• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Anyone else have the gorgon CP to share? I just got home after a few days away and need some baller horn attempts :)

Homer-yells-nerd.gif
That's such a great episode.

How has everybody's experience with Crucible trash talk? For example, receiving a message after you've been crushed by someone.

My experience has been very positive. It's quite unlike many other online games, where a harassing or dumb message will come through. Today a guardian was tea bagging me and dancing on my corpse, though. It eventually became a rivalry and I reciprocated. I wound up winning that Rumble match, edging him/her out by one kill, so I had to gloat! :p

Welp, apparently all those bugs I posted during a flawless attempt only happen when I'm on the fireteam despite everyone having green connections...Feels terribly bad. But at least they managed to get it on their own. I've switched routers and it still happens.

Sorry to hear that, fucking sucks. Can't remember if you are PS4 or X1 but I'm interested in finding a group of Lv32s to do flawless CE. I think it'll be much easier and definitely shorter. But I'm down to help with flawless VoG sometime if you still want to do that and are on PS4.

Deku Tree

If you haven't done Vault of Glass raid, the DLC is not remotely critical in terms of content. There are 3 awful story missions, 1 decent strike, and 1 fucking embarrassment of a strike. As a bonus, all of this terrible content is essentially already on your disc but locked out unless you buy the DLC.

The new raid is okay but actually a strike in disguise. Current world record for beating it without any cheesing is <14 minutes. New PvP maps have 1 really good map, 1 decent map, and 1 map that is among the worst in the history of mankind.

The only thing "critical" about the DLC is that you will be locked out of some otherwise important content. For example, this week you can't do the Night Fall and Weekly Heroic because they are a DLC strike. It's a terrible value for your money... unless playing so much Destiny stops you from buying any other games (i.e. me).

The TDB update did require an approx 2GB patch on PS4.

border

You can solo every part of the raid as any class. Hunters can use BDancer for invis/mobility. Just make sure to die before entering the last room with the pit if you aren't going to make it in time, i.e. the door is already closing.

I'm mostly just wondering if there's a decent reliable/repeatable strategy for solo'ing the chest.

I've watched some Crota's End solo videos where it just seemed like the player got lucky (Deathsinger especially).

Deku Tree

I'm mostly just wondering if there's a decent reliable/repeatable strategy for solo'ing the chest.

I've watched some Crota's End solo videos where it just seemed like the player got lucky (Deathsinger especially).

The second chest is hard to solo if your not "one of the crazies" around here. :)

How has everybody's experience with Crucible trash talk? For example, receiving a message after you've been crushed by someone.

My experience has been very positive. It's quite unlike many other online games, where a harassing or dumb message will come through. Today a guardian was tea bagging me and dancing on my corpse, though. It eventually became a rivalry and I reciprocated. I wound up winning that Rumble match, edging him/her out by one kill, so I had to gloat! :p

I'm constantly being teabagged or taunted. Not that I mind though, since it's all part of the competitive game in my opinion.

Sullichin

Ive barely gotten any hatemail. It's far more likely to get a friend request from Skirmish team mates or messages from randoms in the tower looking to do one of the weekly activities.

The TDB update did require an approx 2GB patch on PS4.

Yeah, ~2.44GB. Some art assets were (supposedly) updated slightly but I glitched into all those areas before the DLC dropped and they are exactly the same now. Just had to activate the enemy spawns, etc on the servers.

I was just talking about the story missions and strikes. Afaik, the raid, pvp maps, new weapons and gear, etc. were not on disc and therefore part of that download. Doesn't seem unreasonable to think that stuff would be about that file size.

Homeboyd

NOOOOOOO!!!! Just realized Starfire Protocol has the extra Heavy Ammo perk. Bungle really needs to fix that shitty glitch.
Saw this tip on reddit; glitch occurs at spawn, not death, so unequip the gear with that perk until you spawn and re-equip after. Supposedly keeps the glitch from happening and you keep your heavy ammo. Haven't tried it yet, but makes sense if the spawn part is true. Hassle but well worth it to keep your ammo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I didn't think the story missions were awful (in comparison to others). I like both new strikes and am still not certain but leaning toward preferring CE to VoG. Come at me.

border

The second chest is hard to solo if your not "one of the crazies" around here. :)

I was drunk and dumb trying it with the sniper rifle the last time I attempted.

