• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

I'm sitting here wondering why most of us are still so low on glimmer. We were never so broke when it was time to upgrade Vex Raid gear and such.

Then I remembered that most of us are spending alot of time on the Hive Raid, which gives ZERO glimmer... Why couldn't they atleast make the yellow bar enemies drop glimmer..?

I'm just now finally caught up, after upgrading 3 exotics from Xur and upgrading a bunch of weapons/armor this week. And by caught up, I mean I don't have upgrades waiting on glimmer. I think I'm up to 8K. I now use consumables whenever I'm doing anything for an extended period of time. I can't handle glimmer farming again.

gatti-man

I'm sitting here wondering why most of us are still so low on glimmer. We were never so broke when it was time to upgrade Vex Raid gear and such.

Then I remembered that most of us are spending alot of time on the Hive Raid, which gives ZERO glimmer... Why couldn't they atleast make the yellow bar enemies drop glimmer..?

You know why. Grind grind grind. Saw that we were all hoarding our glimmer boosters. Plus people exploited that too.

Zakalwe

Banned
The core hook in Destiny is that it feels good to shoot things. Or people. Preferably in the head.

No it isn't. This game would not stand up if you removed the loot. I'm pretty much certain of this.

The core shooting is very good, but the environments and actual encounters range from incredibly bland to great. The great stuff isn't in high abundance, which is the problem.

Destiny is about shooting stuff minute to minute, but the lure that keeps us shooting is the loot.

Online. Enemy encounter design in MMORPGs with calculation-and-cooldown based combat is dramatically de-emphasized compared to a first person shooter. And so on. Furthermore in games where the core moment-to-moment gameplay isn't as solid, the "how the various systems have been implemented" becomes far more important- because the gameplay isn't as solid.

You can do that but you'd be misleading people pretty much out of the gate. I cannot imagine Destiny and any traditional MMORPG having the same appeal, targeting the same core audience, relying on the same aspects of their design to encourage longtidunal play, etc.

Let's take the concept of a "raid" full stop, as though you can just compare a raid in WoW and a raid in Destiny and say which is objectively better. Do they really have that much in common? Don't raids in WoW require classes slotted into roles in the Holy Trinity? Do they ever hinge on how good certain players are at headshots or how much ammunition you have left? At the point in its lifecycle Destiny is at now, weren't WoW raids 40-man endeavors requiring a full guild to participate in? Do they instance all the tangible rewards (loot drops)? Do they have checkpoints you can return to later in the week? It's been a while since I paid much attention to WoW, certainly, but even if half of these things have changed in the meantime to be more similar to the way Destiny works, is it a helpful comparison?

I can't imagine putting a controller in the hands of a hardcore raider from WoW, saying "here's another raid, check it out" and sending them into Crota's End expecting them to get something similar out of the experience.

These are enormously better examples. I'm surprised no one mentioned Borderlands before. On paper, it has an enormous amount in common minus the competitive elements.

But in going back and playing it after Destiny, it really doesn't feel that similar to me or scratch the same itch. I'd be interested to hear if other people feel that it does, though.

I don't even know where to start. They are certainly not both classified as online RPGs.

Guild Wars 2 is probably the single game I have put the most time into in my life. I believe it to be the substantially better game when compared to Destiny. But the two are not particularly comparable... at all. No one was forced into raiding in GW2 because there was no raiding. There are still to this day no raids at all. I'm assuming by Battlegrounds you mean WvW; ironically enough at launch both PvP and PvE players that wanted a legendary weapon did need to enter WvW for the Gift of Battle, but that's really neither here nor there. There is no crafting in Destiny. Destiny does not have an open world. Character progression in GW2 completely de-emphasizes vertical progression to the point where seeking true best-in-slot items is basically a vanity exercise. The toughest group content in the game can be completely in gear two tiers below the top or even less with sufficient skill. Guild Wars 2 employs a suite of refined social elements and derives a lot of fun from guilds and server interaction neither of which have any impact in Destiny at all.

All of he above is /incredibly/ pedantic.

Destiny has the best core combat I've experienced in a long time. It has the lure of loot acquisition to keep you hooked while you repeat the same gameplay loop over and over.

The rest of it is either subpar or underdeveloped: NPC interactions, story, crafting, enemy encounters in general, pvp, etc...

