• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Hoodbury

And perks? Hmm. I'd take a 30% increase in damage output by being level 31 over extra ammo any day. But different strokes, I guess

Extra damage and extra light doesn't mean anything to crucible players either. Perks and stats matter.

Also, I wonder if a VoC would still be better for a solar burn Nightfall/weekly than a new DLC weapon without any damage type?

Let's pretend for a second that one of the sword wielders is 29
Stuff about (as I call it) stage 2

None of this answers your question:
You start at 'old side', you end at 'new side'.
To get to new side you need to cross a bridge.
-This Bridge can only be crossed while holding a sword

Both sides have a center circle, and two side 'annihilator/totem' circles
-Center circle is the on/off switch for everything on that side
-Center circle starts the encounter
-Center circle constructs the bridge
-Center circle turns on that side's anihilator totem circles
-Anihilator totem goes from blue to red to party wipe
-Standing on the totem circle makes that totem fade to blue
-Standing on the center circle makes both totems fade to red to dead (blue overrides red)
-I'm saying if someone dies/goes off the circle, center circle/plate can go off their circle to stop the totems. they will stay the color level they are currently at until someone goes onto a toem plate (turns blue) or someone stands on center cirlce (turns red)

Center circle constructs a bridge
-A bridge is forming: someone is on center circle, do not cross bridge
-The bridge is fully constructed: A LIE. Bridge is almost complete. Now would be a good time to get a sword and start heading to bridge, then cross when the bridge is no longer transparent
-The bridge is deconstructing: The bridge will start to deconstruct, top down, new side dissapearing first and continuing to old side. Sword holder can stay on center circle to form bridge, kill sword bearer while one circle, pick up sword and get across bridge if they jump and melle glide across at the end.

There is always one of the other, the sword or the swordbearer
-Swordbearer spawns on old side, center room. He then descends staircase and heads to a random circle. Usually left or right totem, but sometimes to center circle.
-Swordbearer regenerates health constantly, and super regens if not hit for a short time.
-Swordbearer drops a sword on death, and spawns a gatekeeper at new side
-Sword fades away after X amount of time, weather someone grabbed it or not. time doesn't change if someone grabs it. example: say the time is 30 seconds. 1 second on ground, picked up, 29 seconds with sword. 25 seconds on ground, picked up, 5 seconds with sword.

Gatekeepers suck
-They can only be damaged by the sword
-They avoid walking into the side totem circles, but freely walk into center circle
-They will walk into the side circle to attack people, then realize they are in the circle and back out. Sometimes this means they will attack once before walking out again.
-They can be killed by many different sword combos. Easiest is ground melee, repeat.
-They attack when facing you. If not facing you, they have to turn to face you.
-^This means you want to attack them from an angle, and they will be 'stun locked' while trying to face you and die to melee melee melee melee melee. No need for fancy melee melee shoot or shoot shoot melee melee melee shoot shoot.

(UNSURE) After the sword has been picked up four times, or after four people cross the bridge, or after 5 sword bearers have been killed, you are near the end of the encounter
-After the first pickup, acolytes and gun knights constanly spawn on new side
-They go anywhere, and can enter any circle
-After the third pickup, wizards spawn
-(UNSURE) After clearing these spawns several times || or || after the fifth sword pick up || or || after a set amount of time after the fourth sword pick up, two ogres will spawn, one left, one right, on new side.
-Killing these two ogres end the encounter
-amount of gatekeepers alive don't matter, most I've seen at once is four (three?), possible there is a max limit to gatekeepers

strat that doesn't answer your question
Form and order, then positions
sword holders 1-3, stay on/near center circle and chase sword bearer
sword holders 4-6, each on a separate circle, stay on circle and focus on your mobs/spawns/adds, ignore swordbearer or you'll die to adds

at start of encounter, 4-6 look at the edge/ledge of circle and kill the 4 thralls that crawl up, then turn around and kill adds as they come frome the same place they always come from.

