• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Atkison04

Check out this calculator/planner for starters and feel free to ask any questions that result![/QUOTE]

Holy crap man, first time I've seen that planner...I had no idea I could use 1 piece of VOG gear and still hit level 31. I'm keeping the VOG boots for all my dudes for that extra heavy ammo. I wish I would have known that before I scrapped my hunters boots :/ Thanks for posting that Hawkian!

Deku Tree

What rank are you now?

I am rank 2. I need slightly less than 1900 rep to get to Rank 3. I think Nine days was too many. Probably 6-7 days or less depending upon how much rep each bounty has... BTW how much rep do you usually get each day if you do all the Eris bounties (without any buffs)? Is the amount of potential Rep the same every day?

Oh you were just really asking, my bad!

Yeah, every Thursday at 8:15 (pushing it a little later tonight) is a VoG raid intended especially for first timers or those who haven't raided much, but open to all and a good opportunity to try some roles that you may not be comfortable with even if you have run it all many times. The only condition is that people don't run them two weeks in a row so that many get to cycle through, and if I'm not mistaken, over 30 distinct Gaffers have gone through one of these runs. I'll put the relic in the hands of those who have never held it, show off strategies in Normal that hold up just fine in hard, and even squeeze in a little lore if I can manage it on time.

Generally speaking I have to say, I've done 10 or 12 of these up to this point and it's been a damn blast every time. Every single group has been composed of really good listeners and more than one of these groups, including ones containing people who had never been into the Vault, have made it to the Gatekeepers without a single wipe.

Up until now, these have merely been Normal runs, with a min level of 26 to get in- even room for a 25. From this point on, once signups are done each week I'm going to calculate an average level and make a judgment call on whether to go for Normal or Hard. Since 30 is approaching true accessibility in a rapid way, "Newbie Hard" runs aren't at all out of the question.

I'd be interested in joining a newbie hard raid for VoG! Finished it on normal 3-4 times but never tried hard mode.

X-Frame

I realized that you can hit Level 31 with all raid gear but without actually investing any Radiant Shards by maxing your exotic piece (+36 Light) and then just upgrading the raid armor piece up until the last radiant armor upgrades (+32 Light each) which precisely equals 132 Total Light and Level 31.

Personally, I'd rather spend the Exotic Shard on an exotic armor piece I know I will be using (Ruin Wings, Armamentarium, etc) and saving my Radiant Shards as much as possible in case raid armor drops with better stats.

There is no point in investing any Radiant Shards until you have enough and all 3 raid pieces to hit Level 32 anyway.

LordofPwn

Ugh, I'm way behind on Destiny this week. still have 2 nightfalls, 3 heroics, 1 full raid, and 1st 2 checkpoints left to do, which will come after finishing up holiday shopping, and working overtime...

Ourobolus

Banned
hey whatever happened to Dax?

good point. oops.
Check out this calculator/planner for starters and feel free to ask any questions that result!

Holy crap man, first time I've seen that planner...I had no idea I could use 1 piece of VOG gear and still hit level 31. I'm keeping the VOG boots for all my dudes for that extra heavy ammo. I wish I would have known that before I scrapped my hunters boots :/ Thanks for posting that Hawkian![/QUOTE]

Dammit, someone stole the thing I made in Google Docs! :p
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kVFii9pkgnY-jR2V0lBAdw7AuVYCJw-b-8AAkFhz6KY/edit?usp=sharing (not updated for DLC).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dax is taking a bit of a break from NeoGAF in general guys. I believe her account name is changed, but it's really none of my business to specify any more than that, as I don't know her wishes with regard to this community in particular

edit: ah
Check out this calculator/planner for starters and feel free to ask any questions that result!

Holy crap man, first time I've seen that planner...I had no idea I could use 1 piece of VOG gear and still hit level 31. I'm keeping the VOG boots for all my dudes for that extra heavy ammo. I wish I would have known that before I scrapped my hunters boots :/ Thanks for posting that Hawkian!
That's how my Titan is hitting 31 too. Such an incredibly useful tool, thank you soo much to creator Kaphis.