These can easily and absolutely should be compared with other game that use similar systems. You can debate the differences and how each game supports them, but you can also compare and see how aspects of systems from certain games could be implemented to improve another. For example: a token system for raid armor like some MMORPGs have.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.

GRR last post of the page has struck again

What is this husk thing you all are talking about

ob_09826e_destiny-nechrochasm-evolution.jpg

It's for the Necrochasm exotic AR.

to get the first one to drop

jbShYpy.jpg

you need to kill the Blades of Crota knights. you find them out in patrol on earth or the moon, but it's quicker to farm them on the Fist of Crota DLC mission.

Select the mission (doesn't matter the difficulty) and speed passed all of the adds into the building. When you round the corner you'll see the 3 acolytes doing their ritual. Kill them and the knight who spawns with the sword. After he dies (pick up the sword for good measure) you'll see the Husk of the Pit pop up on the right side of your screen. If it doesn't show up, you have to return to orbit and do it again. Or just give up after an hour and hit up patrol like I did.

After you get it, you need to kill a bunch of hive to unlock the first upgrade (Wake the hive on The Dark Beyond if you want to do it fast. takes 10-15 minutes). However, to unlock the next stage, you need to be Rank 3 with Eris to buy an item to upgrade. Fastest way to do that is to double up on your bounties - do them during the daily reset at 4am EST, and then do them again later in the day.

LordofPwn

LFG site is appalling. Crota's End postings are filled with:

"LVL31+ only, must have Gjal/IB. No newbs" etc.

Any other raid groups forming? I have Crota CP and have a bit of time to try him now. Would really like to take him out.

Never used it. always try my clan or GAF. You only need 1 lvl 31 and great communication/people doing their roles. is it way easier with all 31s with G-thangs and IBs, yup, but sometimes you can take crotas shields down too quickly and then that's not good.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Any other raid groups forming? I have Crota CP and have a bit of time to try him now. Would really like to take him out.

Not really appalling, as those things really do make the encounter a lot easier. Well, Ballerhorn and having a few 31s does. You don't "need" IB, as I think a legendary sniper can do knight duty.

gatti-man

No it isn't. This game would not stand up if you removed the loot. I'm pretty much certain of this.

The core shooting is very good, but the environments and actual encounters range from incredibly bland to great. The great stuff isn't in high abundance, which is the problem.

Destiny is about shooting stuff minute to minute, but the lure that keeps us shooting is the loot.

Destiny has the best core combat I've experienced in a long time. It has the lure of loot acquisition to keep you hooked while you repeat the same gameplay loop over and over.

The rest of it is either subpar or underdeveloped: NPC interactions, story, crafting, enemy encounters in general, pvp, etc...

These can easily and absolutely should be compared with other game that use similar systems. You can debate the differences and how each game supports them, but you can also compare and see how aspects of systems from certain games could be implemented to improve another. For example: a token system for raid armor like some MMORPGs have.

For me personally it's the shooting. If it was just for loot all I would do is raid and would never ever pvp.

Never used it. always try my clan or GAF. You only need 1 lvl 31 and great communication/people doing their roles. is it way easier with all 31s with G-thangs and IBs, yup, but sometimes you can take crotas shields down too quickly and then that's not good.

We tried for over an hour but could not get the coordination down. Barely got any attacks on him when down and never got a 2nd attack with a single sword. Plus, we could never agree on a strategy.

Yeah, its a jungle out there. I have picked up most of my CE groups from there.... no success killing him. I lol at the "NOOBS WILL GET BOOTED", people are ruthless.

Not really appalling, as those things really do make the encounter a lot easier. Well, Ballerhorn and having a few 31s does. You don't "need" IB, as I think a legendary sniper can do knight duty.

It's only appalling when you join the group and it's a bunch of 29s looking to get carried/cheese everything.

dB Viper

Yeah, its a jungle out there. I have picked up most of my CE groups from there.... no success killing him. I lol at the "NOOBS WILL GET BOOTED", people are ruthless.

Took me a few groups, but got him down. All groups were quite fun with the randoms... I've had some good luck with that site. I have added a ton of people to my FL from it as well.

Some of that sniping talent has gotta be genetic!

Yeah, exactly. There's a middle spectrum of content that can be kinda-sorta done with an enormously broad range of skill levels in the party, and done comfortably with just one very skilled player- which makes the overall accessibility level quite high even if it might not always seem like it.

