• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Meneses

Oh you were just really asking, my bad!

Yeah, every Thursday at 8:15 (pushing it a little later tonight) is a VoG raid intended especially for first timers or those who haven't raided much, but open to all and a good opportunity to try some roles that you may not be comfortable with even if you have run it all many times. The only condition is that people don't run them two weeks in a row so that many get to cycle through, and if I'm not mistaken, over 30 distinct Gaffers have gone through one of these runs. I'll put the relic in the hands of those who have never held it, show off strategies in Normal that hold up just fine in hard, and even squeeze in a little lore if I can manage it on time.

Generally speaking I have to say, I've done 10 or 12 of these up to this point and it's been a damn blast every time. Every single group has been composed of really good listeners and more than one of these groups, including ones containing people who had never been into the Vault, have made it to the Gatekeepers without a single wipe.

Up until now, these have merely been Normal runs, with a min level of 26 to get in- even room for a 25. From this point on, once signups are done each week I'm going to calculate an average level and make a judgment call on whether to go for Normal or Hard. Since 30 is approaching true accessibility in a rapid way, "Newbie Hard" runs aren't at all out of the question.

This is an awesome thing to do.

I did my first VoG some time ago when MADGAME offered the same thing.

MAD was a great teacher and super patient, and our group listened well. We didn't wipe many times, it was more of a question of perfecting the roles and grasping the mechanics.

I probably wouldn't have tried the Raid for a long time if it wasn't for that group.

I still need to try VoG hard mode or CE, maybe i'll apply to one of your groups sometime! :)

Fine! I'm sorry! I am so sorry, fig! I didn't meant anything I said before about you! You can keep the chocolates and flowers! Your cloak isn't that bad! It's pretty good! And Zoba got nothing on you! Nothing!

throne_of_lies_elf.gif

bucyou55

Banned
Sorry this post is so late in the making, I usually try to do them on Tuesdays but yeah, been a sleep-deprived week ;)

Wednesday, 9:00PM EST - Static Group CE Normal Raid (last night)

While I started out last night with 5/6 of my normal group raiders, I finished it having played with 18 different people over the course of the night's events. I want to thank each and every person who joined up for their patience in letting me hone my skill with the sword and congratulate all of you for whom it was your first kill. :D My adrenaline was racing so much after my first kill that despite it already being multiple hours too late to be awake, I stuck around for another kill and got Wallach in on the action from the stream.

My static group will be reconvening at 9:00PM on Sunday to finish what we started.

Thursday, 9:00PM EST - Hawkian's Fun Time Happy Newbie Normal/Hard VoG Raid

1. ori0n
2. Ozone (need PSN)
3. Hawkian
4. OPEN
5. OPEN
6. OPEN

These are weekly raids available to all, but intended for newbies to the Vault or those who just aren't comfortable with all aspects of it. Bring your highest leveled character, your best weapon, and your most patient self! All encounters will be explained (quickly, but still) as though it was a new group, so please be willing to listen. These are a great opportunity to take on roles you don't ordinarily get the chance to try- Relic for Templar, inside/outside Gatekeepers, etc.- and just general learn to master the raid. We will employ (or at least demonstrate) tactics for each section that can be applied equally to either Normal or Hard mode. The only restriction on attendance is that participants shouldn't come two weeks in row, just to allow many different GAF Guardians to cycle through. There is no pressure to understand anything before having it explained, and no pointing fingers when things break down. We will laugh at ourselves when we wipe, and then do better the next attempt.

New note: If the group level distribution for one of these is four 30s/two 29s or better, this will shift to becoming a Hard Raid. The biggest restriction by far for a Hard raid is that you cannot revive. If you die, you're dead until the next checkpoint. As a result, it's important to play very conservatively. However, the prospect of having a full six level 30 "newbie" group is becoming more realistic by the day, and I'm confident we could pull it off. However, if you sign up for this run, please do so with the knowledge that it will default to a Normal raid if the numbers aren't in our favor.

Quote and post your PSN for one of the last three slots for tonight!

Saturday, 3:00PM EST -Hawkian's Pay-it-Foward Weekly Heroic/Nightfall Clinic

Can't do my usual Friday evening help this week due to a guild event, but I wanted to make sure to still offer a bit of assistance before Xur leaves, just in case there's anyone scrambling.

Here's the usual deal with this: I guarantee you safe passage through the Weekly Strike of your choice and show you a viable cheesy (for Nightfall) or lactose-free (for Heroic) strategy that is easy to replicate; you use this knowledge to help someone else out when the time comes!

Minimum level for the Clinic is 28 for Nightfall, 27 for Weekly Heroic. No signups for these- just come into the thread at the specified time and post asking for help and I jump in.

i'd like in the noob vog run if a slot is open

31 titan

psn = bucyou55

i suck at jumping maze part :/

zewone

198 coins (still have one more weekly to do)
25 motes of light (bought 5 engrams last week)

I want Gjarllarhorn upgrade, Helm of Saint 14, and No Land Beyond.

Jinjo

It's only embarrassing because what Bungie tries to portray these Raids to be. These dudes 2 manned HM VoG with no cheese. Same with CE...that takes skill and dedication.

