• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Stantron

My week 2 with The Dark Below was leaps and bounds better than week 1:
*snip*
My Level 31 Hunter, Titan and Warlock have 3/4 items needed to get to 32 (2 raid pieces and 1 exotic helmet at 36 Light) with 26 radiant shards so far and 38 radiant energy for the CE weapons.

Yeah, I can't complain much since I also have 2 raid + 1 exotic per character too. I just hope I get the right drop next week so at least one of them can reach 32. I won't have enough radiant shards to max out 3 raid pieces for another 2 weeks likely. Probably around the same time I finally am able to get Eris to rank 4 for radiant exchange. I'm gonna max out Black Hammer asap and save the rest of my energies for helping to get my alts to 32.

rNilla

if i remember correctly someone did die and everyone made a mad dash to grab the chalice and it worked great for when you died escaping crota later on, lol. You run a great sword now!

Ha, thanks! I think I had my best run yet last night as a Titan. I'm starting to feel pretty good about the sword but need more practice!

We had zero ballerhorns. Only non-tracking RLs and 1 Icebreaker among us. Timing was hard because the time-to-shield down was inconsistent so sword wielder was inneffective. It also hurt that they insisted in hiding in a spot where they couldn't see Crota and would wait too long to jump up and hit him once shield was finally down.

On the only one run that I had, we didn't use any RL's (maybe one guy did) because it's inconsistent. Apparently Crota regens health fast, so hitting him constantly is more important. We had at least one auto rifle at all time (the rest were hitting him with snipers).

Korosenai

He gets his shield back in before "rounds." I'm pretty sure he could also melee you right in your cozy bubble.

Speaking of bubbles...

Weapons of Light and solely primary damage from some 31s is plenty of DPS for getting Crota's shield down in a timely fashion.

Honestly, much as Gjallarhorn does have the ability to make the encounter easier, there is a legitimate risk of taking the shield down TOO FAST for the swordbearer, and I'm surprised that I don't see that talked about more. The timing of when it goes down in relation to where the swordbearer is at the time is 1500% more important than getting it down as quickly as possible.
Which is usually why its good to let the person using the sword tell the team when to shoot.

GRIP

Ok, hard VoG raid time! I've actually never ran it in hardmode, but have ran normal over a dozen times. Who wants to do a full run or just templar check point? I am mostly in this for fatebringer but if there are people interested in a full hard VoG, lets do it!

Let's get the list going. Want to go asap.

Hard VoG (Full or possibly just Templar for Fatebringer. I need the checkpoint though)
1. Gutterboy44 (psn=gutterboy44)

I got the templar checkpoint and am looking to do just that part. I may have to run out in 20-30 minutes though so not sure if I can jump on right away.

PSN GriP17-

Edit: Just saw you probably aren't doing it right now. I might be on later so add me if you want.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Which major glitch are you thinking about?
Well, exploit specifically. The quitting one. One just shows that they didn't think the encounter through in terms of designing it around group mechanics (although I suppose perhaps a Warlock could solo Atheon with radiance and gjallahorn?), but the other is probably something that is freaking people at Bungie out. If that still works whenever they launch hard mode, then the raid is basically done.

or

Modifier: Lightswitch

I feel like melee guys already do enough, e.g. one shot level 30s and almost kill a level 31. Also, during the crota fight, if you stay on the sides or in the middle hallway nothing gets close to melee you except that one bridge knight. I guess the thralls would be dangerous for the sword carrier, but they would just have to be more careful or clear them. If you added weight of darkness and only allowed the chalice to get rid of it, then everyone essentially gets stuck in place. This would make wizards much much more dangerous since they essentially have homing missles for weapons. Bungie could position the wizards to make hiding/dealing with them a priority, and thus the enrage timer a much bigger threat.

I guess making the sword random would be hard too, but that just seems lazy IMO.

Edit: lightswitch would make the rest of the raid pretty awful though.