Yeah, that's valid and an exceptionally good point. the "arcadey" strikes would be very nicely complemented with some that teach individual raid or raid-like mechanics and do require either voice or active nonverbal communication, but don't need the time investment of a raid.

it was probably latent and now that i'm on the DS4 it has emerged, lol. even when halo had a bunch of aim assist i could never aim as precisely. anyway

i'd love to see some of the raid mechanics in the strikes. that foreshadowing is how a designer eases the player into more challenging content. for example, if you had to stand on a sync plate to knock off the shield on the nexus mind, suddenly this fight is a degree more challenging and interesting, and now the player isn't clueless about how a sync plate works.

E92 M3

LFG is a last resort for me, but what else is there to do when everyone is not available? Took me all weekend to beat Crota (initially) because of LFG.

LordofPwn

oh, we are taking him the fuck down.

there we go. sold!

We're rolling at 9:00PM est, but we are starting from the very beginning so I dunno exactly how long it'll take us.

I should be on by 11PM EST, if you need an alt to fill in, if you haven't kicked his ass yet. or if you have already, then i'm sure we can find people to kill him again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No it isn't.This game would not stand up if you removed the loot. I'm pretty much certain of this.
I didn't mean to imply that it would, sorry. I meant that the core was the shooter gameplay, not that the supplementary systems could be removed and yield a similarly enjoyable or successful experience. I'm certain I would still have fun with such a game for a while, but it definitely would not be as popular.
yeah, that's reasonable.
Oh, well okay, that helps me understand your point of view more. I definitely disagree there- even though I became way more interested in collecting Exotics than I expected at launch. With the loot stuff improved dramatically, but the FPS gameplay made less solid, I'd probably have lost interest a long time ago.

These can easily and absolutely should be compared with other game that use similar systems.

alright, my apologies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's only appalling when you join the group and it's a bunch of 29s looking to get carried/cheese everything.

Haha, that is all too true on DestinyLFG. Happened a lot with VoG. I join the raid, and the raid starter is a level 28 who wants to get carried through hard mode.

EL CUCO

I'm just now finally caught up, after upgrading 3 exotics from Xur and upgrading a bunch of weapons/armor this week. And by caught up, I mean I don't have upgrades waiting on glimmer. I think I'm up to 8K. I now use consumables whenever I'm doing anything for an extended period of time. I can't handle glimmer farming again.

Exactly. Farming Glimmer sucks and considering they've patched certain farming sections before clearly shows that they don't like us doing that stuff. Some of these "design decisions" are so inconsistent that it boggles my mind.

You know why. Grind grind grind. Saw that we were all hoarding our glimmer boosters. Plus people exploited that too.

Like if we didn't already have 25,000 cap to share between 3 characters... Bungie plz.

GRR last post of the page has struck again

ob_09826e_destiny-nechrochasm-evolution.jpg

It's for the Necrochasm exotic AR.

to get the first one to drop

jbShYpy.jpg

you need to kill the Blades of Crota knights. you find them out in patrol on earth or the moon, but it's quicker to farm them on the Fist of Crota DLC mission.

Select the mission (doesn't matter the difficulty) and speed passed all of the adds into the building. When you round the corner you'll see the 3 acolytes doing their ritual. Kill them and the knight who spawns with the sword. After he dies (pick up the sword for good measure) you'll see the Husk of the Pit pop up on the right side of your screen. If it doesn't show up, you have to return to orbit and do it again. Or just give up after an hour and hit up patrol like I did.

After you get it, you need to kill a bunch of hive to unlock the first upgrade (Wake the hive on The Dark Beyond if you want to do it fast. takes 10-15 minutes). However, to unlock the next stage, you need to be Rank 3 with Eris to buy an item to upgrade. Fastest way to do that is to double up on your bounties - do them during the daily reset at 4am EST, and then do them again later in the day.

Appreciate the write-up, thank you!

Sounds like a lot of work...is it worth it?

I meant your statistical progression; increasing your Attack or Defense value has no impact

I started talking about comparisons to other games because it was mentioned that Destiny has a very little amount of content, and the usefulness of that claim is marred because I wasn't sure what game I should be comparing it to.

no :-/ sorry if I gave that impression, my bad.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Your class upgrades still make sure there's a gap.

