• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

I was really curious about the Aris quest that had me getting that Urn for Xur, right until the follow up quest appeared. Fusion rifle kills only?

Ditched the quest, went to do the daily and was reminded level 28 missions were discarded. I'm rapidly losing interest in the game. :\

But you could have gotten some armour to raise your light level.

Deku Tree

I'm gonna delete my Titan and start a hunter. I want to keep my two warlocs but I want to try out a new class and I got gloves and chest with 33 light for hunter from engrams too. Don't want to grind up to get armor for my Titan. And then I can get the hunter mastery trophy too.

ocean

Banned
I was really curious about the Aris quest that had me getting that Urn for Xur, right until the follow up quest appeared. Fusion rifle kills only?

Ditched the quest, went to do the daily and was reminded level 28 missions were discarded. I'm rapidly losing interest in the game. :\

If you have a solar Fusion Rifle it's not a hard bounty! The first mission on the moon ("We've woken the hive!") has a ton of Thralls who rush you. The thralls leave some items behind - since the bounty's count resets per death, you just leave them on the floor. Get yourself killed and you'll respawn with the same thrall wave and all the old items still on the ground. Two runs should be enough for you to pick everything up if you ran the mission on Heroic (level 9)!

That said, the later bounties sound tedious so you may wanna read what they are before investing time in starting the quest. If you're under leveled it's a good idea though since it will reward you a pair of 33 Light Gauntlets.

I'm buying three exotic helm engrams too ... 23 motes is cheap for an exotic shard.

Yeah it really is. I had 133 of them too.

I got Obsidian Mind (new one for Warlock), upgraded Knucklehead (never had it for my Hunter), and upgraded Insurmountable (had the old one for my Titan so I got an exotic shard out of it).

Damn good luck with these engrams! I want to roll more! hahaha
I think I will just save them, as I upgraded all the armour Xur had today, other than Sunbreakers, and all 3 classes I have got all their gear to get to 31 now. Just my Titan is at 31 now, will work on the other 2 over the next week.

It is REALLY lame that most of these "upgrades" have shittier stats, I think only 1 was an improvement. WTF Bungie!!!

spyder_ur

So I did Crota's end last night in a group led by Madgame, and then later joined up to an existing game at the end, but faded and didn't finish. Here's some thoughts:

It's freaking awesome. Seriously, I love that you just get in and go this time. The first area is such a thrill - some of the most fun I've had playing a game in awhile. Everything up to Crota is hectic and fast. The bridge part is very cool - I had no idea what was going on but at some point loot popped up and the last member of our team was dead on the other side. Different feel to all the confluxes, portals, oracles and Templar taking his time in VoG.

That being said, I didn't like the Crota fight as much as the rest as it does go back to that template of waiting and cycling. It's not bad by any means, but I preferred the rest of the raid. It really seems 100% to be about timing.

As a 30, it didn't feel that bad. I wasn't dying all that often, and only really felt like I was weak when shooting the level 32 knights. Gjallahorn absolutely cleans up in this raid.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
What? IB is my go to weapon for the final part of the raid. The only better weapon is Gjallahorn IMO. Nothing like doing massive damage to you foes with one shot.

In what part was an IB more useful than, say, a VoC and an exotic rocket launcher? I feel like rockets > all else.

this is a joke, right?

I've done the raid, didn't see what part where IB was more useful than rockets/VoC, but you can elaborate maybe? :)

X-Frame

I have enough motes to buy a couple engrams from Xur, but I want to hold onto them until I see how they may be used in the next Iron Banner next week.

If Lord Saladin is selling badass Level 331 Attack weapons I may want to use them to re-roll.

Hedgey

drEbg.jpg

Got a new Titan helmet from an engram. Honestly I'm going to miss the VoG Raid Helmet.

Wallach

icebreaker and gjallarhorn run the raid

I'm probably going to run Black Hammer over Ice Breaker next time. Exotic heavies all day.

Here's a random question, do you need to fully upgrade an exotic weapon to get 2 exotic shards when you delete it?

Not completely. I didn't have the final node on my old SGA when I dismantled it and still got 2 Exotic Shards. I'm not sure if you need to progress to a certain point to get 2 or if it is just random.

ocean

Banned
Ice Breaker upgrade the very first week - Xûr, you've done well. This weapon is everything.

