• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

Rehsa

Does anyone have the MG18A Harm's Way from the Vanguard? I'm thinking of buying it to replace my old void Swarm so would like to know if it is any good

bucyou55

Banned
Is it bad im secretly happy my wife and son are going to her parents tonight that leaves me free to play destiny uninterrupted later

LordofPwn

Yes, don't use them. The explosive rounds cancel out outlaw AND firefly.

You were right, there's no more to it. Explosive Rounds screw up Precision damage and shouldn't be used in most PvE contexts; on Fatebringer especially so.

Of course if you're running Chain of Woe Outlaw is a pretty useless perk in the first place.

Oh gosh, thanks for the heads up. Sometimes it's hard to know what stacks and what doesn't.

Explosive rounds do not cancel out firefly explosive rounds just mess with precision damage. I tested this out awhile ago.

Explosive rounds are broken into 2 parts: normal round damage and explosive damage. adding these parts together you get a regular round's damage. so in some cases you end up getting 1 extra point of damage because of rounding decimals. that's for body/noncrit shots. for precision damage the explosive damage does not calculate, so you only get a crit bonus to the normal part of the round, the explosive part goes missing... unless you're firing at a large target like a servitor, in this case the explosive damage does get calculated and i believe can result in a +1 damage over non explosive rounds but only because of rounding. If i can find my original post about this from several OT's ago i'll add it to this.

Hope this helps.

LordofPwn said:
Explosive Rounds Damage Calculation
Ok, i cant remember who wanted to know this but i just did a test with my fatebringer and explosive rounds.

Explosive rounds do precision damage

And sometimes do more single point damage, but it could just be a rounding error.

killing a dreg with explosive rounds by precision kill did 510 dmg in my test or a non crit hit of 128 x 2 (bullet, and explosive)

Crit = 510
reg = 256 (128 x 2)

But non explosive crit did 765 dmg and reg hit for 255

Crit = 765
Reg = 255

So what's happening is that the bullet can do crit damage and gets a multiplier, but the explosion does not.

so explosive crit is actually (128x3)+128. but wait that equals 512, what's going on.
Answer: the bullet damage of 255 gets split in 2 (127.5).

Run the equation again (127.5x3)+127.5 = 510

On a servitor though the totals were 384 total damage for explosive crits, and 383 for non explosive crits.

Thanks for reading the latest installment of "LordofPwn presents... Math"

Dave_6

Does anyone have the MG18A Harm's Way from the Vanguard? I'm thinking of buying it to replace my old void Swarm so would like to know if it is any good

I do. It isn't maxed yet; seems to only hold 98 rounds and fires slower than CM but I like it.

LordofPwn

got one from bungie. i still prefer my swarm, but my perks are not that great (crouching increases accuracy and kills reduce reload time...

I hate Rumble but that's because I find any Free for All deathmatch too damn stressful. Not a fan of CONSTANTLY worrying about enemies from every direction lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been running outlaw with Fatebringer this entire time and didn't realize that. I will have to play with it because I really like the way it plays, especially on Crota's End. Thanks for the heads up.
Not to confuse you further, but the first segment of Crota's End is a great example of a scenario in which Explosive Rounds are actually valuable in PvE. There's almost no chance you won't hit more than one thing with every shot, not just precision kills, which can be an asset.

But yeah, in a standard "I'm shooting a headshot at one target and trying to kill it" event, it's a hindrance in PvE.
Sure, sure. That would probably make the most sense, but I'm lazy, and would rather just keep CoW and Outlaw both on. That way, I have CoW at the ready for sniping or if I switch to VoC, and keep Outlaw on to not break Firefly. Then, I get the added benefit of the occasional crazy fast reload when everything is proc'ing at once.
Well, Fatebringer is such a phenomenal weapon and so well-suited to Gunslinger regardless of Outlaw that it doesn't really matter :p I was just playing the theorycrafting out in my head a little.
When you're fighting to not be last, the rush just isn't the same.
haha, aw *pat pat*
Its too easy to win.
giphy.gif

Feorax

I did it for my kid's 29 Warlock last week. It's a bit of a challenge when you only have blue guns. No Ice Breaker, no VoC, hell, he hasn't even leveled up what he has (that cool SR with the tiger on it).

Yeah, I borrowed the Ice Breaker from my warlock to take out the ogres. You must have real patience (or fuckloads of ammo packs, possibly both).

Still not had a single piece of armour drop on any of my characters yet. Other than a cloak for my hunter from the first chest, and the Machine Gun, I've got nothing but shards and energies. I get that it's RNG, but seriously, I can't really do shit to get ready for hard mode until these start dropping.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I have 3, only 1 maxed. It's pretty good, and the best that I've found to use so far.

I hate Rumble but that's because I find any Free for All deathmatch too damn stressful. Not a fan of CONSTANTLY worrying about enemies from every direction lol.