at start of encounter, 1-3 look up center staircase and kill the swordbearer
1 picks up sword, crosses bridge, kills gatekeeper, then goes to a totem and kills acolytes/knights
repeat for 2
repeat for 3, 3 stays at center circle
if gatekeepers are alive, center circle can repeatedly double jump to avoid gatekeepers while constructing bridge. note if you jump too high, bridge will deconstruct so try not to both jump too high or stay up high too long

4-6 can get off circles after 3 crosses the bridge. adds on old side ramp up in difficulty then. 4-6 should retreat up the stairs to where you first spawn, or jump over to a side circle on the left. then they can snipe the sword bearer and 4 can cross the bridge and assist where needed. repeat for 5-6.

after 5 crosses, 6 might notice the spawns on old side despawn except for swordbearer. this means ogre can/will/have already spawned. you can either keep crossing the bridge, or stay behind and snipe the orges. either way you can finish without 6 crossing.

at this point everyone can leave circles. one silly strategy I used was to run up the center staircase and be touching the door with the green light. from here thralls and other enemies don't run all the way up to you (most times) and everything else can be shot down before they reach you. ogres can be stun locked with ice breaker crit shots and shouldn't be an issue

Titans: Striker blind grenade gatekeepers, they should go first and grenade each gatekeeper as the swordholder approches.
Hunters: Cloak to revive people, or cloak with clock super with melee cloak to stay on center circle long enough to form bridge and get 4, 5, or 6 across
Warlocks: I dunno. Play like you always do~ Solar grenade to keep gatekeepers away from you. float just above a gatekeepers head. maybe aim float to stay up longer?

To answer your question
After trying different annoying rage inducing things, we put our 29 as sword holder 1 (or 2?) to beat it

sooo.....one of our raid mates discovered this during the Crota's End last section.

image is a spoiler: https://scontent-a-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net...076_994682470545825_8648876329382483277_o.jpg

what does this mean?

No idea what triggered it, a teammate managed to spot it and called it out, none of us saw it but he saved an image and video. Will link if it's uploaded. He also shot it and it was predictably immune.

None of us could get up there when we tried it at the beginning without triggering the start because of an invisible wall.

Deku Tree

Sounds like it's better already cuz it does more dmg, right?

That's what I want to know. I don't know if it does more damage but it has the "rockets create cluster bombs when they detonate perk". I guess we will have to wait for tests to see how much damage it does.

No. Wolfpack Rounds are what makes the GH so good. Cluster explosions aren't in the same league.

How can you be 100% sure?

Probably around 99% of the Destiny player population.

Yeah, people definitely lose sight of that in this thread.

We are among the hardest of the hardcore, to spend all of our gaming time playing the game and most of our days browsing forums and threads related to it. We are the 1%, and we often lose sight of that when it comes to some of this stuff.

Yeah, I'm confused about this. I thought the cost of the upgrade was one exotic shard + 7000 glimmer. I'd never heard there was a 7 coin cost besides that which it'd cost you if you don't have a shard.

I think there was some speculation around this when the announcement was first made. Nothing concrete that I've seen, though.

Regardless, he's right though, I think. Makes more sense to buy a brand new one than turn yours in.

Necrochasm starts as common you upgrade to legendary with an item from Eris.

The item you need to get to make it an exotic probably drops from hard raid still:

destiny_necrochasm.jpg

Question is, how do we acquire the common version of the gun first? From Eris?

Stuff about (as I call it) stage 2

None of this answers your question:
To answer your question
After trying different annoying rage inducing things, we put our 29 as sword holder 1 (or 2?) to beat it

Whole write-up much appreciated. Good refresher for tonight's attempts. We basically had it last night, but people had to go to bed. I (our 29) was going over on the 3rd gatekeeper, as we had two titans over there able to flashbang for me.

MADGAME

I'm fairly sure it's just the glimmer and the shard to upgrade to unlevelled vanilla exotic 2.0.

Yeah, I'm confused about this. I thought the cost of the upgrade was one exotic shard + 7000 glimmer. I'd never heard there was a 7 coin cost besides that which it'd cost you if you don't have a shard.

