• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Rubenov

So I have a serious lack of Hardonic Essence. Any tips on how to get more of this?

Grind strikes that give you blue engrams, decode and dismantle those. You will likey pick a few greens and blues along the way to dismantle also.

Buy green chest pieces from your local Vanguard rep, dismantle those.

I got black hammer four times in a row....

I swear the RNG is not really RNG and is a pseudoRNG that uses a seed which increases the likely hood of dupes. It just seems way too coincidental to get the same drop repeatedly in so few attempts yet. This is why everyone gets a different set of dupes.

I really wish Bungie would introduce a Diablo Rift mechanic.

Procedural generated instance with random enemies, random boss and random modifiers.

I would be such a rush to fight a boss in a random area that was different so they couldn't be cheesed every time.

That would be great. Wish they had designed the game with something like that in mind. It would also help if they weren't so stingy with loot and it dropped loot more than once a week. Maybe you could do one once every 24 hours

Edit** I did my Nightfalls last night and didn't get shit. Now I have to wait an entire week? That's just stupid

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think it's clear at this point that Bungie wants the strikes to be as accessible as possible so that they can be matchmade. The bosses are 1 dimensional and there are no unique mechanics so it's easy to pick up. If it was more challenging, a random group probably wouldn't consistently clear it in 10-20 minutes.
Precisely, yeah
i've seen similar stuff in other MMOs, but the dungeons you'd grind before you do a raid weren't nearly as barebones as Destiny's strikes. Had voice chat been around from the onset, it wouldn't have taken long for strategies in more difficult strikes to trickle down. That's what a community does when there is challenging content. Now everyone's used to doing their own thing so nobody cares.
Haha, well, I do still see certain strategies embraced pretty universally. EVERYONE seems to know about that lil' room on the left for Sepiks Prime.
It'd only help the game. If Bungie really wants this to be a co-op game, they have to prioritize clever encounters that require teamwork over content that you can carry yourself through with weaker teammates. And again, things like voice chat and other battle-specific emotes would have benefited that cooperation.

The strikes will always be held back until Bungie changes their approach. In the long run i think it hurts the game if you're softening content rather than encouraging team building and strategy sharing.
Hmm. I mean, I guess from my perspective they have prioritized such encounteres by making them the raids.

I do think I get what you mean, because the total package would definitely be more appealing to me as an individual if the strikes were more involved and mechanically interesting. At the same time, I think you're definitely representing the viewpoint of a very skilled player here ;)

Ragarra

How do you think I feel after playing the same amount as you (give or take)? I have all three raid gear pieces on my hunter, the raid RL, and the raid sniper.

I feel great. Fucking great.

Just think how Shep feels. Shards and no gear. Though he does have a ballerhorn.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The VoG is a dive into the lore and mysteries of the Vex, you don't know what lies around the next bend. - Curiosity

Crotas end is a precision strike to take out an imminent threat at all costs. - Adrenaline
I'm typing up a one-paragraph-each review of the two raids (to be finished tonight after my group fucks Crota up hardcore)... but you could have just written its TL:DR. Right on the nose.

Daemul

Posted? Full Titan Raid Gear (found on Reddit, not mine):

RkFq1J9.jpg

41ae43cf7d59a84641ee8da3366d9e30.gif

Fuck it, I've decided, I'm sticking with the vendor armour. This shit is hideous.

E92 M3

I'm actually excited for Xur this Friday. I regret not upgrading my Mask of Third Man last week. Was a stingy asshole. I have OCD where I don't like having less than 13,000 glimmer. It's actually been with me for every RPG. Consumables and money always need to be at a certain level. Love to be stocked up haha.

gatti-man

I swear the RNG is not really RNG and is a pseudoRNG that uses a seed which increases the likely hood of dupes. It just seems way too coincidental to get the same drop repeatedly in so few attempts yet. This is why everyone gets a different set of dupes.

I also got boots 5 times in a row lol.

Feorax

Great VOG raid tonight (once we got through the first bit).

Still seems weird Atheon gave me two helmets. Oh well, got Pradyth's Revenge, Found Verdict and the Sparrow, and got the shards needed for 31, so I'm pretty happy.

gatti-man

I'm actually excited for Xur this Friday. I regret not upgrading my Mask of Third Man last week. Was a stingy asshole. I have OCD where I don't like having less than 13,000 glimmer. It's actually been with me for every RPG. Consumables and money always need to be at a certain level. Love to be stocked up haha.