Help me understand damage scaling in the game. Going back to Vault of Glass as a 31 won't let me do more damage than I did at 30 if I recall correctly. Will having weapons over 300 attack make a difference though? Or is damage output also somehow limited?

spyder_ur

It would have been nice to have the quest that ends in higher level gloves before, you know, I went and already bought those. Another thing needlessly timed to Xur.

In what part was an IB more useful than, say, a VoC and an exotic rocket launcher? I feel like rockets > all else.

I've done the raid, didn't see what part where IB was more useful than rockets/VoC, but you can elaborate maybe? :)

You can switch between weapons, you know.

And it came it pretty handy during the
bridge section to help on the other side and the liturgy part. I even used a shotgun during that part so nothing is useless.

Also not everyone has a Gjallarhorn. I do, but not everyone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm probably going to run Black Hammer over Ice Breaker next time. Exotic heavies all day.

Not completely. I didn't have the final node on my old SGA when I dismantled it and still got 2 Exotic Shards. I'm not sure if you need to progress to a certain point to get 2 or if it is just random.
Hrm. I don't want to level my old Bad Juju and Pocket Infinity, but I also don't want to miss out on a free shard... damn it. lol

commish

You can switch between weapons, you know.

And it came it pretty handy during the
bridge section to help on the other side and the liturgy part. I even used a shotgun during that part so nothing is useless.

Also not everyone has a Gjallarhorn. I do, but not everyone.

Okay, well, I didn't mean *useless* but it's far from required, and I think other weapons are better. Even if you don't have a ballerhorn, everyone should at least have a truth. Even at the part you mention, I could just use a legendary sniper.

Rubenov

Icebreaker really doesn't need to be upgraded... there's no point in the raid where it's useful, and I don't think there's level 31+ enemies anywhere else, right?

WAT? It's VERY useful throughout the raid. And it will do more damage to all high level bosses.

You need to crit. with a fully upgraded Icebreaker to down Lvl 32 Knights... hopefully upgrading it will bring it down to perhaps a crit + a body shot.

Jito

Banned
Eugh the amount of grinding I'll have to do to just to get enough coins to upgrade my Exotics is pretty disheartening. Why did you put more grinding in Bungie?!

And I've just progressed a Exotic bounty to Defeat 10000 Guardians in the Crucible, what the fuck?! That's going to take months!

LiK

Got a new Titan helmet from an engram. Honestly I'm going to miss the VoG Raid Helmet.

Uglier than expected. Was hoping the "glass" was more silverish. Dat blue/green hue. I hope I get it anyway just to have a new exotic helm to get to 31.

PuMa

Man Black Hammer is ridiculous in PvE. With how easy it often is to score crits on bosses you can just rail on them without even reloading or spending ammo. It hits like a truck too and you can get Perfect Stability to make chaining easier.

I want!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Icebreaker really doesn't need to be upgraded... there's no point in the raid where it's useful, and I don't think there's level 31+ enemies anywhere else, right?

Do you even play Destiny?

Ice Breaker is like the go to Sniper 90% of the fucking time
It's ammo refresh alone negates Juggler on NF/Weekly

Also getting it to 331 is necessary, if you haven't heard the new Raid Boss and Trash that comes along for the ride is level 32 in Crota's End
My 300 IB was doing less damage to them, you could tell that at level 30 + 300 IB it would take roughly 5 precision shots to drop the Gold level 32 Knights
Once I hit 31 and used IB, it took 4 shots, I'm guessing, 3 once it's fully leveled up and then once you hit 32, 1-2 shots easily

WOL + IB on Atheon on Hard mode nets you 17,000+ damage per precision shot
Land all 6, you rip a chunk off that trapezoid fuck

flkraven

Of course. I spend all my vanguard marks on a new 33 light armor, and Xur doesn't offer an upgrade for either of my exotic helmets. This is going to be a fucking painful wait, isnt it?

Edit: This having to wait week after week for the chance to upgrade a piece of exotic armor feels like the mechanics of an iOS game.

void666

Banned
Every piece of armor i have requires helium filaments to upgrade. It seems i'll have to do some old fashioned chest farming. Oh god...

commish

WAT? It's VERY useful throughout the raid. And it will do more damage to all high level bosses.

You need to crit. with a fully upgraded Icebreaker to down Lvl 32 Knights... hopefully upgrading it will bring it down to perhaps a crit + a body shot.

I guess I prefer to use an exotic heavy and a legendary sniper, especially since a legendary sniper is more stable and can shoot repeated crits easier (though I think we've all mastered the flick down aiming required with the IB by now). And if a level 32 knight is around, he's eating a rocket :)

Wallach

Yeah, I often will just use a legendary sniper for just that reason. Exotic heavies just too good.

