• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Hardly anyone is paying any attention to the story line. I don't know anyone that cares about it. There are some folks that like to deep dive into the lore and read all the Grimoire cards, but most folks have no clue what's going on and don't care because the game never pulled you in to care in the beginning.

That's not a passable explanation for it, though. They heard the concerns voiced that the story was not adequate, wasn't successfully conveyed, etc etc, and claimed to want to address that.

Then there is this gaping bridge in the story of their content. Sure, a large portion of the playerbase could give a shit. But that isn't the point here. People don't give a shit because they haven't been given reason to give a shit, and this oversight, intentional or not, in the storytelling just further drives that reality.

The Eris questline was better than what was available before, and there is at least some more context for the raid than there was for Vault of Glass, but it is still only a baby step.

cilonen

I bought it so that I could have a 331 hand cannon to hold me over until I got a solid upgrade.

It's fairly decent. The range and stability leave a lot to be desired.

If you have rank 3 FWC, the new chance is the best vendor hand cannon. It has the same impact as Hawkmoon and comes with Field Scout, which gives it 13 rounds.

Your best bet if you are considering grinding for marks, is to play Iron Banner and get a Timur's Lash. Best impact in the game and you can reroll it until you get great perks.

Good call, I'll give this a go.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Alright, have a Crota checkpoint. Need 5 brave souls who wanna attempt and finish it with me. I'm a lvl 31 Warlock.

1.) PSN: El_Bombastico.
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)

X-Frame

Haven't looked at that one before, but man it is awesome... How many bounties will it take to reach Level 5 though :(

A lot, at least a month as I just hit Rank 2 with her and just from Rank 3 to 4 is 4,000 rep, which is almost double the Vanguard rep levels, with half the amount of bounties available to complete from Eris each day.

It looks dumb on my hunter; still happy Frost Fire.

It looks terrible on Hunter VoG gear.

Damn, that is weird. It looks great on any piece of Titan gear I preview, even green armor.

realcZk

What's the consensus so far on Crota raid vs. VOG in terms of fun?

crota is tense, fast paced and seemingly over in the blink of an eye.
vog is more relaxed at times, slower paced and seems to drag on until the end.

i felt like in vog there was much more to "explore" and stare in awe at. crota's end is beautiful in it's own right and the final boss battle stage is awesome. bridge part was well designed if you play it legit and lots of fun to do. fuck that witch though.

being the swordbearer is intense, you really feel the pressure the last sword round. your palms are sweaty, knees weak arms are heavy theres wolfpack rounds hitting crota already, hive spaghetti

they both call for different kinds of liqour

patchday

That's not a passable explanation for it, though. They heard the concerns voiced that the story was not adequate, wasn't successfully conveyed, etc etc, and claimed to want to address that.

Then there is this gaping bridge in the story of their content. Sure, a large portion of the playerbase could give a shit. But that isn't the point here. People don't give a shit because they haven't been given reason to give a shit, and this oversight, intentional or not, in the storytelling just further drives that reality.

The Eris questline was better than what was available before, and there is at least some more context for the raid than there was for Vault of Glass, but it is still only a baby step.

Yeah I watched the same marketing video from Bungie that you are referring to and I figured to myself there was no way that could accomplish that goal in just 3 months after launch

I'm hoping the next DLC will be spaced out much better giving the devs more time to work on lore and story. I'm playing through Diablo 3 right now and to be fair, I dont think the story is amazing there either. But they fill in some lore with these little journals and stuff.

I have hopes that Bungie can turn things around (for me) with next DLC. Til then I will probably avoid this crota dlc. But I'm hoping against all reason things will improve much more to my liking

gatti-man

Damn, imagine when there are mostly 32's in the group. Though it is Normal mode, so it should be "easy" when most are not under-leveled.

Do you still use the same Crota strategy we did with Dhruv last weekend?

Yeah same strategy but now it's even easier because I have ruin wings leveled up. So I gjallahorn everything. I'm throwing rockets at anything that moves lmao.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The crucible hand cannon TFWPKY 1969 looks okay stats wise, certainly better than TDYD.

I'm debating beginning the grind for it.
I'm actually interested in both. I dunno what perks the vendor TFWPKY has though, gotta look into it. What does that stand for anyway.
And you must know that the closest thing we have to Destiny are games that it riffs its systems from.
If this is the tack we're taking, then Destiny has no direct threats for the forseeable future.
The need to be a shooter isn't required, imo. The core gamplay is built around systems that games like Diablo, Wow, Warframe all share in many ways.

It depends which aspects you're comparing, but say the overall experience in Destiny is about loot acquisition and character progression.
I completely disagree.

