• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

Deku Tree

Imagine, before Destiny 2 comes out we'd have

Ascendant
Radiant
HoW
Comet
VV
FoG

That's 6 different TYPES of materials. So 12 different actual items. Bleh.

But all the bolded ones probably become worthless once your done farming the raid for that expansion. It's the main way they have to make it a grind to upgrade the new stuff you get from the new raid.

lt519

Well my birthday is coming up in a few days and my fiance is going to get me the Digital Guardian edition on PSN since I already have the trial installed. Had one question though... Is it worth it?

I mean I know the game is not without it's shares of problems but I do enjoy the core "game-play loop" as it were. Shooting is good, loot drops, etc. But is it worth the $90? Since I'm going the PSN-route I won't be able to re-sell or trade in.

All my friends who have the game are all level 25 and up it seems. Am I going to be slogging my way through levels solo until I catch up with them? Other than the pleasure of my company; do they have any incentives to play through some of the old missions with me? Am I fucked by coming in so late? Or am I better off coming in late now that so many things have changed?

Also, I'm not huge on PvP... am I going to be missing out on a lot by not playing in the Crucible?

I barely play Crucible, you won't miss out on anything. If you like the core loop you'll have fun and the GAF community is fantastic for finding games and having fun. It's saved the game for me.

Your friends can play through again with you on new characters (you can have 3) or with their current characters. Their current characters will be pretty buff so they may ruin some of the fun if they do too much of the killing.

Honestly I'd find a copy for cheaper than $50 and just buy the DLC separately if you still enjoy the game after beating it. It'll come out to less than $90 and if you find the gameplay loop has gotten boring you won't feel pressured to play the DLC (that is only accessible after level 20).

So if you opened the 1st chest pre-patch you CAN get the Deathsinger rolls?

If you opened the 1st chest pre-patch AND post-patch you CANNOT get the Deathsinger rolls?

I did the Deathsinger only on my Titan for Flawless, not on my Hunter and Warlock. So if this is true I will try for Deathsinger tonight with the two of them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well my birthday is coming up in a few days and my fiance is going to get me the Digital Guardian edition on PSN since I already have the trial installed. Had one question though... Is it worth it?

I mean I know the game is not without it's shares of problems but I do enjoy the core "game-play loop" as it were. Shooting is good, loot drops, etc. But is it worth the $90? Since I'm going the PSN-route I won't be able to re-sell or trade in.

All my friends who have the game are all level 25 and up it seems. Am I going to be slogging my way through levels solo until I catch up with them? Other than the pleasure of my company; do they have any incentives to play through some of the old missions with me? Am I fucked by coming in so late? Or am I better off coming in late now that so many things have changed?
What do you get for the 90 bucks again? I don't really think it's likely to be worth that

There are bounties for playing through certain story missions each day, that make some worth revisiting at any level at a given time. You can also all play Crucible (PvP) together if you're into that (edit: ah, oh well). Generally speaking though, it's not common to redo old Story missions at low levels, though I'm sure you could find people here to help if you get stuck. You'll have to get within their basic level range to do most of the interesting content. For the most part though, the more relevant point is that getting to ~26 is quite quick, relatively. The gear you can buy from vendors now will get you further than the gear you could buy from them at launch. You're definitely not "hopelessly left behind" or anything like that.

Namikaze1

Yeah, even packages are giving ascendant materials.

Looks like those of us who didn't pick up any public event packages we got prior to patch lucked out.

SkylineRKR

Yeah I did the public a minute before the patch. Opened it a few seconds post patch and got Radiant. Best Radiant ever.

If you opened the 1st chest pre-patch AND post-patch you CANNOT get the Deathsinger rolls?

I did the Deathsinger only on my Titan for Flawless, not on my Hunter and Warlock. So if this is true I will try for Deathsinger tonight with the two of them.

I did what you said.

I opened first chest pre patch and post patch and did NOT get anything from her. I even killed her with my own hands lol.

kidko

Just had a guy AFK'd like halfway through the Summoning Pits. Me and the second guy solo'd Phogoth for about 90% of his health when the AFKer finally decided he wanted to "help".

I've had to go AFK on a strike a few times when my baby wakes up in the middle of the night screaming. Sometimes life gets in the way.

Yeah, guess there's no point doing Deathsinger now. I wouldn't mind killing Crota though is anyone has that checkpoint instead? :)
I have the Crota CP and am looking to do it with my new Hunter tonight before the reset. If you guys don't mind that my Hunter is 29 but I have maxed G-Horn and IB on him so he should still be able to kill stuff and help make Crota kneel.