E92 M3

I realized that you can hit Level 31 with all raid gear but without actually investing any Radiant Shards by maxing your exotic piece (+36 Light) and then just upgrading the raid armor piece up until the last radiant armor upgrades (+32 Light each) which precisely equals 132 Total Light and Level 31.

Personally, I'd rather spend the Exotic Shard on an exotic armor piece I know I will be using (Ruin Wings, Armamentarium, etc) and saving my Radiant Shards as much as possible in case raid armor drops with better stats.

There is no point in investing any Radiant Shards until you have enough and all 3 raid pieces to hit Level 32 anyway.

Exactly what I'm doing. I'll go to 32 once I can do it all at once and make sure the armor has good stat distribution. Either way, though I'll be waiting until all of the radiant shards are acquired. No point in doing preemptive upgrades.

MADGAME

I am rank 2. I need slightly less than 1900 rep to get to Rank 3. I think Nine days was too many. Probably 6-7 days or less depending upon how much rep each bounty has... BTW how much rep do you usually get each day if you do all the Eris bounties (without any buffs)? Is the amount of potential Rep the same every day?

I need 555 to get to rank 2 still. Feels like such a chore. I'm not positive, but I think most of her bounties are 75 rep with 3,750 experience, and then she has "exceptions" that are 100/5,000 like the story missions on level 30, killing 10 majors/ultras in a nightfall, etc. Not sure about the daily offerings, I've been snagging the ones I can do and letting them build up. I need to knock them out tonight then get some glimmer.

rNilla

The majority of the fun is had by the Samurai and everyone else is less important.

I've only ever run the sword but I disagree with the second part. Teamwork and timing is crucial. It may seem boring to sit there and shoot but taking down the Swordbearer quickly is important. Keeping the knights at bay is important. Taking the shield down at the right time (twice) is important. And not dying during all of this is really important. :)

as it's been discussed before, the final boss for crota would be much more interesting and engaging to me if each person could only hold the sword once, or at least you couldn't hold it for the next round. more people would need to learn the sword and it'd emphasize beating it quickly, otherwise you may run out of sword rounds by the time enrage happens. this is why the bridge is my favorite part of the raid.

it's kinda boring for the guys who shield break solely because we have gjallarhorns, whereas everyone got to wail on atheon and the templar in some fashion. everybody's role is important during the fight, but only one person is putting it in crota's end. it doesn't take much to sword run but it's become some coveted role now.

Atkison04

Dax is taking a bit of a break from NeoGAF in general guys. I believe her account name is changed, but it's really none of my business to specify any more than that, as I don't know her wishes with regard to this community in particular

edit: ah

That's how my Titan is hitting 31 too. Such an incredibly useful tool, thank you soo much to creator Kaphis.

I misspoke. I actually still have my hunter/warlock raid boots. I scrapped my titan raid boots. That makes my Ruin Wings very sad indeed :/ That is a really useful tool. I just plugged all 3 of my dudes into it and now I know exactly what path to take to hit 31. I've been grinding for that full set of dlc vanguard gear for no reason (I was aware of the newly upgraded exotic slot, but I like having the dlc vanguard back-up incase another better exotic drops that I'd rather have).

R0ckman

as it's been discussed before, the final boss for crota would be much more interesting and engaging to me if each person could only hold the sword once, or at least you couldn't hold it for the next round. more people would need to learn the sword and it'd emphasize beating it quickly, otherwise you may run out of sword rounds by the time enrage happens. this is why the bridge is my favorite part of the raid.

it's kinda boring for the guys who shield break solely because we have gjallarhorns.

I wouldn't particularly find it fun trying to get everyone to get good with the sword, the first time was very fun playing it over and over, but after that its nothing more than another check box on the weekly grind cycle, that element would only piss me off.

Next week is a big holiday week in many parts of the world.

I plan on doing the CE fully during the holidays because of the amount of free time allotted

I would have enjoyed IB next week more.

The week BEFORE Christmas is usually hectic trying to cram work before everyone hoes home for the holidays

I wouldn't particularly find it fun trying to get everyone to get good with the sword, the first time was very fun playing it over and over, but after that its nothing more than another check box on the weekly grind cycle, that element would only piss me off.

ya, that's the problem. it's so easy now that any inconvenience makes people lose interest.

so much for "can't get carried".

