• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

SoulClap

I can't believe it. I finally got something good from the Nightfall. Hawkmoon! I was praying for Gjallarhorn but this is almost as good.

1Qjb.jpg

Zakalwe

Banned
Phogoth. If you clear ads and leave him alone, the ships won't show up. I noticed that when I did it last weekend. Just shoot him a little bit, but don't kill him before Xyor shows up.

Did they change this recently?

I've run it multiple times pre-exotic patch and we didn't shoot him once. Killing acolytes and knights spawned drop ships, had nothing to do with Phogoth's health.

matmanx1

Well I finished my Incentive bounty and it just seems so useless, I don't see the point of an exotic shotgun. In PvE they aren't any good. In PvP, a shotgun is going to OHK regardless of its rarity.

I use shotguns all the time in PVE. it's my most favorite secondary weapon. 1 hit kills on most anything that isn't a major or an ultra and many of those are 2 hit kills if they aren't shielded. As far as Invective I actually found it to be really useful in the VOG for all of the oracles/templar stuff. Enemies are coming right at you anyway and you may or may not be able to go and scavenge ammo so having a 1H KO shotgun (on anything but a Minotaur, obviously. Those require a sticky grenade first) that regens ammo to be incredibly useful.

I really wish shotguns were more useful in PvE. I can't think of any situation in PvE off hand that wouldn't be better suited to a fusion rifle. Especially when they make enemy melee so damaging.

Fusion rifles have a charge time and don't do precision damage. Shotguns are instant and can actually do HUGE precision damage. At range of course you want the fusion rifle but in close quarters I will almost always take the shotgun. I am really comfortable with them and I find them to be very lethal with my playstyle.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I've run it multiple times pre-exotic patch and we didn't shoot him once. Killing acolytes and knights spawned drop ships, had nothing to do with Phogoth's health.
Yep, they changed it. The dropship waves are tied to certain health thresholds. In the end it doesn't really complicate it that much though.

Boots, Arms, Boots, Hunger of Crota...

I want Helmet and Chest. Maaaaaaybe Black Hammer... not sure yet.

Otherwise, I think if I am a bit lucky next week the Void Handcannon will be the reason for Hard Raid.

You want the Black Hammer. Any somewhat stagnant boss (Archon Priest, Phogoth, Valus, Devil Walkers etc) get wrecked as long as you hit crit shots.

I did the Archon Priest strike yesterday and just crushed him in the face while the other two on my fire team kept me clear of adds. It was hilarious. I hit about 20 sniper rifle shots in a row before he finally dipped into some cover. I strafed, and repeated until he went down.

You want the Black Hammer. Any somewhat stagnant boss (Archon Priest, Phogoth, Valus, Devil Walkers etc) get wrecked as long as you hit crit shots.

I did the Archon Priest strike yesterday and just crushed him in the face while the other two on my fire team kept me clear of adds. It was hilarious. I hit about 20 sniper rifle shots in a row before he finally dipped into some cover. I strafed, and repeated until he went down.

Does he flinch when you headshot him?

Did a third nightfall on the wrong character because my girlfriend kept talking so much I couldn't focus on everything I was doing (multitasking). . fuck.

What's the best way to farm hunter class materials? The worst thing about starting a new alt is in the beginning you are extremely short on class materials to upgrade your armor.
-exclusion zone/dark below/undying mind glimmer farm should drop a lot of engrams
-most suggest vanguard strieks (tiger and now ROC)
-loot chest farming used to be a good method, and might be better/worse now that you can buy materials for marks, there might be more chest spawns going untouched

Me and 3 others (possibly 4, awaiting a reply) are planning on doing a first time Crota's End Raid tonight at around 7PM CT (PS4).

We are trying to keep this group "pure" as in, only players who have not yet attempted the new Raid, and we will be avoiding looking online for any help in progressing in order to preserve figuring things out ourselves (with the exception of finding chests, most likely).

If anyone is interested, please quote this and reply or PM me and we can get you in on the group! Any classes welcome - must be at least level 30.

What's the best way to farm hunter class materials? The worst thing about starting a new alt is in the beginning you are extremely short on class materials to upgrade your armor.

Wait I didn't classes had specific material. . I have 3 hunters, is that why I have 500+ sapphire wire?

Maybe it's mean, but the schadenfreude associated with this cycle:
  • weekly reset
  • grind 3 characters through NF/raid
  • patch drops
  • complain that it would have been nice to know the patch changed something that would have made the 3x grind easier/better/more rewarding
... is sort of delicious. This game has repeatedly and consistently punished this sort of racing to get stuff done. I'm not sure what folks are thinking.

It'd be great if Bungie would do this BEFORE the reset, but the definition of insanity and all that.
they did it 6 days before the reset, pretty much as before the reset as possible~

BreakJohn

just got dragons breath and no land beyond from the first CE raid chest, haven't even touched my nightfalls yet. hope my luck continues though even if it doesn't this is already an amazing start of the week for me.

Yeah I think it was after the exotic patch. Now the third ship only shows up after you've cleared the ads from the first two ships and Phogoth is down to about 25% health.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you're also looking for a bit of XP, rep, and a good source of marks, doing Roc strikes and popping the appropriate glimmer consumable beforehand really goes a long way. Black Wax for Phogoth, Ether Seeds for Sepiks, Blue Polyphage for Undying Mind, Resupply Codes for Valus, etc.