The price we were told to upgrade was 7k glimmer plus one exotic shard. Then you'll need one more exotic shard to max your upgraded weapon. The price to buy a new weapon is 17 coins for a secondary or heavy exotic or 23 coins for a primary exotic. Then you'll also need an exotic shard to upgrade it fully.

I would guess armor was similar although for armor at 13 strange coins it's not clear that it is a better deal to upgrade vs buy new however no guarantee that he'll offer upgrades for the same things that he is selling.

Sorry guys I derp'd big time. 7k Glimmer plus + Shard to upgrade, coins + Shard to buy. I have an abundance of coins, glimmer is capped at 25k which means at most you can upgrade 3 out the gate if you are maxed and would have to go farm more glitter. I'll bet taking the "purchase new" route over "rexurbish" when possible.

Here is another strat to defeat
Crota
from "up top":

Seems quicker to get in and get out from there, we should definitely try it out.

Deku Tree

sooo.....one of our raid mates discovered this during the Crota's End last section.

image is a spoiler: https://scontent-a-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net...076_994682470545825_8648876329382483277_o.jpg

what does this mean?

No idea what triggered it, a teammate managed to spot it and called it out, none of us saw it but he saved an image and video. Will link if it's uploaded. He also shot it and it was predictably immune.

None of us could get up there when we tried it at the beginning without triggering the start because of an invisible wall.

Weird... maybe he stays up there the whole time to prevent you from going in there and just killing the knights where they spawn. It could be cheese prevention... I wonder if you can kill him with the sword and if it does anything though?

Anyone have a go to glitter farming method?

Exclusion zone. Kill all the yellow bar enemies at the beginning and leave the big shield guy alive, once you've killed everyone else let shield guy kill you, then repeat. Oh and always be popping a "resupply code" which you will get a lot more of while doing this method. Should reach the glimmer cap from zero in 1-2 hours (closer to one) if you do it right.

About to start the weekly on 30. Anyone fancy joining me. Psn is same as gaf. 29+ pls. I don't have an arc primary to carry anyone lower. Apols.

Hoodbury

Whole write-up much appreciated. Good refresher for tonight's attempts. We basically had it last night, but people had to go to bed. I (our 29) was going over on the 3rd gatekeeper, as we had two titans over there able to flashbang for me.

I wonder if we should switch you to going second? I haven't been to the other side yet so I don't know how hard it is over there but maybe it'd be better to get you over sooner?

Sorry guys I derp'd big time. 7k Glimmer plus + Shard to upgrade, coins + Shard to buy. I have an abundance of coins, glimmer is capped at 25k which means at most you can upgrade 3 out the gate if you are maxed and would have to go farm more glitter. I'll bet taking the "purchase new" route over "rexurbish" when possible.

Seems quicker to get in and get out from there, we should definitely try it out.

Do you still need a shard to fill in the last bubble if you buy it with a shard? If so, it's 2 shards + coins to upgrade and max, versus coins and 1 shard to buy and max.

I wonder if we should switch you to going second? I haven't been to the other side yet so I don't know how hard it is over there but maybe it'd be better to get you over sooner?

I think if X-Frame can flashbang him, yeah, I should be fine. Then we have more 30s on the other side to clean up adds / swordbearer more efficiently. Worth a shot tonight.

what does this mean?
Looks like it's there as a cheese prevention. I was close to getting up there as a Warlock.

MAD did you finish the raid yet? Saw you on it yesterday.

Bizazedo

Damn.

Too bad that one is an easy fix. They're going to turn the zones up there into kill zones.
I really wonder if this was the main reason they held off releasing the hard version. We've debated it, and I assume it is, but knocking out / fixing cheese this way is probably much easier for them.

VoG is still relevant, they just need to fix the exotics to have new stats.

Given how easy VoG is now, that would be a bad idea from a "Don't make it too easy to get Exotics!" point of view.

