• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

patchday

I can't imagine putting a controller in the hands of a hardcore raider from WoW, saying "here's another raid, check it out" and sending them into Crota's End expecting them to get something similar out of the experience.

These are enormously better examples. I'm surprised no one mentioned Borderlands before. On paper, it has an enormous amount in common minus the competitive elements.

But in going back and playing it after Destiny, it really doesn't feel that similar to me or scratch the same itch. I'd be interested to hear if other people feel that it does, though.

I don't even know where to start. They are certainly not both classified as online RPGs.

Guild Wars 2 is probably the single game I have put the most time into in my life. I believe it to be the substantially better game when compared to Destiny. But the two are not particularly comparable... at all. No one was forced into raiding in GW2 because there was no raiding. There are still to this day no raids at all. I'm assuming by Battlegrounds you mean WvW; ironically enough at launch both PvP and PvE players that wanted a legendary weapon did need to enter WvW for the Gift of Battle, but that's really neither here nor there. There is no crafting in Destiny. Destiny does not have an open world. Character progression in GW2 completely de-emphasizes vertical progression to the point where seeking true best-in-slot items is basically a vanity exercise. The toughest group content in the game can be completely in gear two tiers below the top or even less with sufficient skill. Guild Wars 2 employs a suite of refined social elements and derives a lot of fun from guilds and server interaction neither of which have any impact in Destiny at all.

They use disparate design decisions almost every step of the way.

Well, at the very least, I'm totally with you on item transmutation. It's the feature I personally want added most. I save skins I like just on the sliver of a chance it is ever added.

I've seen you post in the GW2 thread so I'm definitely not going to try to attempt to change your mind if you feel that way :)

Yeah I really need to try Borderlands I'd probably fall in love with it. Just hoping for a PS4 version

Warframe vs Destiny- Yeah hands down Destiny has more variety of content. Now, in my mind Warframe's controls are even more fluid but Destiny has more of a story, etc. Warframe is a lot more akin to Mass Effect 3 MP (horde mode).

Destiny has more content than both those shooters though.

at this point, I have abandoned all hope of Destiny ever having a compelling narrative. the surrounding lore is solid and nice to pore over, but there's just really nothing here in terms of story.

I should probably do the same. Coming from being a hardcore Halo fan, I got so wrapped up in the universe Bungie built there. I read all the books, dove deep into the fiction, got wrapped up in it. Still enjoying the universe with 343 at the reigns.

I guess coming to Destiny, I expected story of that quality. A really rich sci-fi universe to fall in love with. With Destiny, though, the game doesn't live off the quality of its story. It's the gameplay and the loot.

The lore is there, buried in the grimoire and whatnot, but they don't care to drive the game with it because it just doesn't matter.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Anyone for nightfall and weekly? Once we get to Phogoth I'm going to switch to my hunter alt. PSN Daraman

edit: Or I'll just solo them and someone can jump in when I'm at the end.

I really think it is going to come down to personal preference. I need to do lots more CE to be sure, but I believe it will be my preferred of the two as well.

Ultimately, I'm glad they are very different and both in the game

I really love the variety of the VoG encounters. So many different mechanics and roles need to be learned. Environmental puzzles and teleporting to boot. Bugs aside, the Gatekeeper and Atheon fight are very well designed and keep you on your toes. Splitting the team up is a particularly cool moment to overcome.

CE so far just feels like a drawn out strike with waves of adds thrown at you. I have yet to beat Crota, but the fight mechanic is cool at first but will feel far less interesting than time stream warps after umpteen clears.

Manp

Posted? Full Titan Raid Gear (found on Reddit, not mine):

RkFq1J9.jpg

jesus that looks ugly as fuck. and what the hell is that helmet supposed to be? crota's ass hole? :|

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Destiny is a mix of genres, but that doesn't mean you can't compare it to anything because they're not exactly the same. Saying so is just intellectually dishonest.
If I said you can't compare it to anything then I definitely fucked up, because obviously that is both demonstrably untrue at face value and ridiculous.

I'm saying there aren't any good comparisons I can think of. Borderlands is honestly the best I can come up with. Is that intellectually dishonest?

Vault of Glass is definitely a Raid. It's unrefined and sometimes drags on, but at the same time it's challenging and complex. Crota's End feels like what the Strikes should have been. Action-packed beginning to end with fun puzzles that are still fairly easy to understand.

