• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

CLBridges

Leveled up New Monarchy and got the Themisto shader, already have Amalthea so I think there's one more to get plus their ship. Gonna put NM on the backburner and level Dead Orbit for a couple levels, see if I get lucky. It's already Sunday and I haven't stepped foot in Crota HM, oh well, maybe I'll jump in some last minute groups tomorrow.

jaaz

Long shot, but does anyone have a HM Crota checkpoint at the bridge? I need to try and get the chest piece for my hunter.

Thanks for the offer but we called it fot he night. Like I said, they are not ready yet. But they will be eventually. Right now is like hitting our heads on a brick wall.

I know the feeling. Only a couple of my friends are geared to handle Hard Crota, so I am forced to find random groups, and when I find one that can't consistently DPS enough or consistently get 3-4 sword hits without a death, it's an absolutely miserable experience.

Xur really needs to sell the Ghorn.

Future

Yup. A one-hit kill with almost no cool down is bullshit. Need it again? Just run. I also love the warlock "oh no he's about to kill me, let's just melee him and get a shield that will nullify whatever he does" maneuver that always makes me feel SO rewarded for gaining the upper hand on someone.

Well those are class advantages. Having an alt of every class I don't find any particular class overpowered. Sunsingers with that shield thing don't have the super insta kills the other classes do. Shoulder charges suck mainly cuz there is no tell he has it charged, but due to annoying slide shotgun dudes I've adjusted my playstyle to not turn corners the way I used to and get shoulder charged less as a result. Oddly satisfying to see someone sprinting right at me and gunning em down before they get close.. Because they never can stop to strafe or shoot which is the weakness

The game does boil down to a lot of Mario kart like randomness once supers and heavy ammo come online. And some maps are worse than others at that

Magik

I know the feeling. Only a couple of my friends are geared to handle Hard Crota, so I am forced to find random groups, and when I find one that can't consistently DPS enough or consistently get 3-4 sword hits without a death, it's an absolutely miserable experience.

Xur really needs to sell the Ghorn.

HM Crota is definitely one of the worst experiences I've come across in Destiny for sure. There really is little room for error. It's also frustrating that Ghalljorn is almost an absolute must which a lot of people just don't have which makes the encounter difficult.

I remember my first ever clear took me 8 hrs with a bunch of people switching in and out.

Fortunately enough GAF has some great players to where we finished HM Crota in two tries today. Of course my reward for that was shards.

Not yet. It's as vanilla as can be right now. If the perks make it that much better I'm in for a treat ;)

Edit: Top page 100PPP and never looking back

Oh yeah. The perks make it much, much better. TLW without perks is an average and fun gun. It's only after the two stability upgrades that it shines.

Well those are class advantages. Having an alt of every class I don't find any particular class overpowered. Sunsingers with that shield thing don't have the super insta kills the other classes do. Shoulder charges suck mainly cuz there is no tell he has it charged, but due to annoying slide shotgun dudes I've adjusted my playstyle to not turn corners the way I used to and get shoulder charged less as a result. Oddly satisfying to see someone sprinting right at me and gunning em down before they get close.. Because they never can stop to strafe or shoot which is the weakness

The game does boil down to a lot of Mario kart like randomness once supers and heavy ammo come online. And some maps are worse than others at that

I'm just not used to a PVP shooter where you have a primary, a special weapon and a heavy weapon. Plus a super and other class bullshit like the shoulder charge. It's no wonder they have such a hard time balancing it

ocean

Banned
I'm just not used to a PVP shooter where you have a primary, a special weapon and a heavy weapon. Plus a super and other class bullshit like the shoulder charge. It's no wonder they have such a hard time balancing it

You can get killed instantly, in one shot, by:

Shoulder Charge
Magnetic Grenade
Fusion Grenade
Shotgun
Fusion Rifle
Rocket Launcher
Fist of Havoc
Nova Bomb
Golden Gun
Arc Blade

Couple that with matchmaking that doesn't filter by player skill, laggy P2P connections and some questionable map design = clusterfuck.

Couple of questions:

Do you always go for balance with your int/strength/discipline, or do you prioritize based on class?

Best non-raid legendary options for snipers (excluding IB weapons) and machine guns. I am curious what to spend my marks on (if anything).

Sullichin

Couple of questions:

Do you always go for balance with your int/strength/discipline, or do you prioritize based on class?

Best non-raid legendary options for snipers (excluding IB weapons) and machine guns. I am curious what to spend my marks on (if anything).
Against All Odds is a great LMG.

Couple of questions:

Max int. For all classes imo. Then disc. Then in a distant 3rd strength

ocean

Banned
Couple of questions:

I always try to build around INT+DIS. If I were more into Crucible perhaps I'd pay more attention to STR, but it's just not very important in PvE outside a few encounters.

Snipers: LDR from the Vanguard is great. High impact, high stability and armor piercing. Don't have any DLC Machine Guns though, can't help there. In general, I like them with higher impact even at lower RoF though.

Arrrammis

Anyone want to run VoG? Fresh run preferably (mainly want the foil from oracles) but checkpoints would be fine, I'm just bored soloing stuff.
PSN:Arrrammis

You can get killed instantly, in one shot, by:

Shoulder Charge
Magnetic Grenade
Fusion Grenade
Shotgun
Fusion Rifle
Rocket Launcher
Fist of Havoc
Nova Bomb
Golden Gun
Arc Blade

Couple that with matchmaking that doesn't filter by player skill, laggy P2P connections and some questionable map design = clusterfuck.