Of course, you're talking to someone who still thinks the Gjallahorn is an insane rocket launcher.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Exclusion zone. Kill all the yellow bar enemies at the beginning and leave the big shield guy alive, once you've killed everyone else let shield guy kill you, then repeat. Oh and always be popping a "resupply code" which you will get a lot more of while doing this method. Should reach the glimmer cap from zero in 1-2 hours (closer to one) if you do it right.

Sweet, thanks for the details.

gdt

Rahool's package gave me the most amazing Scout Rifle. Has Firefly and Outlaw....holy shit.

Another new one that has meh perks but the rate of fire is insane.

Bizazedo

Why aren't you sending him over 4th or 5th out of curiosity? It's not like he can't hide in safety when the job of keeping the bridge open switches to the opposite side + it'll allow more higher leveled people over there to fend off the baddies.
Query?

Out 1

Say Xur is selling the Sunbreakers and the upgrade option for them. If you buy the new item and dismantle your old Sunbreakers it costs 13 coins and gives you a shard. If you upgrade the existing Sunbreakers and buy the shard it costs you 14 coins.

Why aren't you sending him over 4th or 5th out of curiosity? It's not like he can't hide in safety when the job of keeping the bridge open switches to the opposite side + it'll allow more higher leveled people over there to fend off the baddies.
Query?

I've found the other side to be less hectic than the beginning side. By less hectic, I mean easier to hide on top of a pillar. Then I can shoot stuff from up there and still provide for the group, without constantly being revived.
Open to suggestions, though!

Weird... maybe he stays up there the whole time to prevent you from going in there and just killing the knights where they spawn. It could be cheese prevention... I wonder if you can kill him with the sword and if it does anything though?

Looks like it's there as a cheese prevention. I was close to getting up there as a Warlock.

You cannot get up there at all. There's an invisible barrier blocking your way if you manage to get enough lift.

Also

The Gatekeeper is not supposed to be there at all. No Gatekeeper spawns over there but for some reason this one did. Not clear what exactly we did so that it spawned. Will have to watch the video

phen0m24

Sweet, thanks for the details.

If the shield guy killing you seems to take forever...

Stand in front of a rock. His shield bash sends you into the rock which kills you instantly.

Or just shoot a rock with a rocket at close range. LOL

matmanx1

Anyone done the nightfall at 29 without feeling like a burden?

Our Warlock buddy who runs with us is still 29 and he did well. He mainly focused on the thralls and other adds and used Murmur to pretty good effect on everything.

Omnigul is the worst strike in the game. Even on lower difficulties it's rubbish. Extremely short, mostly rehashed areas and an end boss that is absolutely no fun to fight.

Like holy fuck bungie, all that feedback about strikes and boss fights and you came up with this?

I liked it. I thought the last part was pretty tense and tactical with things being able to come at you from several directions. Combined with the mobility of the wizards it really kept us on our toes. I certainly liked it better than Phogoth, if that means anything.

Deku Tree

I really wonder if this was the main reason they held off releasing the hard version. We've debated it, and I assume it is, but knocking out / fixing cheese this way is probably much easier for them.

I thought this too... but then I realized something... to get to level 32 you need to get a 3 CE pieces of RAID armor and one exotic all fully upgraded. I now have three pieces of CE raid armor myself and I hope to buy an exotic helm with 36 light from Xur this weekend. However to fully upgrade the RAID armor you need 21 "radiant shards" per piece. And Radiant shards only drop in the CE raid. And it looks like they made it so that even if you beat the raid three times a week every week then it will still take quite many weeks to get 63 radiant shards to fully upgrade your CE raid armor... I also expect that the hard CE raid is going to be just pretty close to impossible for many gamers if you don't have mostly 32's. So if all that is true then it would be pointless to release the hard CE raid right now while it seems like it will take a lot of grinding for everybody to get to 32.

Of course if anyone finds cheese they will definitely take it out before the hard CE raid ships.

