• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Why do you care how someone else wants to play the game, though? If someone else wants to cheese their way through every encounter, it's no skin off my back. And honestly, if my raid team is sucking and banging their head against Crota for 4 hours, I'd have preferred that someone just cheesed him so I can move on with my life. I've already downed him multiple times without, so it's not like I get additional satisfaction from it anymore. I would get immense satisfaction at getting those 4 hours back tho :p

Why would someone be in the raid and not get loot? Of course you'd get loot, assuming you can log in.

She's 27 lol, so she can log in but she'll probably just see ?? above everyone's heads haha. I might try this later on if a bunch of people are up for it.

Cheese wise, it is completely unnecessary as it can be done legit easier than Atheon. But then again, if I want another shot at RNG which screws me over by ONLY giving me two shards on Crota (twice), I say fuck it.

depward

Guardians: need a little bit of guidance here.

Just turned level 26. Rank 2 crucible, rank 1 vanguard. Have two pieces of crucible gear (boots and chest).

What do I do now to effectively progress? Working towards new gauntlets but then? Vault of Glass maybe?

Just kind of feel like I'm spinning my wheels but know Destiny is really kind of about this (the grind!). Just want to effectively grind, ya know.

kidko

...snip...
As for the Crota cheeses, have fun with em whilst you can, but personally the rush I got after learning to use the sword and killing him, is a greater feeling than getting any exotic INCLUDING THE BALLERHORN can ever give me.

Word. There needs to be an attitude shift toward looking down on this exploit crap.

I got one with return to sender, it's nice but the range is pretty lacking.

Awesome. Did you get it from a rank up package? It's no Hawkmoon, but as a legendary, it's the closest thing I've had for times I need to use a different exotic.

I'm usually in and playing during reset, if the bounties differ from the previous day they show up at Eris. I do those and hand them in and later, when I come back to Destiny, they are there again along with any that were also there the previous day. so 2 or 3 can be done twice. Great if those are the ones worth 100. Also having done nightfall gives the usual 25% boost I believe (I was expecting to level Eris tomorrow after totalling the bounty values but just crept over the line to rank 3).
How does that trick work? You log in when the reset hits, pick up the new bounties. Complete them and when you turn them in later on during the day, they're there again?

Zakalwe

Banned
My only complaint really about the game isn't the game.

It's the players, so last night we were doing our third raid run through and this random guy joins our party,
we're at the bridge and doing it five man as we could.
He then chimes in, OHHH I can do this in 5 seconds, like the cheese tactic.

To which we say, oh cool, and carry on.
Why do people deem it's alright to use a glitch to gain an unfair advantage on things.
The same happened in Halo matchmaking with the boosting and host booting.

I play Destiny because I enjoy the challenge, I do not however enjoy just cheating everything as you may have great gear, but you're sure as hell going to be a terrible team mate once these glitches get patched.

As for the Crota cheeses, have fun with em whilst you can, but personally the rush I got after learning to use the sword and killing him, is a greater feeling than getting any exotic INCLUDING THE BALLERHORN can ever give me.

I can understand the want to cheese to an extent too, we have to repeat the same content over and over for dice rolls. When we get enough experience the challenge is meaningless and all that's left is grind and luck.

My blind run at launch was incredible. So much fun. Our group were having a blast working out each section and shooting the shit. Destiny shone very brightly that day.

Now, just one week later, the raid already feels a bit stale. With all the strats known it's incredibly easy and far too short. It's just not as well constructed as VoG, it doesn't have the same atmosphere or sense or progression and adventure (to me at least).

If someone offered me a way to roll the dice three times without having to run the content, I'd probably take it, I just don't enjoy the half hour I takes to run now, It's not a challenge and it's not that. I'd rather be playing crucible.

I run VoG because I need Fatebringer still /and/ I enjoy it, but I also understand why people might want to cut back on the grind a little.

I'm hoping the hard mode of CE does something to alleviate this concern.

Of course, some people are just lazy and will always try to cheese. I know a group who've given up entirely on Templar now you can't push him off, all they do now is snag Gorgan check points.

Are you supposed to get rewards every time you do the Dark Below Missions? I just did the Seige of Warmind mission again and got a legendary and engram plus an ascedant energy

It's hard to quit an addiction, and this game preys on addictive personalities. There's very little actual content here, what we really have is a few sets of one armed bandit fruit machine style pulls and a highly polished gameplay hook linking them all together.

Then we have one of the best co-op experiences in a fps wih the VoG and to a lesser extent CE, and pvp that is basically Marmite.

I find it very hard to understand how anyone couldn't completely understand why there's so much bitching.