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
One thing they could have done is to make it so that each player could only handle the sword one time during the fight (others have also said this). Although I can imagine reasons why this would have been problematic too... seems they could have solved the potential problems. Players could institute a rule themselves where people take turns with the sword but many gamers just want to get it done and would rather just let the largest proven expert wield the sword. This is really my main issue with the Crota encounter. The majority of the fun is had by the Samurai and everyone else is less important.
Essentially, this would be very good design... but also ratchet the total difficulty and skill threshold required for victory up for the fight enormously. It would be a perfect restriction for Hard mode, absolutely precision fit.
After Bungie implemented random teleports in the Atheon Encounter to try to force everyone to fully experience all the roles in the fight, I am really surprised that Bungie designed the Crota encounter as so much of a "all star MVP samurai" type of fight. Even more so after the bridge section where they force all the players to get in on the Samurai action. It is disappointing.
Actually, on this point, I disagree in part, though I do totally agree the bridge implies sword-use is inbound for the whole party.

I really like how different the fights are in that sense- in Atheon, the entire group must absolutely know every role and be ready to switch; for Crota, one person gets to just really tear it up. It's like one is a relay race start to finish where any weak link in the chain can be the difference between success and failure, and the other a football/handegg game where having a competent QB is make-or-break.

I also constantly try to keep in mind that it's not "this or that." I'm glad they weren't afraid to make it a completely different kind of fight, and I hope the Reef raid boss, rather than being "like Atheon" or "like Crota" is completely different than either one again.

Ambitious

At 4pm EST I would be game. I don't need to finish the raid either, I would love a vex, but fatebringer is priority. Maybe we could grab some other gafers?

I get home from work around 5pm est and have the checkpoint for templar if you guys wanna hold out till then.

I also am in desperate need of fatebringer.

Guess I'm not needed anymore. But if you can't get the group full, send me an invite.

E92 M3

it's kinda boring for the guys who shield break solely because we have gjallarhorns, whereas everyone got to wail on atheon and the templar in some fashion. everybody's role is important during the fight, but only one person is putting it in crota's end. it doesn't take much to sword run but it's become some coveted role now.

LFG would be more of a nightmare than it already is for the times there are no friends to play with. I'd rather be able to assign drone-like tasks to pull and control the more intimate part of the battle.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
LFG would be more of a nightmare than it already is for the times there are no friends to play with. I'd rather be able to assign drone-like tasks to pull and control the more intimate part of the battle.
I think both are totally valid viewpoints.

Bungie would really impress me by making this somehow a Normal/Hard mode distinction. It would be so cool.

ya it'd probably be a mess for a while, but i don't think that should be a limitation on the potential mechanics.

i know it's not gonna change though so i'll just fire my gjallarhorn and pretend i'm not bored

joecanada

I pray for an update that gives us the ability to lock equipment.

Even better would be a loot trash bin where you can just empty all greens, blues automatically. I mean wtf are they thinking? I've played dozens of hours of crucible, not one good weapon just fill me with trash. That's my reward for playing

Our original group didn't kill Crota, but I killed him twice as the Swordbearer by the end of the "night."

Earlier portions were many, many times easier and we were almost flawless on quite a few runs of the maze before the one that won it, so we're on our way for sure. The bridge is nuts with regard to how many different ways it can be tackled (and cheesed). We got it on our first try but things didn't go quite to plan ;)

Deathsinger coincided with major Destiny/login server issues that affected Palom and forced him to have to leave the run for the night... all in all this sequence cost us about an hour, really sucked :( But we learned a massive amount from the successful run we had on her- wins had us run one side, then the the other and we absolutely did have enough time.

Sword duty was a learning process for me but I started out with about 4% confidence, not really sure if it was even safe to get near Crota, and ended the night with 95% confidence and multiple occasions of 5 or 6 hits to his glowing ass. I have to say, I really love it. Being the swordbearer is an enormous amount of pressure and I can understand people largely disliking the design of the fight in putting so much emphasis on one person; however, the corollary is that the sensation of victory on the last run for the "relic holder"- compared to whoever it happens to be, holding L1 for Atheon- is really quite something. I would personally have to count my first sword kill as an instant favorite gaming memory, and I know there's tons of space to improve as well.