Tripmine grenade
Sniper headshot
Sunbro melee
Backstab perked hunter

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sent Hawkian a PM, but I'm not gonna make it tonight. Alternates speak up now, it's so much fun!
Ah well, one spot open for Sword School in that case (Normal mode CE), starting in about 20 minutes! Min level 31.

I actually just realized I don't have the CP though. Can anyone spot me Normal Crota CP real quick?

Couple of questions:

Against all odds is a beast.

Ah well, one spot open for Sword School in that case (Normal mode CE), starting in about 20 minutes! Min level 31.

I actually just realized I don't have the CP though. Can anyone spot me Normal Crota CP real quick?

Hawkian, is the normal sword usage the same on hard?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian, is the normal sword usage the same on hard?
Well, I'm teaching a viable way to do it on Hard, just in Normal. So, uh, yes in terms of this class?

In terms of actually doing Normal under regular circumstances, no way. In Normal you should be going for absolutely mondo mega-damage and killing him before you ever see ogres. In Hard you have to pace out the damage because he automatically enrages when he hits a certain threshold.

edit: Still need Normal Crota CP if anyone has it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6X4uWq0ydY

I think House of Wolves is the last big chance for Bungie to get people to keep playing. If they screw up with that many people will be leaving. The game already gets a bad rep among boards and such.

I remember after it launched it had a bad rep with RL people I would meet. I guess word had gotten out that it wasn't a fun game. Mostly cause of lack of content, story and the grind. I think things picked up after a while when people realized that there is a large dedicated community out there that loves the game.
So yeah I don't know what's gonna happen but they need to change some things. The game needs some variety. Things like bounties should be refreshed from time to time. They also should introduce some new planets. I think most important is loot though. They need to introduce lots and lots of interesting exotic weapons. Most dedicated players have pretty much everything at this point. There's really nothing left to play for.

One thing thats interesting is how easily I was able to get all of the primary weapons from hard Crota. First week, I did the entire hard raid with 2 characters and up until Crota with my third. I got all primary weapons in that first week. I think as cool as it was for me to get those weapons so fast, it really leaves no incentive for me to continue playing. People are still doing VOG, trying to get weapons like fatebringer and praetorian foil.

One thing thats interesting is how easily I was able to get all of the primary weapons from hard Crota. First week, I did the entire hard raid with 2 characters and up until Crota with my third. I got all primary weapons in that first week. I think as cool as it was for me to get those weapons so fast, it really leaves no incentive for me to continue playing. People are still doing VOG, trying to get weapons like fatebringer and praetorian foil.

A couple of things. Yes I believe most people got all of the primary weapons after the first couple of weeks. I still play it just for fun now. But with that said, I still haven't been able to fully level all of them since they are primary. I'm glad I got them all because Crota Hard is just bad. I wish I had new things to do to level up my weapons. I should be able to level stuff up during the raid too to make it more enjoyable/worthwhile. I think there just needs to be more content given out in the raid and within the raid itself.

Ruze789

Got a legendary helmet engram from finishing my third Heroic daily, and it actually turned into a Legendary helmet and for the class I was hoping for! Always a shocker when I get a real item from a purple engram. It's a cool FWC Warlock helmet, that looks like a simple early game helmet (basic Nemesis Plane maybe?).

namDa65

Hi, I just got destiny, but I am looking for a group of 3 to go through the story with. Anyone willing to help me get the most out of this experience?

Please PM if you're interested.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The game is only getting by because there really isn't all that much out there right now. Once the big stuff hits they are going to need to do something to get those who are already playing to keep playing while trying to get new people to play. If it's the same exact transition from vanilla to The Dark Below to The Dark Below to House of Wolves, I can see many people leaving. Certain people are already at the borderline with the game and people I played with in November aren't playing playing right now thanks to the mostly disappointed The Dark Below.
I try to get people to play it and they don't even want me to mention the game.

The game is only getting by because there really isn't all that much out there right now. Once the big stuff hits they are going to need to do something to get those who are already playing to keep playing while trying to get new people to play. If it's the same exact transition from vanilla to The Dark Below to The Dark Below to House of Wolves, I can see many people leaving. Certain people are already at the borderline with the game and people I played with in November aren't playing playing right now thanks to the mostly disappointed The Dark Below.

They really do. New content is very exciting and all, but it can only entertain hardcore players for a while. I love playing this game and I want to see it thrive. But myself and many many others have all hit a wall, and frankly I'm just bored. I don't have much to do, beside help run some new people through raids.

DestinDOOMED

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I think House of Wolves is the last big chance for Bungie to get people to keep playing. If they screw up with that many people will be leaving. The game already gets a bad rep among boards and such.

Even people that play frequently sound more relieved than satisfied when they complete the latest content. More often than not, people I'm playing with don't say "Oh, I got X, awesome! Can't wait to try it out." - It's almost always: "oh gee, X dropped - fucking FINALLY. Now I can stop doing this stupid raid." And then they proceed to tell us a horror story about getting the same useless drop over and over again for the past month.

The game doesn't reward investment but engenders frustration and exhaustion. The fact that I'm looking forward to getting a break from the game because I got all the CE stuff I want says a lot I think. Which sucks because there's many aspects of Destiny I love.

Top Bottom