• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

Maledict

I watched the video too and I just don't understand why he has a problem with people using cheese methods like hiding in rooms. The Crota disconnecting glitch are way more egregious and I understand having a problem with that.

I would have no problem with actually putting doors behind you when you enter the room with phogoth if the boss mechanics were more interesting but right now they don't amount to more than just shooting continuously at a boss for 20 mins. If people actually had to go into the room to fight phogoth during nightfalls, I doubt that many people will finish it.

I think the current methods everyone uses to beat the nightfalls are a sign of how badly the high end of this game is designed. You would be mad to not use them in a nightfall currently ,or incredibly determined, with a lot of time and patience to spare.

I don't think it's amazing design to have strikes like Omnigul where killing her without camping the entrance seems an exercise in utter misery - same with Phogoth, or the Arcon Priest and his endless waves of melee mobs and elite captains. in terms of game design, the strikes are all pretty crappy and lazy in how they are done and they make them hard by just adding tons of damage and mobs.

I'd use it much more often if it didn't sound like twelve cats having sex in a dumpster.

Isn't that a reason to use such a graceful weapon... I mean come on. When your enemy hears 12 cats having sex in the dumpster... nothing but fear and terror will enter their minds.

That was the first Datto video that I ever watched. I didn't realize he was "one of the most influential members of the community".

He has 18 thousand subscribers on Twitter (Edit: 160 thousand on Youtube) and it's an account solely dedicated to Destiny. He's been analysing the game on Youtube since the Alpha, streams the game on a regular basis and people on Reddit frequently refer to his gameplay analyses on Youtube. Finally, DeeJ sometimes personally mentions him in his tweets. He isn't exactly a nobody.

I had more trouble with the Invective bounty than Thorn. Just use a good void fusion rifle and camp near control zones.

Thorn was way harder and took hours, mainly cos I'm terrible at Pvp and only had a void shotty and LMG.

Invective on the other hand took me one control match. I have no idea what happened but The Last Word and Meridian Bay were involved........possibly my greatest Pvp performance ever.

Jinjo

Well, to be fair it's the reason I stopped playing.

The vast majority of people use cheats to beat the bosses. I'm not interested in that - I respect and understand why they do it, but it's not for me. As a result I haven't been able to do the raid, and as such have decided to sit out this expansion (and maybe permanently) because I won't have the gear for hard mode when it lands.

Seriously though - this issue has come up in every MMO I have ever played. there's always some people arguing that "people should be able to play how they want, why does it bother you". In every other MMO the designers have fixed the cheats and cracked down on the people doing it, but clearly Bungie doesn't care. Will be an interesting experiment to see if it works compared to other games.

EDIT: If they want more people to do their content, then make it easier, more accessible, and have the game support the organisation requirements behind it. Leaving cheats in the game that reduce your £20 expansion to a trivial joke that burps out loot every week doesn't seem a great idea to me instead of actually improving the game.

There's clear exploits and then there's cheesing. I really doubt the exploits like the Crota disconnect glitch are meant to be. I've never resorted to that one either. But if people want to clear an encounter by hiding in a room for 20 minutes why not? The risk of dying in a Nightfall for instance is so high that people often go for the safe and quick way. There's plenty of GAFfers who run VoG/CE legit.

Yeah, this is annoying. Having to endure his elitism in order to enjoy the otherwise good content in his videos and tweets were influential in my decision to quit Destiny. If one of the most influential members of the community is in such a no-fun-allowed mode and wants no cheesers, he can keep his game. Especially since he's made it very clear that it wasn't up for debate and wouldn't change his opinion on it under any circumstances.

Couldn't agree more. It's one thing to actually discuss the issue (there's a difference between cheesing and clear exploits in my book), but just plugging your ears and going "nananana can't hear you/don't care what you say" just makes you a pompous douche.

Maledict

What cheats haven't Bungie addressed, outside of the new CE exploits? All the ones in VoG were fixed. Sure, they didn't fix them immediately, but I'm not a software developer - I have no idea how long it takes to fix and test.

Well, lets just say that Blizzard, probably the worlds slowest game designers, catering to a game with a vastly larger amount of complexity and a much higher chance of a hotfix going wrong, fix their exploits within 24 hours - and ban the people using them.

I've never encountered a game that leaves this stuff in for so long.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think the current methods everyone uses to beat the nightfalls are a sign of how badly the high end of this game is designed. You would be mad to not use them in a nightfall currently ,or incredibly determined, with a lot of time and patience to spare.

I don't think it's amazing design to have strikes like Omnigul where killing her without camping the entrance seems an exercise in utter misery - same with Phogoth, or the Arcon Priest and his endless waves of melee mobs and elite captains. in terms of game design, the strikes are all pretty crappy and lazy in how they are done and they make them hard by just adding tons of damage and mobs.

