• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

E92 M3

Is using the sword really that fun to some of you guys?

I love it. Makes the battle so much fun and I love helping people.

I don't usually care unless we're losing or doing bad. Particularly rage-inducing when we're lagging.

Then the bagger wins. You can't let the bagger win.

Just a couple weeks ago I needed:

- vex mytho
- ballerhorn
- fatebringer
- raid boots (last thing needed for 32)
- thorn
- timepiece (for fun)
- foil (for fun)

Somehow I got all of these in that time and now there's nothing else I really want to drop other than the raid helm. What do I doooooooooooooooooo now?

"What do you mean, now we can play the game!"

You did well, son. The expansion turned your luck around tenfold.

zewone

Productive ROC strikes so far. Already got a legendary engram and a MIDA.

l6rS98u.jpg

I'm beginning to think that, 95% of the time, the Hunger of Crota is the best heavy weapon in the game. While the Ballerhorn is obviously the best heavy in the game, it takes up an exotic slot, which is pretty annoying. HoC gives you 90% of what the ballerhorn does but in a legendary, allowing someone to use a hawkmoon, ice breaker, whatever as well.

Cry.gif

I want one badly! I'll trade in 2 extra Song of Ir Yuts (well I turned them into 6 energy) and a SwordBreaker for it haha.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I haven't ran the sword yet, but I've really grown to love being on knight duty. I kind of became the defacto knight guy because I have an icebreaker and no gjallerhorn. Took me a while to get good at it. It takes a lot of discipline to just focus on the knights and trust your team doesn't need you to get crota down. Had some wipes early on that were definitely my fault, but now I know it so well that I can launch a rocket at Crota if things get weird. Something is really satisfying in nailing the bridge knight while the sword guy jumps past him to take on Crota.

When you hit 32, being on knight duty is the easiest thing. They die in one shot with an ice breaker.

E92 M3

I'm beginning to think that, 95% of the time, the Hunger of Crota is the best heavy weapon in the game. While the Ballerhorn is obviously the best heavy in the game, it takes up an exotic slot, which is pretty annoying. HoC gives you 90% of what the ballerhorn does but in a legendary, allowing someone to use a hawkmoon, ice breaker, whatever as well.

Hunger has become one of my favorite weapons. The Gjallarhorn will always be amazing, but HOC is bar none the best legendary launcher.

Congrats man, I have yet to see a exotic drop for anyone from a strike playlist and I've been playing since launch.

2 days ago, 3 strikes in a row someone got an exotic (not me).

Productive ROC strikes so far. Already got a legendary engram and a MIDA.

MIDA: the most underrated weapon in Destiny in my opinion. I fucking love that gun for basic level content. Scout rifle with third eye, hair trigger, and agility buff? Yes please. Not to mention it's also very effective and has a really cool sound.

LordofPwn

I want to run sword, but never can because i have:
Gjallarhorn, Hunger of Crota, Ice breaker, and Black Hammer...
confessionbear.jpg

LiK

I want Hunger for that reason. I wanna use my Vex on PVP with it.

in PVP fusion rifles and shotguns make me scream.

Oh and as for titan barges.

don't get me started.

I don't mind shotguns that much, their range is pretty limited and fill a niche role.

However, fusions rifles really need a balance pass. They are OHK at close and medium range. In theory they are balanced because of the charge time, however this doesn't play out that way in match. First, you can pre charge, so this essentially this gets rid of the charge time issue all together, also add in the fact that some fusion have extremely low charge times. The only way to beat a fusion rifle is at long range or if the player misses. Also with the amount of special ammo on the maps, you can just use it as a primary.

MIDA: the most underrated weapon in Destiny in my opinion. I fucking love that gun for basic level content. Scout rifle with third eye, hair trigger, and agility buff? Yes please. Not to mention it's also very effective and has a really cool sound.

Agreed. It's a sex-tier exotic.

You didn't even mention its ability to stagger enemies.

Deku Tree

15 Crota loot drops later I am still waiting for my HoC.

E92 M3

I want to run sword, but never can because i have:
Gjallarhorn, Hunger of Crota, Ice breaker, and Black Hammer...
confessionbear.jpg

I have those an run sword all the time. It's just too much fun to pass up.

--

Any guess on what today's update will hold? Pandering or news?

Have to agree. RNG has given me a bunch of them, and I turned my nose up at all of them until last week. I finally gave in and leveled one up to pair with my don't touch me gloves. After completing my final bubble last night, I'm a lean mean running machine that doesn't give a fuck.

Frostburn

If you make a direct connections thesres basically no lag.
I've dano everything in this game on the vita already. :)

Still wanna do this? We have 4. Getting 2 more shouldnt be that hard.

