• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

R0ckman

Personally I don't care about cheesing either way. I prefer legit, but I've done every encounter legit and cheesed a million times and people have limited time with 3 characters to run so whatever. The problem with cheesing is that lots of people never learn the encounters. I'm reminded of this every time I play with randos.

Chilling in the Tower with a buddy, he must have left his fireteam open cause 4 rando's joined us and started asking for help with Crota. That's cool, I like helping people. They want to carry a 29 buddy, no GHorns in the group: no problem. They ask about pulling LAN cables, I tell them we ain't doing that garbage (anything "outside the game" isn't cheese to me, something else entirely).

They seem cool enough and have a decent attitude but holy shit they are terrible. Inspecting load outs and it's un-upgraded across the board, even vanilla stuff with 254 attack. No biggie I can work with this. We spend 5 minutes explaining, then wipe a few times, then explain 5 minutes, then wipe a few times... It's clear they don't know wtf to do. Guy asks "where do you go to kill the Oversoul?" ... wut. Felt bad, but had to bail. Too many people I actually know to spend hours carrying total strangers. The pattern seem to be:

1.) New raid released. It's difficult.
2.) Only the best players can beat it initially, most people don't or get carried.
3.) Cheese is found and spread. It's easy. Cheesy.
4.) Everyone who couldn't beat it before uses the cheese and never has to learn the fight.

I understand why it bothers Bungie. They are watching the entire player base and know how wide spread it is, while us Gaffers have a distorted view because we are actually decent at the game. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think these people suck, I think these people are bad at following directions. That was some of my main problems I've seen in strikes above all else. Before I had a set raid team for this and was trying with randoms I would just quietly assign myself to boomer sniping because the people who were officially assigned would get distracted.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
They seem cool enough and have a decent attitude but holy shit they are terrible. Inspecting load outs and it's un-upgraded across the board, even vanilla stuff with 254 attack. No biggie I can work with this. We spend 5 minutes explaining, then wipe a few times, then explain 5 minutes, then wipe a few times... It's clear they don't know wtf to do. Guy asks "where do you go to kill the Oversoul?" ... wut. Felt bad, but had to bail. Too many people I actually know to spend hours carrying total strangers.

This really drives me nuts. I've spent hours spinning me wheels with groups who just don't get it.

Dave_6

Got my Titan to 27 last night finally. Does anyone want to do a normal VoG tonight so I can take it through for the first time? I have all maxed VoG weapons as well as IB, Ballerhorn etc.

I also still need to run the 30 weeklies with my Hunter (31) and Warlock (30). Not sure if I can run one with my Titan though unless I get carried.

Can't blame me....forevernorocketlauncherbro :(

lol it doesn't really matter, just makes me laugh really. Besides I blame glide more than anything, thankfully I can do my sword run as a Titan from now on.

We can do swords with me as the Titan, Rawr as the Hunter and Yzen as the Warlock. Of course you and Steroyd need to get in on that action (if Steroyd ever actually gets the gear for 32).

purg3

slept with Malkin
I got Devils Lair again, WTF!?

I'd rather get that than Omnigul 5 times in a row. Backed out and got it again...I'm done with the strike playlist for a little bit. Last Omnigul I did, guy dropped out and me and another guy finished it. Most grueling, not fun strike. I actually hate it now.

LiK

This really drives me nuts. I've spent hours spinning me wheels with groups who just don't get it.

Some people are just clueless or not paying attention. I've been lucky to join new groups here and have led a few raids where they listened to me. As long as people listen and do their roles, it's a breeze. Which is why whenever someone else is leading a raid, I would just listen and do my role. It's fairly painless.

Also, don't go into raids with shit gear. lol

I would really love to know what strike it is everyone is always hoping for. No matter what strike I get while running ROC there is always someone that leaves, what one are they hoping for? The mystery may never be resolved.

