• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

matmanx1

Ooooohhhhhh, I got the Badger CCL from Holiday Rahool. It's a step down in every way, except higher Impact and the precision kill makes things go "Boom!" perk. What says you, DestinyGAF? Is the Badger's explodey perk really that great to make up the difference?

badger.jpg

I like the Badger better. The Calling already has great range and a fast reload speed so the two perks on it aren't that useful. Badger is already going to hit harder with that impact and then you get the faster reload perk and firefly and it is a winner.

noomi

Thanks so much for joining. I have 3 characters holding 9+ 5k bounties and hand cannon telemetries. Easiest leveling up of exotic yet.

Hah, grats man, I did the exact same thing with holding 5K bounties across 3 chars with hand cannon telemetry. This week was a big disappointment in terms of loot, hoping next week for that hawkmoon already!

*edit*

Does anyone effectively use their hawkmoon for PVE... ever? Everyone raves how great it is for PvP, but is it good for PvE as well?

Hope I'm not too late and you didn't dismantle it: this Badger's a keeper!
Firefly is an awesome perk. Impact is very important, and it makes other stats like rof or stability really less important when it means killing enemies with one shot instead of two. For a scout rifle, the two most important stats are its impact and its range. Those are mini-sniper rifles!
The badger is being slept on by a large portion of players who thinks a scout rifle handles the same way as an auto rifle. :3

That being said: I still want a Rapier badly...
I had thought about getting the Rapier, just because I have a ton of Vanguard Marks burning a hole in my pocket, with no other real use for them. Then I got this, so I suppose I'm buying more materials with my Marks? :p

Oh, and I've not sharded The Badger. I like to keep a Scout Rifle on hand for the times when I need to swap out my Vex Mythoclast for another Exotic in the Special/Heavy weapon slots.

I'm gonna be the lone curmudgeonly voice here to breathe life into the argument that... it's a gift, it's something for nothing, it has the potential to be something good, it's particularly likely to be beneficial for new players starting out (many of whom exist as a result of the holidays for which this gift is presented).

If I'm the only one who feels this way so be it, but I wish I knew there was a contingent of others, however tiny, that found all the complaining (even encroaching into "Fuck Bungie" territory) about, you know, a gift... unpleasant :p
Nah, there's nothing curmudgeon about this statement. This gift is going to be well-received by the new influx of players and the non-hardcore (read: not us).

Heck, my good friend who plays the game casually, yet is level 28 and has played for about 60 hours, has yet to see a purple primary drop. I'm hoping the holiday package pulls through for him!

Finally got my first decent exotic drop from Nighfall since I can remember. Monte Carlo. I'm pretty stoked about this. I did get Suros a few weeks ago but I already had the upgraded one.

Still hoping to get a hand cannon. Thorn, Hawkmoon, Fatebringer.

Are the PS exclusive weapons going to be available for boners this fall? Are they just added to the loot table for possible drops or how is that going to work? I knew the strikes and pvp maps would become available (RIP everyone when that psion strike is the nightfall), but wasn't sure about the guns.

What's the deal with Hawkmoon btw...? I'm a lowly boner so I can't use it but see you guys freak out about it more than the gjallar...

Hawkmoon has 2 separate unique perks.

First Hawkmoon has a clip of 13 bullets.

One perk says that 1 of those 13 bullets will do considerable bonus damage (about a 60% increase)

Another perk says that 2 other bullets will do considerable bonus damage. Same increase as above.

The interesting part (and this might be unintended) is that the two perks have a chance to overlap. Perk 1 could impact bullet 6, and then Perk 2 could impact bullet 6 and 11. Which means now bullet 6 would do 90(1.6(1.6))=230 damage, and since players have roughly 200hp, that's a 1HKO. Even if the bullets don't line up, 90*1.6=144, which means a 2 shot kill. It's an insanely powerful gun.

Namikaze1

I know the'll have the following elemental damages:

Hard mode Hand cannon (Will of Crota) - Void damage

Hard mode Scout Rifle - Arc damage

Hard mode Assault rifle - Solar damage
I already want the Handcannon. Need a better Void primary than Athean Epilogue.

Congrats man! Don't forget about us little guys that still rock the Thorn in your new superstar life.

This game has so many good HC's to choose from. I think it is probably the best overall class of weapon in terms of number of top tier weapon's.

Too bad I can't bring myself to use them.

Dat entitlement.
Say what you will, but it's a crappy 'gift' no matter how you swing it. Bungie and Deej have been teasing this thing for weeks. Three out of five total tweets from Bungie this week have been about this dang gift. Why are they so proud of their charity when 90% of the time it's just going to be trash to the majority of their playerbase?

I really don't think disappointment is out of line. Sure, they didn't have to give us anything at all. I would prefer that over the weeks of teasing and promises. It just makes them look even more out of touch and unaware of how people are playing their game.

Bogeypop

I'm gonna be the lone curmudgeonly voice here to breathe life into the argument that... it's a gift, it's something for nothing, it has the potential to be something good, it's particularly likely to be beneficial for new players starting out (many of whom exist as a result of the holidays for which this gift is presented).

If I'm the only one who feels this way so be it, but I wish I knew there was a contingent of others, however tiny, that found all the complaining (even encroaching into "Fuck Bungie" territory) about, you know, a gift... unpleasant :p

I'm actually excited to see what I get. Plug One is the only newschool Vanguard weapon I own so far so there's plenty of potential. Hell I wouldn't even mind another one of those in Void, it's amazing.