LordofPwn

For anyone that didn't buy the Iron Banner snipe rifle last time, you can get it as a drop now.

Efrideet's Spear + Final Round = One hit body shot kill in pvp.

I rolled mine for unflinching, armor piercing rounds and final round...feels like cheating.

you could buy one last time? damn... missed that. o well. will play until i get one to drop.
Will probably get space bus instead.

also yeah unflinching armor piercing and final round seem amazing. can they have different damage types too? might want to get 3 of them...

But all the bolded ones probably become worthless once your done farming the raid for that expansion. It's the main way they have to make it a grind to upgrade the new stuff you get from the new raid.

I'm just saying they need a better system. I'd much rather only have to deal with ascendant materials with a cap of like 25 or something, than have to deal with a new currency every 3-4 months.

joecanada

It wasn't instant. I think you have time to get onto the totems and snipe? A mate said he did saw an ogre through his scope. But then it turned red and we wiped.

hmmm so you have to hold them (plates) but maybe not with any other enemies if you do the box trick? and you could probably do it with three or four people then....

lt519

I've had to go AFK on a strike a few times when my baby wakes up in the middle of the night screaming. Sometimes life gets in the way.

Sadly I do it all the time on accident. My Vita connection breaks mid strike sometimes and by the time I get back up people are sometimes onto the next room. That or lag strikes and my last input is repeated infinitely during the lag. If you see me randomly spinning around or insisting that I teleport through a wall that's what happened.

Carn82

For the most part though, the more relevant point is that getting to ~26 is quite quick, relatively. The gear you can buy from vendors now will get you further than the gear you could buy from them at launch. You're definitely not "hopelessly left behind" or anything like that.

This. You'll finish the 'story missions' in a few nights (or a good weekend). So start planning (aka: do bounties to rank up Vanguard) buying the necessary gear to become 28+. I suppose that as soon as you hit 26 you can start running strikes with your friends, that should make things more fun.

realcZk

Can someone try this, a shot in the dark that I thought of, but if you're bored we can see if warlocks are still the kings of cheese:

Bridge Phase - Hop on the switch to start the phase then run off and back into the room where the swordbearer spawns. Hop on the boxes in the back of the room, this will cause enemies to despawn and trigger the encounter on the other side. Leave the room and snipe everything on the other side. When the ogres spawn, the totems will spawn as well. Keep shooting ogres until a totem kills you then self-resurrect and continue.

My question is: does self-res give you enough time between totems to drop both ogres, or does it break the totem phase?

Yeah, what does that get you?

You can get the first CE chest again now.

Hey buddy, if you're leading a group to kill Crota tonight before the reset, can my 29 Hunter join? Hoping to get the loot before reset and will bring my G-Horn and IB, both maxed so I can actually contribute. I have the CP still from when you gave it to me last night.

SkylineRKR

So I guess we won't have 100% confirmation about the Vex Mythoclast being 331 now until someone gets it as a drop after the patch?

I got it again after exotics were boosted. Dismantled it. Was same as it was before. Started at 274 and capped at 323 I think. Which is why I sharded it.

The chest pre-patch was your exotic and class item roll. The only thing you get extra now is the first chest again. The first chest after the patch has nothing to do with Ir Yut now.

Can someone try this, a shot in the dark that I thought of, but if you're bored we can see if warlocks are still the kings of cheese:

Bridge Phase - Hop on the switch to start the phase then run off and back into the room where the swordbearer spawns. Hop on the boxes in the back of the room, this will cause enemies to despawn and trigger the encounter on the other side. Leave the room and snipe everything on the other side. When the ogres spawn, the totems will spawn as well. Keep shooting ogres until a totem kills you then self-resurrect and continue.

My question is: does self-res give you enough time between totems to drop both ogres, or does it break the totem phase?

I'm pretty sure the totems don't actually "cool down", so once you pop back up, you're down almost instantly.

So I got all the gear I need to get to 32 since two weeks now, but I only have on character and I don't have enough time to do the raid every week.
Is there any other way to get radiant shards except Crotas End?

The chest pre-patch was your exotic and class item roll. The only thing you get extra now is the first chest again. The first chest after the patch has nothing to do with Ir Yut now.

So have people been able to get Deathsinger rolls if they never beat her this week? Whether or not they got the chests post and/or pre patch?

lt519

So have people been able to get Deathsinger rolls if they never beat her this week? Whether or not they got the chests post and/or pre patch?

