• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

raindoc

Speaking of cheese, who does the nightfalls totally legitimately?

My friends and I cheesed the fuck out of Phogoth after wiping to the wizard wave three times. Doing it legitimately, without staying by the entrance of the wave room/luring the wizards, hiding behind the rock or by the shrieker is ridiculous. I'd like to see it done.

Just went on YouTube to check that out and I literally can't find a single video of someone/a team doing it without conceding to hiding in a safe spot.

And that's Phogoth. Now think about Omnigul.

Did you guys get the husk on 24 or 28?

Tawpgun

The way I see it, I essentially paid 20 bucks for new gear and a new raid. Why would I cheapen that experience for myself?

But with how exploitable Crotas end is im scared lfg will just be filled with cheesers. It was really dumb how people in lfg during NORMAL mode Templar needed to cheese him. The fight is not that hard in normal and it's really fun.

It was downright sad how many people had no idea how to beat Templar legit after the patch.

I still need to run CE twice. My group made it to Crota on Monday but couldn't get the timing down to kill him.
Unfortunately I'm on xbone and it seems the majority of raiding parties are ps4 here

Dante316

1 . Dante316
2.drubbed
3 ty_84
US-Frostburn 
pS4 DekuBleep

6. Minime637

we will start as soon as we have 6 people. I have the crota check point if it wasn't clear.

Sent yall party invites lol chillaxing is the room name, waiting couple minutes for drubbed.

Tawpgun

Also I wish the game would let me choose to buy faction stuff with vanguard marks.

I abhor PvP in this game and wish bungie would allow me to double my mark limit by choosing to not participate with crucible marks. Faction rep is already given in pve activies, so why can't I buy faction shit with PvE money?

what is the better Defender Helm? Saint 14 or Glasshouse?

Saint 14 is an incredibly strategic piece of gear. You essentially get to create a bottleneck/chokepoint. It can be insanely valuable in certain situations.

On one of our runs of the abyss, the whole team wiped except for me at the last part where we were defending and waiting for the bridge. Bridge is finishing forming, adds coming in droves. I pop my bubble and no adds can follow me across the bridge. Used it for similar things in the VoG (slowing enemies at the conflux).

On last week's Nightfall, I could jump onto Omnigul's bridge and pop it. Her and her wizards would all get blinded and I could just lay into them.

Glasshouse, as Hawkian mentioned, is for when you just straight up need that extra time to take down the bullet sponge. 9/10, for me, I prefer to know my bubble is an absolute safe zone.

panda-zebra

How does that trick work? You log in when the reset hits, pick up the new bounties. Complete them and when you turn them in later on during the day, they're there again?

That seems to be it, I wait at eris and watch the countdown to the new stuff and do as you said, i've been making sure they get done and handed in as a priority.

we used to do this for regular bounties but it seemed to get patched a little while back, then a friend noticed they reappeared when his game crashed and since we've been trying to max eris rep with a bit of regular bounty boosting for all this new gear. Not actually doing anything iffy or irregular, just playing the game, quitting and coming back later for more.

The only alt I'll be working on is my second hunter. They will still serve no purpose.

Yes, very much so. My theory is that Bungie might have some kind use for them in the future. Who am I kidding, though? It was just a last minute addition that wasn't properly thought out. Bungie is too big of an organization and there is a ton of disconnect between all of the departments.

I do wonder if they may be a gate to a from-scratch-player with no alts feeding them loot. Starting with nothing and having to grind rep may find a brief window where they have marks but no commendation to buy a piece of needed gear and have yet to earn enough coins for exotics, but it would be a small impeding window that resolves with a weekly reset for a Heroic or Marks.

Is there a consensus yet on the "must buy" primary vendor weapons post DLC? The hand cannon offerings are garbage, which really disappoints me (I am using a Pulse Rifle at the moment ffs) but I am willing to grind marks and rep for a decent leg primary.

