• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

:-/

The whole thing has been soloed, but I... think it's really important that we keep a few things in mind.

1) Zoba, fig, Boguester, et al in particular, and all of us here in general, are waayyyyy waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy to the east extreme of the skill curve in Destiny. Just.. I promise. Seriously. I have killed Crota three times, twice holding the sword, and in each iteration of group composition that was involved in each kill, there were people who mentioned they had been trying in another group for hours just Crota to no avail (as we did ourselves before succeeding).

I get how trivial the fight can be when everyone is absolutely on point. The entire raid is designed to allow the player control the pace of the encounters; as such, a great team can set that pace to Ludicrous Speed. But perspective is necessary. There are people out there who have not killed Crota yet simply because they haven't been able to pull it off. There are people out there for whom the idea of wielding the sword is an absolute non-option, and finding a group with someone who is both willing to and competent is a challenge before the fight even starts. There are people out there who think Normal mode CE is too hard. I know that seems laughable to a lot of us but it's true.

2) My personal raid group has had much more trouble with CE than we did with VoG, Normal or Hard. Make of that what you will, but the challenges on display apply differently to different group makeups.

3) Hard mode isn't out yet at all.

Oh, I understand and have no misconception of how skill and communication effect the encounter.

I beat my head against the wall on Crota with my first attempt (still not complete) because people couldn't coordinate attacks or communicate. Really frustrating when people won't listen, or are set in doing something a certain way that is not optimal or overly difficult to execute.

kidko

Did it with a group of gaffers last night and we stopped after about 8 or so tries. We either couldn't take down the sword bearers fast enough because the little buggers hide behind the pillars, or we couldn't DPS crota fast enough to ensure 2 solid hits each time and would end up enraging

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I got a legendary heavy engram, it better turn into Gjallarhorn......it won't. Doing weekly on another character before I open it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We had a glitch in one of our runs where we had two chalices.
Yeah if two people take it at the same time it clones itself. Magic chalice!

It doesn't last long though, it's really easy to not realize you have the "other" chalice and be like "oh shit I need that" when you see the prompt- then you're back to one.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Did it with a group of gaffers last night and we stopped after about 8 or so tries. We either couldn't take down the sword bearers fast enough because the little buggers hide behind the pillars, or we couldn't DPS crota fast enough to ensure 2 solid hits each time and would end up enraging

Were you on the left side? I've had many attempts from both the middle and the left side, and the left side is easier w/r/t killing the swordbearers.

rNilla

I've seen this a couple times. Did someone die with the chalice (or at all)? I don't know what caused it either time.

EDIT: Hmm

It doesn't last long though, it's really easy to not realize you have the "other" chalice and be like "oh shit I need that" when you see the prompt- then you're back to one.

If bungie wants to make hard crota hard they just need to add wizards around crota and the side areas and weight of darkness for everyone.

I hope they never do this.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
has anybody seen Crota get knocked off his platform yet?

his AI routine totally bugs out, he gets stuck down in the pit with all the adds, but it looks like after about a 15-20 second timer, he just warps back onto his proper pathing.

Which, in this case, was pretty hilarious.

http://xboxclips.com/oddworld18/7c4d4695-4832-4415-b7c5-2deaafc1067e

I've seen him go down the stairs while he was on the left before and kill someone, lol.

Bunts, I'm sorry, but that's a pair of Ass Shards you got there.

Most likely. :(

Stantron

Crota's End week 1
Titan: arms, legs, LMG
Warlock: arms, shotty
Hunter: chest, sniper

Crota's End week 2
Titan: n/a
Warlock: legs, dupe arms
Hunter: legs

total radiant energy: 37
total radiant shards: 30

Anyone else have a lackluster week 2?

Crota's End week 1
Titan: arms, legs, LMG
Warlock: arms, shotty
Hunter: arms, sniper

Crota's End week 2
Titan: n/a
Warlock: legs, dupe arms
Hunter: legs

total radiant energy: 37
total radiant shards: 30

Anyone else have a lackluster week 2?

My week 2 with The Dark Below was leaps and bounds better than week 1:

In less than 24 hours after the Tuesday reset I completed Crotas End 3 times, 3 Nightfalls and 3 Weeklies

Haul:
CE Titan Chest and Gauntlets
CE Hunter Boots
CE Warlock Gauntlets
Gjallerhorn
The Devil You Don't (amazing roll with field scout and more)
Voidfang Vestments (already had it - upgraded version)
The Culling (already had it - upgraded version)
Swordbreaker
Hard Light (already had it - upgraded version)
Plug One.1 (new fusion rifle)
2 Vanguard Commendations
Plenty of Shards and Energy
Plenty of Radiant Shards and Energy
Prudence II (new sniper)
Badger CCL (new scout rifle)
LDR 5001 (new sniper rifle)

A fantastic haul after a shitty first week with The Dark Below

This also includes a lot of Vanguard package rolls and Cryptarch packages. Not to mention the usual rep, marks, glimmer, mats etc.