EL CUCO

Totally agree with all of that. For the bolded part emphatically agree. I am OK with playing within the games engine to bend it to its limits and doing anything that is fun or makes long encounters quicker especially after having done them legit multiple times in PvE. I am not OK with exploiting anything "outside of the games engine" to take advantage. Pulling your cord is an exploit just like getting heavy ammo at the start of a PvP match. Besides fighting Crota legit is easy and fun.

PvP on the other hand should always be fair and even.
Pulling the chord is basically lag switching Crota...smh

Totally agree with all of that. For the bolded part emphatically agree. I am OK with playing within the games engine to bend it to its limits and doing anything that is fun or makes long encounters quicker especially after having done them legit multiple times in PvE. I am not OK with exploiting anything "outside of the games engine" to take advantage. Pulling your cord is an exploit just like getting heavy ammo at the start of a PvP match. Besides fighting Crota legit is easy and fun.

PvP on the other hand should always be fair and even.

Yup I agree with both of you. My group took our lumps and spent hours and hours beating CE legit when it first came out. It got easier each time then we started trying everything we could to save time so everyone could crush it 3 times each Tuesday. All we actually cheese is the bridge section anyway, but if we're running any new guys through we do it all legit. Deathsinger and Crota are pretty fun once you have it down.

The really fun part has been finding ways to challenge ourselves by running solo raids, or 2,3,4 man raids. You have to use new strategies so it keeps it fresh. I really enjoy CE because you can go in with way less than 6 and still get shit done. Plus you really learn the encounters inside and out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can confirm both events exist. Faction wars are RARE, if you want to see the pikes go to the beginning of waking the hive.
I've seen the pikes :p Ember Caves on Venus get them sometime. I stole them all and then used them to blow each other up.
I thought people used to see the "faction wars" event at "sky shock" in front of the original Loot Cave every 30 minutes or so... I am guessing you never participated in the loot cave though. Yeah I haven't seen "faction wars" in a long time either. I don't really spend a lot of time on Patrol anymore though. Mostly I only do that if I'm going to do a patrol mission bounty or trying to quickly finish a different bounty. And by now I am highly efficient so I don't have a lot of "lingering time" which seems to be when these events pop up.
Skywatch, haha. Skyshock is the new (awful) Crucible map.

One day I'll see one!

blackflag

lol it doesn't really matter, just makes me laugh really. Besides I blame glide more than anything, thankfully I can do my sword run as a Titan from now on.

We've can do swords with me as the Titan, Rawr as the Hunter and Yzen as the Warlock. Of course you and Steroyd need to get in on that action (if Steroyd ever actually gets the gear for 32).

Yes next week I want to learn. I'll try and get a checkpoint to practice.

32 Titan and lock.....not gonna try it with the warlock lol.

Frostburn

Thanks again man. Feel free to take off anytime, I can chill in here for a while if people still need it, just working on some stuff so can't really play. PSN is DrDrizzay101 if anyone still wants Gorgons.

I'm going to come in to grab it if you don't mind, thanks!

Manp

only ever rolled with one character (a Titan) but I'm thinking of setting up a different class

welp

This game has me bad

it's the only way not to be tight on coins on Xurday. i've had an alt for less than a week and i've never had so many coins since launch.

not to mention the better chances at drops.

:)

boofa

Neo Member
Dude, wtf is going on where you are. Might want to mute your mic, haha!

You are on a subway in China?!? lol

Edit: Wait! I just realized you are watching 19 Kids and Counting, haha. My wife watched that, I just realized what episode this is.

Ahh, didn't think about it picking up the camera mic. I'm at work on Remote Play. That must be my wife watching TV, lol.

I was just reminiscing the days I had 1 char for so long (120ish hours). All I knew how to do was save my res on my Lock to save a wipe.

