• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

zewone

I think people are confusing the "exotics level faster" with less XP requirements.

I'm almost positive the only reason they would level faster is that Ass Mats are no longer required.

Bizazedo

we were still getting overwhelmed on the original side with the sword bearers and other knights coming, so I was thinking keeping another 30 over there instead of his wimpy 29 hunter would help us out. But again like I said, I don't really know what's going on over on the new side so not sure if just a 30 and him can hold that side until the 3rd guy goes over

Suggestion. There are many ways to complete it, of course, but....
If, after the third person gets over, the original side hightail it up the steps to your original spawn point, they're basically completely safe. You get two thralls which spawn occasionally and run out, but so long as you don't block them, they will literally run right by you down to the bottom.

You can then safely pick them / swordbearer off at leisure from on-high.

Can also do this from a few pillars, but jumping / tomb raider skills / effort, blargh.

Obviously, I'd send the 29 over 4th or worst case scenario 5th since his damage is helping the least killing the following swordbearers, but I imagine it'd help to have 3 30's on the other side when he arrives.

Two cents, etc.

zewone

Is this confirmed?

Yes. I leveled up the first shard bubble on my gear and it's at 30 light.

QokwzAP.png

Wow. So this confirms that you technically dont need anybody on the other side of the bridge. The objective is simply kill adds till Ogres show up.
adds (then ogres) don't spawn unless a condition is met
-sword goes across
-or there is no one left on old side

by jumping up there, the game thinks there's no one left on old side, so it starts the ogre spawns, which in turn activates the first acolyte/knight spawns

LkPr

I think people are confusing the "exotics level faster" with less XP requirements.

I'm almost positive the only reason they would level faster is that Ass Mats are no longer required.

Are you sure there isn't a lower XP requirement. Reading the game informer it states

With that said, the process of upgrading exotic items is now faster, and does not require ascendant materials.

If it was only faster to upgrade the exotics because they no longer require the mats it should have read something like

With that said, the process of upgrading exotic items is now faster AS IT does not require ascendant materials.

So I got picked the exotic bounty for the Bad Juju over Pocket Infinity. Besides the fact that I don't have 10 blue fusion rifles to dismantle, ever since the buff Bad Juju has been awesome. I made the right choice, right guys?

Now I just want the Icebreaker/Gjallahorn upgrades and all my other exotics can stay as is.

I wish I was home playing Destiny right about now. First exam is done. Second isn't for another hour. Kill me please.

Tell me about it. My final isn't until 7 hours from now, but I'm in the library "studying" all day.

If, after the third person gets over, the original side hightail it up the steps to your original spawn point, they're basically completely safe. You get two thralls which spawn occasionally and run out, but so long as you don't block them, they will literally run right by you down to the bottom.

Can also do this from a few pillars, but jumping / tomb raider skills / effort, blargh.

Obviously, I'd send the 29 over 4th or worst case scenario 5th since his damage is helping the least killing the following swordbearers, but I imagine it'd help to have 3 30's on the other side when he arrives.

Two cents, etc.

That's intriguing... Noted for later. Thanks very much!

EL CUCO

adds (then ogres) don't spawn unless a condition is met
-sword goes across
-or there is no one left on old side

by jumping up there, the game thinks there's no one left on old side, so it starts the ogre spawns, which in turn activates the first acolyte/knight spawns

Makes sense! Thanks

zewone

Are you sure there isn't a lower XP requirement. Reading the game informer it states

"With that said, the process of upgrading exotic items is now faster, and does not require ascendant materials."

If it was only faster to upgrade the exotics because they no longer require the mats it should have read something like

With that said, the process of upgrading exotic items is now faster AS IT does not require ascendant materials.

I don't have any new exotics, but hopefully someone who does can test it out and see if the XP values are different.

Two cents, etc.

Maybe not the best strategy, but our group had our 29 go 5th. The Gatekeeper was kited to the bridge button so that our 29 could start attacking him as quickly as possible. Upon reaching the other side, our 29 got instantly bitchslapped and died, dropping the sword. A nearby 30 just picked it up and killed the Gatekeeper.

Honestly, that actually worked really well. We were able to get our 6th across no problem and revive our dead 29 with time to spare.

LiK

I barely played more than five minutes of Far Cry 4. Dragon Age got my undivided attention for the second half of November and then The Dark Below came along.