My Level 31 Hunter, Titan and Warlock have 3/4 items needed to get to 32 (2 raid pieces and 1 exotic helmet at 36 Light) with 26 radiant shards so far and 38 radiant energy for the CE weapons.

Namikaze1

I've seen this a couple times. Did someone die with the chalice (or at all)? I don't know what caused it either time.

When it happened to us yesterday, the one who had it died while attacking Crota with the sword. I ended up picking up the chalice first before reviving him and somehow he had a duplicate. It fixed itself two minutes later when Zoba took the Chalice I had and it disappeared, leaving just one.

Ok, hard VoG raid time! I've actually never ran it in hardmode, but have ran normal over a dozen times. Who wants to do a full run or just templar check point? I am mostly in this for fatebringer but if there are people interested in a full hard VoG, lets do it!

Let's get the list going. Want to go asap.

Hard VoG (Full or possibly just Templar for Fatebringer. I need the checkpoint though)
1. Gutterboy44 (psn=gutterboy44)

Edit: Looks like my window of doing this asap is closing soon. But I am up for a late night (EST) VoG run. Maybe closer to 11-12 EST

Dave_6

well i've taken these and some other stuff over the last few days. will definitely snap some again on a more casual raid.
hxG50Py.jpg

Great pics! Which cloak is that?

Ok, hard VoG raid time! I've actually never ran it in hardmode, but have ran normal over a dozen times. Who wants to do a full run or just templar check point? I am mostly in this for fatebringer but if there are people interested in a full hard VoG, lets do it!

I'm after the FB as well but I won't be home from work for another couple hours.

rNilla

When it happened to us yesterday, the one who had it died while attacking Crota with the sword. I ended up picking up the chalice first before reviving him and somehow he had a duplicate. It fixed itself two minutes later when Zoba took the Chalice had and it disappeared, leaving just one.

One of the times it happened to the group I was in I think I had it and died and it was cloned in a similar way when someone was reviving me (but I didn't revive with one, there were suddenly just two people with the chalice).

hydruxo

has anybody seen Crota get knocked off his platform yet?

his AI routine totally bugs out, he gets stuck down in the pit with all the adds, but it looks like after about a 15-20 second timer, he just warps back onto his proper pathing.

Which, in this case, was pretty hilarious.

http://xboxclips.com/oddworld18/7c4d4695-4832-4415-b7c5-2deaafc1067e

Yeah I was using the sword last night and after the first sword run when I tried to get over to that side platform Crota lunged at me and missed then fell off the middle, then he just teleported to the right side.

So what's the best legendary primary to buy from one of the vendors? I only have exotic primarys with the new stats and need something to run with my icebreaker or dragons breath. My armor is specd for auto rifles and hand cannons but I like pretty much anything.

Edit: I can buy from crucible, vanguard, nm and fwc

in my experience, the raids require 5 things:

5. knowledge of the encounters and practice. this is something that needs to be learned, but should be simple to grasp provided the player learns it correctly (without cheese). knowing what to do and how to do it is one thing, but being able to do it consistently is another that comes with experience.

4. time investment, which simply refers to the amount of effort you put into the fight and how patient you're willing to be with your group while you learn the mechanics and execution.

3. proper level and gear. if you're not equipped for the fight, you're going to bash your head against walls you're not doing enough damage to bring down.

2. communication and coordination. probably the most obvious one, but players need to work together and play to each other's strengths. if you aren't in sync, that wall will take a lot more than proper gear to bring down.

1. chemistry. i think this is one that people overlook, but IMO it's the most important. a group that works well together is more likely to succeed, and more likely to enjoy the raid as a result. this is easier with premade groups that run together often, but i've similarly ran with people for the first time and had a great run even if the rest of the stuff was lacking. in fact, because we work so well together, we're able to make up for the rest and pull through the run.

to echo one of Luke Smith's comment on the VoG, "I’ve talked some about thumbskill challenge vs. investment challenge vs. cooperation challenge in some interviews, and the Normal Raid difficulty prioritizes cooperation challenge and investment challenge."

i think groups who are struggling on crota need to work on one of these areas.

and it bears repeating that i don't mean any of this in a condescending way. i just want more of that "investment challenge"

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So what's the best legendary primary to buy from one of the vendors? I only have exotic primarys with the new stats and need something to run with my icebreaker or dragons breath. My armor is specd for auto rifles and hand cannons but I like pretty much anything.

Edit: I can buy from crucible, vanguard, nm and fwc
The FWC vendor's The Chance is fantastic.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Oh, I understand and have no misconception of how skill and communication effect the encounter.