I understand why people would want to bitch, my issue is why they keep doing it however many months after release.

I'm usually in and playing during reset, if the bounties differ from the previous day they show up at Eris. I do those and hand them in and later, when I come back to Destiny, they are there again along with any that were also there the previous day. so 2 or 3 can be done twice. Great if those are the ones worth 100. Also having done nightfall gives the usual 25% boost I believe (I was expecting to level Eris tomorrow after totalling the bounty values but just crept over the line to rank 3).

I was levelling Eris with all characters until it struck me that I was being daft, as once the basic Eris stuff is done, a Warlock can buy a Titan alt gear, so I'm still doing them multiple times but with exp gain.

BTW, I know the Dr Nope/Atheon's Epilogue style ARs are generally seen as being useless for crucible, but I just gave a barely levelled Eidolon Ally a go in IB and it wasn't entirely useless even in my PvP piss-poor hands. It's got more than 2x AE's impact, not sure how much of a factor impact is in IB.

Put a conversation from this morning it into sobering perspective... we discussed what possible xmas special items there might be on the 25th... there might be a problem here.

Thanks! I had no idea this was a thing. Guess I won't be among the first to reach level 3 after all :)

Looking forward to unlocking the next level with this new toy.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I get a blue chest engram, which is the last piece I don't have light on my hunter. Rahool gives me a mote of light....bastard.

Sullichin

Speaking of cheese, who does the nightfalls totally legitimately?

My friends and I cheesed the fuck out of Phogoth after wiping to the wizard wave three times. Doing it legitimately, without staying by the entrance of the wave room/luring the wizards, hiding behind the rock or by the shrieker is ridiculous. I'd like to see it done.

Just went on YouTube to check that out and I literally can't find a single video of someone/a team doing it without conceding to hiding in a safe spot.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Glitching and cheating sure as hell used to get you banned in WoW and Halo, but it's deemed acceptable in Destiny? WHY?
Well, these is a difference between gaining a direct competitive advantage over other players through unintended means, and cooperatively exploiting such an advantage over a game's systems.

I don't personally get down with either one, but there's a legit difference in scale and priority.
I play Destiny because I enjoy the challenge, I do not however enjoy just cheating everything as you may have great gear, but you're sure as hell going to be a terrible team mate once these glitches get patched.

Heh, sometimes I wonder if I am the only one in here to have never cheesed Atheon. I'll stand on this ledge by myself if I have to!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I understand why people would want to bitch, my issue is why they keep doing it however many months after release.

I can agree with this. Some people complain so much, it's a wonder why they even continue to play the game if they find it so offensive.

Word. There needs to be an attitude shift toward looking down on this exploit crap.

Awesome. Did you get it from a rank up package? It's no Hawkmoon, but as a legendary, it's the closest thing I've had for times I need to use a different exotic.

Yea, got it last week and only now starting to mess with it. Got it from either a vanguard level up or cryptarch level (I haven't ground new monarchy rep in a long time.)

My friends and I cheesed the fuck out of Phogoth after wiping to the wizard wave three times. Doing it legitimately, without staying by the entrance of the wave room, hiding behind the rock or by the shrieker is ridiculous. I'd like to see it done.

Just went on YouTube to check that out and I literally can't find a single video of someone/a team doing it without conceding to hiding in a safe spot.

What is even the definition of cheese anymore? What is described above I would call strategic positioning. There's nothing wrong with that and it can be construed as conservative playing.

Pushing the templar off a cliff on the other hand is a clear violation of the intended mechanics is something I would call a cheese

commish

My friends and I cheesed the fuck out of Phogoth after wiping to the wizard wave three times. Doing it legitimately, without staying by the entrance of the wave room/luring the wizards, hiding behind the rock or by the shrieker is ridiculous. I'd like to see it done.

I don't really see these things as cheese, per se. Knocking Atheon off the ledge? Bugging out Crota so he is always vulnerable? That's the type of cheese/exploits that are the problem.

What to do with all of these commendations I'm acquiring? I don't even understand why Bungie put them in.

They seem completely redundant. You don't need them for guantlets or boots, and you can fill a helm or chest slot with a Xur exotic so you really only need the commendation for a single piece of gear to get to level 31 and by the time you acquire the marks/coins for that many pieces you will have Commendations out the ying-yang. They don't really serve the purpose of a time/activity gate, they are pointless.

Man, I have spent way too much time in this first dlc mission trying to get the husk. I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

I spawn in and sparrow down to the first set of mobs doing the ritual. Kill the sword dude and go to orbit if nothing is added to inventory. There's no need to pick up the relic or kill anything else, right?

