• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

I had a game of Crucible last night that made me feel like Zoba for a moment. I normally rock Defender Titan in Crucible, but I was spec'd Striker after finishing up Crota's End. I wound up starting the game with First Blood with a Shoulder Charge, then proceeded to outgun two other Guardians. I think I went three more kills before I got my first death. I thought to myself that I was going to finish the game with Striker and just see how it goes. I normally do well enough in Crucible, but Zoba made me feel like a scrub when we played together. Haha!

zoba.jpg

For the record, I still prefer Defender. It's maybe not as action-y as Striker, but I love the sticky grenade and the bubble has been too kind to me for so long. I spec Bastion, so my bubble sticks around longer, and Armor of Light for those silly enough to enter the Thunderdome®. Blowin' Bubbles 4 Life!

Jinjo

Low impact max rate of fire auto rifles and low impact pulse rifles should be removed from the game. They serve no use whatsoever, nobody uses them.

Responding to the bolded: Oh come on. You actually have no knowledge of what percent of the playerbase is going to find their gift useful. That sentence is complete hyperbole. The best you can say is that the gift wasn't what you wanted and wasn't useful to you.

A gift is a gift. It's something that you didn't have before. You are no worse off than before and even if you shard it you got some free shards and weapon parts out of it.
Fair enough, but I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Bungie has repeatedly failed to deliver creative and fun solutions in various circumstances. One suggestion to make this gift just a smidgen better: why not make it any legendary weapon and not just vanguard?

purg3

slept with Malkin
I got Anohter NITC from my gift package. Shit perk rolls ( Zen Momemnt/Mulligan). Would keep it if it had Firefly. back to the crucible grind so I can buy the Rapier from the vendor.

Also a bit off topic, but burns suck. I accidentally burned a portion of my hand last night and it's making playing this stupid game difficult lol.

Bogeypop

All this poking fun at Pulse Rifles, Bungie, and RNG the present. I'm in a better mood now, and ready for some Roc Strikes, who's with me!? May RNGesus bless this endeavor with an Exotic!

zewone

Say what you will, but it's a crappy 'gift' no matter how you swing it..

Exotic weapon is asking way too much and a legendary gun is much more useful than a dumb Ghost shell.

The fact your gun didn't roll with something useful for you doesn't make it a bad gift, especially when you nor anyone is entitled to this free gun.

Awesome - easy shards lol.

Yes, my favorite mission. Very sentimental to me now. Back in the Alpha, I had such a hard time with this. Not because the mission is hard, but because I couldn't use standard camera controls. I was used to inverted X, Y axis like God intended. The game unfortunately does not support this camera control method.

I lamented that I may never be ablable to play the game as I wildly sprayed bullets at the walls and randomly looked up at the sky or floor. It took me many, many frustrated hours to retrain my brain and learn "standard" camera controls.

Now I blow through the mission with ease and reflect on how far I came.

RdN

I got a Payback SOS auto rifle from my gift.

Had never seen this one before. Husband very high rate of fire and large magazine (64).

Any ideas if I should keep this one?

Namikaze1

The Dark side promises you cookies;

But they really are made of Wookies
It's the Jedi that loves them Wookie Cookies. Us Sith prefer prefer Chocolate Chip cookies with a side of younglings cookies. But that's Anakin and Sidious that prefers the latter.

Who's doing some Crucible? Need another able body? I need 39 marks for the Rapier.

That equates to 13 straight wins.
Oh, Rapier is a Crucible scout rifle? Shoot, I also have a ton of Crucible Marks burning a hole in my pocket. For some reason I thought it was Vanguard.

xCobalt

Got Plug One.1 from the gift today. Perks are okay (kills grant bonus reserve ammo + kills reduce cooldown of grenades) but it has Send It which I'm happy with.

E92 M3

Doesn't my recommendation seem valid? Everyone still gets at least 1. I know it's hard to find that "magic number", and can discuss that but I think the old cap sounds the most reasonable.

Yes, I would approve of such a system.

Low impact max rate of fire auto rifles and low impact pulse rifles should be removed from the game. They serve no use whatsoever, nobody uses them.

Bungie should focus on making as many useful weapons as possible, but they seem too concerned with nerfing the interesting ones first.

Yes, my favorite mission. Very sentimental to me now. Back in the Alpha, I had such a hard time with this. Not because the mission is hard, but because I couldn't use standard camera controls. I was used to inverted X, Y axis like God intended. The game unfortunately does not support this camera control method.

I lamented that I may never be ablable to play the game as I wildly sprayed bullets at the walls and randomly looked up at the sky or floor. It took me many, many frustrated hours to retrain my brain and learn "standard" camera controls.

Now I blow through the mission with ease and reflect on how far I came.