As I always say, I would LOVE to see Bungie themselves do some of these Nightfalls without cheesing them. I really do think a good team could do all of them, save the Omnigul one, as inside that room is just too deadly.

it's a shame his channel has gone down that road. i remember enjoying his content in the early days of the beta, but i could tell when he started to milk the views and he lost my respect when he started calling for nerfs to things that really didn't need it. i don't think he understands the game or playerbase very well and he should stick to objective, unbiased data, which he was good at compiling.

it's unfortunate that players with so much influence at companys tend to relax comfortably in that privilege, even going as far as turning against the community to hold onto that position when it comes time to say the hard things.

I think most people do have their complaints and some of it needs to be said (in hopes that they fix things like vault space, caps, etc). There are a good amount of improvements that need to be made. With anything in your life, you need to find balance that works well for you. It's not the game's fault by any means.

I'm about to finish the story and I've already completed today's bounties.
Crucible bounties, then? If not that, then get into the Strike Playlist.
I dunno actually, I'll switch to Defender when I'm home and test it out later. I know for sure I was able to shoot in to the shields (reduced damage tho)
I'll be keeping an eye out for your results. This is pretty fascinating and game-changing for a Defender Titan like me. In other words, if true, you better keep it to yourself! ;-)

Dazzler

The Omnigul fight is so badly designed it's ridiculous

The only viable strategy is not to enter the actual room she's in

There's clear exploits and then there's cheesing. I really doubt the exploits like the Crota disconnect glitch are meant to be. I've never resorted to that one either. But if people want to clear an encounter by hiding in a room for 20 minutes why not? The risk of dying in a Nightfall for instance is so high that people often go for the safe and quick way. There's plenty of GAFfers who run VoG/CE legit.

Couldn't agree more. It's one thing to actually discuss the issue (there's a difference between cheesing and clear exploits in my book), but just plugging your ears and going "nananana can't hear you/don't care what you say" just makes you a pompous douche.

i don't really see how else you can do the omnigul strike on arc burn.

ya exactly.

Well, lets just say that Blizzard, probably the worlds slowest game designers, catering to a game with a vastly larger amount of complexity and a much higher chance of a hotfix going wrong, fix their exploits within 24 hours - and ban the people using them.

I've never encountered a game that leaves this stuff in for so long.

Blizzard are definitely pros, although they've been in the game for over 10 years. Bungie is still very new to this type of thing. Plus, they have to go through console certification.

Imagine having to play the Omnigul Nightfall with no burn or arc burn and you have to fight in that small room. That's the type of changes he's suggesting to up the difficulty. No thanks.

I do hope Bungie rethinks the strikes in the coming future cos all of them are just a battle of attrition and just tedious. They need to make them like micro raids or something cos at this point all of them are basically horde mode with waves of enemies that ends with a boss that has about 200% more health than necessary.

I think it's weird the best designed strike is still Devil's Lair IMO and that's the first strike you encounter. It should progress from that not get worse as you go deeper into the game.

Jinjo

i don't really see how else you can do the omnigul strike on arc burn.

ya exactly.

I don't either. And I nearly didn't bother running it on my alts after the first clear. It was just no fun. Datto's "fixes" are even more ridiculous lol.

cilonen

Righty, for those interested and asking earlier, some really crap pics of the Art Book:

The cover jacket you can see on amazon or Google, but beneath the Jacket the hard cover is actually really cool, it's all white but with a shiny guardian imprinted on the background matt white:
image_zps4a531a97.jpg

Some interior pages:
image_zpsfdb57df0.jpg

1654635f-5264-4462-b1ce-70c0256f1675_zps08e4ceae.jpg

c9fee761-d612-4c5f-ba0b-8af78540946e_zps28d42457.jpg

And the last image of that intriguing completion log concept, note the 8 locations, the race master and class master, the agents... All concepts probably long gone, but intriguing:
image_zps74f50a6e.jpg

Imagine having to play the Omnigul Nightfall with no burn and you have to fight in that small room. That's the type of changes he's suggesting to up the difficulty. No thanks.

I do hope Bungie rethinks the strikes in the coming future cos all of them are just a battle of attrition. They need to make them like micro raids or something cos at this point all of them are basically horde mode with a boss that has about 200% more health than necessary.

I think it's weird the best designed strike is still Devil's Lair IMO and that's the first strike you encounter. It should progress from that not get worse as you go deeper into the game.

yea it's the one i still enjoy the most. except now instead of hiding behind crates we spawn kill the enemies lol

spyder_ur

It really is baffling. Plus, she actually moves around a bit unlike other strike bosses so a more open area wouldn't be terrible. But really, it's the only safe spot. When I'm feeling brave I jump up on the platform next to her and unload a bit, but I always retreat to the start.

Bungie knew it too, which is why they spawned the cursed thralls back there, but they couldn't even get that right.

It's just all around awful.

What is everyone's favorite strike? I'd probably go for Phogoth.

