• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Did the full raid in 30-22 minutes in 3 runs yesterday. Bring on hard mode.

Even though my newbie Raid team took 2 hours to get to Crota and another hour of fruitless attempts at Crota, I can see how this Raid would just be blown through in an experienced group. It felt very short.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Have people been able to do the Crota cheese on PS4?

It works, but really, it takes longer than the normal way, and the normal way isn't that hard as long as you have a team on the same page (okay, maybe that's the hard part :p).

bucyou55

Banned
That would be awesome, my own army of well-trained and murderous children! Just like I always wanted :D

edit: Yep, weekly noob VoG runs are still on. weekly activities post incoming with some info about how this will work going forward

I'd like to help with a VOG noob run as well,

lvl 30 titan

Atkison04

I hope so too! If so, it'll be a priority to level back up. I believe 331 Attack is a 15% damage increase over 300, which is substantial given the damage for Gjallarhorn.

Yeah, it is during the raid where I needed to use synths. Last night I had Ruin Wings on during the final boss and because of the nature of the fight and our strategy, we're not really killing adds that much, at least not me, so it was harder to replenish the heavy. That is the only time in the raid where I needed to use synths to replenish.

An extra 15% would be nice. Last night doing the nightfalls with G-horn was the first time I felt like it needed a bit more power. I thought it usually melted the wave 3 witches but I was having to shoot a lot of rockets to knock them out (top of stairs shooting down). Maybe that's just a product of nightfalls/heroics being level 30 now.

I'm itching to do the new raid, but I wanted 3 level 31's before I even attempt it. I know it's probably foolish to grind for all that vanguard gear but I enjoy the grind and having little mini goals keeps me going. I'm loving those Ruin Wings above and beyond all the other exotics I have for any other class right now.

Deku Tree

Saw it happen twice last night (got loot for 1 of them; the other I witnessed it via party chat).

Both times it happened it succeeded pretty much on the first try (one was on the second bc the group didn't down him on the 1st).

Both occasions, we proceeded to bring in alts to do it again, and it didn't work. For hours :/

Weird. Any idea why it wouldn't work the second time? Was the same person doing the disconnect. Seems faster to just beat him legit.

It works, but really, it takes longer than the normal way, and the normal way isn't that hard as long as you have a team on the same page (okay, maybe that's the hard part :p).

Yes if everyone knows what to do and is in sync then the fight should not take too long.

It was Gauntlet week for me on Nightfalls. I got the Young Ahamkara's Spine, Sunbreakers, and Ruin Wings. Thankfully I didn't buy the wings, and the two others I had vanilla versions of, so I saved on the upgrade. I'm happy.

Zakalwe

Banned
I get that, but I don't know what people expect to happen. Vent about NF RNG all you want, but if it pisses you off so much that you demand a long list of changes and don't get them, then quit the game.

I'm using "you" as the general pronoun, btw...!

It's hard to quit an addiction, and this game preys on addictive personalities. There's very little actual content here, what we really have is a few sets of one armed bandit fruit machine style pulls and a highly polished gameplay hook linking them all together.

Then we have one of the best co-op experiences in a fps wih the VoG and to a lesser extent CE, and pvp that is basically Marmite.

I find it very hard to understand how anyone couldn't completely understand why there's so much bitching.

commish

An extra 15% would be nice. Last night doing the nightfalls with G-horn was the first time I felt like it needed a bit more power. I thought it usually melted the wave 3 witches but I was having to shoot a lot of rockets to knock them out (top of stairs shooting down). Maybe that's just a product of nightfalls/heroics being level 30 now.

I'm itching to do the new raid, but I wanted 3 level 31's before I even attempt it. I know it's probably foolish to grind for all that vanguard gear but I enjoy the grind and having little mini goals keeps me going. I'm loving those Ruin Wings above and beyond all the other exotics I have for any other class right now.

You don't have to be 31 to do the new raid. 30 is more than fine, provided you have other 31s there (and you will, lots of 31s now). Honestly you are just wasting drops by not going in. At the very least, get the free chest at the beginning of the raid. Don't even have to fire your gun.

LordofPwn

The disconnect cheese? Let's not encourage it.

I'd like to try the cheese, just to test out combos and damage on crota, and to practice using the sword.

Normal way is easy. just need heavy ammo, and to not be tired.

X-Frame

Did the full raid in 30-22 minutes in 3 runs yesterday. Bring on hard mode.

Damn, imagine when there are mostly 32's in the group. Though it is Normal mode, so it should be "easy" when most are not under-leveled.