So, do you play all shooters on standard controls now?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think it's more like misdirected resentment at RNG in general, and this gift is an easy target. If it was the Ghost Shell like I expected it'd be over and done with. Heck, even if I got a decent Legendary Weapon I'd still be disappointed because it's a not that shiny Ghorn or Hawkmoon. I'm mostly being hyperbolic for the sake of poking fun at the people who genuinely feel insulted at the gift Bungie gave them that they didn't have to. At the end of the day it's an nice gesture on Bungie's behalf for new players who just picked up Destiny over the holidays.
I don't think your tone was particularly offensive, I think I got what you were going for. Your "at the end of the day" is accurate and also, there IS potential for it to be useful for players like us as well. Some people have already posted that they got something they'd actually use, saved marks, or replaced something with lesser rolls.
Say what you will, but it's a crappy 'gift' no matter how you swing it.
Or, not? It's a free legendary weapon.
Bungie and Deej have been teasing this thing for weeks. Three out of five total tweets from Bungie this week have been about this dang gift.
Why are they so proud of their charity
Where'd you even get this impression that they were? They sure made it sound amazing!
Before we kick off, we should note that you should be on the lookout for some small stocking stuffers sometime after the Holidays have come and gone – a small token of our gratitude.
A small, but Legendary token of gratitude is being prepped for delivery later this week. We'll let you know when to check the Postmaster.

They did everything short of saying "HEY PLAYER WHO IS INTO THIS GAME ENOUGH TO REGULARLY READ OUR WEBSITE AND TWITTER ACCOUNT, THIS ISN'T GOING TO BE SOMETHING YOU NEED" to ramp down expectations.

We're not most players. We're not likely to appreciate, well, anything
when 90% of the time it's just going to be trash to the majority of their playerbase?
Ludicrous claim.
I really don't think disappointment is out of line. Sure, they didn't have to give us anything at all. I would prefer that over the weeks of teasing and promises. It just makes them look even more out of touch and unaware of how people are playing their game.
you know what? It is. It is out of line. it's out of line and it gets to me. It's just a fucking gift.

Have you considered for a split-second that you're out of touch with the median on the bell curve of the playerbase for this game?

Saying "I would prefer nothing at all" is entitled gibberish. If I get a weapon I actually want from this, which isn't, like, out of the realm of possibility since there are vanguard weapons I want, am I supposed to just dismantle it because it's not something better? Seriously now:
Fuck you and your christmas gift Bungie.
Why is this shit okay? Why did we at some point come to the conclusion that even just being given something is viewed not as magnanimous to any extent, but just one more cause for criticism?

For fuck's sake... try to remember that most people who play this game aren't actually posting online about it.

hydruxo

Say what you will, but it's a crappy 'gift' no matter how you swing it. Bungie and Deej have been teasing this thing for weeks. Three out of five total tweets from Bungie this week have been about this dang gift. Why are they so proud of their charity when 90% of the time it's just going to be trash to the majority of their playerbase?

I really don't think disappointment is out of line. Sure, they didn't have to give us anything at all. I would prefer that over the weeks of teasing and promises. It just makes them look even more out of touch and unaware of how people are playing their game.

I think you were setting yourself up for disappointment if you expected anything more than what we ended up getting. Bungie said "small but legendary" for a reason. It was never going to be a mindblowing gift. I'd wager the vast majority of the player base doesn't even have any legendaries yet, so a free one probably made their day today. I do think Bungie should have never teased on twitter about giving us a gift and instead just dropped it in the postmater randomly. Ultimately I think it's a nice gesture, they didn't have to give us anything.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Solar burn there or a void burn?
Sorry couldn't help it

Hope you feel better

haha, got solar burned. Removed a cast iron skillet from my oven after cooking a steak and set it on the stove top. A minute later I turned around and picked it up with my bare hand....

I think you were setting yourself up for disappointment if you expected anything more than what we ended up getting. Bungie said "small but legendary" for a reason. It was never going to be a mindblowing gift. I'd wager the vast majority of the player base doesn't even have any legendaries yet, so a free one probably made their day today. I do think Bungie should have never teased on twitter about giving us a gift and instead just dropped it in the postmater randomly. Ultimately I think it's a nice gesture, they didn't have to give us anything.

Yeah and as a high level player with many legendary weapons it is even tougher for it to roll something you don't have or something better.

I don't think your tone was particularly offensive, I think I got what you were going for. Your "at the end of the day" is accurate and also, there IS potential for it to be useful for players like us as well. Some people have already posted that they got something they'd actually use, saved marks, or replaced something with lesser rolls.

Or, not? It's a free legendary weapon.

Where'd you even get this impression that they were? They sure made it sound amazing!

