launch is too soon.

Are you going ahead without crew? :eek:

Well, I would like to finish it tonight if I can. Why can't we do it tonight? I forget the reason.

as soon as we had to look it up with a guide we voided that contract IMO. crota's eyes have tainted our souls.

we should be proud we got through half blind though

Are you kidding me? Congrats dude, how is it?

I'm not jealous.

So many people got good drops from Nightfall. Just energy and coins :/

that range though

you'd probably miss a horse point blank

That has 0 range?

The range doh. Ew

I told myself I would not cry anymore over these posts

I failed :(

i got 9 strange coins this week....the other 2 guys i was with each got a NEW expansion legendary weapon...

salty...

What are the perks?

While the range is definitely lacking, good lord does it have a sexy sound. UMPH.

Some perks are Final Round, Return to Sender, and Handloaded. Stacking handloaded with field choke ups the range a decent amount, from what I can tell. I'll have to reserve judgement until I've leveled the gun enough.

I can tell you this, it's fun as hell. And it's rate of fire is crazy.

Dirtbag

So can someone break down what the path is to buying and upgrading things now again?

I'm level 29 currently.

This has to be the single most complicated, and silly process I've ever been hooked on. I could seriously slap someone at bungie in the face for htis one.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
So can someone break down what the path is to buying and upgrading things now again?

I'm level 29 currently.

This has to be the single most complicated, and silly process I've ever been hooked on. I could seriously slap someone at bungie in the face for htis one.

What are you confused about? Vendor gear gives you 33 light, as do fully upgraded exotics. That's all better than any gear you had before, so just replace it as you can.

People need to stop complaining about not getting crap from the Crota nightfall/raid. It's the very first one completed and normal mode at that! When you do it 3 weeks in a row and get nothing, then that's a starting point to complain.

LiK

as soon as we had to look it up with a guide we voided that contract IMO. crota's eyes have tainted our souls.

we should be proud we got through half blind though

Wait for me tonight, haha

Math is working.

Oh yea, I can still help again even if I beat it or not. I wanna see the next phase, tbh.

People need to stop complaining about not getting crap from the Crota nightfall/raid. It's the very first one completed and normal mode at that! When you do it 3 weeks in a row and get nothing, then that's a starting point to complain.

Complaining about people complaining. Whatever.

Yea I was kind of disappointed in getting a second Thunderlord, but someone mentioned in my party I wouldn't have to see Xur to upgrade it. I got pretty excited.....

....Then I checked and it was still vanilla. ;_;

I think VoG exotics were left Vanilla because they figure it would become too easy to get multiple exotic rolls per week as players eventually will significantly out level the content. You can still get them but require Xur to make them useful for new endgame content.

Then again, there is the easy solo Crota raid chest that drops exotics. Maybe that was unintentional, but I am not complaining. Got me a Thunderlord 2.0 last night. Please don't patch this Bungie :)

Strider

I'm actually pretty close to hitting the next rank for crucible. So are commendations guaranteed on a rank up? I could play crucible some to get a chest piece and surely Xur will have an upgrade path for at least one of the Hunter helmets come Friday. I can be 31 before the next reset if that happens.

Top Bottom