I'm flat broke after last weekend. Barely above 10k now and I've been grinding glimmer. Definitely plan on being at 20k by xursday.

Deku Tree

Grind strikes that give you blue engrams, decode and dismantle those. You will likey pick a few greens and blues along the way to dismantle also.

Buy green chest pieces from your local Vanguard rep, dismantle those.

Oh I gotta try that. I need 100 sapphire wire.

I really am trying not to brush a single example off at all. I'm attempting to give every single one I see mentioned due consideration.

But Diablo 3 and especially Guild Wars 2 are REALLY, really ridiculously different games. Destiny is first and foremost a shooter. Come on now. A lot of the time you spend in Destiny, you're in competitive multiplayer matches where statistical progression is invalidated. You learn the flow of the maps, you get good sightlines, you get headshots, you get ammo spawns. At these moments Destiny has way more in common with Titanfall or Quake than with WoW. I know you realize this. And Borderlands- which is a shooter, has all the character progression elements, has loot drops- doesn't have those competitive elements. Of course, it also lacks (at least in the first game and first DLC, I'm only halfway through BL2) anything comparable to Destiny's raids. And just feels really different to me, just mechanically and aesthetically.

But, this is my point right here. You're making my point. You can adequately compare specific parts of Destiny to some games and other parts to other games. But overall: ?

I haven't heard anyone say it yet but I think a stronger case could be made that Destiny started a new subgenre of shooter, inspired by games from a large variety of other genres. The "raid shooter" maybe.

Are you talking about me specifically? Because a level 6 can still get destroyed by a 30 in regular Crucible. Your progress is only invalidated in a very basic sense.

And I never said that Destiny and Borderlands were even close to the same game. I don't even like Borderlands. Of course they feel different to play. No one's disputing that.

I'm not even sure what you're even arguing at this point. Before you were saying that Destiny doesn't have anything too worry about with regards to competitors, and now your point is that Destiny is a genre in and of itself? That was your argument this whole time? Didn't this whole conversation start because you couldn't understand why people would bitch about a game they enjoy playing?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ha, I'm hoping for a repeat Red Death myself. I can't believe I just missed it somehow.

Hoodbury

You are in no way encouraged to do so by Eris, nor does she acknowledge the feat. There is no context.

Yesterday when I walked up to her and accepted a bounty she did a voice over that something along the lines of "this shouldn't be a problem for you since you've defeated Crota already".

Precisely, yeah

Haha, well, I do still see certain strategies embraced pretty universally. EVERYONE seems to know about that lil' room on the left for Sepiks Prime.

Hmm. I mean, I guess from my perspective they have prioritized such encounteres by making them the raids.

I do think I get what you mean, because the total package would definitely be more appealing to me as an individual if the strikes were more involved and mechanically interesting. At the same time, I think you're definitely representing the viewpoint of a very skilled player here ;)

most of what i've learned has come from time investment and other players who have shared their knowledge with the community. that is a constant and is fortunately the benefit of having an aggressive fanbase.

i appreciate the accessibility of the game because it allows me to play with a larger variety of players - including friends who'd normally not play shooters - so i understand the direction bungie went. even so, i think they're underestimating the fanbase and have not done enough to facilitate the interactivity that could bridge the gap between challenging content and the consistently rewarding experience they strive for.

i mean, there are more complex MMOs designed for kids, but they don't intentionally stop them from communicating and figuring out ways to tackle challenges.

Ragarra

I have zero pity for Shep... dude had unreal luck during VoG. It looks like I'll be taking over that luck for TDB... at least so far I have. 43 more radiant shards until I hit lvl32.

Only 42 thats what 4 weeks and raiding on each char if you are really lucky and dont get energy.

LordofPwn

I'm typing up a one-paragraph-each review of the two raids (to be finished tonight after my group fucks Crota up hardcore)... but you could have just written its TL:DR. Right on the nose.