On a related note, I feel like I'm enjoying the Roc strike playlist considerably more than I used to with Tigers. I can't really put my finger on why, but I've had some good runs blazing through them the past couple days

Deku Tree

-exclusion zone/dark below/undying mind glimmer farm should drop a lot of engrams
-loot chest farming used to be a good method, and might be better/worse now that you can buy materials for marks, there might be more chest spawns going untouched

Thanks! Do you have an opinion about which is better? Seems like vanguard strikes are OK but if all you want is materials it's kind of slow.

Wait I didn't classes had specific material. . I have 3 hunters, is that why I have 500+ sapphire wire?

Yes exactly

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks! Do you have an opinion about which is better? Seems like vanguard strikes are OK but if all you want is materials it's kind of slow.
Roc Strikes on your highest level/best equipped, then giving the engrams to the alt, is by far the best bet for just class materials.

Deku Tree

If you're also looking for a bit of XP, rep, and a good source of marks, doing Roc strikes and popping the appropriate glimmer consumable beforehand really goes a long way. Black Wax for Phogoth, Ether Seeds for Sepiks, Blue Polyphage for Undying Mind, Resupply Codes for Valus, etc.

On a related note, I feel like I'm enjoying the Roc strike playlist considerably more than I used to with Tigers. I can't really put my finger on why, but I've had some good runs blazing through them the past couple days

I was still noticing a lot of quitters and afkers in the ROc strikes. It's fine if your 28+ but when your 26 and everyone quits if it's not "the nexus" it can be a slog/grind. Good thing My new Hunter is a 28 now. Just needs exp and class mats to go to 31.

Roc Strikes on your highest level/best equipped, then giving the engrams to the alt, is by far the best bet for just class materials.
Thanks! Since they match you with people of the same level yes it goes much faster when you are higher levels.

Multiple headshots to him will make him flinch like crazy. I'm certain he can be stunlocked with that thing and maybe a little supporting fire.

He can be stunlocked with no supporting fire. In fact, supporting fire makes it more difficult as his flinch becomes less predictable. He kind of "flinches" in the direction of the bullet.

Just get straight in front of him and unload until he's dead. Your supporting cast should ONLY focus on the adds.

Coconut

Banned

I feel the same way and I think it's because those people running in those strikes are in it to win it, no donking around by the other guardians I've ran with.

Izuna

Banned

I don't really think so, element matters most when there is a burn, so must enemies die in a single shot or two (where a handcannon with fast reloads does the same thing), or have shields. I saw videos of it on Devil Walker etc. but these are enemies and rooms where you can fight something without needing to move.

I have a 331 Legendary Sniper Solar atm and I'm wondering if I should bother with it.

Phogoth doesn't stay in one place and the best way to fight him is to stay outside of the room, where you can't really get the shots anyway.

Archon Priest sure, but I would never play it unless it is a Nightfall. The second it has Angry where they don't flinch there is no use of it. Even without Angry, we are assuming Solar Burn, where he can pretty much one shot or two shot you, and as you mentioned, your friends would have to take care of the other enemies, which isn't realistic on a Nightfall and personally I prefer solo.

Strike bosses aside, which with a burn are pretty simple to take out anyway, it's extremely situational and in fact worse on the kinds of enemies I would switch to a solar element for anyway (shielded) since it's ammo count is just 3 and has a small RoF.

I wouldn't shard it, but I think it would be the last thing I upgrade and hardly use it unless there is a very specific non Angry Solar Burn Nightfall not on Mars, Moon, or Venus...

2. My titan didn't get any armour last week and got 2 pieces this week, my Hunter got 1 piece last week and 1 this week, Warlock got 1 last week and 1 this week, seems to even out the loot rolls for armour pretty well32.
Warlock: Done both 100% - 0 armor last week, 2 this week
Hunter: 3/3 and 2/3 - 0 armor last week, 2 this week
Titan: 3/3 and 2/3 - 0 armor last week, 1 this week

which OBVIOUSLY means my titan will get a helm from Crota~

OBVIOUSLY.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
He can be stunlocked with no supporting fire. In fact, supporting fire makes it more difficult as his flinch becomes less predictable. He kind of "flinches" in the direction of the bullet.

Just get straight in front of him and unload until he's dead. Your supporting cast should ONLY focus on the adds.
wow. that's nuts.

I don't really think so, element matters most when there is a burn, so must enemies die in a single shot or two (where a handcannon with fast reloads does the same thing), or have shields. I saw videos of it on Devil Walker etc. but these are enemies and rooms where you can fight something without needing to move.

I have a 331 Legendary Sniper Solar atm and I'm wondering if I should bother with it.

Phogoth doesn't stay in one place and the best way to fight him is to stay outside of the room, where you can't really get the shots anyway.

Archon Priest sure, but I would never play it unless it is a Nightfall. The second it has Angry where they don't flinch there is no use of it. Even without Angry, we are assuming Solar Burn, where he can pretty much one shot or two shot you, and as you mentioned, your friends would have to take care of the other enemies, which isn't realistic on a Nightfall and personally I prefer solo.

Strike bosses aside, which with a burn are pretty simple to take out anyway, it's extremely situational and in fact worse on the kinds of enemies I would switch to a solar element for anyway (shielded) since it's ammo count is just 3 and has a small RoF.

I wouldn't shard it, but I think it would be the last thing I upgrade and hardly use it unless there is a very specific non Angry Solar Burn Nightfall not on Mars, Moon, or Venus...

Fair enough. I don't think it's as situational as you're making it out to be but I see your point. I'm certainly not telling anyone to shard their Icebreaker or anything but it's a fun weapon in the right situation. Like, really fun.

Top Bottom