Dave_6

Man, I have spent way too much time in this first dlc mission trying to get the husk. I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

I spawn in and sparrow down to the first set of mobs doing the ritual. Kill the sword dude and go to orbit if nothing is added to inventory. There's no need to pick up the relic or kill anything else, right?

You're doing it right. It's just your RNG luck in this game is about like mine lol.

I can agree with this. Some people complain so much, it's a wonder why they even continue to play the game if they find it so offensive.

Yes, exactly. I completely understand being annoyed with the game, but if you're so annoyed with it that all your post about is how much you hate it, I have a pretty simple solution for you...

Atkison04

You don't have to be 31 to do the new raid. 30 is more than fine, provided you have other 31s there (and you will, lots of 31s now). Honestly you are just wasting drops by not going in. At the very least, get the free chest at the beginning of the raid. Don't even have to fire your gun.

30 is more than fine - just go for it. The only thing I felt was much easier as a 31 was surviving at the end, in particular holding up to the knights in the tower and to a lesser extent killing adds. And at this point you will probably see more 31s in your group so those problems are alleviated.

Thanks guys! I know i don't have to be level 31 first, it's just part of my stupid destiny goal driven checklist of stuff that i wanted to do first. I've been focusing on the eris bounties (not even rank 2 on anyone),the weekly stuff and obtaining the new vanguard gear.

I did the same thing with VoG. I didn't jump into that for weeks because i wanted all my stuff leveled up and i wanted all my dudes to be 29 first. I also like being aware of the fights and stats so that I'm not a liability.

I have been getting the first chest on all 3 alts the last 2 weeks, so at least i have some shards waiting in the vault. I'll jump in the raid next week when I'll get a lot more free time with holiday off at work.

Bizazedo

I hope so too! If so, it'll be a priority to level back up. I believe 331 Attack is a 15% damage increase over 300, which is substantial given the damage for Gjallarhorn.
It's so dumb, isn't it? At this point, what will replace the Gjallahorn?

Downed Crota last night. I must say, I am really underwhelmed with the new raid. The Crota fight is the only thing that is fun about it. The rest seems to be just running and jumping over enemies. VoG had a few challenging and fun encounters, CE seems slapped together and I cannot imagine it will hold my interest more than a few more clears. I guess I will end up picking up Warlords of Draenor to fill my raiding needs.

I think the bridge and thrall parts are a blast when done legit. The cheese method for the Bridge, though....yay, more sniping, we don't even need to cross the f'ng bridge?...ugh.

HOWEVER....

The disconnect cheese? Let's not encourage it.

Crota cheese is fucking awesome hahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahaa

I'm usually firmly against cheese. The fights are a lot of fun if done legit. As I mentioned above, I love the bridge legit.

That being said, with what Bungie has done to reset progress / slow us down / design choices, this is the first game ever where I don't care. Cheese, cheese it all. I view it as a small way of, besides quitting the game, rejecting their design choices.

So, yeah, normally? I hate cheesing the fights, but I just can't summon the will to protest in Destiny's favor.

I would pay money to see Bungie devs do a Nightfall "The Way It's Meant To Be Done" every week. Live, not pre-recorded.

Sullichin

I don't really see these things as cheese, per se. Knocking Atheon off the ledge? Bugging out Crota so he is always vulnerable? That's the type of cheese/exploits that are the problem.

What is even the definition of cheese anymore? What is described above I would call strategic positioning. There's nothing wrong with that and it can be construed as conservative playing.

Pushing the templar off a cliff on the other hand is a clear violation of the intended mechanics is something I would call a cheese

Yeah, it's not as cheesy as that. I still find nightfalls challenging when I go in the safe spots and I'm still at risk of dying. But at the same time, shooting a boss from behind his entrance or cowering behind the one rock that people have deemed to be a safe spot is lame. Like, I wonder how they intended people to actually beat these things.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

My friends and I cheesed the fuck out of Phogoth after wiping to the wizard wave three times. Doing it legitimately, without staying by the entrance of the wave room, hiding behind the rock or by the shrieker is ridiculous. I'd like to see it done.

I do as many Nightfalls legitimately just for the challenge as possible, though it's not easy to find people to try. This one in particular, if we're going to go to the point of saying that using the left corner rock (not jumping behind the rock wall, just using the boulder as cover) is cheese, would be pretty damn impressive to do "legitimately". I don't think that rock is so cheesy though; it's just holding a defensible point; though an argument could be made that it's cheese since you don't trigger the wizards from there. Regardless, everything but the boss is shooting Arc at you and a couple stray Knight shots and you're wiped, so it's a real challenge any way besides the shrieker room/sniping from before it.

