• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Bladelaw

I get home from work around 5pm est and have the checkpoint for templar if you guys wanna hold out till then.

I also am in desperate need of fatebringer.

I can certainly hold out. I can also transfer it to an alt to hold the checkpoint for anyone else that wants it.
PSN fadeddream

Arrrammis

Ya it'd be nice to run around with a primary doing void for sure.
I have 77 wiz, Pradyths Revenge, new machine gun and of course, Voidwalker.
Voidwalker is the saviour for the warlock in this bounty.
Forgot how bad nova bomb pisses people off lol

I love having my nova bomb whenever I see a defender in their little bubble. Knock it out from half the map away, and let the vortex from the nova bomb kill everyone inside.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
what's a newbie raid?
I don't get it, lol
Any up to date leveling guides?.

I am on 28 and returned to give it another go. Anything I can do solo to get higher?
You can get all the way to 31 solo pretty easily.

New/upgraded Exotics from Xur- especially Helms- and the vendor gear can put you at and beyond 132 light, which is needed for 31. A variety of combos of old exotics, old raid gear, and even old non-raid gear can get you to 30+.

Check out this calculator/planner for starters and feel free to ask any questions that result!

Sullichin

Got an updated version of Gheleons Demise from IB. I was first place on the winning team too, I'm used to the guy with 0.03 K/D getting this stuff!

Deku Tree

If I do all Eris bounties every day then I can make it to Rank 3 in Nine Days.
Of course I am going to miss a few days due to the holiday.
Does the nightfall buff apply to Eris Rep?

I want to upgrade my Husk of the Pit.
The grind is real.

I was banking them for a while hoping to do them tomorrow but I recently realized their the same every day and if you wait until tomorrow to hand it in then you can't grab the tomorrow version so you miss out. So I fell behind some of you. Ugh.

If I do all Eris bounties every day then I can make it to Rank 3 in Nine Days.
Of course I am going to miss a few days due to the holiday.
Does the nightfall buff apply to Eris Rep?

I want to upgrade my Husk of the Pit.
The grind is real.

I was banking them for a while hoping to do them tomorrow but I recently realized their the same every day and if you wait until tomorrow to hand it in then you can't grab the tomorrow version so you miss out. So I fell behind some of you. Ugh.

Nightfall buff does apply to Eris rep.

Hey Hawkbro, did you guess knock it all out last night? Or did you have to stop at Crota? Also, did you guys have an easier time of the earlier portions getting there? Well, besides the bridge ;P How was it legit?

Does anyone else do a double take at Murmur in their inventory when mass dismantling greens/blues? The icon at a glance looks like a green. I almost did it once.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
what is this newbie raid you do at 9PM? are you just walking noobs from GAF through a raid?
Oh you were just really asking, my bad!

Yeah, every Thursday at 8:15 (pushing it a little later tonight) is a VoG raid intended especially for first timers or those who haven't raided much, but open to all and a good opportunity to try some roles that you may not be comfortable with even if you have run it all many times. The only condition is that people don't run them two weeks in a row so that many get to cycle through, and if I'm not mistaken, over 30 distinct Gaffers have gone through one of these runs. I'll put the relic in the hands of those who have never held it, show off strategies in Normal that hold up just fine in hard, and even squeeze in a little lore if I can manage it on time.

Generally speaking I have to say, I've done 10 or 12 of these up to this point and it's been a damn blast every time. Every single group has been composed of really good listeners and more than one of these groups, including ones containing people who had never been into the Vault, have made it to the Gatekeepers without a single wipe.

Up until now, these have merely been Normal runs, with a min level of 26 to get in- even room for a 25. From this point on, once signups are done each week I'm going to calculate an average level and make a judgment call on whether to go for Normal or Hard. Since 30 is approaching true accessibility in a rapid way, "Newbie Hard" runs aren't at all out of the question.

E92 M3

Does anyone else do a double take at Murmur in their inventory when mass dismantling greens/blues? The icon at a glance looks like a green. I almost did it once.

They should slow down legendary dismantling a bit slower, but not as slow as exotics. Small change but will be convenient.

LiK

Yeah, every Thursday at 8:15 (pushing it a little later tonight) is a VoG raid intended especially for first timers or those who haven't raided much, but open to all and a good opportunity to try some roles that you may not be comfortable with even if you have run it all many times. The only condition is that people don't run them two weeks in a row so that many get to cycle through, and if I'm not mistaken, over 30 distinct Gaffers have gone through one of these runs. I'll put the relic in the hands of those who have never held it, show off strategies in Normal that hold up just fine in hard, and even squeeze in a little lore if I can manage it on time.