I thought people used to see the "faction wars" event at "sky shock" in front of the original Loot Cave every 30 minutes or so... I am guessing you never participated in the loot cave though. Yeah I haven't seen "faction wars" in a long time either. I don't really spend a lot of time on Patrol anymore though. Mostly I only do that if I'm going to do a patrol mission bounty or trying to quickly finish a different bounty. And by now I am highly efficient so I don't have a lot of "lingering time" which seems to be when these events pop up.

Yes the lowest level weekly gives you 2 strike points same as the highest level weekly. It is the fastest way to do it. Not as fast this week with no burn Spongebob.

Damn well that sucks that Spongebob is going to make this longer and harder than it should be for me.

I wonder if I can find 2 other gaffer doing Bad Juju so we can knock out some low level weekly

E92 M3

I was just reminiscing the days I had 1 char for so long (120ish hours). All I knew how to do was save my res on my Lock to save a wipe.

I had 1 character for over 450 hours and then I realized that with the Crota raid mechanics I'll fall behind a lot of I don't make an alt. Have 3 hunters now; makes it a lot more fun - and stressful - on reset when I know there are 3 chances for something nice.

only ever rolled with one character (a Titan) but I'm thinking of setting up a different class

welp

This game has me bad

I think 2 chars are manageable. 3 definitely gets tough. I mostly switch between 2 chars (hunter and titan) which are technically my alts. I probably spend 45% on each Titan/Hunter and 10% Warlock (original main). But I do like having 3 chances at both nightfall and raid drops. Strange coins > 9 for the week is a bonus too.

It's been a pretty good 24 hours for me in Destiny. Got all this including the Timebreaker sparrow and VoG raid ship for good measure.

aFMxBaQ.png

YMoLR5s.png

tWddS2g.png

TmnmhaZ.png

jYcqIMf.png

9dRR4pW.png

Full raid gear now. Just need to upgrade my weapons to max and I think I'll be set for CE hard mode.

wMJ687M.png

Got my Titan to 27 last night finally. Does anyone want to do a normal VoG tonight so I can take it through for the first time? I have all maxed VoG weapons as well as IB, Ballerhorn etc.

I also still need to run the 30 weeklies with my Hunter (31) and Warlock (30). Not sure if I can run one with my Titan though unless I get carried.
I still need to run the Weekly on my Warlock, so I'll be happy to help out later tonight after work if you want (around the same time we ran the NF)

I've seen the pikes :p Ember Caves on Venus get them sometime. I stole them all and then used them to blow each other up.

Skywatch, haha. Skyshock is the new (awful) Crucible map.

One day I'll see one!
The "enemies are moving against each other" event is hands down the most fun thing to happen on Patrol. Skywatch is where I see it the most, but it also happens at the Rocketyard. Skywatch is tough, because Urzok the Hated shows up and makes things entirely more difficult. It's a blast to try and stay alive during the entire event without running away like a little beyotch.

Saw someone do a new stealth AFK in strike, appear to be moving in the background killing a few enemies here and there but during intense movements where you have to fight hide in a corner.
That's some calculated laziness there. Why even bother moving just a little bit? May as well play the game, then.

Thankfully, I normally run ROC with friends, so Ive only encountered this once or twice.

Totally agree with all of that. For the bolded part emphatically agree. I am OK with playing within the games engine and doing anything that is fun or makes long encounters quicker especially after having done them legit multiple times. I am not OK with exploiting anything "outside of the games engine" to take advantage. Besides fighting Crota legit is easy and fun.

yeah. pulling LAN cables out isnt cheesing or an exploit. dont know what it is but takes out the joy of the game.

exploits are another thing altogether. I wasnt too entirly against pushing atheon off for example. it wasnt a glitch or an AI bug it was an actual machanic that was exploited.
I think if more people realize how fun the encounter is on its own they wouldnt even try to cheese. Atheon was hard at first but when you get that perfect run and a good rythem its an amazing feeling and everyone cheers when he goes down!

and still do with some groups that I run with

Crota was super hard at the beggining too. unfortunalty with this encounter the only one having any real fun is the sword bearer. I gots to get my hands on that sword. I feel silly just shooting rockets at crota.