Well, it does have little content. Hence why we have to do the same stuff ad infinitum. Comparing it to other games certainly won't help change that perspective. And saying it can only be compared to a very specific minority of games doesn't help the conversation.

There aren't many games like Titanfall, but that won't stop me thinking it has very little content.

I think I missed part of the conversation somewhere.

cilonen

I've worked out what one of my main gripes with the story and world in this game is...
We're supposed to be writing ourselves into legend but the Gunsmith doesn't even remember me from the next schmuck that runs by.

This is obviously a conceit because in a shared online world, not everyone can be the hero - and yet we're all supposed to be the hero. This is why the legends we hear of in the grimoire cards and referred to on exotics and class gear - Saint-14, Pahanin, Dredgen Yor and the adventures they had, like the battle of the six fronts, Kabr's discovery of the Vault of Glass, hell even Eris' failed mission to take on Crota - they all sound better and more legendary adventures than the one I'm actually having in the game.

And all this despite our player characters actually re-awakening the traveller, and succeeding where both Kabr and Eris respectively failed - and yet - we're expected to go back to the tower and meekly accept another set of bounties from the great Eris. Um, no. You accept bounties from me now, Eris. You do my shitty fetch quests. You long for months for the exotic gauntlets bearing my name to drop, the ones I used whilst punching Crota in the face.

And most of all, the Gunsmith speaking in hushed tones of my unique hand cannon means he finally knows my name.

gatti-man

We tried for over an hour but could not get the coordination down. Barely got any attacks on him when down and never got a 2nd attack with a single sword. Plus, we could never agree on a strategy.

Ghorn makes it easier. I've done all my runs this week but id be happy to help you get through. Psn gatti-man just add me and I'll give it my best shot.

How we do it is the sword bearer gets in position calls for ghorn and by the time the rockets get there he is next to Crota. When Crota stands 3 second count down and ghorns again for an instant kneel. This works in 1-3 tries usually. No hunter required.

Zakalwe

Banned
alright, my apologies.

No need to applogise, I just sensed we'd be going in circles with that particular point.

Don't get me wrong, I like this game a lot. I'm just aware that without the loot the actual content isn't hugely appealing for me, and that's a shame. I'd love to have a campaign that stood on its own like Halo CE, one that I could play over and over with no other reason but pure enjoyment of the encounters.

I'm happy you seem to have found that, I wish I had too.

I got the Husk of the Pit gun twice just farming for helium filaments and just now realized what it is. Is it supposedly rare? if so that's cool since I usually have pretty bad luck lol

Also- are Radiant Shards only available on Crota's End? or does Vault of Glass drop them now too? I threw out my other light +33 gloves thinking i'd be good with these without realizing i needed the shards :/

EDIT: *reads above* Oh. Neat! lol too bad I'm not even close to rank 2 with Eris :(

LordofPwn

Always need to designate roles and commit to a strategy or learn it. My 1st 2 Crota kills were all done Mid strat. then my next 2 were done Left strat. Left is easier for sword runner and generally faster, but everyone needs to be executing because you are more exposed. Mid strat is all about timing and sometimes you have to push up on swordbearer, but you are all pretty safe, hell even snipers can stay mid and be safe. But it's a team effort and everyone needs to do their part.

SharkJAW

Zoba said:
What do you mean by this? Doing the bounties of one day twice, somehow? Mind expanding on this?

forrest

formerly nacire
Exactly. People who are playing during the reset can do the Eris bounties twice. Kind of unfair for those of us in a time zone and with a life schedule that doesn't allow us to participate in this cheese. You have to be logged into destiny during the reset then the new bounties pop up and you do them and then you log off and log back on and then they pop up again and you get to do them twice.

Had no clue. Crazy, I guess there isn't an easy fix for it.

lunlunqq

wW0V8JL.png

Look at this picture... Look at it. It summarizes all that is wrong in this world!!!! In case you don't get it, Hawkmoon and Universal Remote control are the only two pre-DLC exotics I'm still missing... RNGesus is an Ahole!!!!!!!!!

patchday

Yeah that's how I see it as well.

What do you mean by this? Doing the bounties of one day twice, somehow? Mind expanding on this?

if you're logged in when the reset happens, you can do the bounties and turn them in. when you log back in later in the day, you should be able to do the same bounties agan. so you earn twice the XP

Top Bottom