Speaking of which, one thing I'm going to start doing for CE eventually are "Sword Training Sessions," where the goal isn't even actually to get the kill- I'll call for a group of people interested in learning the sword to drop in immediately to the Crota checkpoint, and take turns handing off the sword with each round rather than having the same person do it every time. Stay tuned on this, I'm not quite at "sherpa" level for CE just yet ;)

Um, usually on Tuesday morning of the week it happens, but I was a little on the procrastinating side and haven't done this week's yet (have some pre-signed up though).

Next week's would be on Christmas. I'm a member of the Jewture War Cult so that doesn't bother me in the least bit but we'll see if there's actually interest. A Very Merry Vault of Tinsel run perhaps.

Aw thank you!
Oh man, I hope you didn't stay up too late again! haha That next day at work was truly brutal. Awesome, I expected you guys to crush the first phase. How did you do the bridge? Did you get 5 over and the sixth sniped? Got just 3 or 4 over?

That's nice that you found an efficient way to crush Deathsinger, as that thing doesn't even net you an award, I just want to crush her as quickly as possible every time any way possible ;P

That's awesome that you're turning into a sword beast. We need at least one of those to not take all night or take two separate nights to clear the Raid each week. Speaking of which, as has been touched here, Crota is extremely disappointing in that only one person truly does damage. I have no doubts that one person feels like a superstar when he goes down but the other five are literally relegated to merely clearing addys and taking down a shield. Laaaaaaaaaaame Bungle! Sure it takes teamwork to achieve Crota's death and there's challenge in properly syncing with your sword bearer, but all 6 Raid members want to feel like they killed the boss and this structure doesn't allow for that. At least with Aetheon, the relic holder changes due to the random portal team each time. At least Crota is intense but I really hope they never ever do this for a single boss battle ever again.

E92 M3

I think both are totally valid viewpoints.

Bungie would really impress me by making this somehow a Normal/Hard mode distinction. It would be so cool.

Yes, they would impress me too if they made hard mode considerably different - not just more enemies, higher level.

i don't think that should be a limitation on the potential mechanics.

i know it's not gonna change though so i'll just fire my gjallarhorn and pretend i'm not bored

I agree about limitation, options are always good.

ya it'd probably be a mess for a while, but i don't think that should be a limitation on the potential mechanics.

:lol you can be swordbearer next time if you want

Ugh, I'm way behind on Destiny this week. still have 2 nightfalls, 3 heroics, 1 full raid, and 1st 2 checkpoints left to do, which will come after finishing up holiday shopping, and working overtime...

Last week was the same! We did a lot on Monday haha. I don't want to do that again. I have all 3 weeklies/Nightfalls to go still, 2.75 raids (just beat Crota once, need 1st 2 drops as well), and potentially VoG runs if I have time at the end of the week. I know how you feel. I'm down to do whatever. Let me know when you plan on doing anything and hopefully I can join again. Other than Bridge/Crota, we ran through everything else quickly. I just got Black Hammer so that will make Phogoth fun

Deku Tree

I need 555 to get to rank 2 still. Feels like such a chore. I'm not positive, but I think most of her bounties are 75 rep with 3,750 experience, and then she has "exceptions" that are 100/5,000 like the story missions on level 30, killing 10 majors/ultras in a nightfall, etc. Not sure about the daily offerings, I've been snagging the ones I can do and letting them build up. I need to knock them out tonight then get some glimmer.

You know I thought they were going to be a chore when I picked them up today especially the "kill hive from behind one" but I really wanted to do them to rep up Eris to upgrade my "husk of the pit" and my Fusion rifle. But then I was jumping up in the air and shooting thralls from behind and it was a blast. :) I going to try to knock them out quick every day to rank up Eris.

E92 M3

i'd rather we just pass it off so everyone gets to learn it and give crota a good beating.

CH6bFVN.jpg

Deku Tree

Essentially, this would be very good design... but also ratchet the total difficulty and skill threshold required for victory up for the fight enormously. It would be a perfect restriction for Hard mode, absolutely precision fit.

Actually, on this point, I disagree in part, though I do totally agree the bridge implies sword-use is inbound for the whole party.