My stack has gone from 10 games to 20. Too many sales in the past few weeks. I hope we get it done tonight.

patchday

I thought this too... but then I realized something... to get to level 32 you need to get a 3 CE pieces of RAID armor and one exotic all fully upgraded. I now have three pieces of CE raid armor myself and I hope to buy an exotic helm with 36 light from Xur this weekend. However to fully upgrade the RAID armor you need 21 "radiant shards" per piece. And Radiant shards only drop in the CE raid. And it looks like they made it so that even if you beat the raid three times a week every week then it will still take quite many weeks to get 63 radiant shards to fully upgrade your CE raid armor... I also expect that the hard CE raid is going to be just pretty close to impossible for many gamers if you don't have mostly 32's. So if all that is true then it would be pointless to release the hard CE raid right now while it seems like it will take a lot of grinding for everybody to get to 32.

Of course if anyone finds cheese they will definitely take it out before the hard CE raid ships.

Huh, you guys already got 3 pieces? Is this fairly typical? They really improved the drop rate then.

I'm guessing you were just lucky tho or had 3 characters of same class?

(I dont have new dlc, so I'm curious)

Hey look who it is :)

Nope. We dropped by Crota's place, said hi and visited for a bit. Only a matter of time before we evict him and redecorate, hopefully tonight. Will be farming this one for a while, methinks.
That's what I did as well. Got to Crota but was a pain with a full team of 30.

Let me know if you end up having a spot for your main or any of your other characters. Need to do it on my other 2 as well.

Bizazedo

Huh, you guys already got 3 pieces? Is this fairly typical? They really improved the drop rate then.

All radiants here, holla.

He's a lucky person.

Mindlog

Maybe not the best strategy, but our group had our 29 go 5th. The Gatekeeper was kited to the bridge button so that our 29 could start attacking him as quickly as possible. Upon reaching the other side, our 29 got instantly bitchslapped and died, dropping the sword. A nearby 30 just picked it up and killed the Gatekeeper.

Honestly, that actually worked really well. We were able to get our 6th across no problem and revive our dead 29 with time to spare.
Which raises the question. Why not just have the 29 drop the sword as soon as it crosses?

My Titan got gloves from the first section, as did my hunter. Everybody in my group got at least one piece.

Dave_6

Okay, VoG is still relevant if you haven't done the new raid and got new raid armour or you desperately need materials for some reason (I guess I'm one of the few who ran multiple raids per week and stocked up on everything?). But all the weapon and armour drops have been nullified at this point. Which is a big reason why people were doing it, I think. Or at least the people I was with /shrugs

Still. They could have increased the level of enemies and buffed all the equipment to level 31 at least.

And perks? Hmm. I'd take a 30% increase in damage output by being level 31 over extra ammo any day. But different strokes, I guess

Not all of us have/had the time to have 3 characters that can run the VoG multiple times a week. I've had one character that was raid capable and was never able to clear the normal for the first time until about 3 or 4 weeks ago. My 2nd character was finally to a 26 just last week. I have a full time job working ~11 hours a day and I can't sit and play this all day every day. I have 9 energies in the vault and have multiple weapons right now that need them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Say Xur is selling the Sunbreakers and the upgrade option for them. If you buy the new item and dismantle your old Sunbreakers it costs 13 coins and gives you a shard. If you upgrade the existing Sunbreakers and buy the shard it costs you 14 coins.
I'm so confused. How do you need 14 coins in the latter scenario? I really don't think this is correct.

Ambitious

What's everyone's go-to method for increasing vanguard or faction rank as quickly as possible? Gotta get them commendations!

So far I only did bounties, but I'd like to try a new method sometime in the next few days: Rep boosting by doing patrol missions with a fireteam.

1) Land on a planet with a team of three
2) Split up. Each player goes to a different area of the planet
3) One starts a patrol mission, everyone participates.
4) Repeat until all missions are done. Go to orbit, start again from step 1.

For missions where you have to kill X enemies, everyone can simply shoot any enemies around him. For missions where you have to go to a specific location (VIP kills, scouting missions, scanning missions), only the player closest to that location needs to go. The others can gather materials in the meantime, for instance.

Deku Tree

Yes. I leveled up the first shard bubble on my gear and it's at 30 light.

QokwzAP.png

Wow. That is horrible. I was looking forward to using the raid armor perks but it's not worth it until I have 14 radiant shards and can wear it at level 31. Or until I fully upgrade an exotic to 36 light and I have 7 radiant shards.

Which raises the question. Why not just have the 29 drop the sword as soon as it crosses?

After that scenario worked out for us, I think it is plenty plausible that it is a good strategy should you be bringing a 29 into the raid.

Granted, once we got to the
summoning room
and saw the mobs were 32 I called the raid and said we'd reconvene Sunday when we had a few 31's. 29 is really not a huge liability until you get through the
bridge section

Namikaze1

I got jackshit from Crota's End so far. LiK, the raid has a thing against us two. You got Radiant Shard/Energy, I got the same. It'll be hilarious if we both end up getting some exotic while the others get shard/energy once we beat Crota.