I beat my head against the wall on Crota with my first attempt (still not complete) because people couldn't coordinate attacks or communicate. Really frustrating when people won't listen, or are set in doing something a certain way that is not optimal or overly difficult to execute.

Honestly, if you have at least 3 guys with ballerhorns, I don't understand how a group couldn't do it, unless they just didn't understand the encounter. The only hard part of the encounter is the timing, and when you have 3 ballerhorns, timing is a lot easier bc 3 rockets will do it.

Hoodbury

Can Titans drop the sword after the first round of hitting Crota and drop a bubble right by his feet and then pick up the sword and continue hitting him instead of having to wait for the team to take him down again for the second round? Would that work? Or can you not do damage to him when he's standing?

Honestly, if you have at least 3 guys with ballerhorns, I don't understand how a group couldn't do it, unless they just didn't understand the encounter. The only hard part of the encounter is the timing, and when you have 3 ballerhorns, timing is a lot easier bc 3 rockets will do it.

Gjallarhorns are not necessary for this encounter. It's all about timing. You can use VoC and get the shield down in time for the sword wielder to get his shots in. Gjallarhorn is helpful in taking Crota down the second time but so will a couple of Ice Breaker shots with a steady corrective measure DPS on top of it. Gjallarhorn is NOT the answer to everything (maybe if you wanna solo it but as a group it's not)

realcZk

hahah you aren't really comparing these, right?

i was being sarcastic, but it only worked because bungie allowed it to happen
  • atheon walks backwards from grenade aoe damage like every other AI in the game (coded by bungie)
  • atheon dies when falling off a ledge like every other AI in the game (coded by bungie)

in my mind it definitely was NOT exploiting the game, everything you're doing is well within the realm of standard gameplay and follows all the rules of the sandbox as programmed by bungie

obviously its a super easy strategy that takes all the difficulty and timing out of the encounter (sound familar?) so bungie patched it out. maybe tomorrow they'll decide crota can see people who are cloaked, him being a god and all. im not saying the bladedancer cloak is even comparable because it could have been intended by bungie, we don't know yet. it took them a while to figure out just what they intended with the atheon fight after it's release.

LordofPwn

if i remember correctly someone did die and everyone made a mad dash to grab the chalice and it worked great for when you died escaping crota later on, lol. You run a great sword now!

gdt

Wooooo got the warlock gloves, chest piece, and the black hammer finally. Awesome raid. Gonna raid with my Titan who has Ruin Wings soon Tonight :)

Just gonna eat and relax then it's raid time again.

hydruxo

Fireteam leader leaving when Crota kneels isn't even a cheese, it's an exploit. Like people have said already, it's really not that hard of an encounter if you know what you're doing and you work together.

Deku Tree

We had an experience last night where we couldn't find the chalice or it just disappeared after someone died while holding it. Not sure which. But it didn't appear to be anywhere near where Cuco died at all or up above in the air or anything.

We had zero ballerhorns. Only non-tracking RLs and 1 Icebreaker among us. Timing was hard because the time-to-shield down was inconsistent so sword wielder was inneffective. It also hurt that they insisted in hiding in a spot where they couldn't see Crota and would wait too long to jump up and hit him once shield was finally down.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can Titans drop the sword after the first round of hitting Crota and drop a bubble right by his feet and then pick up the sword and continue hitting him instead of having to wait for the team to take him down again for the second round? Would that work? Or can you not do damage to him when he's standing?
He gets his shield back in before "rounds." I'm pretty sure he could also melee you right in your cozy bubble.

Speaking of bubbles...

Weapons of Light and solely primary damage from some 31s is plenty of DPS for getting Crota's shield down in a timely fashion.

Honestly, much as Gjallarhorn does have the ability to make the encounter easier, there is a legitimate risk of taking the shield down TOO FAST for the swordbearer, and I'm surprised that I don't see that talked about more. The timing of when it goes down in relation to where the swordbearer is at the time is 1500% more important than getting it down as quickly as possible.

We had zero ballerhorns. Only non-tracking RLs and 1 Icebreaker among us. Timing was hard because the time-to-shield down was inconsistent so sword wielder was inneffective. It also hurt that they insisted in hiding in a spot where they couldn't see Crota and would wait too long to jump up and hit him once shield was finally down.

Inconsistency happens when someone decides to shoot a rocket out of nowhere and he goes down too early or if someone doesn't remember to reload their VoC (with field scout) before beginning to take his shield down.

Hoodbury

He gets his shield back in before "rounds." I'm pretty sure he could also melee you right in your cozy bubble.

Right, but they would just be helping take down the shield faster and then already be up there to get the maximum amount of hits in when his shield does go down.

Top Bottom