Generally speaking I have to say, I've done 10 or 12 of these up to this point and it's been a damn blast every time. Every single group has been composed of really good listeners and more than one of these groups, including ones containing people who had never been into the Vault, have made it to the Gatekeepers without a single wipe.

Up until now, these have merely been Normal runs, with a min level of 26 to get in- even room for a 25. From this point on, once signups are done each week I'm going to calculate an average level and make a judgment call on whether to go for Normal or Hard. Since 30 is approaching true accessibility in a rapid way, "Newbie Hard" runs aren't at all out of the question.

Oh ok, cool. You're a pretty patient guy to help so many Gaffers.

Bacon

When do you start looking for signups on this? Just hit 25 last night I'll probably be 26-27 by thursday next week, and this sounds like a great way to get introduced to the raid!

LkPr

I have just hit lvl 30 (actually almost lvl 31 at this point) and I have NEVER done a hard VoG. Would love it it you ran one of these 'newbie' sessions on hard :)

Lima

So do you get bonus rep with Eris' class item, emblem and shader? I read somewhere that there is a bug and you only get bonus rep with two of three equipped however I didn't notice anything different.

I completed the Thorn bounty of 500 points of Void kills in the Iron Banner with Atheons Epilogue, Pradyths Revenge, and Truth and Titan Defender Void Gernades in 9 matches.

That was fun and made me appreciate an AR with ridiculous rate of fire.

Doing this now with my Hunter and didn't realize how much easier it was as my Warlock with Voidwalker. Having no void class it's taking me twice as long now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey Hawkbro, did you guess knock it all out last night? Or did you have to stop at Crota? Also, did you guys have an easier time of the earlier portions getting there? Well, besides the bridge ;P How was it legit?
Our original group didn't kill Crota, but I killed him twice as the Swordbearer by the end of the "night."

Earlier portions were many, many times easier and we were almost flawless on quite a few runs of the maze before the one that won it, so we're on our way for sure. The bridge is nuts with regard to how many different ways it can be tackled (and cheesed). We got it on our first try but things didn't go quite to plan ;)

Deathsinger coincided with major Destiny/login server issues that affected Palom and forced him to have to leave the run for the night... all in all this sequence cost us about an hour, really sucked :( But we learned a massive amount from the successful run we had on her- wins had us run one side, then the the other and we absolutely did have enough time.

Sword duty was a learning process for me but I started out with about 4% confidence, not really sure if it was even safe to get near Crota, and ended the night with 95% confidence and multiple occasions of 5 or 6 hits to his glowing ass. I have to say, I really love it. Being the swordbearer is an enormous amount of pressure and I can understand people largely disliking the design of the fight in putting so much emphasis on one person; however, the corollary is that the sensation of victory on the last run for the "relic holder"- compared to whoever it happens to be, holding L1 for Atheon- is really quite something. I would personally have to count my first sword kill as an instant favorite gaming memory, and I know there's tons of space to improve as well.

Speaking of which, one thing I'm going to start doing for CE eventually are "Sword Training Sessions," where the goal isn't even actually to get the kill- I'll call for a group of people interested in learning the sword to drop in immediately to the Crota checkpoint, and take turns handing off the sword with each round rather than having the same person do it every time. Stay tuned on this, I'm not quite at "sherpa" level for CE just yet ;)
When do you start looking for signups on this? Just hit 25 last night I'll probably be 26-27 by thursday next week, and this sounds like a great way to get introduced to the raid!
Um, usually on Tuesday morning of the week it happens, but I was a little on the procrastinating side and haven't done this week's yet (have some pre-signed up though).

Next week's would be on Christmas. I'm a member of the Jewture War Cult so that doesn't bother me in the least bit but we'll see if there's actually interest. A Very Merry Vault of Tinsel run perhaps.
Oh ok, cool. You're a pretty patient guy to help so many Gaffers.
Aw thank you!

FyreWulff

If I'm up and available Hawkian, I'd like to join in on that. I still have never used the relic on any part of the Vault because others were always higher level and always kept me outside on the portals pre-patch

phen0m24

Definitely had fun. I hope I don't slow you guys down. I'm really trying to learn from you all. Shout out to wins on the right side left side strategy because that worked handsomely on No Loot.

And after a few swipes (literally) at Crota I was burned out. Like Palom said, I was just dang wiped. If you guys need me Sunday let me know.
(I'm assuming Squall will be back in the rotation)

Sword school? Sign me up!

Can't wait to get to the point when I feel like I'm contributing to crushing it. Definitely some sword superheroes around here. :)

I don't get it, lol

You can get all the way to 31 solo pretty easily.