The core hook in Diablo/Torchlight/Marvel Heroes/Path of Exile is loot acquisition, or more accurately, the draw of finding the "next great item," the drop that provides you with an incremental upgrade over the item in the slot it replaces, and refreshes your motivation to continue along the treadmill. The core hook in WoW does involve character progression, certainly, but it's centered around the social environment of a persistent world, stressing a guild with which to complete content, and a massive open world filled with enormous numbers of players at once. Warframe is a shooter, and I think it has progressive loot tables, so it's by far the best comparison I've seen so far.

The core hook in Destiny is that it feels good to shoot things. Or people. Preferably in the head.
We could compare the actual shooting to Halo, for example, but what about the mmorpg style systems?
Yes, how about that? You have to cite multiple games from completely disparate genres to create a psuedo-game that compares.
Quality of mission design, enemy encounters, how the various systems have been implemented etc... are universal anyway. We can compare these things across any genre.
Again, I must completely disagree. The degree to which story mission design, for example, is important in a narrative-driven singleplayer game is nowhere near comparable to how important it is in a game like Phantasy Star Online. Enemy encounter design in MMORPGs with calculation-and-cooldown based combat is dramatically de-emphasized compared to a first person shooter. And so on. Furthermore in games where the core moment-to-moment gameplay isn't as solid, the "how the various systems have been implemented" becomes far more important- because the gameplay isn't as solid.
You can legitimately compare Destkny's quality of loot acquisition, character progression, NPC interaction, story, raid content and how it's delivered to the player, strikes (dungeons), etc... to WoW (again, obviously bearing in mind the length of development each game has had).
You can do that but you'd be misleading people pretty much out of the gate. I cannot imagine Destiny and any traditional MMORPG having the same appeal, targeting the same core audience, relying on the same aspects of their design to encourage longtidunal play, etc.

Let's take the concept of a "raid" full stop, as though you can just compare a raid in WoW and a raid in Destiny and say which is objectively better. Do they really have that much in common? Don't raids in WoW require classes slotted into roles in the Holy Trinity? Do they ever hinge on how good certain players are at headshots or how much ammunition you have left? At the point in its lifecycle Destiny is at now, weren't WoW raids 40-man endeavors requiring a full guild to participate in? Do they instance all the tangible rewards (loot drops)? Do they have checkpoints you can return to later in the week? It's been a while since I paid much attention to WoW, certainly, but even if half of these things have changed in the meantime to be more similar to the way Destiny works, is it a helpful comparison?

I can't imagine putting a controller in the hands of a hardcore raider from WoW, saying "here's another raid, check it out" and sending them into Crota's End expecting them to get something similar out of the experience.
Not sure why it has to be a shooter since that's only one aspect of an RPG. The shooter RPGs I know of are Borderlands, Warframe, Hellgate London, etc. Looking forward to trying out Borderlands 2 when I get time. Hopeful for a PS4 port though.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer vs Destiny. I think ME3MP has way less content but is much better designed for what it is and was brilliant supported with bi-weekly updates and free DLCs for the entire first year. I did quit though after that 1st year but enjoyed great matchmaking, great gun play that rivals Destiny, and a large variety of Classes.
These are enormously better examples. I'm surprised no one mentioned Borderlands before. On paper, it has an enormous amount in common minus the competitive elements.

But in going back and playing it after Destiny, it really doesn't feel that similar to me or scratch the same itch. I'd be interested to hear if other people feel that it does, though.
Guild Wars 2 and Destiny have plenty in common- character progression, open world, pvp, raids, crafting, etc. They're both classified as Online RPGs surely. Guild Wars 2, at launch, was much more complete. PvPers were not forced into raiding and the same went for pve players (not being forced into Battelgrounds). PVP is actually meaningful and has impact.

I could go on and on. GW2 had so much content at launch it would easily bury Destiny
I don't even know where to start. They are certainly not both classified as online RPGs.

Guild Wars 2 is probably the single game I have put the most time into in my life. I believe it to be the substantially better game when compared to Destiny. But the two are not particularly comparable... at all. No one was forced into raiding in GW2 because there was no raiding. There are still to this day no raids at all. I'm assuming by Battlegrounds you mean WvW; ironically enough at launch both PvP and PvE players that wanted a legendary weapon did need to enter WvW for the Gift of Battle, but that's really neither here nor there. There is no crafting in Destiny. Destiny does not have an open world. Character progression in GW2 completely de-emphasizes vertical progression to the point where seeking true best-in-slot items is basically a vanity exercise. The toughest group content in the game can be completely in gear two tiers below the top or even less with sufficient skill. Guild Wars 2 employs a suite of refined social elements and derives a lot of fun from guilds and server interaction neither of which have any impact in Destiny at all.

They use disparate design decisions almost every step of the way.