Navy Bean

I don't really see these things as cheese, per se. Knocking Atheon off the ledge? Bugging out Crota so he is always vulnerable? That's the type of cheese/exploits that are the problem.

I ran the first two sections of CE solo. In the abyss, using the exploding light jump didn't feel like a cheese. Just seemed like an awesome strategy.

But for the bridge, I got the sword and used the Warlock revive. Then it's just wait 5 minutes and ice breaker the ogres. That felt like a cheese. Anyways, I didn't have a group and it was fun to do once (though I only got shards and a second glove).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
When I say prey I didn't mean malice. I was being poetic or something.

The game is built around two things: the gameplay hook and the loot hook, and the hooks can to deep.

The designers are definitely aware of he draw of loot based games. Take that as you will.
They've constructed a game that ruthlessly manipulates player habits as determined over generations of game design.

I guess the thing is that if you kind of took a glance over the constant tone of commentary about it you'd probably get the distinct impression that this endeavor was a considerable failure. But... in reality, from Bungie's perspective, it's kind of been an overwhelming success :-/
You don't need to compare it to anything to understand that the majority of the time we're repeating the same gameplay loop in the same areas.
I'm not sure if I accept your premise. I really would like to compare it to something so that I know what a lot or a little actually looks like for an entrant in the type of game Destiny attempts to be.

This is important not because I'm perfectly satisfied with the amount of areas and activities and modes and see no value in adding more, but because I don't know what a game with somewhere around the right amount of content in this subgenre looks like, if it's not Destiny.

I will tell you that as much as I want more stuff, and I REALLY do, especially more planets- with two raids in-game, 3 characters, and hard mode on the way, I'm already kind of struggling to fit as much of this game into my schedule as I want to xD Destiny is not the only game I play.
if I "won" destiny and got everything I wanted and didn't have friends to play with, the actual gameplay content probably wouldn't hold me.
Hold the phone a second here, are you saying that if you got everything you wanted in the game, and didn't have friends to play with, there's a chance it still would hold you?!
You really think the people bitching wouldn't rather be enjoying the game too?
See that's what I'm saying, I have no clue how to answer this, I don't get how to relate. You seem to be implying they aren't actually enjoying the game, whereas I sort of assumed they were, but also enjoying the act of bitching about it. If they're really not enjoying the game, but continuing to bitch about it, can you explain why they don't stop playing altogether? :-[

It's the daily heroic mission also!

LOL makes sense, I didn't know you can go and select the same mission that's the daily and get rewarded for it.

Anyone down for a normal vault of glass raid and a Hard mode right after? I have three with me level 30, 31, and 31. Anyone is welcomed. PSN KeanBurke

Bizazedo

That'll show em. Damn the man! -_-

I know. Taken as a snippet it's silly as hell. I guess the main point, though, is that everything Bungie is doing seems to be to slow down / make things harder....so "breaking" that is a form of defiance.

And separately, commendations make zero sense now that we've seen them implemented / what they're used for. Waste of space.

patchday

The way I see it, I essentially paid 20 bucks for new gear and a new raid. Why would I cheapen that experience for myself?

But with how exploitable Crotas end is im scared lfg will just be filled with cheesers. It was really dumb how people in lfg during NORMAL mode Templar needed to cheese him. The fight is not that hard in normal and it's really fun.

It was downright sad how many people had no idea how to beat Templar legit after the patch.

Perhaps you are not aware of the bonus chest you get if you defeat him before he gets enraged. That is why people cheesed him on normal & hard

maybe you meant something else. Like- a solid team should beat templar before enrage normally

Sane_Man

I still need to run CE twice. My group made it to Crota on Monday but couldn't get the timing down to kill him.
Unfortunately I'm on xbone and it seems the majority of raiding parties are ps4 here

The main reason people cheesed templar on normal was because it was a sure fire way of guaranteeing the secret chest.

E92 M3

So do people use the center strat or left strat for Crota?

Left is the most efficient one by a long-shot.