Hoodbury

Query?

we were still getting overwhelmed on the original side with the sword bearers and other knights coming, so I was thinking keeping another 30 over there instead of his wimpy 29 hunter would help us out. But again like I said, I don't really know what's going on over on the new side so not sure if just a 30 and him can hold that side until the 3rd guy goes over

zewone

I thought this too... but then I realized something... to get to level 32 you need to get a 3 CE pieces of RAID armor and one exotic all fully upgraded. I now have three pieces of CE raid armor myself and I hope to buy an exotic helm with 36 light from Xur this weekend. However to fully upgrade the RAID armor you need 21 "radiant shards" per piece. And Radiant shards only drop in the CE raid. And it looks like they made it so that even if you beat the raid three times a week every week then it will still take quite many weeks to get 63 radiant shards to fully upgrade your CE raid armor... I also expect that the hard CE raid is going to be just pretty close to impossible for many gamers if you don't have mostly 32's. So if all that is true then it would be pointless to release the hard CE raid right now while it seems like it will take a lot of grinding for everybody to get to 32.

But if hard was available and cheese methods were found, people would be clearing out hard raid, even at lower levels and have the great gear.

I am going with the theory it's to find the cheeses before release.

You do not need 2 exotic shards aka 14 coins to upgrade an exotic from Xur. You just need the original item, one exotic shard (7 coins or dismantle an exotic) and 7k glimmer.

This was confirmed in the Game Informer writeup.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...low-new-details-on-the-destiny-expansion.aspx

Here’s how it works. Upgrading exotic weapons and armor is completed by interacting with the weekend vendor, Xur. When he arrives every Friday morning, he will now have a new option to upgrade one of your equipped exotic items. Each week, he’ll offer some (but not all) exotic items as being available to upgrade.

You’ll need three things. First, you need to own the original version of that exotic item, and turn it in to exchange for the upgraded version. It doesn’t matter if this old version of the item is brand new or fully upgraded. To complete the upgrade, you’ll also need to turn in an exotic shard. This recently introduced new material is available for purchase for seven strange coins from Xur, or by breaking down another existing exotic item in your inventory. Finally, each exotic upgrade costs a hefty dose of cash – around 7000 glimmer as of my playthrough of the expansion in mid-November. After turning all three of these things into Xur, he’ll hand you a brand new version of your item with a higher defense or attack value cap.

I think people are confusing the fact that you'll need another exotic shard to max the newly upgraded exotic.

Deku Tree

But if hard was available and cheese methods were found, people would be clearing out hard raid, even at lower levels and have the great gear.

I am going with the theory it's to find the cheeses before release.

Hey I agree with you. I'm just saying that's probably not the only reason.

No. It gets 30 light with the first radiant upgrade, followed by 33, then 36.

Is this confirmed?

EL CUCO

Here is another strat to defeat
Crota
from "up top":
http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2oyc1f/crota_kill_sword_user_perspective/[/spoiler]

Looks a bit better for Ogres but seems riskier overall since boomer Knights are a constant threat. I just watched Datto wipe 40 times using this strat. He refused to use the room downstairs.

Also, something I noticed watching the stream just now. After Crota recovers from the first round of sword shots, he has an animation in which his shield takes zero damage. Last night we were firing on him almost instantly after he started getting up again. We need to wait a couple seconds till Crota is standing straight and looking towards us before firing on the 2nd round.

That's why he was taking 4 Gjallarhorns like a champ, and we all thought it was because we didn't have Weapons of light for the 2nd go around

MADGAME

MAD did you finish the raid yet? Saw you on it yesterday.

Hey look who it is :)

Nope. We dropped by Crota's place, said hi and visited for a bit. Only a matter of time before we evict him and redecorate, hopefully tonight. Will be farming this one for a while, methinks.

Do you still need a shard to fill in the last bubble if you buy it with a shard? If so, it's 2 shards + coins to upgrade and max, versus coins and 1 shard to buy and max.

Not even sure anymore. We will know tomorrow, I apologize for seemingly confusing the issue. Even if you don't need 14 coins, I would prefer to buy new to save the glimmer if the exotic is being sold. If you don't have coins to spare, may not be an option.

Top Bottom