I really like how different the fights are in that sense- in Atheon, the entire group must absolutely know every role and be ready to switch; for Crota, one person gets to just really tear it up. It's like one is a relay race start to finish where any weak link in the chain can be the difference between success and failure, and the other a football/handegg game where having a competent QB is make-or-break.

I also constantly try to keep in mind that it's not "this or that." I'm glad they weren't afraid to make it a completely different kind of fight, and I hope the Reef raid boss, rather than being "like Atheon" or "like Crota" is completely different than either one again.

These are really valid points and they make me think a bit more about the opinion that I expressed.

R0ckman

I think other issues with the "sword for each member" is the risk of all kinds of bugs and the fact that not everyone follows directions as clear as that would need to be done. In earlier raids many times people would just do whatever they wanted despite us gathering and coming up with a game plan. If people decide on who should pick up the sword and in what order, it's likely not everyone is going to listen 100% of the time.

I'm not particularly a leader by personality and more of the guy that sits back and will only rise when things just get too incompetent in the group. Otherwise I will just either do what I'm assigned or notice areas that could use some help and help there. I've been more impressed with teams that can really function as a body than teams that can be a jack of all trades, that in a way, defeats the purpose of being in a group. If the hand was made to scratch, let it scratch and let the brain do the thinking, the mouth the eating etc.

zewone

I have no problem doing Gjallarhorn duty. I have zero desire to do the sword and I'm really enjoying myself even just being support.

LordofPwn

Last week was the same! We did a lot on Monday haha. I don't want to do that again. I have all 3 weeklies/Nightfalls to go still, 2.75 raids (just beat Crota once, need 1st 2 drops as well), and potentially VoG runs if I have time at the end of the week. I know how you feel. I'm down to do whatever. Let me know when you plan on doing anything and hopefully I can join again. Other than Bridge/Crota, we ran through everything else quickly. I just got Black Hammer so that will make Phogoth fun

I've gotten 6 bounties done this week. 6. If i'm able to get on tonight it'll be around 8pm PST and i will be down for Nightfalls. goes so fast with 3 people. if you are on when i get on i'll send you an Invite.

I mean i still havent had time to upload that awesome Devil Walker incident either. that shit was hilarious!

I think other issues with the "sword for each member" is the risk of all kinds of bugs and the fact that not everyone follows directions as clear as that would need to be done. In earlier raids many times people would just do whatever they wanted despite us gathering and coming up with a game plan. If people decide on who should pick up the sword and in what order, it's likely not everyone is going to listen 100% of the time.

I'm not particularly a leader by personality and more of the guy that sits back and will only rise when things just get too incompetent in the group. Otherwise I will just either do what I'm assigned or notice areas that could use some help and help there. I've been more impressed with teams that can really function as a body than teams that can be a jack of all trades, that in a way, defeats the purpose of being in a group. If the hand was made to scratch, let it scratch and let the brain do the thinking, the mouth the eating etc.

giving people roles they specialize in is an inherent part of raids, so i'm not trying to take emphasis away from that. i just think the battle is too easy unless you're running the sword. just as an inconvenient mechanic can make a fight tedious, a dull encounter makes it boring to grind through. i can't say with confidence that i'm looking forward to doing CE every week because the best parts are over in 15 minutes.

i guess i just don't feel challenged by destiny anymore. doing vault of glass oracles legit is about the only encounter in the game i can say is difficult.

I've gotten 6 bounties done this week. 6. If i'm able to get on tonight it'll be around 8pm PST and i will be down for Nightfalls. goes so fast with 3 people. if you are on when i get on i'll send you an Invite.

I mean i still havent had time to upload that awesome Devil Walker incident either. that shit was hilarious!

Hahahaha I almost spit out my coffee. I completely forgot about that! I definitely need to do that too. Sounds good, I'll aim to be on then as well to get those done.

rNilla

I wonder if six people could take Crota down in three rounds. Each round two people go up to the rock. One has the sword and attacks, then during the transition to the second attack they drop the relic off at the rock, GTFO, and the second person picks it up and goes in for another attack. This x 3 = Crota dead and all six people touched the relic.

Obviously this leaves a ton of room for mistakes but would be fun to pull off. It would probably be hard to do in only 3 rounds though (if at all).

Top Bottom