• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

Dazzler

So it's already Tuesday, and i'm just now remembering that I forgot about Xur over the weekend. How's Dragon's Breath compared to the Horn?

I don't have the ballerhorn, but I have a legendary rocket launcher and Dragon's Breath doesn't seem a huge step up from it in PvE

Sullichin

So there's not really a reason for me to use Radiant Energy yet, is there? I'm using Hunger of Crota as my main heavy, but it seems to do enough damage that I can wait until hard raid to max (or replace it with a gjallerhorn, god willing). I guess I should start grinding eris rep to convert them to shards.
Eh, I'd rather utilize what I get right away rather than storing things hoping for armor drops and needing to grind Eris rank which I don't plan on doing. Its more fun for me to upgrade HOC than to be upset that I only got energies this week. I know it's not GH but it's pretty damn good at 331. It's good off the bat though, you're right. If you are trying to be most efficient then going for the higher level is more important.

Deku Tree

Is there any particular reason why all of the vanguard replacements for Shadow Price and Devil are crap now?

Stealth AR nerf to low impact high RoF. High impact AR were too effective. My TDYD with return to sender, field scout and mulligan is incredible though.

zewone

Is there any particular reason why all of the vanguard replacements for Shadow Price and Devil are crap now?
Stealth nerf.
Tell me where you saw it was in any way tied to RNG? All other exotic armor perms work as intended and is not tied to RNG.

I define often as more than once per strike. Tons of people reporting that ruin wings inhibit heavy drops vs not wearing them at all. People have actually tracked these drops...

Because "often" is open for randomness. There is no set amount of heavy ammo that is supposed to drop with or without Ruin Wings. It's similar to mulligun or clown cartridge perks. Those are random. It doesn't happen every time.

I don't care about people tracking drops because guess what? It's random.

Dave_6

27 might be the minimum. Put it this way. I solo-ed first two phases with a 28. It is most likely possible with a 27. Just don't get hit on the way to the rocks.

I'm just wanting to solo the first chest so it should be no issue unless a random thrall gets me before I get to the door.

Homeboyd

Stealth nerf.

Because "often" is open for randomness. There is no set amount of heavy ammo that is supposed to drop with or without Ruin Wings. It's similar to mulligun or clown cartridge perks. Those are random. It doesn't happen every time.

I don't care about people tracking drops because guess what? It's random.
I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.

They don't work, at ALL, unless (supposedly) you do the un-equip method. It BLOCKS you from getting heavy drops. When I take ruin wings off, heavy ammo starts dropping immediately.

zewone

They don't work, at ALL, unless (supposedly) you do the un-equip method. It BLOCKS you from getting heavy drops. When I take ruin wings off, heavy ammo starts dropping immediately.

I do get what you're saying, I just don't buy into that theory.

I use Ruin Wings all the time (without taking them off) and my heavy ammo drops are fine.

Homeboyd

I do get what you're saying, I just don't buy into that theory.

I use Ruin Wings all the time (without taking them off) and my heavy ammo drops are fine.
Right, b/c they're bugged lol. Some people don't have any issues at all with them, others they don't seem to work ever.

matmanx1

No it's not. This is an upgrade on an exotic armor piece... these are clearly bugged. Playing an entire strike with 1 heavy drop = not working. It's like the heavy weapon boost on arma/raid boots etc where it actually HURTS you using them when you die. People reporting unequipping/re-equipping makes a world of difference, just haven't tried yet.

Yeah, I'll run some tests with them using the re-equip method. Will report back.

Usually wearing Ruin Wings provides a lot of heavy ammo. Last night in the VoG I almost always had heavy when I wanted it unless we just wiped very quickly. And wearing them on patrols? Purple candy everywhere.