I had 1 character for over 450 hours and then I realized that with the Crota raid mechanics I'll fall behind a lot of I don't make an alt. Have 3 hunters now; makes it a lot more fun - and stressful - on reset when I know there are 3 chances for something nice.

I give you props! I could never make the same class 3 times, that might put me over the edge. But you probably have great rolls on raid gear. I have enough for my Hunter to go 32 but more Strength than I'd want. I did have fun testing out Don't Touch Me last night on the daily. Going invisible is just too fun skipping through parts.

Dazzler

I'm exactly at this point, have played like 112 hours and fancy trying out the warlock class

Actually: which class would be more fun for me to try out coming from the Titan class? Hunter or Warlock?

stb

I'm definitely down for the 30 weeklies tonight. What time?

Think I'd prefer to save VoG hard and normal for Friday/Saturday. Need the Foil, VoC, and CM still. Oh, and the helmet.

Dave_6

I still need to run the Weekly on my Warlock, so I'll be happy to help out later tonight after work if you want (around the same time we ran the NF)

Thanks man! I should be online around 7 CST or so.

I'm definitely down for the 30 weeklies tonight. What time?

Think I'd prefer to save VoG hard and normal for Friday/Saturday. Need the Foil, VoC, and CM still. Oh, and the helmet.

Great! You can join me and squidhands so that will work out well.

I'm off Saturday so I should have plenty of time to run one or three VoG runs between Fri night and Saturday. Sounds good.

I still need/want the helmet for my Warlock and the cloak for the Hunter. I'll take whatever for the Titan lol.

I don't think these people suck, I think these people are bad at following directions. That was some of my main problems I've seen in strikes above all else. Before I had a set raid team for this and was trying with randoms I would just quietly assign myself to boomer sniping because the people who were officially assigned would get distracted.

It's a problem with basic troubleshooting skills from what I've seen.

I joined a Destinylfg.net group for Crota last week. Some wanted cheese, some legit, we decided we'd give it 5 or 6 real attempts, and then cheese if need be.

Nobody wanted to take charge, so I started handing out instructions and tasks. Everyone seems to understand.

The problem comes from people not knowing how to improve or troubleshoot, whatever you want to call it.

So the person in the back watching for the Boomer Knights literally stops shooting at the knight that jumps down to the catwalk, because he wasn't told to shoot at those knights. instead he is just watching that window for the next knight to spawn. As in, he thought it was better to not shoot at anything, than to shoot at something.

What killed me as that we were making progress, it was just a matter of a smooth execution, and 1 or 2 of the guys basically started "accidentally" dying in hopes we would do the cheese strat instead.

Our very last attempt, everything was going well, Crota was down to 25%, and someone died. No big deal, we stopped the oversoul, waited the 30 seconds, and rezzed. Only to notice that he didn't move after rezzing. He stood perfectly still. Apparently this was a great time for a soda break...

The best part of the afternoon, was that after the 6 failed attempts legit, nobody could pull off the stupid D/C cheese. We tried it 3 times, at which point I left, because I hate literally just sitting still and waiting for someone else to do the work for me.

I'm exactly at this point, have played like 112 hours and fancy trying out the warlock class

Haha that's pretty funny. I posted that originally, then read my way backwards and found your post. I was in that situation. I don't regret making more characters at all. It's fun trying the different classes and you never know which will be your favorite until you try :)

Here are some tips if you start another. Anyone can feel free to say anything.

You can power level through Crucible early on, and then when you reach level 10 or 12, you get the full compliment of bounties. Completing bounties and playing Crucible levels you so fast! Then later you can do some missions on heroic for more xp. When you play as your main Titan, if he's already L31, save all your engrams for your new char, especially blues. That way you get more Hardronic Essence (plasteel Plating for warlocks)

Top Bottom