I got the templar checkpoint and am looking to do just that part. I may have to run out in 20-30 minutes though so not sure if I can jump on right away.

PSN GriP17-

VoG Hard - Templar Checkpoint Only or Maybe Full Raid - TBD Late EST 11pm-12pm ish start, will know exact time later in the evening. Sorry for the flakeyness. Depends on when the wife turns in for the night ;)
2. Grip (GriP17)

i was being sarcastic, but it only worked because bungie allowed it to happen
  • atheon walks backwards from grenade aoe damage like every other AI in the game (coded by bungie)
  • atheon dies when falling off a ledge like every other AI in the game (coded by bungie)

in my mind it definitely was NOT exploiting the game, everything you're doing is well within the realm of standard gameplay and follows all the rules of the sandbox as programmed by bungie

obviously its a super easy strategy that takes all the difficulty and timing out of the encounter (sound familar?) so bungie patched it out. maybe tomorrow they'll decide crota can see people who are cloaked, him being a god and all. im not saying the bladedancer cloak is even comparable because it could have been intended by bungie, we don't know yet. it took them a while to figure out just what they intended with the atheon fight after it's release.

:lol Sunbros so salty that Bladedancers are legit and they're not. It still requires good timing to stab Crota in the ass before he sees you. Executing it well just makes it look easy.

Well, exploit specifically. The quitting one. One just shows that they didn't think the encounter through in terms of designing it around group mechanics (although I suppose perhaps a Warlock could solo Atheon with radiance and gjallahorn?), but the other is probably something that is freaking people at Bungie out. If that still works whenever they launch hard mode, then the raid is basically done.

I have a friend who suspects that the reason why they delayed Hard Mode was basically to stop exploits before it gets released.

realcZk

:lol Sunbros so salty that Bladedancers are legit and they're not. It still requires good timing to stab Crota in the ass before he sees you. Executing it well just makes it look easy.

w/e figs! first time i downed crota i was a sunbro and had to do it "legit" brah
i actually had to work with my team and they had to call out damage %s to me so i could use my shitty glide to get up there with perfect timing, it was an experience

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Gjallarhorns are not necessary for this encounter. It's all about timing. You can use VoC and get the shield down in time for the sword wielder to get his shots in. Gjallarhorn is helpful in taking Crota down the second time but so will a couple of Ice Breaker shots with a steady corrective measure DPS on top of it. Gjallarhorn is NOT the answer to everything (maybe if you wanna solo it but as a group it's not)

I'm pretty sure I never said it was "necessary" for the encounter - I've done it without. You can use almost anything. But it's easiest with horns, and reduces the need for any teamwork beyond 3 ppl firing at the same time, which was what the discussion was about.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have a friend who suspects that the reason why they delayed Hard Mode was basically to stop exploits before it gets released.
I wonder if this disconnection glitch is easily fixable. Apparently the reason why the heavy ammo glitch still exists is because they can't fix it without breaking other systems.

That said, I have no idea how they must feel about the fact that the whole raid is Soloable - with Gjallahorn of course, but still.

I'm pretty sure I never said it was "necessary" for the encounter - I've done it without. You can use almost anything. But it's easiest with horns, and reduces the need for any teamwork beyond 3 ppl firing at the same time, which was what the discussion was about.
I think the problem is that Gjallahorn is seen as the solution to everything.

VoG Hard - Templar Checkpoint Only or Maybe Full Raid - TBD Late EST 11pm-12pm ish start, will know exact time later in the evening. Sorry for the flakeyness. Depends on when the wife turns in for the night ;)
2. Grip (GriP17)
I am down if we kill Atheon :)

w/e figs! first time i downed crota i was a sunbro and had to do it "legit" brah
i actually had to work with my team and they had to call out damage %s to me so i could use my shitty glide to get up there with perfect timing, it was an experience

I'm sure. :p

We're doing a 1 person per sword run next week, so we won't have enough Bladedancers anyway since I'm going support.