Dazzler

It really is baffling. Plus, she actually moves around a bit unlike other strike bosses so a more open area wouldn't be terrible. But really, it's the only safe spot. When I'm feeling brave I jump up on the platform next to her and unload a bit, but I always retreat to the start.

Bungie knew it too, which is why they spawned the cursed thralls back there, but they couldn't even get that right.

It's just all around awful.

What is everyone's favorite strike? I'd probably go for Phogoth.

+1 for Phogoth

I like Devil's Lair too

border

I will forever regret not buying the Ice breaker when Xur was selling it. I wasn't really into the game that much so I didn't really know what type of sniper rifle it was. I just brushed it off as I don't really snipe that much so I'm not wasting my coins cos I didn't have that much and was gonna save it for the next week.

From now on I'm buying anything that shows up if I don't already have it. I started with No Land Beyond. That thing will forever sit in my Vault.

No Land Beyond is pretty useful if you want to solo The Bridge section of Crota's End. It essentially gives you 2 sniper rifles and cheap ammo refills. Trying to do it with one sniper rifle sucks balls because you have to keep eating ammo synthesis (and waiting on the cooldown).

The cover jacket you can see on amazon or Google, but beneath the Jacket the hard cover is actually really cool, it's all white but with a shiny guardian imprinted on the background matt white:
image_zps4a531a97.jpg
Not just any ol' guardian, either. A Titan guardian. Master Class confirmed.

Have you guys seen Datto's exotic weapon tier list?

Everything-was-S-tier.jpg

Ridiculous. Called for Gjallarhorns nerfs too, because it was too strong in PvP. Datto pls.

Oh, yeah, that, too. The only one thing I still wanted from Destiny (because it looks cool and gives you a nice firepower bonus) was the Gjallarhorn and I've never even got one. Of course, it was still too good for him.

I totally get the Vex Mythoclast nerf in PvP -that was the textbook definition of overpowered. But a Gjallarhorn nerf? What for?

As I always say, I would LOVE to see Bungie themselves do some of these Nightfalls without cheesing them. I really do think a good team could do all of them, save the Omnigul one, as inside that room is just too deadly.

Pretty sure the encounter is designed for you to mostly hang out in the 'safe room.' I wouldn't call that cheesing. I would call that bad game design.

phogoth grew on me. when everyone is in the right position, you don't need to use the rock. i just run around spawn killing hive.

devil's lair is still the best IMO, although Cerberus Vae and Dust Palace can be exciting ONCE IN A VERY LONG WHILE

That guy Datto really likes doors.

I don't either. And I nearly didn't bother running it on my alts after the first clear. It was just no fun. Datto's "fixes" are even more ridiculous lol.

Datto's "doors" the equivalent of invisible walls or 'kill volumes' (which were added to the VoG templar fight). I guess they would serve Bungie's purpose but it wouldn't change the fact the game was badly designed in the first place. Kind of a last resort.

Edit: If what he's thinking about is the same shit as the translucent walls in the Undying Mind strike, no thanks.

Jinjo

Did Datto ever post a video of his strat for that nightfall?

He actually skipped out a few weeks and admitted that they were too tough to solo without cheesing. The latest void nexus being strike being one of them actually. Which is actually one of the easiest strikes lol. He never did Arc Omnigul, did do Solar omnigul. Took him about 25 minutes on the boss and hid in the room the entire time.

Coconut

Banned
I need to do the first parts of VoG HM and Crota anything going down later? I'm sick of all these invited to finish the final bosses in the raids.

E92 M3

Datto's crusade against cheesing continues in his latest video. Why the fuck is that dude bothered so much about how others play?

He let the popularity get to his head.

Can exotics drop from any PvP mode?

Yeah, I recently got the Ice Breaker and NLB from the Crucible.

Righty, for those interested and asking earlier, some really crap pics of the Art Book:

image_zps4a531a97.jpg

Some interior pages:
image_zpsfdb57df0.jpg

1654635f-5264-4462-b1ce-70c0256f1675_zps08e4ceae.jpg

c9fee761-d612-4c5f-ba0b-8af78540946e_zps28d42457.jpg

And the last image of that intriguing completion log concept, note the 8 locations, the race master and class master, the agents... All concepts probably long gone, but intriguing:
image_zps74f50a6e.jpg

Thanks, that looks pretty neat. I should order one.

Deku Tree

He actually skipped out a few weeks and admitted that they were too tough to solo without cheesing. The latest void nexus being strike being one of them actually. Which is actually one of the easiest strikes lol. He never did Arc Omnigul, did do Solar omnigul. Took him about 25 minutes on the boss and hid in the room the entire time.

Haha. Datto did a rant against hiding in that entry room and in his vid he did it? Wow.
Yeah on Arc burn going into the omnigul room is suicide.

Solar burn doesn't count. Whip out a Gjallarhorn and Omnigul goes down in 60 seconds tops.

Good luck doing anything on Arc Burn. It's like hiding from a hailstorm under a newspaper.

Top Bottom