• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

Namikaze1

I'm surprised, people still do weekly's? I gave up on them once I hoarded over 100 strange coins and realised I had way more than enough to buy any exotic I could want. I'm even struggling to justify running the Nightfalls these days, since there are only 3 exotics which I want, and due to the heavily inflated nightfall loot table, I have a much higher chance of getting those three exotics by waiting for Xur to stock them rather than running the nightfall.

I do them for multiple reasons:

1.) I love stockpiling for a rainy day. Managed to spend 15 or so coins on heavy ammo and still stay above my self-imposed limit of not having less than 190 coins at a time.
2.) Another chance at a few legendary engrams.
3.) Easy 500 rep
4.) They usually have a burn and go fast.
E92 M3 pretty much gave all the reasons I do the Weekly each week. To add on to it, I would also say the 7500 XP you get from doing it on level 30. It helps out a lot when leveling armor gear.

I'm surprised, people still do weekly's? I gave up on them once I hoarded over 100 strange coins and realised I had way more than enough to buy any exotic I could want.
The Vanguard rep and marks help me to do the weekly, but I also want the strange coins. Even if I have a whole pocketful of them, I still think it's best to stock up on the currency as much as possible. Who knows what changes Bungie might make and they wind up being a more universal currency type.

Namikaze1

I find myself switching to my other gear that stacks Intellect. I always keep alt gear on me just in care I get invited to PVP.
Same here. Since I prefer Defender, I always* keep Saint-14 on me. My PvP load out usually consists of Secret Handshake, Suros, Hawkmoon, and Hunger of Crota.

*i was moving stuff that day! Doesn't count!

Atkison04

I'm setting my alarm for 3:50am in the morning to be ready for the raid reset. I want one last solo attempt at it before bungie patches it out. Add me to the list of people hoping that the patch doesn't hit at reset. I just need gloves on one and a chest piece on another for hitting level 32.

lazybum

Neo Member
The option is: Get the first chest before the patch and have a chance at an exotic. This can lead to either getting another exotic chance at Ir Yut. This option can lead to being screwed out of an extra loot drop if Bungie anticipated this. Another option is to not pick up the chest at all and wait for the patch to be safe. I don't think Bungie programmed the patch to lockout people that picked up the first chest. They must know that only the core people will bother rushing to do it before the patch. Most simply don't care.

but, ultimately even if they lock you out of the Ir Yut drop, you've already gotten your potential exotic drop from the chest. You just potentially lose a chance at more materials or armor at Ir Yut. For my 32 characters that seems like minimal risk.

I kinda agree on the Bungie not bothering part since this is a one time thing.

Renta

Banned
My life right now

1nUxM33.jpg

E92 M3

but, ultimately even if they lock you out of the Ir Yut drop, you've already gotten your potential exotic drop from the chest. You just potentially lose a chance at more materials or armor at Ir Yut. For my 32 characters that seems like minimal risk.

I kinda agree on the Bungie not bothering part since this is a one time thing.

Exactly, the risk is worth the reward.

My life right now

Were you hyped or is the second one?

LiK

Same here. Since I prefer Defender, I always* keep Saint-14 on me. My PvP load out usually consists of Secret Handshake, Suros, Hawkmoon, and Hunger of Crota.

*i was moving stuff that day! Doesn't count!

Hahahaha, that helm. Also, I guess both you and Math have gone full Suros? I've quit using it for now. Might get back into using it again and see how well I do.

Man, I think I learned the Thorn is just not my type of gun for PVP. Not sure why, maybe the RoF feels too slow for me. I did better with TLW, currently releveling it up for the stability perks. I really want a Hawkmoon to try out tho.

E92 M3

I have fallen in love with the S. Rapier. They key was using the 3rd scope option - the other two weren't doing it for me. With the third one I am landing headshots across the field with the maxed range.

Namikaze1

Hahahaha, that helm. Also, I guess both you and Math have gone full Suros? I've quit using it for now. Might get back into using it again and see how well I do.

Man, I think I learned the Thorn is just not my type of gun for PVP. Not sure why, maybe the RoF feels too slow for me. I did better with TLW, currently releveling it up for the stability perks. I really want a Hawkmoon to try out tho.
I still haven't found a primary gun that can replace Suros for PvP. Hawkmoon comes very close but I just prefer having Suros on me.

Dave_6

Ran ~2 hours of ROC strikes last night with my 27 Titan and surprisingly only had two repeats, Archon Priest and the Dust Palace (twice each). Also played with randoms and no one ever quit or AFK'd. Color me surprised!