If you opened the first chest previously you don't get anything for the Deathsinger this week. The first chest is the "new" drop so everyone can go get it no matter what they did before. The old first chest was just moved to Deathsinger.

Namikaze1

So I got all the gear I need to get to 32 since two weeks now, but I only have on character and I don't have enough time to do the raid every week.
Is there any other way to get radiant shards except Crotas End?
Eris but you need Radiant Energy to exchange for Radiant Shards and those are only found in Crota's End.

So yes, Crota's End is currently the only place to get radiant shards.

SkylineRKR

If you opened the first chest previously you don't get anything for the Deathsinger this week. The first chest is the "new" drop so everyone can go get it no matter what they did before. The old first chest was just moved to Deathsinger.

This makes sense. My exotic roll was last week.

I'm wondering if you just have a person on each plate will prevent them from activating so you'll just have two less people sniping the other side is all. If the enemies on the starting side is de-spawned, shouldn't be an issue. It just would mean you can't solo it anymore. If this doesn't work, could test if getting one person to the other side prevents the totems from activating so one guy goes over with sword and then gets up high on a pillar where nothing attacks him and chills while everyone else snipes or he/she can also kill stuff on that side as long as it doesn't aggro stuff into attacking them.

SkylineRKR

I'm wondering if you just have a person on each plate will prevent them from activating so you'll just have two less people sniping the other side is all. If the enemies on the starting side is de-spawned, shouldn't be an issue. It just would mean you can't solo it anymore. If this doesn't work, could test if getting one person to the other side prevents the totems from activating so one guy goes over with sword and then gets up high on a pillar where nothing attacks him and chills while everyone else snipes or he/she can also kill stuff on that side as long as it doesn't aggro stuff into attacking them.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Get 2 guys on the totems to cancel the wipe and snipe away. We did it legit after we wiped during the cheese but I can't see how this won't work since Ogres do seem to spawn accordingly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This. You'll finish the 'story missions' in a few nights (or a good weekend). So start planning (aka: do bounties to rank up Vanguard) buying the necessary gear to become 28+. I suppose that as soon as you hit 26 you can start running strikes with your friends, that should make things more fun.
And with us! And raids with us! ONE OF US
Destiny+TDB+HoW
I believe the DGE is the main game + 2 expansions + Ghost shell + 'rare' ship + 'rare' emblem

(funny enough, I bought the regular retail disc and my PS4 also calls it Digital Guardian Edition)
hmmmm. yeah, I think the $45 amazon + $35 pass is a better deal, I don't know about the $10 for a ghost shell, ship, and emblem.
Hey buddy, if you're leading a group to kill Crota tonight before the reset, can my 29 Hunter join? Hoping to get the loot before reset and will bring my G-Horn and IB, both maxed so I can actually contribute. I have the CP still from when you gave it to me last night.
lol this is going to happen isn't it. XD

Sure I'm there for slice-n-dice, what time do you wanna do this?

Deku Tree

Also, I'm not huge on PvP... am I going to be missing out on a lot by not playing in the Crucible?

What do you get for the 90 bucks again? I don't really think it's likely to be worth that

There are bounties for playing through certain story missions each day, that make some worth revisiting at any level at a given time. You can also all play Crucible (PvP) together if you're into that (edit: ah, oh well). Generally speaking though, it's not common to redo old Story missions at low levels, though I'm sure you could find people here to help if you get stuck. You'll have to get within their basic level range to do most of the interesting content. For the most part though, the more relevant point is that getting to ~26 is quite quick, relatively. The gear you can buy from vendors now will get you further than the gear you could buy from them at launch. You're definitely not "hopelessly left behind" or anything like that.

For $90 you are getting Destiny plus the first two expansion digitally.

Right now on Amazon you can buy Destiny for $42.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGA9Y3W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Then the first two expansion together cost $35.

42+35=77 < 90.

Buying digitally is more expensive right now.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Get 2 guys on the totems to cancel the wipe and snipe away. We did it legit after we wiped during the cheese but I can't see how this won't work since Ogres do seem to spawn accordingly.

Yeah, seems like instead of having people spread out to snipe, you'll need 2 people to be on each totem as well.

Not a big change. Easily done legit, just interesting to see what they changed.

nowai

you could buy one last time? damn... missed that. o well. will play until i get one to drop.
Will probably get space bus instead.

also yeah unflinching armor piercing and final round seem amazing. can they have different damage types too? might want to get 3 of them...

lol I bought FOUR. haha

One for each element with field scout on each.

Then my pvp one with unflinching, armor piercing rounds and final round.

I love IB weapons.

Top Bottom