As a Bladedancer with Hezen Vengeance as my best rocket launcher, would I have a good shot at grabbing the chest?

Part of my issue was that even when invisible the friggin' shards from the Shriekers would still seek out and murder me.

Konosuke

Sorry to hear that, fucking sucks. Can't remember if you are PS4 or X1 but I'm interested in finding a group of Lv32s to do flawless CE. I think it'll be much easier and definitely shorter. But I'm down to help with flawless VoG sometime if you still want to do that and are on PS4.

I'm on PS4 but I already have the trophy so it's cool. I'd be down for CE flawless, need shards to get to 32 first though.

R0ckman

DJ, was your message earlier asking for us to team up? I was confused. Also I was mainly running bounties, I got the headshot and snipe headshot bounties which was basically opening the floodgates for me to terrorize. The other bounties I end up becoming handicapped trying to get them done asap.

Also to answer your question, I have only gotten hate mail from doing extremely well. Never gotten hate mail from someone actually good.

One time in Halo 3 my group went against a trash talker who was good, when I did nothing but kill him the whole match and we won we got a death threat message.

I didn't think the story missions were awful (in comparison to others). I like both new strikes and am still not certain but leaning toward preferring CE to VoG. Come at me.

Lol, I would post a gif in response if I was cool like the cool Gaf kids that hang around here.

I'll admit even parts of Omnigul can be fun on Roc. Having that strike as an arc burn NFall on release day was the worst possible introduction.

Awful is relative. The story missions were just more wave defense minus dinklebot. Absolutely nothing new in terms of mission structure or encounter design. Same goes for the strikes.

I am having a blast with CE too, but that may be just because I haven't run it a million times. I think by the time House of Wolves drops, I won't be too hot on it anymore. VoG is, objectively, a better designed encounter all around (despite the many glitches).

border

Omnigul would not be that bad if the last 10% of her health bar wasn't such a nightmare. It's almost trivial to get her to 10%, but then she shrieks and the room just gets filled with adds that seem to infinitely respawn.

I definitely like the Undying Mind better though.

Just got the Cure, apparently it's FWC rocket launch, looks pretty crappy. It only has one tube with mulligan and third eye. Mulligan on a rocket launch? lol ok Bungie.

#gjallarhorn4life

I'll admit even parts of Omnigul can be fun on Roc. Having that strike as an arc burn NFall on release day was the worst possible introduction.

I thought the Arcburn Nightfall was the craziest fun I've had in a long time. It was both the best and worst aspect of the game all in one. Having said that, I don't ever want to do that again. Once was plenty. Solar burn was much more reasonable.

I'm on PS4 but I already have the trophy so it's cool. I'd be down for CE flawless, need shards to get to 32 first though.

Ah, good to hear you have the trophy. Yeah, I've done Vog flawless 6x but was just interested in trying to learn CE. So much shorter. I know a few 32s that want to try it, let me know after reset if you hit 32 and want to get a group together.

Most importantly, we need to make sure Dhruv gets the trophy.

If you don't have Fatebringer then yes.

Pssh, I mean who doesn't have FB by now? Everyone and their mamma has dupes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lol, I would post a gif in response if I was cool like the cool Gaf kids that hang around here.

That is absolutely true, it is a NIGHTMARE with Arc Burn.

I like it on Roc, and this Nightfall was my favorite so far (Omnigul <20 seconds yes please). It's awful on the Weekly this time (Heroic and Angry -_-), although I am totally unsatisfied with the current entry hall strategy, and would really like to try some new approaches if I can find some willing Guardians. If you have one Defender and one Gunslinger I already know a working strategy that is fun as hell.

Undying Mind with 3 people who know what they're doing is great fun though. That's actually my favorite way to strike, Roc with a GAF team on Undying Mind. And enormous amounts of glimmer too. Playing solo on Roc, nobody generally knows what to do so it's a slog. I've gotten pretty good at the run forward alone and a few times now I've had the boss already spawned with the other two still minutes away.