I look forward to reading it. include it in the OT so i can find it cause this thread moves fast. Also if your group still can't topple what the hive call a god, i've got a crota save i'd like to use up tonight if you still need it, or if you just want to fuck him up again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are you talking about me specifically? Because a level 6 can still get destroyed by a 30 in regular Crucible. Your progress is only invalidated in a very basic sense.
I meant your statistical progression; increasing your Attack or Defense value has no impact
And I never said that Destiny and Borderlands were even close to the same game. I don't even like Borderlands. Of course they feel different to play. No one's disputing that.

I'm not even sure what you're even arguing at this point. Before you were saying that Destiny doesn't have anything too worry about with regards to competitors, and now your point is that Destiny is a genre in and of itself? That was your argument this whole time?
I started talking about comparisons to other games because it was mentioned that Destiny has a very little amount of content, and the usefulness of that claim is marred because I wasn't sure what game I should be comparing it to.
Didn't this whole conversation start because you couldn't understand why people would bitch about a game they enjoy playing?
no :-/ sorry if I gave that impression, my bad.

Namikaze1

I killed a Blade of Crota.
Something pops up on the right side ofthe screen. I'm starting to freak out only for it to be a Black Wax Idol. Fuck you!

Great VOG raid tonight (once we got through the first bit).

Still seems weird Atheon gave me two helmets. Oh well, got Pradyth's Revenge, Found Verdict and the Sparrow, and got the shards needed for 31, so I'm pretty happy.

same. he's just giving away helms. first time i've seen it happen

EL CUCO

I'm sitting here wondering why most of us are still so low on glimmer. We were never so broke when it was time to upgrade Vex Raid gear and such.

Then I remembered that most of us are spending alot of time on the Hive Raid, which gives ZERO glimmer... Why couldn't they atleast make the yellow bar enemies drop glimmer..?

Matchew

Is the Universal Remote any good? Played around with for a little bit and it seemed like hot trash. Anything good about it?

Bladelaw

I'm hoping to run stuff tonight after work. Definitely Nightfall and weekly, hopefully CE. Worst case I can solo up to the Deathsinger and hopefully snag some raid gear. My first run was shards/energy all the way down.

LFG site is appalling. Crota's End postings are filled with:

"LVL31+ only, must have Gjal/IB. No newbs" etc.

Any other raid groups forming? I have Crota CP and have a bit of time to try him now. Would really like to take him out.

LordofPwn

Is the Universal Remote any good? Played around with for a little bit and it seemed like hot trash. Anything good about it?

if you want to shotgun and snipe in crucible its nice. but its worse than found verdict in almost every single way, and only fun to use in PVE on low level encounters.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I look forward to reading it. include it in the OT so i can find it cause this thread moves fast. Also if your group still can't topple what the hive call a god, i've got a crota save i'd like to use up tonight if you still need it,
oh, we are taking him the fuck down.
or if you just want to fuck him up again.
there we go. sold!

We're rolling at 9:00PM est, but we are starting from the very beginning so I dunno exactly how long it'll take us.

most of what i've learned has come from time investment and other players who have shared their knowledge with the community. that is a constant and is fortunately the benefit of having an aggressive fanbase.
Some of that sniping talent has gotta be genetic!
i appreciate the accessibility of the game because it allows me to play with a larger variety of players - including friends who'd normally not play shooters - so i understand the direction bungie went.
Yeah, exactly. There's a middle spectrum of content that can be kinda-sorta done with an enormously broad range of skill levels in the party, and done comfortably with just one very skilled player- which makes the overall accessibility level quite high even if it might not always seem like it.
even so, i think they're underestimating the fanbase and have not done enough to facilitate the interactivity that could bridge the gap between challenging content and the consistently rewarding experience they strive for.

i mean, there are more complex MMOs designed for kids, but they don't intentionally stop them from communicating and figuring out ways to tackle challenges.

Yeah, that's valid and an exceptionally good point. the "arcadey" strikes would be very nicely complemented with some that teach individual raid or raid-like mechanics and do require either voice or active nonverbal communication, but don't need the time investment of a raid.

if you want to shotgun and snipe in crucible its nice. but its worse than found verdict in almost every single way, and only fun to use in PVE on low level encounters.

I once had 2 of them drop for me in a single VoG. Someone else had a hard on for it and said he'd trade a Vex and TLW for it if we could. Damn you Bungie.

Top Bottom