Yeah I would be fine, going to work on some Eris bounties real fast to hit rank 4 finally first though.

Rngesus has smited my hunter for soloing the first part of the raid....no damn gear. One more chance at hitting 32 on at least one character for me.

LordofPwn

I have those an run sword all the time. It's just too much fun to pass up.

--

Im always playing with other 32's that dont have them though...

--

Not much of anything as DeeJ is on vacation.
It'll be short. Thanking you all for holiday blah blah blah. Game of the year awards and noms. maybe a date for hard raid, and then that there's more to come to destiny. So stay tuned!

LTWood12

If you make a direct connections thesres basically no lag.
I've dano everything in this game on the vita already. :)

Still wanna do this? We have 4. Getting 2 more shouldnt be that hard.

Me too! It works great! I even handle the relic on vita and when people find out afterwards they're always like wtf?!

commish

Cuco who is in my raid group has gotten three HoC to drop for him.

He's a hacker, obviously. You really shouldn't play with hackers.

I've always thought they should allow people to re-assign loot from a boss, but only to those part of the kill and only for a short period of time (say, 3 minutes). So, if someone gets a 3rd HoC, then can just give that 3rd HoC to someone else in the raid. It's not full blown trading, which I'm against, but would help with the RNG a bit on boss drops.

Deku Tree

He's a hacker, obviously. You really shouldn't play with hackers.

I've always thought they should allow people to re-assign loot from a boss, but only to those part of the kill and only for a short period of time (say, 3 minutes). So, if someone gets a 3rd HoC, then can just give that 3rd HoC to someone else in the raid. It's not full blown trading, which I'm against, but would help with the RNG a bit on boss drops.

They're called raid tokens and many MMO's use them now. Bungie should implement them too.

With Deej still gone, it'll be exactly the same amount of update with much less fluff. I am looking forward to it.

They'll probably just tease the next patch and hard mode Crota, but I am starved for any morsel of newness in this game.

Just a couple weeks ago I needed:

- vex mytho
- ballerhorn
- fatebringer
- raid boots (last thing needed for 32)
- thorn
- timepiece (for fun)
- foil (for fun)

Somehow I got all of these in that time and now there's nothing else I really want to drop other than the raid helm. What do I doooooooooooooooooo now?

"What do you mean, now we can play the game!"

Ill give this a try... I need:
-Gjallarhorn
-Black Hammer
-Hunger of Crota
-Vision of Confluence

My list is shorter, lets make it happen RNGesus.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't ran the sword yet, but I've really grown to love being on knight duty. I kind of became the defacto knight guy because I have an icebreaker and no gjallerhorn. Took me a while to get good at it. It takes a lot of discipline to just focus on the knights and trust your team doesn't need you to get crota down. Had some wipes early on that were definitely my fault, but now I know it so well that I can launch a rocket at Crota if things get weird. Something is really satisfying in nailing the bridge knight while the sword guy jumps past him to take on Crota.
Honestly me too. It's what my Warlock is best suited for since Ice Breaker is always on him, and I really like the more subdued pressure of keeping the knights down for the rest of the team, which is critical for success even if you never hit the boss.

Actually, all my characters have sort of ideal setups/tasks:
Hunter is ninja swordbearer extraordinaire
Warlock is knight sniper/orb-generator
Titan is Weapons of Light-supplier and Gjallar-shield-break-horner

I'm becoming pretty competent running sword with my titan as well, just need some practice on my Lock.

commish

That's why I always said that the RNG is some serious kind of bullshit, even in the new raid.

I dropped FIVE Hunger of Crota.

Haha, I think I have 5 of the shotguns. I have multiples of the Sniper and fusion as well, but only 1 HoC and no heavy MG.

Admittedly I burned myself out on the sword so much the first week that I don't have any more fun running it than any other role. More than anything, it's the encounter design I find boring so it doesn't matter which role I do, unlike Atheon which is still a blast even though I've spent way more time in that fight.

I remember how much damn fun it was at first so I really want other people to get to experience that, there's no other experience quite like it. I'm happy to never run it again until hard mode if other people want to give it a shot.

My Destiny hype moments have been:

1.) First VoG Flawless
2.) First Templar kill on VoG release day with Lv25 PUGs
3.) First Crota kill, running sword
4.) Beating zoba's score in a Crucible match (only kinda joking, real hype is getting a Gaf Crucibulldozer going, especially during the 2nd Iron Banner)

commish

I'm becoming pretty competent running sword with my titan as well, just need some practice on my Lock.

Locks are the worst sword bearers. Obviously doable but just not as easy as hunter/titan, aka our overlords.

Top Bottom