I like them both and the fact that they're different, but if nothing else, CE has made me appreciate VoG more.

crota is tense, fast paced and seemingly over in the blink of an eye.
vog is more relaxed at times, slower paced and seems to drag on until the end.

i felt like in vog there was much more to "explore" and stare in awe at. crota's end is beautiful in it's own right and the final boss battle stage is awesome. bridge part was well designed if you play it legit and lots of fun to do. fuck that witch though.

being the swordbearer is intense, you really feel the pressure the last sword round. your palms are sweaty, knees weak arms are heavy theres wolfpack rounds hitting crota already, hive spaghetti

they both call for different kinds of liqour

... clap... clap... clap... bravo on that Eminem reference.

i felt like in vog there was much more to "explore" and stare in awe at. crota's end is beautiful in it's own right and the final boss battle stage is awesome. bridge part was well designed if you play it legit and lots of fun to do. fuck that witch though.

being the swordbearer is intense, you really feel the pressure the last sword round. your palms are sweaty, knees weak arms are heavy theres wolfpack rounds hitting crota already, hive spaghetti

hive spaghetti

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Vault of Glass is definitely a Raid. It's unrefined, but at the same time complex. Crota's End feels like what the Strikes should have been. Action-packed beginning to end but still fairly easy to understand.

I like them both and the fact that they're different, but if nothing else, CE has made me appreciate VoG more.

Sums how exactly how I feel. If all the strikes were like CE, then this game would be legendary. And it's really how it should be and how I expected them to be. As it is, strikes are just story missions. No more, no less.

cilonen

I'm actually interested in both. I dunno what perks the vendor TFWPKY has though, gotta look into it. What does that stand for anyway.

It's a quote from the 1969 Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid movie "The fall will probably kill you". :)

Is the Necrochasm drop nerfed from the Blade Kinght at the start of Fist of Crota? I've been running that for about 40 mins and nothing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've seen you post in the GW2 thread so I'm definitely not going to try to attempt to change your mind if you feel that way :)

Yeah I really need to try Borderlands I'd probably fall in love with it. Just hoping for a PS4 version

Warframe vs Destiny- Yeah hands down Destiny has more variety of content. Now, in my mind Warframe's controls are even more fluid but Destiny has more of a story, etc. Warframe is a lot more akin to Mass Effect 3 MP (horde mode).

Hm, I played Warframe for a few hours but the controls didn't click with me at all. Is it better with a gamepad or mouse and keyboard?
Vault of Glass is definitely a Raid. It's unrefined but at the same time complex. CE feels like what the Strikes should have been. Action-packed beginning to end but still fairly easy to understand.
I can see why you'd want that and I essentially agree at a personal level, but strikes were designed to be much easier content, requiring very little communication in comparison and fostering the ability for one skilled player to "carry" the others. Even with the lower degree of overall complexity compared to VoG it would be substantially difficult for a random, non-communicating group to make any progress in CE.

If I said you can't compare it to anything then I definitely fucked up, because obviously that is both demonstrably untrue at face value and ridiculously.

I'm saying there aren't any good comparisons I can think of. Borderlands is honestly the best I can come up with. Is that intellectually dishonest?

No, but you did make that post after mine so I'll give you that. It's the way you're brushing off other examples as if there's nothing to compare is what's intellectually dishonest.

Destiny has been compared to Borderlands since it came out because they have a lot of similarities. Doesn't mean you can't compare specific parts to other games considering most of Destiny's design ideas have been taken from other games.

Rsinart

Heya, anyone looking to do something? Have off this afternoon and I am bored. lvl 30 h. Raids, Nightfalls, Weekly? Invite: Rsin

spyder_ur

Well played.

I'm tempted to say CE is more fun, but in some ways I think VoG is more well designed and replayable.

Almost always bourbon for me.

zewone

It's a quote from the 1969 Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid movie "The fall will probably kill you". :)

Is the Necrochasm drop nerfed from the Blade Kinght at the start of Fist of Crota? I've been running that for about 40 mins and nothing.
I did it for 90 minutes. Other users have stated it took them over four hours. Have fun.

Just bought the Borderlands 2 Vita bundle... it arrived today (just in time for Christmas... that remote play, just in case Xur has the horn).

I played Borderlands 2 when it first came out but I couldn't get into it for some reason. I'm going to give it another go on the Vita to see if anything changes. I've never played a game like Borderlands on a handheld so I'm interested to see how that works too.

Sums how exactly how I feel. If all the strikes were like CE, then this game would be legendary. And it's really how it should be and how I expected them to be. As it is, strikes are just story missions. No more, no less.

I think it's clear at this point that Bungie wants the strikes to be as accessible as possible so that they can be matchmade. The bosses are 1 dimensional and there are no unique mechanics so it's easy to pick up. If it was more challenging, a random group probably wouldn't consistently clear it in 10-20 minutes.

i've seen similar stuff in other MMOs, but the dungeons you'd grind before you do a raid weren't nearly as barebones as Destiny's strikes. Had voice chat been around from the onset, it wouldn't have taken long for strategies in more difficult strikes to trickle down. That's what a community does when there is challenging content. Now everyone's used to doing their own thing so nobody cares.