MADGAME

That's what I did as well. Got to Crota but was a pain with a full team of 30.

Let me know if you end up having a spot for your main or any of your other characters. Need to do it on my other 2 as well.

Definitely. I'm at Crota on main, going to try to finish that with the group I started with, then need to run through the raid on my two alts.

Raid reunion!

spyder_ur

Hey look who it is :)

Nope. We dropped by Crota's place, said hi and visited for a bit. Only a matter of time before we evict him and redecorate, hopefully tonight. Will be farming this one for a while, methinks.

Are we still a go for tonight around 6:30 EST? Haven't seen anything about a full group. Just wondering if I should rush to get home tonight - don't want to hold things up.

I'm so confused. How do you need 14 coins in the latter scenario? I really don't think this is correct.

Yeah I think people are misunderstanding how the upgrade process works.

To do the upgrade you need:

-Old item

-Shard

-7k glimmer.

How you get that shard is up to you, but at the most, it will cost you 7 coins. It will never cost you 14 coins!

LiK

I got jackshit from Crota's End so far. LiK, the raid has a thing against us two. You got Radiant Shard/Energy, I got the same. It'll be hilarious if we both end up getting some exotic while the others get shard/energy once we beat Crota.

It hates badass Titans. I've noticed this.

stb

Not all of us have/had the time to have 3 characters that can run the VoG multiple times a week. I've had one character that was raid capable and was never able to clear the normal for the first time until about 3 or 4 weeks ago. My 2nd character was finally to a 26 just last week. I have a full time job working ~11 hours a day and I can't sit and play this all day every day. I have 9 energies in the vault and have multiple weapons right now that need them.

I'm in a similar boat, here. I don't have any alts at all. I'm just resigned to the fact that I'll always be a little behind. I wasn't quite ready to have HM VoG on farm when TDB came out, and I won't quite have CE on farm when HoW comes out.

Not worth stressing over. This is supposed to be fun.

Hoodbury

Scarlet can correct me if I'm wrong but he shouldn't have any issue killing the gatekeeper if he gets across fast enough due to us having a titan on the other side already who flashes the gatekeeper. Our problem was timing killing the sword guy and getting the bridge up at the correct times so that the sword doesn't vanish. Really more just an execution problem on our part for those of us still on the original side.

I need to load up Rumble and leave my contoller alone for a good couple of hours. While everyone else mops the floor with my poor hunter, I'll get the last laugh when I walk away with tons of new exotics and legendaries.

Has anyone thought about glimmer farming on the stairs of the Undying Mind strike with the legions of yellow Vex? It was nearly unending last night in Vanguard ROC. Good luck getting randoms to play that strike with you after about a week or two.

zewone

Upgrading an old Sunbreaker: initial cost of 7K glimmer and an exotic shard. Will eventually need an exotic shard to max. (14 coins)

Buying a Sunbreaker.. initial cost of 13 coins. Will eventually cost an exotic shard. (20 coins)

If you go with buying it, you can scrap the other duplicate and reduce the cost by 7 coins, which equals 13 coins total.

This scenario only works for cheaper items.

Deku Tree

Don't really know what is typical. It is possible I was very lucky. I personally think Bungie dramatically increased the chances of armor drops. They said they were improving the loot tables. But only time will tell. The flip side is that they made it so that upgrading your raid armor required a lot more raid grinding. The only way to get these radiant shards to upgrade your armor is to run the raid and you get very few of them each raid too and you need a lot of them to upgrade your armor...

Scarlet can correct me if I'm wrong but he shouldn't have any issue killing the gatekeeper if he gets across fast enough due to us having a titan on the other side already who flashes the gatekeeper. Our problem was timing killing the sword guy and getting the bridge up at the correct times so that the sword doesn't vanish. Really more just an execution problem on our part for those of us still on the original side.

Well, the Gatekeeper definitely one shots me. So there's that risk with me doing it...

LiK

I need to load up Rumble and leave my contoller alone for a good couple of hours. While everyone else mops the floor with my poor hunter, I'll get the last laugh when I walk away with tons of new exotics and legendaries.

I should do this later this week and see what happens. BE THE ASSHOLE

Maybe we were lucky, but we never had that issue.

As soon as we had 3 across the bridge, we made those 3 keep the bridge open instead of the original side. One person under each totem and one in the middle. The people who already had crossed helped snipe the Swordbearer and the people on the original side just found safe places off the ground to kill non-thrall mobs and the swordbearer.

We never ran into a timing issue because we were able to keep the bridge up at all times.

Top Bottom