New/upgraded Exotics from Xur- especially Helms- and the vendor gear can put you at and beyond 132 light, which is needed for 31. A variety of combos of old exotics, old raid gear, and even old non-raid gear can get you to 30+.

Check out this calculator/planner for starters and feel free to ask any questions that result!

Thanks Hawkian, your guises were very useful in the past will take a look.

Is there any 'easier' way to get ascendant materials since the update, and what is th r best way?

I have fully leveled up Legendary and Exotic items. I just don't have the ascendant materials to complete the upgrades.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Definitely had fun. I hope I don't slow you guys down. I'm really trying to learn from you all. Shout out to wins on the right side left side strategy because that worked handsomely on No Loot.

And after a few swipes (literally) at Crota I was burned out. Like Palom said, I was just dang wiped. If you guys need me Sunday let me know.
(I'm assuming Squall will be back in the rotation)

Sword school? Sign me up!

Can't wait to get to the point when I feel like I'm contributing to crushing it. Definitely some sword superheroes around here. :)
Yeah, my original group- or those who can make it- are reconvening on Sunday at 9:00PM for the kill, and this time I PROMISE to be on point with the sword, which I couldn't do for our first few. There were entire crucial access and safe points I didn't know about until multiple hours in. Furthermore, I learned exactly how different the role of the swordbearer is when using the Center saferoom strat versus Left side strat- as a Hunter, oh my god, please left side, please. The extra variables (Boomer Knight duty/Cursed Thrall visitation) are soooo worth the consistent access to Crota's weak squishy spots.

edit: I mention "as a hunter" because Titans can Hercules Jump from ground level Crota which changes everything. In fact, valuable as stealth is for this, all three classes have legit advantages for the sword.

Is there any 'easier' way to get ascendant materials since the update, and what is th r best way?

I have fully leveled up Legendary and Exotic items. I just don't have the ascendant materials to complete the upgrades.
Raid! :D Are you comfortable with the Vault of Glass? When you hit 30, you can even run Hard mode without much worry in a good group.

Deku Tree

Sword duty was a learning process for me but I started out with about 4% confidence, not really sure if it was even safe to get near Crota, and ended the night with 95% confidence and multiple occasions of 5 or 6 hits to his glowing ass. I have to say, I really love it. Being the swordbearer is an enormous amount of pressure and I can understand people largely disliking the design of the fight in putting so much emphasis on one person; however, the corollary is that the sensation of victory on the last run for the "relic holder- compared to whoever it happens to be, holding L1 for Atheon- is really quite something. I would personally have to count my first sword kill as an instant favorite gaming memory, and I know there's tons of space to improve as well.

One thing they could have done is to make it so that each player could only handle the sword one time during the fight (others have also said this). Although I can imagine reasons why this would have been problematic too... seems they could have solved the potential problems. Players could institute a rule themselves where people take turns with the sword but many gamers just want to get it done and would rather just let the largest proven expert wield the sword. This is really my main issue with the Crota encounter. The majority of the fun is had by the Samurai and everyone else is less important.

After Bungie implemented random teleports in the Atheon Encounter to try to force everyone to fully experience all the roles in the fight, I am really surprised that Bungie designed the Crota encounter as so much of a "all star MVP samurai" type of fight. Even more so after the bridge section where they force all the players to get in on the Samurai action. It is disappointing.

Speaking of which, one thing I'm going to start doing for CE eventually are "Sword Training Sessions," where the goal isn't even actually to get the kill- I'll call for a group of people interested in learning the sword to drop in immediately to the Crota checkpoint, and take turns handing off the sword with each round rather than having the same person do it every time. Stay tuned on this, I'm not quite at "sherpa" level for CE just yet ;)

That's really good of you! It is probably fun too.

matmanx1

Xur should sell Thunderlord for me.

And me too! I've never actually seen anyone using a Thunderlord except for last IB when some guy was wrecking most of our team with one. I guess it must be very rare?

The rewards seem completely worthless to me but I'm playing for the XP and I do like competing in the IB, though it would be nice to get something extra from it.

Got an updated version of Gheleons Demise from IB. I was first place on the winning team too, I'm used to the guy with 0.03 K/D getting this stuff!

Nice to know the IB weapons are still dropping. I would love to have an updated Timur's Lash or Jolden's Hammer. I'm having a blast in IB so far as the level of competition is higher and when I do well it is a sweet sensation indeed. I'm going to buy the new IB boots and the sniper rifle although I'm not sure which element I want it to be. I don't have Icebreaker so I may just leave it at the default fire spec.

Best way to get mats is run VoG raid weekly. 2nd is to do the dailies and do a public event each day.

Top Bottom