But that's the thing with Nightfalls. The Nightfall modifier is so brutal and restrictive, it almost invites you to find a way to cheese it. It's not like the weekly heroic or raid where you get a checkpoint and just give it another shot in seconds if you wipe. You need to do whatever you can do make it through the encounter intact. It's almost daring you: "break me."

nowai

2 weeks in a row now Nightfall has given me an exotic I did not have. Last week it was Patience and Time and this week it was An Insurmountable Skullfort.

The Skullfort looks great but I don't think the perks on it are terribly useful. I'm not complaining but with Saint-14 and Ruin Wings on tap I don't see the Skullfort getting that much time in use.

I highly enjoy the Skullfort for PvP.

Inmost light is also pretty great, buuut I'm not the best at aiming Falcon Punch, so I prefer spawning with melee energy and the free Transfusion perk.

KingV

I played some Iron Banner last night and it was the most fun I have had playing Crucible yet. I'm not great at crucible and was expecting a shit show playing with randoms, but they were the most competitive matches yet. My struggle Plan C is still strong enough toto wipe a 30 in one blast at level 27, and people tend to group up a lot more, so striker titan super is glorious.

I'm in for more tonight. I really want that 66 round magazine gun.

Atkison04

thanks man. The only thing that sucks is leveling up Eris now, she's only at level 2. I won't be able to upgrade the gun until about Saturday

Tell me about it! I'm still a good day away from getting her to rank 2 with all my alts.

Speaking of eris and alts, has anyone heard anything about certain bounties that unlock at certain levels (similar to urn bounty)? The only reason I'm grinding with all 3 of my alts is that i expect more bounties like the urn to show up that give more gear/weapons.

commish

It's so dumb, isn't it? At this point, what will replace the Gjallahorn?

Nothing, really. Some people are using the raid rocket launcher as a "baby ballerhorn" so they can use IB as their exotic. For most content, that's probably fine. Without wolfpack rounds that have tracking, not as much damage so I wouldn't use it for progression raids.

E92 M3

You can use them on an alt, if you need to. But if you have all the gear needed there is nothing it can be useful for.

The only alt I'll be working on is my second hunter. They will still serve no purpose.

They seem completely redundant. You don't need them for guantlets or boots, and you can fill a helm or chest slot with a Xur exotic so you really only need the commendation for a single piece of gear to get to level 31 and by the time you acquire the marks/coins for that many pieces you will have Commendations out the ying-yang. They don't really serve the purpose of a time/activity gate, they are pointless.

Yes, very much so. My theory is that Bungie might have some kind use for them in the future. Who am I kidding, though? It was just a last minute addition that wasn't properly thought out. Bungie is too big of an organization and there is a ton of disconnect between all of the departments.

spyder_ur

Exactly. I hated the news of the commendations when I heard it as I thought it was an unnecessary annoyance. Turns out it's really just unnecessary period. I already have 3 or 4 of each type saved up in the vault.

Nothing, really. Some people are using the raid rocket launcher as a "baby ballerhorn" so they can use IB as their exotic. For most content, that's probably fine. Without wolfpack rounds that have tracking, not as much damage so I wouldn't use it for progression raids.

Yeah, I was using Hezen Vengeance on Crota last night. It did ok damage, but no tracking is killer. He would calmly step aside to so many rockets it was ridiculous. Truth would have been a better option I think.

Zakalwe

Banned
This is a fantastic sentence- almost perfectly capturing the cognitive dissonance that is Destiny. It could almost be rephrased, "I'm not one for senseless catharsis, but this game calls for senseless catharsis!" :p

Making me want to cry.

I think this is venturing into another concern altogether.

When I describe the game as "addictive," I'm ultimately being metaphorical. It employs a ridiculously fun core gameplay hook that makes undertaking extremely repetitive actions bearable, and marries this to a semi-traditional vertical gear treadmill that rewards return visits; the conceptual side of what you're doing holds little to identify in the way of fun, as it shows the language we choose to describe it ("grind," "work," "punishment"), but the experiential process- jumping around, shooting aliens in the face, doing barrel rolls on a speeder, beating someone to the heavy ammo spawn- very nearly ALWAYS is. It's consistently fun to just sit down and play even after hundreds of hours; as a result, I want to keep going until it isn't anymore. This isn't something you can pull off just taking shots in the dark, as the consensus view of Bungie would indicate.

Right, as I said: the gameplay loop is fantastic.

But in terms of legitimate psychological addiction, any entertainment product with variable ratio positive reinforcement, longitudinal progression, comparative avatar strength, an open-ended goal structure, etc. can be a dangerous thing. People prone to psychological addiction should stay far, far away from Destiny to be sure (though at least it won't silently lead to half a paycheck disappearing for "doughnuts"). But to say that it preys on these individuals is ascribing agency to an inanimate entity. It's a game; you have to play it.