I think it's more like misdirected resentment at RNG in general, and this gift is an easy target. If it was the Ghost Shell like I expected it'd be over and done with. Heck, even if I got a decent Legendary Weapon I'd still be disappointed because it's a not that shiny Ghorn or Hawkmoon. I'm mostly being hyperbolic for the sake of poking fun at the people who genuinely feel insulted at the gift Bungie gave them that they didn't have to. At the end of the day it's an nice gesture on Bungie's behalf for new players who just picked up Destiny over the holidays.

E92 M3

Dat daily doe, took like two minutes. lol

Is it the wizard on Earth? That hasn't been up for quite a long time.

Say what you will, but it's a crappy 'gift' no matter how you swing it. Bungie and Deej have been teasing this thing for weeks. Three out of five total tweets from Bungie this week have been about this dang gift. Why are they so proud of their charity when 90% of the time it's just going to be trash to the majority of their playerbase?

I really don't think disappointment is out of line. Sure, they didn't have to give us anything at all. I would prefer that over the weeks of teasing and promises.

But they have always stated that it was "small" and nothing too extraordinary. It's a small gesture and a free legendary weapon. I don't see how anyone can complain about a free legendary weapon.

BokehKing

Banned
i have one and the only reason i haven't sharded it is because i'm collecting exotics.
I just have better luck with Thorn, it seems to connect, and my big damage bullets with hawkmoon only seem to strike when the opponent has a sliver of life left

Jinjo

You should have been able to reroll this gift, atleast then it would have given everyone something worthwhile/what they liked.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nah, there's nothing curmudgeon about this statement. This gift is going to be well-received by the new influx of players and the non-hardcore (read: not us).

Heck, my good friend who plays the game casually, yet is level 28 and has played for about 60 hours, has yet to see a purple primary drop. I'm hoping the holiday package pulls through for him!
I wish him luck!

Even if he doesn't get a primary there are a few potential gems in there. An awesome fusion that happens to be whatever next week's Nightfall burn is would be incredible for a new player as well.

Skele7on

Banned
people moaning about the "gifts" remember that in WoW you'd get a pet or something of quite literally no use, at least these guns might be useful to an alt.

I don't think it's possible for Bungie to win. Even if everyone got an exotic engram or specific exotic there would still be tons of complaints.

Just like there were tons of complaints when they listened to the community and extended Xur after the outages.

oh wait

kidko

remind me never to buy gifts for gaffers, oi. I can imagine them at xmas: "FUCK YOU GRANDMA, THIS SWEATER IS A PIECE OF SHIT!"

Idk why I'm kind of upset it's 1 per account.

Should be 1 per char >= L30. If no char >= L30, then 1 for the account.

Reward the players that play more for once. Just my opinion.

timnich

Is anyone else having a hard time joining fireteams and loading missions? It seems for the past 2 days I only have a 1/3 chance of actually connecting, I get an error the other 2/3 times.

Namikaze1

people moaning about the "gifts" remember that in WoW you'd get a pet or something of quite literally no use, at least these guns might be useful to an alt.
I would take a pet any time over a Pulse Rifle.

Plus, I fucking love seeing a familiar follow you behind.

I miss my wolf pup in FF14. ;__;

Awesome - easy shards lol.

I do think they need to reward players that play often. Keeps the incentive and will also entice new players to invest.

Doesn't my recommendation seem valid? Everyone still gets at least 1. I know it's hard to find that "magic number", and can discuss that but I think the old cap sounds the most reasonable.

I really don't think disappointment is out of line. Sure, they didn't have to give us anything at all. I would prefer that over the weeks of teasing and promises. It just makes them look even more out of touch and unaware of how people are playing their game.

Who do you think the majority of the playerbase is? Do you think it's people like us? It's not.

PSN shows that only 15% of the playerbase has ever beaten a raid. We are not the target audience for this like this.

Gifted pets in WoW like the anniversary Onyxian Drake were unique and unlike anything you could get in the game. And then they added further value to all pets when they created pet battles. Really no comparison here.

I don't think it's possible for Bungie to win. Even if everyone got an exotic engram or specific exotic there would still be tons of complaints.

Yep, best we all just get a claim ticket on the Exotic of our choice. Only people that have every Exotic in the game would complain, and no one cares what they think.

phen0m24

Just like there were tons of complaints when they listened to the community and extended Xur after the outages.

oh wait
[Sarcasm]
Oh yeah that week he was selling No Land Beyond and no heavy ammo packs? I remember that...
[/Sarcasm]

;)

It will definitely help the majority of players aka those who just got it. They need it. We don't. We have full vaults and stocked alts. We=GAF

matmanx1

Responding to the bolded: Oh come on. You actually have no knowledge of what percent of the playerbase is going to find their gift useful. That sentence is complete hyperbole. The best you can say is that the gift wasn't what you wanted and wasn't useful to you.

A gift is a gift. It's something that you didn't have before. You are no worse off than before and even if you shard it you got some free shards and weapon parts out of it.

Who do you think the majority of the playerbase is? Do you think it's people like us? It's not.

PSN shows that only 15% of the playerbase has ever beaten a raid. We are not the target audience for this like this.

It's not that cut and dry, a significant portion of the non-Raiders stopped playing ages ago. The active playerbase percentage is likely much higher.

Top Bottom