Do you still use the same Crota strategy we did with Dhruv last weekend?

Damn, imagine when there are mostly 32's in the group. Though it is Normal mode, so it should be "easy" when most are not under-leveled.

Do you still use the same Crota strategy we did with Dhruv last weekend?

Would love to see the speedrun WR with a full team of 32's. Probably we will see a video in the next week or so.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not really sure what you're getting at here Hawk, you think we shouldn't voice concerns and criticisms?
Haha! That telltale diction- these aren't all synonyms ;)

Criticisms- if constructive, these should essentially be welcomed in any venue at any time. It doesn't even matter if I agree or disagree with any given point- constructive criticism is valuable, not least of all because it can inspire actual change.

Concerns- we start to veer off the path a little here... though concerns can be valid, I suppose, what I seem to see a lot of are plaintive worries that "if Bungie keeps doing x, everyone will stop playing"; "this is going to drive players away in droves"; "Bungie has no idea what they're doing and they need to get their act together;" or the omnipresent threat-to-quit-the-game, as though this would be some sort of major or profound decision for any individual in this thread to make. These claims kinda make me laugh my head off. I try to do my best to keep my mouth shut about it, but in large part I see a lot of commentary that attempts to characterize the state of the game as a whole without taking every piece of the puzzle into account and it tends to miss the mark a bit from my perspective. I feel like at Bungie HQ they must keep a scrolling feed of comments about how Bungie is screwing the pooch next to a real-time counter of total playtime hours and a table full of gigantic stacks of cash. In almost every case, it's a better idea to concern yourself only with your personal enjoyment or experience rather than "what's going to happen with the game."

Complaints- what I was getting at aren't really either of the above. It's just complaining for the sake of complaining. one is annoyed by something and decides to voice that annoyance to anyone who will listen. I imagine this to be what Deku Tree was talking about. Come on- it's whining, you know it when you see it. There's no particular value other than possible catharsis for the person complaining. I understand that this catharsis is real and valid for some. My comment was just expressing that for me, it doesn't work. It tangibly does not improve my personal experience to complain about something while experiencing it. Furthermore listening to others do so while in the moment-to-moment act of enjoying something can get exhausting. I'm not saying the people for whom it does enhance the experience are wrong, I just can't relate to them. I don't expect either style to accommodate the other, I was just describing mine.

Did you think the thread title was just totally out of left field?

Congrats! I'm rather excited about replaying that fist of crota mission over and over until I get it this evening. Not even a lie. At least I can knock out bounties with my alts while I'm farming for it.

thanks man. The only thing that sucks is leveling up Eris now, she's only at level 2. I won't be able to upgrade the gun until about Saturday

Deku Tree

*shrug*

It doesn't make the experience more enjoyable to me to complain about it while experiencing it. YMMV dramatically.

I agree. Complaints are important but constantly complaining during gameplay sessions drags down the fun factor which is the only reason to play anyway.

spyder_ur

30 is more than fine - just go for it. The only thing I felt was much easier as a 31 was surviving at the end, in particular holding up to the knights in the tower and to a lesser extent killing adds. And at this point you will probably see more 31s in your group so those problems are alleviated.

Korosenai

Our group did the death singer and Crota fight in one go last night, so that was pretty satisfying. Deathsinger is easy peasy if you lay down a strat and everyone listens to it.

spyder_ur

Is it bad that Eris rep is not past 1 on any of my characters? I'm really having a hard time getting myself to start that rep grind - I just hate it, my least favorite part of the game. Is there any real reason to do it on more than 1 character? Seems like I could use one character to get the items, transfer energies to shards, etc.

Skele7on

Banned
My only complaint really about the game isn't the game.

It's the players, so last night we were doing our third raid run through and this random guy joins our party,
we're at the bridge and doing it five man as we could.
He then chimes in, OHHH I can do this in 5 seconds, like the cheese tactic.

To which we say, oh cool, and carry on.
Why do people deem it's alright to use a glitch to gain an unfair advantage on things.
The same happened in Halo matchmaking with the boosting and host booting.
Glitching and cheating sure as hell used to get you banned in WoW and Halo, but it's deemed acceptable in Destiny? WHY?

I play Destiny because I enjoy the challenge, I do not however enjoy just cheating everything as you may have great gear, but you're sure as hell going to be a terrible team mate once these glitches get patched.