But that's the thing it really doesn't make it any easier

edit** Just feel like people who don't have a gjallarhorn are discouraged thinking that is the reason for why they can't beat Crota when it isn't

I wonder if this disconnection glitch is easily fixable. Apparently the reason why the heavy ammo glitch still exists is because they can't fix it without breaking other systems.

That said, I have no idea how they must feel about the fact that the whole raid is Soloable - with Gjallahorn of course, but still.

I think the problem is that Gjallahorn is seen as the solution to everything.

Someone solo'd Crota? I have to see that.

realcZk

I'm sure. :p

We're doing a 1 person per sword run next week, so we won't have enough Bladedancers anyway since I'm going support.

ive heard support is boring unless you use khvostov and tripmines on thrall
and for the record, i would pick bladedancer over warlock any day for CE they are OP and glide sucks

Aye its def my favorite way to do it because its just so baller. This raid is a big playground for hunters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll delete Destiny
and then reinstall it.

I doubt it will go up during the Banner but they said it's coming before the end of the year...
Yeah, I suspect they wouldn't run it during IB.

That said, no one on my friends list is actually playing IB because there's no reason to any more.

I watched it before it was posted above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUBPo8cwo4

Bear in mind the guy is 32, which means he has alts and got lucky or did the insane and ran the raid over and over again until he got the materials necessarily, but it's doable. Drop the sword, Gjallahorn twice, then attack. Rinse and repeat until Crota is dead. lol

Looks like he is 31 in the video...? Unless he switches his gear later and goes up to 32 before Crota which I didn't see.

joecanada

Ok, hard VoG raid time! I've actually never ran it in hardmode, but have ran normal over a dozen times. Who wants to do a full run or just templar check point? I am mostly in this for fatebringer but if there are people interested in a full hard VoG, lets do it!

Let's get the list going. Want to go asap.

Hard VoG (Full or possibly just Templar for Fatebringer. I need the checkpoint though)

Edit: Looks like my window of doing this asap is closing soon. But I am up for a late night (EST) VoG run. Maybe closer to 11-12 EST

Hey I have a hard mode Templar checkpoint I may initiate tonight at 11 est or so. Check back if you need to

EL CUCO

I watched it before it was posted above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUBPo8cwo4

Bear in mind the guy is 32, which means he has alts and got lucky or did the insane and ran the raid over and over again until he got the materials necessarily, but it's doable. Drop the sword, Gjallahorn twice, then attack. Rinse and repeat until Crota is dead. lol

These are the same guys that 2 manned VoG Hard mode. The guy started at 31 and had to level up to 32 for Crota.

It's sad that Bungie will never acknowledge this type of commitment. They basically brushed off the 2 man VoG vid.

Deku Tree

These are the same guys that 2 manned VoG Hard mode. The guy started at 31 and had to level up to 32 for Crota.

It's sad that Bungie will never acknowledge this type of commitment. They basically brushed off the 2 man VoG vid.

Deej should give them a shout out in his weekly IMO. The casual 1 man is much more impressive than being the worlds first 6 man team I think.

But Deej probably won't, your right.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Looks like he is 31 in the video...? Unless he switches his gear later and goes up to 32 before Crota which I didn't see.
Yeah, he sort of hides it with edits (although he mentions in text that he needed to level "20 times", which I assume means running fresh alts through the story to get to the raid to get the materials), but at the end when you see him use a heavy synth, you see that he is level 32.

I'm not sure how I would feel if someone basically found a way to complete something I designed in a little under two weeks. lol

World's first is one thing, which I guess they can pimp on their blog. But this just makes the idea that the raid is designed around being a co-op experience a bit untenable.

Edit: I have no idea how other MMOs work. Can you solo WoW's endgame content?

DJ88

I love the Black Hammer sniper so much. Here's a video of chaining 15 shots in a row on Phogoth. I would've kept going if I didn't start getting ambushed by ads. Truly feels like a perk that would be reserved for an exotic.

http://youtu.be/5Whef55D0hI

Top Bottom