I went in with like 10 plasteen plating and came out with nearly 90 so that really helped as my Titan is now a 28. Never got one Legendary drop though.

Anyone up for a normal VoG tonight sometime?

The Vanguard rep and marks help me to do the weekly, but I also want the strange coins. Even if I have a whole pocketful of them, I still think it's best to stock up on the currency as much as possible. Who knows what changes Bungie might make and they wind up being a more universal currency type.

I usually do it for the same reasons, but this week, sponge bob/no burn, I didn't bother on one toon. I still couldn't resist on the other two.

Namikaze1

THX!

When is the podcast going up?
We had some technical difficulties last night. Todd made sure to hit record and it did show up as being recorded but once we finished, the file was nowhere to be found. We recorded some 3 second crap a few minutes later and that recorded fine and that file showed up fine. We're re-doing it today so podcast won't be up till later tonight after we're done recording or tomorrow.

We will post the link up once it's up.

For some reason I always forget that the kill 7 rapidly using only meele bounty works with the sword. Just completed it by accident going for the hive blade kills.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
3.5 pages of complaints overnight xD
Ran ~2 hours of ROC strikes last night with my 27 Titan and surprisingly only had two repeats, Archon Priest and the Dust Palace (twice each). Also played with randoms and no one ever quit or AFK'd. Color me surprised!

I went in with like 10 plasteen plating and came out with nearly 90 so that really helped as my Titan is now a 28. Never got one Legendary drop though.

Anyone up for a normal VoG tonight sometime?
Check out META's posts on this page and see about getting into the same one together.

I'd be willing to help/lead a Normal run tonight if it's at a compatible time, since the newb raid this week is for CE.

edit: The podcast didn't record? awww

Daemul

I usually run it with some 28s to help them out. I like to be a Destiny samaritan in the hopes that fate pays it forward with loot drops and fun.

Also it's worth noting your overgorged-with-Exotics status is not the norm. Lots of folks are still feeling that thirst.

That's true. I'm part of that very rare group of people who has had the Ghorn drop 5+ times for them, the latest one being last night in the nightfall. There seems to be some kind of system in play though, where some exotics drop for you whilst a handful don't.

Thunderlord, Saint-14 and Glasshouse(the 3 exotics I want) have never dropped for me, or for anyone I've ever played with. I don't know how that's possible but the game sure seems to be playing a cruel joke with me when it comes to this three exotics, made worse by the fact that I didn't have enough strange coins to buy Saint-14 when Xur sold it long ago.

Talking about cruel jokes, why is Bungie constantly allowing upgrades for Praxic Fire when Xur has never sold it yet? That seems a little bit trollish.

E92 M3

That's true. I'm part of that very rare group of people who has had the Ghorn drop 5+ times for them, the latest one being last night in the nightfall. There seems to be some kind of system in play though, where some exotics drop for you whilst a handful don't.

Thunderlord, Saint-14 and Glasshouse(the 3 exotics I want) have never dropped for me, or for anyone I've ever played with. I don't know how that's possible but the game sure seems to be playing a cruel joke with me when it comes to this three exotics, made worse by the fact that I didn't have enough strange coins to buy Saint-14 when Xur sold it long ago.

Talking about cruel jokes, why is Bungie constantly allowing upgrades for Praxic Fire when Xur has never sold it yet? That seems a little bit trollish.

Same way as some people get two Fatebringers or a Fatebringer every time at Templar; while here I am 4 months with no Fatebringer yet lol.

Kyne

What's the best way to get a weapon prepared for VoG? I don't have any void and none of the vendors have any good ones :/

Deku Tree

Nightfall and/or weekly strike bounty on a Monday is totally ridiculous. Now we wont get it again tomorrow right? Ugh.

We had some technical difficulties last night. Todd made sure to hit record and it did show up as being recorded but once we finished, the file was nowhere to be found. We recorded some 3 second crap a few minutes later and that recorded fine and that file showed up fine. We're re-doing it today so podcast won't be up till later tonight after we're done recording or tomorrow.

We will post the link up once it's up.

OK gr8.

Is Titan better than Hunter for PvP?
As Nami said, I don't think it's very clear, as both can be gruesome in the right hands. I think Hunters may have the one up, though, at least in their specials department. Both Blade Dancer and Golden Gun can be tide turners.
I'm finding Two to the Morgue better than Secret Handshake for PvP.
I've had a game or two where this shotgun was ruining me. I wasn't a fan. Ha!

That's the thing, no one knows. Bungie hasn't said anything about that. Maybe it'll work. Maybe not. I'm not gonna risk it.