They did everything short of saying "HEY PLAYER WHO IS INTO THIS GAME ENOUGH TO REGULARLY READ OUR WEBSITE AND TWITTER ACCOUNT, THIS ISN'T GOING TO BE SOMETHING YOU NEED" to ramp down expectations.

We're not most players. We're not likely to appreciate, well, anything

Ludicrous claim.

you know what? It is. It is out of line. it's out of line and it gets to me. It's just a fucking gift.

Have you considered for a split-second that you're out of touch with the median on the bell curve of the playerbase for this game?

Saying "I would prefer nothing at all" is entitled gibberish. If I get a weapon I actually want from this, which isn't, like, out of the realm of possibility since there are vanguard weapons I want, am I supposed to just dismantle it because it's not something better? Seriously now:

Why is this shit okay? Why did we at some point come to the conclusion that even just being given something is viewed not as magnanimous to any extent, but just one more cause for criticism?

For fuck's sake... try to remember that most people who play this game aren't actually posting online about it.
6a00d8341c652b53ef011571cbc1ad970b-800wi

All excellent and level-headed counterpoints.

So, do you play all shooters on standard controls now?

I would on console. Before Destiny, Killzone Shadowfall was the only FPS I ever played on console and it supported full inversion. I play every game on PC given the choice. I don't anticipate playing any others on console yet, but I will probably use it for TPS games on controller now too.

I'm looking forward to seeing what my gift is. Even if I end up sharding it I am starting to appreciate a good legendary primary. I've always used an exotic in that slot but now I have more exotic secondary and heavy I need a new legendary 331 for non nightfall content.

Manp

One person wasn't on my friendslist so maybe it was them. Who knows. Doesn't matter, the other has been blocked forever.

I ran out of ammo towards the end and wasn't doing as much but I did plenty of damage against Spongebob, killed all three of his subordinates and helped with the tank. Sliver of health left and suddenly *removed from Fireteam* -- really dudes?

the worst thing happened to me yesterday.

i start doing Nightfall, a couple of other gaffers join me along the way.
we're all in the safe spot on the left in spongebob room so i think to myself: "what the hell, the guys are safe let's switch to my alt so i get this out of the way with my worse character".

so i went to orbit... but i forgot i was fireteam leader :|
SORRY GUYS! i still feel fucking stupid! :(

funny thing is i kept thinking "why the hell is it taking so long to go back to orbit"... next thing i see all three ships there and i realize what i just did :|

Greenymac

Hawkmoon players totally destroyed my GAF group in PVP. My only alternative was to switch to Thorn to combat them. I would like to try the Hawkmoon out. But I haven't been able to get it to drop.

Lik, we are brothers....I need that hawkmoon in my life...

Everyone loves their hawkmoon but me lol, wtf
Do you do much PvP? It's worthless to me but mostly because I spend virtually all my time in PvE.
i have one and the only reason i haven't sharded it is because i'm collecting exotics.

This. I'm not going out of my way to collect them (exception being the bounties) but if an exotic drops for me, I'll keep it for collecting purposes. I won't bother buying ones I don't have from Xur until they increase the Vault size. It still felt good to get HM though because it was the first time I ever got something good from NF ;P Plus I can appreciate how hard it can be to get that weapon even if I don't appreciate the weapon itself. I'm a Scout Rifle guy tho.

blackflag

Payback SOS.....thanks bungie. Immediately dismantled. But seriously I wasn't expecting anything any way. It was a nice gesture.

Korosenai

I now have all of the new raid weapons and gear. Once I get the foil, verdict, and timepiece from vog I'll have every piece of available gear from both raids.

phen0m24

haha, got solar burned. Removed a cast iron skillet from my oven after cooking a steak and set it on the stove top. A minute later I turned around and picked it up with my bare hand....

Crap man crap! Owwwwwwwww

Really do hope it heals quickly.

I really wanted to make a joke with the Uruk from LoTR and "man flesh" but I must refrain.

rNilla

the worst thing happened to me yesterday.

i start doing Nightfall, a couple of other gaffers join me along the way.
we're all in the safe spot on the left so i think to myself: "what the hell, the guys are safe let's switch to my alt so i get this out of the way with my worse character".

so i went to orbit... but i forgot i was fireteam leader :|
SORRY GUYS! i still feel fucking stupid! :(

funny thing is i kept thinking "why the hell is taking so long to go back to orbit"... next thing i see all three ships there and i realize what i just did :|

Haha I have totally done this before on this very strike. I even hesitated a couple times and thought "Wait, won't it take both of us to Orbit? Nah." Whoops.

Bogeypop

Which is why I said " useless in most people's cases" meaning there would be exceptions, but yeah if you got your hopes up even after Bungie basically saying DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP it's your own fault.

Top Bottom