As for the Crota cheeses, have fun with em whilst you can, but personally the rush I got after learning to use the sword and killing him, is a greater feeling than getting any exotic INCLUDING THE BALLERHORN can ever give me.

Deku Tree

Is it bad that Eris rep is not past 1 on any of my characters? I'm really having a hard time getting myself to start that rep grind - I just hate it, my least favorite part of the game. Is there any real reason to do it on more than 1 character? Seems like I could use one character to get the items, transfer energies to shards, etc.

I would only do the eris rep grind on one character if I were you. Then maybe you'd be closer to rank 2 on that character if you didn't do it on the other ones.

The thing that bothers me is I need to do her original quests on all of my characters in order to unlock several missions including todays daily.

commish

It's the players, so last night we were doing our third raid run through and this random guy joins our party,

Why do people deem it's alright to use a glitch to gain an unfair advantage on things.
Glitching and cheating sure as hell used to get you banned in WoW and Halo, but it's deemed acceptable in Destiny? WHY?

I play Destiny because I enjoy the challenge, I do not however enjoy just cheating everything as you may have great gear, but you're sure as hell going to be a terrible team mate once these glitches get patched.

As for the Crota cheeses, have fun with em whilst you can, but personally the rush I got after learning to use the sword and killing him, is a greater feeling than getting any exotic INCLUDING THE BALLERHORN can ever give me.

Why do you care how someone else wants to play the game, though? If someone else wants to cheese their way through every encounter, it's no skin off my back. And honestly, if my raid team is sucking and banging their head against Crota for 4 hours, I'd have preferred that someone just cheesed him so I can move on with my life. I've already downed him multiple times without, so it's not like I get additional satisfaction from it anymore. I would get immense satisfaction at getting those 4 hours back tho :p

I would like to try the the cheese just to see if my underlevelled alt would get anything....

Why would someone be in the raid and not get loot? Of course you'd get loot, assuming you can log in.

Sullichin

Me neither. I think this grind is ridiculous for the rewards. Do you get a reward package at/after rank 3 like the factions?

I guess the line of thinking is that it doesn't detract from you, like cheating in competitive MP, so why not?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not one for senseless catharsis, but I'm well aware of the flaws this game has that could cause the need to vent.

*shrugs*
This is a fantastic sentence- almost perfectly capturing the cognitive dissonance that is Destiny. It could almost be rephrased, "I'm not one for senseless catharsis, but this game calls for senseless catharsis!" :p
It's hard to quit an addiction, and this game preys on addictive personalities.
I think this is venturing into another concern altogether.

When I describe the game as "addictive," I'm ultimately being metaphorical. It employs a ridiculously fun core gameplay hook that makes undertaking extremely repetitive actions bearable, and marries this to a semi-traditional vertical gear treadmill that rewards return visits; the conceptual side of what you're doing holds little to identify in the way of fun, as it shows the language we choose to describe it ("grind," "work," "punishment"), but the experiential process- jumping around, shooting aliens in the face, doing barrel rolls on a speeder, beating someone to the heavy ammo spawn- very nearly ALWAYS is. It's consistently fun to just sit down and play even after hundreds of hours; as a result, I want to keep going until it isn't anymore. This isn't something you can pull off just taking shots in the dark, as the consensus view of Bungie would indicate.

But in terms of legitimate psychological addiction, any entertainment product with variable ratio positive reinforcement, longitudinal progression, comparative avatar strength, an open-ended goal structure, etc. can be a dangerous thing. People prone to psychological addiction should stay far, far away from Destiny to be sure (though at least it won't silently lead to half a paycheck disappearing for "doughnuts"). But to say that it preys on these individuals is ascribing agency to an inanimate entity. It's a game; you have to play it.
There's very little actual content here
I think this criticism in a vacuum is very interesting, and I don't honestly know what we're comparing it to when we make this claim. While saying that Destiny needs more content is a statement I'd agree with wholeheartedly, saying that there's "very little actual content" makes me wonder what similar game with a dissimilar amount of content I should be looking to as an example. Sometimes I wonder what similar game I'm supposed to look to at all.
what we really have is a few sets of one armed bandit fruit machine style pulls and a highly polished gameplay hook linking them all together.
Now that is completely accurate.
I find it very hard to understand how anyone couldn't completely understand why there's so much bitching.
Ah, see there we get to the crux of it. I very much doubt there's anyone who can't understand why there's so much bitching. That part is easy. All I was commenting on was the fact that it doesn't make things more fun, for me. It clearly does for others, and so that's just the way it goes.

Top Bottom