I does seem like I have gone through dry spells with them but if so they are few and far between. Especially if dieing or loading a new area "un bugs" them as I tend to move around frequently and die alot in raids. =)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm just wanting to solo the first chest so it should be no issue unless a random thrall gets me before I get to the door.
Yeah for any content, gamewide, you need to be within 3 levels of the designation to end. CE is 30, so min is 27.

Hmm, that's odd. I haven't had that problem at all while having ruin wings equipped. No re-equipping needed. It's been raining purple ammo non-stop. I've done strikes, patrols, and missions and it seems to work for me throughout.

He understands what you're saying, he's just saying it's near impossible to actually calculate.

The fact is there is no set amount of heavy ammo drops anyone person ever sees. It's all RNG. So increasing the unknown base of RNG by an unknown amount makes it impossible to test the difference, at least on such a small scale. Only Bungie could really know if those numbers are working as they should.

Think of it like this. Imagine if you had an item that increased the odds of Xur selling a G'horn, yet he still goes another two months, and you still never see it. You don't actually know if the item is working or not, because RNG plays too important a role.

Sullichin

sigh, can't believe I'm considering this. Wondering how feasible it is to bring my Titan to level 6-> 27 this week just for that first chest (and maybe the whole first part). I don't suspect that chest will last much longer.

Right, b/c they're bugged lol. Some people don't have any issues at all with them, others they don't seem to work ever.

My Ruin Wings have never provided extra heavy ammo, and sometimes I do feel like it is preventing heavy ammo drops.

It's a mess and I want my strange coins back! Or just fix your damn game, Bungle

So you're saying only some people are affected by this bug? My ruin wings are better than your ruin wings? That seems like a thin supposition to me but I guess it's possible.

sigh, can't believe I'm considering this. Wondering how feasible it is to bring my Titan to level 6-> 27 this week just for that first chest (and maybe the whole first part). I don't suspect that chest will last much longer.

If Bungie thought it was an issue, it would have been dealt with weeks ago. I don't see it going anywhere now.

Honestly, they need to just switch the Crota chests.

First chest should be guaranteed shard/energy.

Second chest should have 25% (or whatever % it is) for exotic.

That would solve that problem pretty quick, I think.

Sullichin

That was unexpected. Blue Engram turned into Badger CCL with Who's Next (meh), high caliber/hammer forged/flared magwell and Firefly. I was saving up marks for Sateriene Rapier with Firefly. Anyone use both and have a preference?

My Crota kill from last week and this week have only given me two energy. So lame.

EDIT: Granted I did get the Warlock helm on my first ever Crota kill.

LiK

Deathsinger needs goddamn loot. Who wants to do the hardest part without a single drop? It's not just taking out Deathsinger but also taking out all those annoying adds just to get the next CP. Get with it, Bungie.

What if the enemy steps behind a wall? You need that shell at the enemy asap.
Then you want Truth, cuz those rockets can bend around corners. :)

So you're saying only some people are affected by this bug? My ruin wings are better than your ruin wings? That seems like a thin supposition to me but I guess it's possible.
My RW don't drop any heavy ammo unless I use a primary or secondary weapon. Don't know if that's intended.

Deku Tree

Good morning, Blessed RNGesus.

Last week I asked for Shards and coins, you delivered Gjallarhorn (maxed out on day 2), Truth, Dragons Breath, and Red Death. This week on bended knees I offer you praise and lift your name up, for your grace is sufficient. Thank you for providing the tools that allow me to continue the good fight against Rahool the Darkness. I understand that with added power comes added responsibility, so when my fellow Guardians need to be back packed through a Nightfall or Crota's tush, all I am obligated to say is "send me I'll go".
Unless my wife has different plans

With that said, if I may be so bold to ask...that in your infinite wisdom you could provide me with a solid 331 legendary primary this week so I can prepare for Hard Mode Crota and the added spongeyness that it will bring. As you already know in your omniscience, I've been grinding towards the Rapier from Crucible vendor and if that's the path for my legendary 331 primary, I'll be more than content with that. Also, may you hear the words of my Guardian comrades to meet their needs as well, and in thanks, I offer you one Bad Juju as a sacrifice
After I level up my new one

Thank you for listening.
Guardian Lord, El Cuco.