Sometimes rumble games make me feel so powerful. It can happen in other playlists too, but it happens in Rumble more often. Something triggers about 2 minutes in, after I've sort of assessed the competition. And I turn into this hunter of sorts (not the class), where the moment I spawn, I start looking for my prey. And I feast, and I feast until the game is over.

Example

purg3

slept with Malkin

I got one from an engram with field scout. Holds 100 rounds and same stats as corrective measure. It's my go to HMG now.

Rehsa

got one from bungie. i still prefer my swarm, but my perks are not that great (crouching increases accuracy and kills reduce reload time...

I don't remember what the perks are on the vendor version but I know its not crouching, I have the Against All Odds in solar and I just got Thunderlord last night so was thinking of an upgraded Void MG

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I'm trying to get a group together tonight for a Flawless VoG run if anybody is down. I'm thinking around 8 PM EST? We can change the time a bit if need be.
1) hydruxo (PSN: hydruxxo) - Hunter
2) ethomaz
3) Kill_Deaf_Radio (?)
4) coolasj19 - Warlock
5) OPEN
6) OPEN
Me! That's like 7 Central right? Gonna move all the stuff I need beforehand.
I think that's 4 now?

I'm trying to get a group together tonight for a Flawless VoG run if anybody is down. I'm thinking around 8 PM EST? We can change the time a bit if need be.

1) hydruxo (PSN: hydruxxo) - Hunter
2) OPEN
3) OPEN
4) OPEN
5) OPEN
6) OPEN

I might be down. Put me down as a maybe.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't remember what the perks are on the vendor version but I know its not crouching, I have the Against All Odds in solar and I just got Thunderlord last night so was thinking of an upgraded Void MG
Vendor version is void? I got one as my bungie gift and it's pretty wonderful. Great successor to corrective measure.

Not to confuse you further, but the first segment of Crota's End is a great example of a scenario in which Explosive Rounds are actually valuable in PvE. There's almost no chance you won't hit more than one thing with every shot, not just precision kills, which can be an asset.

But yeah, in a standard "I'm shooting a headshot at one target and trying to kill it" event, it's a hindrance in PvE.

Well, Fatebringer is such a phenomenal weapon and so well-suited to Gunslinger regardless of Outlaw that it doesn't really matter :p I was just playing the theorycrafting out in my head a little.

haha, aw *pat pat*

giphy.gif

I haven't used explosive rounds in Crota's End but wouldn't firefly be more effective against so many thrawls?

Rehsa

I have 3, only 1 maxed. It's pretty good, and the best that I've found to use so far.

I got one from an engram with field scout. Holds 100 rounds and same stats as corrective measure. It's my go to HMG now.

Thanks I will double check the perks when I get home and will probably pick it up since I dont really need much since I got the Plug One.1 from the NF in solar which the vendor is solar.

Sometimes rumble games make me feel so powerful. It can happen in other playlists too, but it happens in Rumble more often. Something triggers about 2 minutes in, after I've sort of assessed the competition. And I turn into this hunter of sorts (not the class), where the moment I spawn, I start looking for my prey. And I feast, and I feast until the game is over.

Example

I wish I could get in to the zone like that, but even when I'm doing well I am stressed as hell the entire time and only relieved when it's over. The sense of accomplishment for doing well in those modes is great though.

Yet another newbie question (sorry!). What's the maximum light armour can have? I'm just not sure I should be spending shards on upgrading gear that could be easily outleveled when I find a new piece.

Leading on from that, what's the fastest way to get more ascendant shards? I will be rapidly out of them if I upgrade a few times :/

gdt

Still looking for 1 for a fresh Crota run starting now.

1.gdt
2. HowDidIJustShootYou
3. Jdawg
4. Bigmanny
5. Jtran

Ps4 gdt5016

Yet another newbie question (sorry!). What's the maximum light armour can have? I'm just not sure I should be spending shards on upgrading gear that could be easily outleveled when I find a new piece.

Leading on from that, what's the fastest way to get more ascendant shards? I will be rapidly out of them if I upgrade a few times :/

36, but that is for Exotics and CE Raid. Vendor gear goes to 33 light. Save marks to buy a set of Vendor gear and get an exotic from Xur to take you to level 31.

If the gear doesn't have a max of 33 light, don't waste the shards on it.

Best way to get ascendant materials is the VoG raid. Next is dailies and public events.

36, but that is for Exotics and CE Raid. Vendor gear goes to 33 light. Save marks to buy a set of Vendor gear and get an exotic from Xur to take you to level 31.

If the gear doesn't have a max of 33 light, don't waste the shards on it.

Best way to get ascendant materials is the VoG raid. Next is dailies and public events.
thanks. Seems like I'm doing all I can do to ascendant material then. Haven't yet ventured into any of the raids!

What level did everyone complete the story at?

1. Hunter- Level 18

2. Titan- TBD; Currently level 16 following first Venus mission

3. Warlock- TBD; Currently level 2 following intro stage.

Top Bottom