Omnigul would not be that bad if the last 10% of her health bar wasn't such a nightmare. It's almost trivial to get her to 10%, but then she shrieks and the room just gets filled with adds that seem to infinitely respawn.

I definitely like the Undying Mind better though.

Yeah, that's when you are in the room and Major Cursed Thralls spawn all around you. So easy to get picked off if you aren't careful.

R0ckman

I thought the Arcburn Nightfall was the craziest fun I've had in a long time. It was both the best and worst aspect of the game all in one. Having said that, I don't ever want to do that again. Once was plenty. Solar burn was much more reasonable.

We had a bug on our run where Knights kept respawning at the boss fight within seconds of killing them, majors as well.

I like it on Roc, and this Nightfall was my favorite so far (Omnigul <20 seconds yes please). It's awful on the Weekly this time (Heroic and Angry -_-), although I am totally unsatisfied with the current entry hall strategy, and would really like to try some new approaches if I can find some willing Guardians. If you have one Defender and one Gunslinger I already know a working strategy that is fun as hell.

Oh, do tell. In ROC strikes, I usually find folks that just go in haphazardly and always get picked off. Have yet to try with a coordinated group.

Oh, do tell. In ROC strikes, I usually find folks that just go in haphazardly and always get picked off. Have yet to try with a coordinated group.

Honestly it is really fun (and fast) with a good group. I never get any decent drops but don't really care about that. Good way to get marks quickly, not that vanguard marks are hard to come by.

I don't know if I can do the lights flawless, and I may hide in the corner during the deathsinger part, but I'm willing to give it go.

I'm pretty deathless during the bridge and Crota. The lights are early, and I may just need some tips.

rNilla

I've gotten the second chest with all three classes. What has worked for me is first I take out the first Shrieker from the starting area using special and primary ammo. Then I wait for the purple sperm and avoid them by running around that starting room.

Next I rush the second Shrieker and take it out with one rocket and make a break for the chest room. This is the hard part obviously. I don't have any specific tips other than jump around, shoot the Shrieker when you get close to it, then do your best to jump over thrall and make a break for the door. If you don't take too long it shouldn't start closing until after you're well on your way there after killing Shrieker #2.

There's some luck involved in terms of not getting caught on Thrall, Exploders, and getting in there without the second Shrieker's death spawn killing you.

I don't know if I can do the lights flawless, and I may hide in the corner during the deathsinger part, but I'm willing to give it go.

I'm pretty deathless during the bridge and Crota. The lights are early, and I may just need some tips.

Yeah that's the best part about CE flawless, the hardest part is right at the beginning and probably not very hard once you develop a solid strat. Just make sure everyone sticks together and moves quickly from lamp to lamp. Use some blind bubbles, etc. and I bet it's not too tricky.

I'm guessing a lot of people will be hitting 32 after next reset so I'll post more about it then and keep everyone in mind that's already talked to me about it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Awful is relative. The story missions were just more wave defense minus dinklebot. Absolutely nothing new in terms of mission structure or encounter design. Same goes for the strikes.

I am having a blast with CE too, but that may be just because I haven't run it a million times. I think by the time House of Wolves drops, I won't be too hot on it anymore. VoG is, objectively, a better designed encounter all around (despite the many glitches).
yeah I pretty much agree, for the most part VoG (if you can excise the glitches and exploits that trivialized content until patch) is honestly nearly perfect in terms of experiential design. It teaches elements pretty painstakingly from the from door to the last encounter, and offers all members of the party the chance to "make big plays" and I'm probably one of the few who prefer the random teleporting during the Atheon fight, as before that change I only ever got to experience one possible role during it. The Gorgon's Labyrinth and spiral staircase are unique, outstanding set pieces that use Destiny's all-around solid engine to novel effect. The Templar, which I often hear reviled, is actually my favorite encounter personally, but only when holding the relic which I find to be a blast. VoG also successfully creates an atmosphere of unusual, and fairly compelling circumstances in the surrounding lore for those who are willing to look. It's more complex than CE in just about ever way, but there are things about CE that are more suited for my personal tastes especially in the sense of frequent replays. I also find it difficult to consider VoG (which I include the totality of many runs, both Normal and Hard) to CE for which we haven't yet even tried the Hard version.

Top Bottom