When I say prey I didn't mean malice. I was being poetic or something.

The game is built around two things: the gameplay hook and the loot hook, and the hooks can to deep.

The designers are definitely aware of he draw of loot based games. Take that as you will.

I think this criticism in a vacuum is very interesting, and I don't honestly know what we're comparing it to when we make this concern. While saying that Destiny needs more content is a statement I'd agree with wholeheartedly, saying that there's "very little actual content" makes me wonder what similar game with a dissimilar amount of content I should be looking to as an example. Sometimes I wonder what similar game I'm supposed to look to at all.

You don't need to compare it to anything to understand that the majority of the time we're repeating the same gameplay loop in the same areas.

The pvp is bare bones. No custom games, no private matches, very little difference between modes.

The two new strikes are built on repeated areas for the most part. The bosses are almost all the same style of bullet sponge/add hordes. There is very little variety and lots of repetition.

I mean, technically there's a bunch of content, but there's not enough meaningful difference or variety. The AI is also very dumb in comparison to Halo, which was highly repetitive but felt like pvp at times because the AI could be so devious.

Right now I enjoy the game because of the loot (addictive behaviour) and playing with cool people, if I "won" destiny and got everything I wanted and didn't have friends to play with, the actual gameplay content probably wouldn't hold me.

Ah, see there we get to the crux of it. I very much doubt there's anyone who can't understand why there's so much bitching. That part is easy. All I was commenting on was the fact that it doesn't make things more fun, for me. It clearly does for others, and so that's just the way it goes.

You really think the people bitching wouldn't rather be enjoying the game too?

Coconut

Banned
I've always found finding the cheese as a fun part of a game. We now live in a time that if the dev doesn't want the cheese they can patch it out. The cheese is part of what makes a game a game. it's the same thing as collecting a buncha reverse cards in Uno there's always a way to break a game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cheese, cheese it all. I view it as a small way of, besides quitting the game, rejecting their design choices.
That'll show em. Damn the man! -_-
what is the better Defender Helm? Saint 14 or Glasshouse?
Depends on context (assuming both maxed of course); for a boss fight where you're plugging away the whole time, Glasshouse. When there's actually stuff rolling up on you in your bubble, Saint 14.

Neoweee

I hit Level 20 two days ago. Got two pieces of decent gear, now at 22.

What should I be doing with my time? I'm just playing PVP, and doing the Dailies/Heroics, along with Strike playlists. What reputation should I go for?

The Crucible Commendation mechanic looks kind of dumb.

Really enjoying the game, though. The "last" story mission I got dumped into (despite not being that far on my own) was really, really fun.

Sullichin

I do as many Nightfalls legitimately just for the challenge as possible, though it's not easy to find people to try. This one in particular, if we're going to go to the point of saying that using the left corner rock (not jumping behind the rock wall, just using the boulder as cover) is cheese, would be pretty damn impressive to do "legitimately". I don't think that rock is so cheesy though; it's just holding a defensible point; though an argument could be made that it's cheese since you don't trigger the wizards from there. Regardless, everything but the boss is shooting Arc at you and a couple stray Knight shots and you're wiped, so it's a real challenge any way besides the shrieker room/sniping from before it.

But that's the thing with Nightfalls. The Nightfall modifier is so brutal and restrictive, it almost invites you to find a way to cheese it. It's not like the weekly heroic or raid where you get a checkpoint and just give it another shot in seconds if you wipe. You need to do whatever you can do make it through the encounter intact. It's almost daring you: "break me."

The rock isn't nearly as cheesy as staying behind the shrieker but it's still a spot. Every strike has the cheese spots that everyone knows about at this point. Basically this:

I would pay money to see Bungie devs do a Nightfall "The Way It's Meant To Be Done" every week. Live, not pre-recorded.

I would really like to see "how it's meant to be done" because I can get killed in one shot at level 31 by most of the things attacking me.

So much cheesing of the new raid. My group ran it last week and with learning the new encounters and all, it took under two hours. Pretty sure our second run on our alts was less than an hour.

Crota is the ONLY part I can understand cheesing, because the beginning of the encounter is so tedious that wiping repeatedly becomes a huge headache. But if your team is communicating well, it's a very simple quick encounter. There's actually substantial room for error considering how much time you have to breathe during certain parts of the encounter.

But I guess the reality is, for some people, doing it legitimately just isn't rewarding when statistically you're going to get the shaft from the game's whacky loot system.

Top Bottom