Destiny can still be a lot of fun. I still hang around and sync up patches because I think if they were to alter their course a bit it could become brilliant. Remove the stupid glimmer caps, handle exotic upgrades with an extra node, etc. Also add more endgame sets or allow some form of transmorgification so all the L32s would look like ridicilous clones of another
Well, at the very least, I'm totally with you on item transmutation. It's the feature I personally want added most. I save skins I like just on the sliver of a chance it is ever added.

Wallach

What's the consensus so far on Crota raid vs. VOG in terms of fun?

I think I enjoy CE more only because the Vex are probably the least fun enemies to fight in the game for me. They all seem like such slow, plodding targets outside Minotaurs, which aren't all that fun to fight without any critical hit weakpoint.

The combat scenarios and bosses are more interesting in VoG, but the setpieces are less interesting visually. Overall raid design goes to VoG, but in terms of farming CE will probably entertain for longer as the Hive are more engaging and the hard mode will not let you get an even footing with them level-wise. Once you have the encounter concepts down in VoG I feel like it gets boring more quickly just because it's full of Vex.

patchday

finished CE for the first time last night. terrible drops, but was extremely fun compared to VOG

Crota is more fun for me. First and second encounters are awesome. Haven't tried
carrying the sword on Crota though.

Oh? Now that sounds very promising. I just wish you guys would at least get your set pieces. They say they improved the RNG so why is it you guys still dont have your pieces?

I used to raid with all 3 character slots and never got all my pieces. Dont look forward to that.

just wish I could change my attitude and not be such a greedy &@@#@. It is so much fun raiding with GAF but when I get crappy drops on all 3 characters I get pissed and want to uninstall

X-Frame

Posted? Full Titan Raid Gear (found on Reddit, not mine):

RkFq1J9.jpg

nowai

Yeah I watched the same marketing video from Bungie that you are referring to and I figured to myself there was no way that could accomplish that goal in just 3 months after launch

I'm hoping the next DLC will be spaced out much better giving the devs more time to work on lore and story. I'm playing through Diablo 3 right now and to be fair, I dont think the story is amazing there either. But they fill in some lore with these little journals and stuff.

I have hopes that Bungie can turn things around (for me) with next DLC. Til then I will probably avoid this crota dlc. But I'm hoping against all reason things will improve much more to my liking

I really wish Bungie would introduce a Diablo Rift mechanic.

Procedural generated instance with random enemies, random boss and random modifiers.

I would be such a rush to fight a boss in a random area that was different so they couldn't be cheesed every time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

at this point, I have abandoned all hope of Destiny ever having a compelling narrative. the surrounding lore is solid and nice to pore over, but there's just really nothing here in terms of story.
crota is tense, fast paced and seemingly over in the blink of an eye.
vog is more relaxed at times, slower paced and seems to drag on until the end.

i felt like in vog there was much more to "explore" and stare in awe at. crota's end is beautiful in it's own right and the final boss battle stage is awesome. bridge part was well designed if you play it legit and lots of fun to do. fuck that witch though.

being the swordbearer is intense, you really feel the pressure the last sword round. your palms are sweaty, knees weak arms are heavy theres wolfpack rounds hitting crota already, hive spaghetti

they both call for different kinds of liqour
I very much like this post

and now, the Crucible and Vanguard vendors only sell shitty low impact, low range ARs

Best head to New Monarchy and nab the Vanquisher while it still exists

They are deliberately turning AR's into bullet hose niche to better separate them from other types. They were already the all-purpose gun and I think they want to move away from that.

Destiny is a mix of genres, but that doesn't mean you can't compare it to anything because they're not exactly the same. Saying so is just intellectually dishonest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think I enjoy CE more only because the Vex are probably the least fun enemies to fight in the game for me. They all seem like such slow, plodding targets outside Minotaurs, which aren't all that fun to fight without any critical hit weakpoint.

The combat scenarios and bosses are more interesting in VoG, but the setpieces are less interesting visually. Overall raid design goes to VoG, but in terms of farming CE will probably entertain for longer as the Hive are more engaging and the hard mode will not let you get an even footing with them level-wise. Once you have the encounter concepts down in VoG I feel like it gets boring more quickly just because it's full of Vex.
I really think it is going to come down to personal preference. I need to do lots more CE to be sure, but I believe it will be my preferred of the two as well.

Ultimately, I'm glad they are very different and both in the game

pj

Banned

Thats true. I fuckin hate minotaurs

gatti-man

So anyone else getting irritated with cheese? Some of these cheese tactics take longer than just doing it straight up. Like bridge cheese. It actually takes longer for the bridge cheese than doing it right.

not a fan of the Hive looking raid armor, I like my characters looking cool, even if it brings me down to level 31.

I will still do the raid next week, I want weapons

Top Bottom