I think Ice Breaker is quite good for the raid - I was using it in our first Crota kill - but Black Hammer seems like it might just be outright superior with decent aim and it frees up my heavy for a future Gjallarhorn or Dragon's Breath or something.

Okay, well, I didn't mean *useless* but it's far from required, and I think other weapons are better. Even if you don't have a ballerhorn, everyone should at least have a truth. Even at the part you mention, I could just use a legendary sniper.

Yeah, you could. IB is better than all of them.

Truth isn't worth your exotic slot in this raid. VoG maybe, but this? Fuck no.

EL CUCO

VoC doesn't stagger Knights and Rocket ammo is unreliable. IB is clutch during
tower Knight patrol at Crota
or sniping down Wizards.

X-Frame

Ice Breaker upgrade the very first week - Xûr, you've done well. This weapon is everything.

Help me understand damage scaling in the game. Going back to Vault of Glass as a 31 won't let me do more damage than I did at 30 if I recall correctly. Will having weapons over 300 attack make a difference though? Or is damage output also somehow limited?

If I recall correctly, being a higher level but using the same weapons means no difference in damage, but being the same level but having a higher Attack weapon will give you more damage.

See this Reddit damage test with 300 Attack Plan C vs. 331 Attack Plan C

Hedgey

Of course. I spend all my vanguard marks on a new 33 light armor, and Xur doesn't offer an upgrade for either of my exotic helmets. This is going to be a fucking painful wait, isnt it?

Edit: This having to wait week after week for the chance to upgrade a piece of exotic armor feels like the mechanics of an iOS game.

The smart thing to do would be to wait until Xur to buy a new legendary.

LiK

I guess I prefer to use an exotic heavy and a legendary sniper, especially since a legendary sniper is more stable and can shoot repeated crits easier (though I think we've all mastered the flick down aiming required with the IB by now). And if a level 32 knight is around, he's eating a rocket :)
We all agree but heavy ammo drops can be thin and you end up not being able to use the heavy much. Happened to us last night.

commish

Do you even play Destiny?

Ice Breaker is like the go to Sniper 90% of the fucking time
It's ammo refresh alone negates Juggler on NF/Weekly

Also getting it to 331 is necessary, if you haven't heard the new Raid Boss and Trash that comes along for the ride is level 32 in Crota's End
My 300 IB was doing less damage to them, you could tell that at level 30 + 300 IB it would take roughly 5 precision shots to drop the Gold level 32 Knights
Once I hit 31 and used IB, it took 4 shots, I'm guessing, 3 once it's fully leveled up and then once you hit 32, 1-2 shots easily

WOL + IB on Atheon on Hard mode nets you 17,000+ damage per precision shot
Land all 6, you rip a chunk off that trapezoid fuck

Why are you bringing up the regen ammo feature and Atheon? Obviously IB is awesome and is the PvE MVP. My point is that its' not necessary to upgrade for the raid (at least normal) because a legendary sniper + exotic heavy is more effective at all parts. Have you even fought the last boss? At no time are you unloading IB shots into his face.

Icebreaker staggers enemies (this is very important), regenerates ammo, and shits all over all other snipers in terms of damage. it takes 3 shots with my praedyth's revenge what Icebreaker does in one, and then it also damages nearby enemies.

the only better weapon in the game is Gjallarhorn, but you save that for bosses and very important enemies, unlike the Icebreaker.

It's mandatory everyone has one, and mandatory you upgrade it.

KeRaSh

Isn't Atheon a 31 in the hard raid? If so then you wouldn't get a damage penalty for being lower than him.

darkwing

That xur quest just gave me freaking gloves. WTF is this mess? Not worth the effort at all. How do you get the weapon that upgrades to an exotic? I see the items that the new bendor sells so its not like she took them out.

yup, quest is not worth it

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Rockets problem is you have to keep chugging ammo packs like a mad man, if you are going to wipe many times and keep losing ammo for your rockets, it's not worth it over IB

Gjallarhorn is the exception, you bust that baby out for the bosses, not trash or segway parts

VoC is a compliment to IB, if you see what IB can do in CE, you would realize why people are xurbishing it as quickly as possible and get it to the new 331 Attack

Just at the second CE part, IB makes the difference, not Gjallar, good luck sending you rocket across to help out, IB, makes the difference

Top Bottom