T-bagged the first chest. Got no land Beyond.

ERMint13

Nightfall awarded me my 3rd Ballerhorn... lol.

Feels so wrong to scrap it..

RNG feels more and more tied to characters the more hours I put in. I'm over 20 days and I get Multi-tool and Hardlight once every couple of weeks. I have yet to see a Horn or Hawkmoon.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Deathsinger needs goddamn loot. Who wants to do the hardest part without a single drop? It's not just taking out Deathsinger but also taking out all those annoying adds just to get the next CP. Get with it, Bungie.

Yeah, I don't know why we can't at least get shards from that section.

His rambling, walls-of-text, armchair game design offerings at the end of the video... just, no. Stop.
I'm intentionally steering clear of him. Especially after all of the negative remarks GAFfers have made here.

It seems like all of the new Auto Rifles in this new DLC have really high rates of fire and low impact. Is this Bungie's new way of trying to curb Auto Rifle usage? My friend swears by ARs like this, but I just can't stand them.

Atkison04

If Bungie thought it was an issue, it would have been dealt with weeks ago. I don't see it going anywhere now.

With the crota raid being largely able to be done solo ( I haven't soloed it beyond the bridge section), I've been afraid that it will get patched to make it much more difficult for those of us that like soloing as much as possible. I really like getting to the witches section solo or with one other person, feels good man. I just hope bungie doesn't take away the solo or 2-man option for the crota raid. It has been nice not recruiting a full team until the witches checkpoint or crota.

E92 M3

To be fair it was the holiday season and nothing major was going to be fixed. I expect them to address it this month or the next. Definitely before or with hard mode.

That was unexpected. Blue Engram turned into Badger CCL with Who's Next (meh), high caliber/hammer forged/flared magwell and Firefly. I was saving up marks for Sateriene Rapier with Firefly. Anyone use both and have a preference?

With Firefly, it's not terribly different than Rapier. I would save your marks.

Homeboyd

That's what my guess was. At first I thought it may have been the week 2 vendor version compared to week 1. Most people who bought week 1's are not seeing any issues... I bought week 2. But I've seen enough people from both sides have issues.

I understand the drops aren't guaranteed after "X" amount of kills. This is understood. What I'm saying is, for some, they work all the time as intended... for others, they do not. I know you can't calculate whether they are bugged or not. Read the responses in here "mine work great!" etc etc... What I'm telling you is, for some people, like me, they never work. Not sometimes, never.

Your response will be "well even if they only work once out of 100 strikes, they worked that once! rng!"... but you see why that may not be working as intended correct?

With the crota raid being largely able to be done solo ( I haven't soloed it beyond the bridge section), I've been afraid that it will get patched to make it much more difficult for those of us that like soloing as much as possible. I really like getting to the witches section solo or with one other person, feels good man. I just hope bungie doesn't take away the solo or 2-man option for the crota raid. It has been nice not recruiting a full team until the witches checkpoint or crota.

Honestly, it would be good for them to consider this in the future. When making raid content, make the amount of players needed scale as the raid progresses.

Allow the first loot drop to be accomplished by a single person.
The second requiring two people
The third requiring four people
The final boss requiring six people

But make the first areas scale so that more players provide more challenge. Nobody wants to sit and wait while 1 good player does all the work for them. And by nobody, I mostly mean me.

I had to give into this idea, just to get my main Titan to 32 faster (so close!). And I don't even feel bad 'bout it, neither!

Just had a friend get his third Gjallarhorn. Every time he's got it I've been with him.

Game rubbing it in my face.

My theory has always been that this games RNG is not so Random. Anecdotally, I think your chance at drops are better if you are playing with people that don't have what you want.

Top Bottom