• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

raindoc

Just logged on.

Daily story mission is a Dark Below one.

Are you fucking kidding me Bungie.

I got the digital guardian edition, so "i'm fine", but you guys have my deepest sympathy.
Has this ever been done before? Punishing customers for not buying DLC?

Ambitious

Thought we'd increase our chances of getting better rewards. Like rolling the dice twice.

Well, it's either rolling the dice twice or rolling two dice at once. Assuming each single loot drop is indeed independent of the others, which we don't know.

Anyway, doesn't matter. I just got your invite - I'll join in two minutes.

gdt

No cheeses from me anymore IMO. Teams get fucked a bit when they get fixed. Raids are fun, let's keep them that way. And CE is short as it is. Though maybe hard mode has more sections to it.

zewone

I got the digital guardian edition, so "i'm fine", but you guys have my deepest sympathy.

Yeah. Past Halo games.

They were multiple matchmaking playlists you could not access without the DLC.

Other games handled this by simply kicking you out when a DLC map came up in the rotation.

nowai

Pretty much every MMO, ever. Destiny is an MMO-light style game.

It sucks, but it's just the nature of a shared world games. Unfortunately, if people want to keep playing in these types of games, purchasing the updates is required.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know. Taken as a snippet it's silly as hell. I guess the main point, though, is that everything Bungie is doing seems to be to slow down / make things harder....so "breaking" that is a form of defiance.
I don't think it's going to send the right signal ;)
Many of us would be happy with the raw amount of strikes if the strikes were more like mini raids.
That's completely valid and I definitely understand what you mean better now.
Feel free to compare it to similar games then. Diablo, WoW, Warframe, etc... All share enough aspexts for comparisons to be valid.
I've switched to playing Diablo 3 ultimate evil edition lately. I'd compare Destiny to that personally. I think it includes transmorgification along with match making for all events, lots of epic loot (not just 1 endgame set far as I know) raining out of the sky, etc. I am only L45 on my highest avatar atm

I did logon to Destiny for bout 10 mins or so this morning to look at Lord Saladin (Iron Bannet Npc). Verified he had a bunch of loot I already purchased with Crucible marks, etc. Disappointed, went back to Diablo.
These are universally awful examples :-/ I'm sorry guys, but you must know this.

I'm conceding right up from that I don't have a good example myself, but I think any potential game to put in the same box, for absolute starters, needs to be a shooter... it'd also be hard to consider any game that didn't have a core competitive component too.
I'd also compare this game to Guild Wars 2 which had tons more content at launch.
Destiny and Guild Wars 2 have almost nothing whatsoever in common. :-/

This may be unprecedented. DLC will of course lock out unpaying customers, but it never has locked out people from normal activities from pre-dlc. Multiplayer games notriously split playerbases with new map-packs, but non-buyers still get to play the same as always. Single player games offer new missions/area's, but non-buyers continue to play as normal.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So the Daily is one of the new story missions again already? damn that's ridiculous.

any bounties for it up at least?

The crucible hand cannon TFWPKY 1969 looks okay stats wise, certainly better than TDYD.

I'm debating beginning the grind for it.

Thanks, I feared it would be a crucible vendor weapon. Shit, have no crucible rep and I don't like PvP much. I do have some exotic bounties in progress though. Maybe I can combine all of their PvP sections into one binge.

Rubenov

The impact on the new Auto Rifles in the shop is scary low. I want something to replace my Shadow Price.

You have to look at the rate of fire and clip size; it's why they can compete or surpass higher impact ones.

Add stability upgrades and you're good to go.

Ever heard of how good Shingen-E was/is in PVP? These new auto rifles have a similar set up of RoF/Impact, but with Legendary qualities.

nowai

The crucible hand cannon TFWPKY 1969 looks okay stats wise, certainly better than TDYD.

I'm debating beginning the grind for it.

I bought it so that I could have a 331 hand cannon to hold me over until I got a solid upgrade.

It's fairly decent. The range and stability leave a lot to be desired.

If you have rank 3 FWC, the new chance is the best vendor hand cannon. It has the same impact as Hawkmoon and comes with Field Scout, which gives it 13 rounds.

Your best bet if you are considering grinding for marks, is to play Iron Banner and get a Timur's Lash. Best impact in the game and you can reroll it until you get great perks.

Wallach

So the Daily is one of the new story missions again already? damn that's ridiculous.

any bounties for it up at least?

Yeah Eris has one. Stomped it pretty hard this go around compared to the last time I had to solo that one for the daily thanks to Black Hammer and Truth.

Just logged on.

Daily story mission is a Dark Below one.