Is there a consensus yet on the "must buy" primary vendor weapons post DLC? The hand cannon offerings are garbage, which really disappoints me (I am using a Pulse Rifle at the moment ffs) but I am willing to grind marks and rep for a decent leg primary.

I think the Vanguard sniper rifle is held in high regard.

Trakan

I killed enough hive to get the upgrade for the Husk of the Pit, now I just need to grind enough rep to get the embalming orb. It's a pretty cool gun. It's a bullet hose, but not quite as unstable as others I've used. It sounds unique, and has a pulse rifle icon/reload animation.

I think they definitely made it possible for that gun to drop with the upgrade yesterday.

Ambitious

Is anyone interested in doing a quick VoG run? I need some shards. Normal or Heroic. Preferably the latter, but Normal is fine too.

LOL makes sense, I didn't know you can go and select the same mission that's the daily and get rewarded for it.

Anyone down for a normal vault of glass raid and a Hard mode right after? I have three with me level 30, 31, and 31. Anyone is welcomed. PSN KeanBurke

Yeah. But why two times? Why not just do it on Hard?

I killed enough hive to get the upgrade for the Husk of the Pit, now I just need to grind enough rep to get the embalming orb. It's a pretty cool gun. It's a bullet hose, but not quite as unstable as others I've used. It sounds unique, and has a pulse rifle icon/reload animation.

I think they definitely made it possible for that gun to drop with the upgrade yesterday.
Still farming...

How long of waking the hive did it take to max the xp?

So do people use the center strat or left strat for Crota?

I prefer the left because you can still get a crack at Crota when he goes right.

Left is the most efficient one by a long-shot.

Yeah, I tried both and left is a lot better.

Left. I think center makes it too hard for the sword bearer; the jump up is harder and (unless you have one up top sniping) they are more likely to get wrecked by "boomer" knights.

Left all the way I say. Center when it's Ogre time

Seems pretty conclusive, eh Hood...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The main reason people cheesed templar on normal was because it was a sure fire way of guaranteeing the secret chest.

Pretty much this. I think I cheesed him 100% of the time when possible until it was fixed. But I had beaten him 20+ times before that. Gotta get the chest!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Any feedback on The Devil You Don't???

Is that clip too small?
Is the reload time to slow?

Everything els about the gun looks good/great.

No solid primaries though? :( I miss my TDYK

Unfortunately, as the saying goes, The Devil You Know is far better than The Devil You Don't.

Check out The Satrienne Rapier, I think it is a Crucible weapon. Also, all of the faction weapons (Dead Orbit, New Monarchy, FWC) got upgraded stats on their weapons. Pretty sure The Vanquisher VII from New Monarchy is a solid AR.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm not sure if I accept your premise. I really would like to compare it to something so that I know what a lot or a little actually looks like for an entrant in the type of game Destiny attempts to be.

Feel free to compare it to similar games then. Diablo, WoW, Warframe, etc... All share enough aspexts for comparisons to be valid.

(Taking imo consideration how long each game has been out for, of course).

This is important not because I'm perfectly satisfied with the amount of areas and activities and modes and see no value in adding more, but because I don't know what a game with somewhere around the right amount of content in this subgenre looks like, if it's not Destiny.

Again, I'm not talking about raw numbers.

You really think the DLC content was satisfying relatively?

The raid is much lighter than VoG.
The two strikes are set in reused areas.
The story missions take very little time to complete.

It's not about raw content, but about intelligently designed and challenging content.

We were discussing this last night. Many of us would be happy with the raw amount of strikes if the strikes were more like mini raids. We felt that CE is so short that it feels like a mini raid, or like how the strikes could have been.

Imagine if every strike had raid like mechanics instead of just enemy wave and bullet sponges.

I wouldn't mind the exact amount of content we have right now if more of the content was intelligently engaging or legitimately challenging.

Hold the phone a second here, are you saying that if you got everything you wanted in the game, and didn't have friends to play with, there's a chance it still would hold you?!

No. It probably wouldn't.