If Bungie didn't implement a fix, then it's theoretically possible. Definitely doesn't hurt to try.

so what's the risk in opening the first chest pre-patch?

The way I see it, I will run the first chest once pre-patch, if it gives anything, I am going to then just run all three characters from pit to bridge. Being able to get three raid drops with three characters all before I even go to work on a Tuesday morning has been awesome. Possibly being excluded from exotic rolls, either at the first chest or Ir Yut is worth it for me since I need all the radiant shards I can get right now.

Getting a second chance at exotics at Ir Yut would just be a super bonus.

As Nami said, I don't think it's very clear, as both can be gruesome in the right hands. I think Hunters may have the one up, though, at least in their specials department. Both Blade Dancer and Golden Gun can be tide turners.

Personally I feel like Hunters are more "aggressive" by a more effective removal of the enemy team from X points. While Titans are more suited for defensive play by using the Bubble (pussy bubble :p ) In addition, The Fist of Havoc can easily clear out a group of enemies that are taking Y point, while the hunter can be aggressive and offensive since their supers allow mobility to kill targets. Each has their pros and cons. And Hawkmoon FTW

SET YER CLOCKS, BOYS!

waking up early for dat chest tomorrow.

I'll be waking up an hour early, myself. That should be enough time to get through will 3 characters, provided I can do the Lanturn part easy enough. For some reason the past two weeks I keep standing in the wrong spot and either die to the Lanturn, or don't quite make it up high enough.

LiK

Indeed, Hunter specials can wreck groups easily when used properly.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Funny, I think I have 6 thunderlords. Zero Ghorns. Now that I have a HoC, I covet the Ghorn just a bit less. I'm too addicted to my exotic primaries these days, whether it's a Hawkmoon, Mida, etc.

I'm surprised, people still do weekly's? I gave up on them once I hoarded over 100 strange coins and realised I had way more than enough to buy any exotic I could want. I'm even struggling to justify running the Nightfalls these days, since there are only 3 exotics which I want, and due to the heavily inflated nightfall loot table, I have a much higher chance of getting those three exotics by waiting for Xur to stock them rather than running the nightfall.

wat

You're missing out on a ton of strange coins, reputation, chance at legendary engrams and a lot of XP if you skip the weekly. And if you think you have "more than enough" strange coins you aren't spending them correctly. You should ideally have multiple exotic armors per character (in case you need to switch slots), you should be buying and using heavy ammo synths, and you should be buying and using plenty of telemetries too.

Plus, it's fun to take that victory lap after the nightfall :)

Well, DestinyGAF, I may have reached my peak. Late last week I managed to get the Sum of All Tears medal in Rumble. It was intense and I'm super proud. It was one of those games where I had zen-like focus, my opponents made some awful mistakes, and I got placed in some killer spawn points.

I am so proud, I want to share.

Lima

I just do the weekly strikes because what else am I supposed to do? There is little to do in this game so I might as well run them. They are also relatively painless if you run with 3 people even if there is no burn.

SET YER CLOCKS, BOYS!

waking up early for dat chest tomorrow.

I feel like a meth addict, I plan on going to bed early, waking up at 1:45am, finding a group thats going to do 3x cheese runs of CE, clear it on all my chars in hopefully 90 mins or less, and then go back to bed. I don't even really need anything at this point.

One reason I do the nightfall/weekly every week is to get all my chars close to the rep limits for every faction, but not over. That way when the next DLC drops I can instantly grind out a bunch of faction marks and stuff if needed, especially if they introduce new tiers of marks and stuff (bungie being bungie). The website destinyrep.com is very useful to keep track of that.

Deku Tree

So according to this House of Wolves leaked graphic:

http://i.imgur.com/PBQFn20.jpg

The HoW "Arena" Hard Raid will be level 34 but have level 35 enemies? (Am I reading that right it says Level 34 then it says Level 35 in red.) I guess we have to wait an find out. Maybe that indicates that this graphic is early and/or old. Since the Crota End Hard raid appears to be Level 33 maybe they would make the Arena Hard Raid Level 35.

Still no warlock Exotic boots?

Probably we will need a 2.0 Commendation to buy the HoW vendor gear I think. The 1.0 commendations have an "I" in their graphic... I am guessing they will become useless garbage after HoW is released.

m8PN1x.gif

Casually sidestepping your nova bombs, locks.

It's nice that you can see the full animation. Too often I just die without seeing the animation because of lag and then only after I'm dead do I say "oh ok laggy nova bomb ugh".

Top Bottom