Exactly. Bungie should get off their high horse and acknowledge what this dude and his friend achieved. And maybe take a firm look in the mirror and come to terms that their raids are not as hard, nor as tightly designed as they hope it to be. Remember when Luke Smith hyped VoG as something that might take days/weeks for the first people to beat? FUCKING LOL

Ozone

Thursday, 9:00PM EST - Hawkian's Fun Time Happy Newbie Normal/Hard VoG Raid

1. ori0n
2. Ozone (need PSN)
3. Hawkian
4. OPEN
5. OPEN
6. OPEN

These are weekly raids available to all, but intended for newbies to the Vault or those who just aren't comfortable with all aspects of it. Bring your highest leveled character, your best weapon, and your most patient self! All encounters will be explained (quickly, but still) as though it was a new group, so please be willing to listen. These are a great opportunity to take on roles you don't ordinarily get the chance to try- Relic for Templar, inside/outside Gatekeepers, etc.- and just general learn to master the raid. We will employ (or at least demonstrate) tactics for each section that can be applied equally to either Normal or Hard mode. The only restriction on attendance is that participants shouldn't come two weeks in row, just to allow many different GAF Guardians to cycle through. There is no pressure to understand anything before having it explained, and no pointing fingers when things break down. We will laugh at ourselves when we wipe, and then do better the next attempt.

New note: If the group level distribution for one of these is four 30s/two 29s or better, this will shift to becoming a Hard Raid. The biggest restriction by far for a Hard raid is that you cannot revive. If you die, you're dead until the next checkpoint. As a result, it's important to play very conservatively. However, the prospect of having a full six level 30 "newbie" group is becoming more realistic by the day, and I'm confident we could pull it off. However, if you sign up for this run, please do so with the knowledge that it will default to a Normal raid if the numbers aren't in our favor.

Quote and post your PSN for one of the last three slots for tonight! .
ID is Ozone31, and I'll have a headset. Hope I'm not horrible!

LordofPwn

Honestly, much as Gjallarhorn does have the ability to make the encounter easier, there is a legitimate risk of taking the shield down TOO FAST for the swordbearer, and I'm surprised that I don't see that talked about more. The timing of when it goes down in relation to where the swordbearer is at the time is 1500% more important than getting it down as quickly as possible.

It's so fast though that the strategy is simply wait for the sword bearer to say go... and then they leave right after saying that.

zewone

Honestly, much as Gjallarhorn does have the ability to make the encounter easier, there is a legitimate risk of taking the shield down TOO FAST for the swordbearer, and I'm surprised that I don't see that talked about more. The timing of when it goes down in relation to where the swordbearer is at the time is 1500% more important than getting it down as quickly as possible.

The group I run it with has the timing down because we can take the shields down whenever the sword carrier asks.

We have 3 maxed Gjallarhorns on Crota and two Ice Breakers on knight duty.

Our runs are really easy.

joecanada

The group I run it with has the timing down because we can take the shields down whenever the sword carrier asks.

We have 3 maxed Gjallarhorns on Crota and two Ice Breakers on knight duty.

Our runs are really easy.

Lol ya we had three ib and 2 horns, it's about 6 minutes. No damage to anyone

RoKKeR

I ran VoG for the first time last night and despite some of our teammates being painfully bad, it was really cool. Loved the environments and encounter design. I wish they could extend a lot of that to parts of the game that don't require 1-2 hours and a full party of 6 people you can't search for.

Too bad I got shit all. Ascendant Energy for days.

BondFancy

Hey gaf does anyone on Xbox One want to help me beat the part of Crota's End
where you have to beat Ir Yut aka, part before crota

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They actually buffed Ice Breaker recently with the explosion proc'ing every time and +2 to agility.
I think that explosion was always there, but it didn't have that fireball effect. I know I saw it every time I hit a shot anyway.

The +2 replacing Send It or whatever it was is funny though... but then again, I like running the quick scope most of the time anyway.

shh!!! don't give them ideas!
I must admit, I'd like to see a nerf only because I don't have one. :p

Although the bigger problem is basically it becoming the only exotic weapon worth using, to the point where entire strategies are basically boiled down to "use Gjallahorn". lol

Deku Tree

Bungie only nerfs weapons that are Totally OP in PvP. They don't care nearly as much about OP PvE weapons. Their prime directive is to keep people playing and OP PvE weapons is actually good for that...

On topic: tomorrow is Xur Suros day get ready.
Ugh.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Bungie only nerfs weapons that are Totally OP in PvP. They don't care nearly as much about OP PvE weapons. Their prime directive is to keep people playing and OP PvE weapons is actually good for that...

Ugh.
Yet they refuse to sell it to people. :p

I guess the only reason I play VoG now is for a chance at the stupid thing. But if I'm skipping half of it and starting only at the Gorgon chest, is that what they really want?

BondFancy

Ugh.

Pfffffttttt Thorn shreds Suros a new one.

The Fall Will Probably Kill You....

Can you tell me what perks/mod it has from the vendor? It's solid all-around in stats. Don't have one to play with yet.

The Chance from the vendor used to be subpar, but the new version has field scout, which takes the mag from 6 to 13. It's just so good.

It has a default 10 round magazine with return to sender, field scout and mulligan perks.

Top Bottom