Are you fucking kidding me Bungie.

I understand that it is a bummer not being able to do some content some days, and maybe this is a controversial opinion, but what do people expect?

If you aren't purchasing the DLC and expanding your available activities, what are you playing the game for? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to be snarky. Unless you are really only interested in Crucible. I don't understand the draw to PvE if it isn't to tackle the end game content (the new raid). Acquiring more gear, leveling up, getting more powerful...for what?

By not purchasing the DLC, you are accepting that you do not get to access certain content. That is true all the time, not just when a daily activity happens to require it. They should have a system in place to rotate in a non-DLC piece of content for those who opt out, but I am not surprised that they choose not to and you probably shouldn't be either.

I guess I don't understand why you would keep playing the game if you didn't want to keep getting more things to do. If it is because you can't afford it, that's totally understandable.

If it's on principle of not supporting DLC, that's okay, but you are accepting that you don't get to do some stuff. That frustration is only going to continue to build, especially when the next one hits and there are twice as many things you can't do.

LordofPwn

No cheeses from me anymore IMO. Teams get fucked a bit when they get fixed. Raids are fun, let's keep them that way. And CE is short as it is. Though maybe hard mode has more sections to it.

I'll only do cheese solo for the fun of it or cheese crota (if i could get it to work) to practice sword combos and get numbers to compare what changes what. like if stats matter, if raid gear matters, if class matters, if quicker melee matters, etc.

Edit: Lol, nvm. Grimoire just didnt unlock the eyes heart and will of crota, nor the badass knight in the public event area, nor omnigul.

Sullichin

I wish Iron Banner didn't take over Clash on the new Dark Below maps. Skirmish is fun on the new maps, strange that there's only one playlist for them now though.

IB has the Dark Below logo in the Director... people without the DLC can still play IB, right?!

Zakalwe

Banned
These are universally awful examples :-/ I'm sorry guys, but you must know this.

I'm conceding right up from that I don't have a good example myself, but I think any potential game to put in the same box, for absolute starters, needs to be a shooter... it'd also be hard to consider any game that didn't have a core competitive component too.

Destiny and Guild Wars 2 have almost nothing whatsoever in common. :-/

And you must know that the closest thing we have to Destiny are games that it riffs its systems from.

The need to be a shooter isn't required, imo. The core gamplay is built around systems that games like Diablo, Wow, Warframe all share in many ways.

It depends which aspects you're comparing, but say the overall experience in Destiny is about loot acquisition and character progression.

We could compare the actual shooting to Halo, for example, but what about the mmorpg style systems?

Quality of mission design, enemy encounters, how the various systems have been implemented etc... are universal anyway. We can compare these things across any genre.

You can legitimately compare Destkny's quality of loot acquisition, character progression, NPC interaction, story, raid content and how it's delivered to the player, strikes (dungeons), etc... to WoW (again, obviously bearing in mind the length of development each game has had).

Bizazedo

I'd argue it was much more fun cheesing him with my Titan. Never even used pulse grenades much before I learned from GAF how to templar cheese. After that used them to good effect in Crucible.

Lightning Grenade >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pulse Grenade in Crucible.

I also liked cheesing him as a Hunter/relic-holder. Everyone is huddled in one nice place so its easy to cleanse
You just said standing in one place, occasionally holding down two buttons at a time, is fun.

Bungie is devoted to screwing us at every turn is my attitude so anyway people can get their rewards easier is okay with me. It's a valid strategy til patched yo

[edit] Then again, as a relic holder I would rather smash things. So templar cheese as a relic holder does suck. sorry I do agree on that lol

I agree with that part. It feels very adversarial with Bungie right now.

I don't think it's going to send the right signal ;)
It probably won't. But, it feels adversarial / meta now. They make it hard, it gets broken. When I saw the new cheese with disconnects on Crota I LOL'd for a good amount of time.

Part of that is just due to how many breaking glitches appear so quickly. It's astonishing.

forrest

formerly nacire
How do people have enough rep for rank Eris Rank 3 already? I've done every bounty everyday with nightfall buff, and still have a chunk left to go.

Deku Tree

How do people have enough rep for rank Eris Rank 3 already? I've done every bounty everyday with nightfall buff, and still have a chunk left to go.

Some people may have used the nightly reset dup method? I don't know.

Exactly. People who are playing during the reset can do the Eris bounties twice. Kind of unfair for those of us in a time zone and with a life schedule that doesn't allow us to participate in this cheese. You have to be logged into destiny during the reset then the new bounties pop up and you do them and then you log off and log back on and then they pop up again and you get to do them twice.

Top Bottom