I can see why you'd want that and I essentially agree at a personal level, but strikes were designed to be much easier content, requiring very little communication in comparison and fostering the ability for one skilled player to "carry" the others. Even with the lower degree of overall complexity compared to VoG it would be substantially difficult for a random, non-communicating group to make any progress in CE.

It'd only help the game. If Bungie really wants this to be a co-op game, they have to prioritize clever encounters that require teamwork over content that you can carry yourself through with weaker teammates. And again, things like voice chat and other battle-specific emotes would have benefited that cooperation.

The strikes will always be held back until Bungie changes their approach. In the long run i think it hurts the game if you're softening content rather than encouraging team building and strategy sharing.

True. Fuck them too.

Eh, they're frustrating in their own ways.

Wizards like to fucking hide.

I am relieved at how few wizards there are in the raid. It gave me a lot of anxiety thinking about it. The 3rd section was pretty tricky with the few it has. Bungie could have trolled us hard with them, but it seemed very fair. Maybe Hard mode will be different.

realcZk

i feel weird already having two pieces of raid gear and not even finishing the raid entirely twice...

got boots our first blind clear and got chest from the intro part last night for my warlock, its so sexy

Izuna

Banned
Levelling Husk of the Pit sucks. Are there any tips for it? I have been doing the LV4 Earth mission and dying but it takes. so. long.

Someone please tell me Majors give more XP.

patchday

Hm, I played Warframe for a few hours but the controls didn't click with me at all. Is it better with a gamepad or mouse and keyboard?.

I always played with a gamepad. Granted it's a 3rd person shooter. I just love being able to jump & slide along with the wall running.

I would go back and play it a bit -but- they frakked up the character transfers. There was just a small window to transfer my characters from PC to PS4 that I see I missed

raindoc

Levelling Husk of the Pit sucks. Are there any tips for it? I have been doing the LV4 Earth mission and dying but it takes. so. long.

Someone please tell me Majors give more XP.

wake the hive, make the four yellow acolytes your priority. ~10 repeats if you start from scratch.

E92 M3

Rofl

--

I agree about all of the talks on armor variety. It's very unfortunate we will all look the same to be level 32. They should definitely allow use to use different pieces with higher properties, but that'll require more work.

Rofl
I agree about all of the talks on armor variety. It's very unfortunate we will all look the same to be level 32. They should definitely allow use to use different pieces with higher properties, but that'll require more work.

Transmogrification, problem solved.

Izuna

Banned
wake the hive, make the four yellow acolytes your priority. ~10 repeats if you start from scratch.

Uhhhhhhh... So majors do count, thanks.

Guys please practice the sword outside of Crota. If you tap you will miss frames to do the next attack, if you time it right you can make it more rapid. Or if you have turbo...

I haven't tested but you can get one air melee and instant RT if you time that right too, though I think because it isn't consistent there isn't any point.

i feel weird already having two pieces of raid gear and not even finishing the raid entirely twice...

got boots our first blind clear and got chest from the intro part last night for my warlock, its so sexy

How do you think I feel after playing the same amount as you (give or take)? I have all three raid gear pieces on my hunter, the raid RL, and the raid sniper.

I feel great. Fucking great.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No, but you did make that post after mine so I'll give you that. It's the way you're brushing off other examples as if there's nothing to compare is what's intellectually dishonest.
I really am trying not to brush a single example off at all. I'm attempting to give every single one I see mentioned due consideration.

But Diablo 3 and especially Guild Wars 2 are REALLY, really ridiculously different games. Destiny is first and foremost a shooter. Come on now. A lot of the time you spend in Destiny, you're in competitive multiplayer matches where statistical progression is invalidated. You learn the flow of the maps, you get good sightlines, you get headshots, you get ammo spawns. At these moments Destiny has way more in common with Titanfall or Quake than with WoW. I know you realize this. And Borderlands- which is a shooter, has all the character progression elements, has loot drops- doesn't have those competitive elements. Of course, it also lacks (at least in the first game and first DLC, I'm only halfway through BL2) anything comparable to Destiny's raids. And just feels really different to me, just mechanically and aesthetically.

Destiny has been compared to Borderlands since it came out because they have a lot of similarities. Doesn't mean you can't compare specific parts to other games considering most of Destiny's design ideas have been taken from other games.
But, this is my point right here. You're making my point. You can adequately compare specific parts of Destiny to some games and other parts to other games. But overall: ?

I haven't heard anyone say it yet but I think a stronger case could be made that Destiny started a new subgenre of shooter, inspired by games from a large variety of other genres. The "raid shooter" maybe.

LordofPwn

at this point, I have abandoned all hope of Destiny ever having a compelling narrative. the surrounding lore is solid and nice to pore over, but there's just really nothing here in terms of story.

I very much like this post

The VoG is a dive into the lore and mysteries of the Vex, you don't know what lies around the next bend. - Curiosity

Crotas end is a precision strike to take out an imminent threat at all costs. - Adrenaline

Top Bottom