Yet there are loads of games that would with solo play because there's enough actually engaging content.

Halo didn't need loot drops and grind to make me want to play the campaign dozens of times.

See that's what I'm saying, I have no clue how to answer this, I don't get how to relate. You seem to be implying they aren't actually enjoying the game, whereas I sort of assumed they were, but also enjoying the act of bitching about it. If they're really not enjoying the game, but continuing to bitch about it, can you explain why they don't stop playing altogether? :-[

Where did I imply these people weren't enjoying themselves? I explicitly said I understand how you could enjoy this game and also feel the need to vent wildly.

I understand how the game's hooks could get that embedded, yeh.

Bizazedo

Perhaps you are not aware of the bonus chest you get if you defeat him before he gets enraged. That is why people cheesed him on normal & hard

maybe you meant something else. Like- a solid team should beat templar before enrage normally
It had / has nothing to do with enrage, it has to do with preventing teleportation.

On normal, it's pretty easy to prevent teleporting, though. And it's fun. When it comes down to it, people are generally greedy and selfish pigs who want reward through the easiest possible way.

patchday

I think this criticism in a vacuum is very interesting, and I don't honestly know what we're comparing it to when we make this claim. While saying that Destiny needs more content is a statement I'd agree with wholeheartedly, saying that there's "very little actual content" makes me wonder what similar game with a dissimilar amount of content I should be looking to as an example. Sometimes I wonder what similar game I'm supposed to look to at all.

I've switched to playing Diablo 3 ultimate evil edition lately. I'd compare Destiny to that personally. I think it includes transmorgification along with match making for all events, lots of epic loot (not just 1 endgame set far as I know) raining out of the sky, etc. I am only L45 on my highest avatar atm

I did logon to Destiny for bout 10 mins or so this morning to look at Lord Saladin (Iron Bannet Npc). Verified he had a bunch of loot I already purchased with Crucible marks, etc. Disappointed, went back to Diablo.

I'd also compare this game to Guild Wars 2 which had tons more content at launch.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
It's held back by the clip size. However if you can get a drop with Field Scout it bumps the mag size upto 13, it's a VERY solid HC then.

Well I will hold off on buying the Vanguard version as it currently is.
I want to buy a new primary and don't know what to choose.
The impact on the new Auto Rifles in the shop is scary low. I want something to replace my Shadow Price.

Wallach

Got Truth from the Nightfall this week, kind of glad I didn't buy it when Xur was here. Is actually a pretty solid RL from what I can tell. Ruin Wings with a RL is crazy, between Truth and Super Good Advice I'm chucking heavy weapon death all day.

They also seem to enjoy throwing PRs at me, I now have Three Little Words, Time on Target and Coiled Hiss 1919. Three Little Words and Coiled Hiss 1919 both rolled Headseeker & Reactive Reload, unfortunately neither rolled Field Scout (which hurts Three Little Words especially). I like the stat spread on Three Little Words but without Flared Magwell or Field Scout it seems questionable for PvE. Time on Target has proven to be a very solid weapon though and my go-to aside from the Vision of Confluence I've been leveling. Will probably level Coiled Hiss 1919 next and try it with Flared Magwell, Headseeker & Reactive Reload might push it over Time on Target.

patchday

On normal, it's pretty easy to prevent teleporting, though. And it's fun. When it comes down to it, people are generally greedy and selfish pigs who want reward through the easiest possible way.

I'd argue it was much more fun cheesing him with my Titan. Never even used pulse grenades much before I learned from GAF how to templar cheese. After that used them to good effect in Crucible.

I also liked cheesing him as a Hunter/relic-holder. Everyone is huddled in one nice place so its easy to cleanse

Bungie is devoted to screwing us at every turn is my attitude so anyway people can get their rewards easier is okay with me. It's a valid strategy til patched yo

[edit] Then again, as a relic holder I would rather smash things. So templar cheese as a relic holder does suck. sorry I do agree on that lol

Top Bottom