• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Agent

This week was by far the least amount of time I've put into Destiny since the launch. I did Nightfall / Weekly Heroic 3x, Crota only 1x HM and NM. I think my total playtime this week was maybe 3 hours. I've put almost 500 hours in the game and I just feel burned burned out and bored. I have everything from HM Crota. All I need these days is a Thunderlord and a Heart if Praxic Fire (lol).

I played Battlefield 4 for the first time in 5 months and put time in GTAV. To be honest, it felt refreshing to play something different and "new". If you told me I would feel this way 4 weeks ago I would have laughed. Its pretty clear HM Crota was the last straw for me, and a good amount of people. I'm still going to play but probably at a similar pace to the last week.

E92 M3

Even people that play frequently sound more relieved than satisfied when they complete the latest content. More often than not, people I'm playing with don't say "Oh, I got X, awesome! Can't wait to try it out." - It's almost always: "oh gee, X dropped - fucking FINALLY. Now I can stop doing this stupid raid." And then they proceed to tell us a horror story about getting the same useless drop over and over again for the past month.

The game doesn't reward investment but engenders frustration and exhaustion. The fact that I'm looking forward to getting a break from the game because I got all the CE stuff I want says a lot I think. Which sucks because there's many aspects of Destiny I love.

I don't get that...getting a desired drop helps me just have fun instead of hope.

They really do. New content is very exciting and all, but it can only entertain hardcore players for a while. I love playing this game and I want to see it thrive. But myself and many many others have all hit a wall, and frankly I'm just bored. I don't have much to do, beside help run some new people through raids.

Yes new content is exciting but how much of it is there with TDB?

hydruxo

Bungie has got to come out soon and outline what they've got coming between now and the release of HoW or they're going to run the risk of losing half their player base over the next few months. They can't expect to just coast by with the same Iron Banner every month and think that will be enough to keep people going.

E92 M3

I think with House of Wolves they moved the March date to redo a lot of work to accommodate for our desires. They simply couldn't afford to repeat their mistakes so they delayed it.

Bungie has got to come out soon and outline what they've got coming between now and the release of HoW or they're going to run the risk of losing half their player base over the next few months. They can't expect to just coast by with the same Iron Banner every month and think that will be enough to keep people going.

They definitely do. I have everything i need from Crota's End, so at this point, i have exactly 4 exotics left to level, along with one more faction. I expect to be done with everything by the end of February.

That leaves me with 2 solid months of zero progression, zero growth.

I love Destiny, but that's just scary. Bungie needs to have a heart 2 heart with the player base and soon.

ich00

Any interest in killing Aethon tonight out there? I have the hard gatekeeper checkpoint and need 3 to help. Probably running it 3 times total. Ichabod00 on ps4

Yes new content is exciting but how much of it is there with TDB?

Unfortunately, not a lot. We got three new missions, all of which were half old areas, and then half some new areas that was essentially just locked behind a paywall. And the missions weren't even that long. A couple new exotics, decent amount of new legendaries, three new MP maps, a new strike (two if you count the PS exclusive, but it's essentially just the last mission backwards), and a new raid, which was nowhere near as good as VoG, imo.

I gladly payed for the expansion, and I enjoyed all of the content that was provided, but for a hardcore player, there's not enough to keep you interested until the next expansion. I honestly don't see myself playing much anymore until HoW, just enough to do my weekly Nightfalls, maybe the Weeklies, and maybe even a raid run or two. And Crucible just doesn't draw me in like the Halo MP did.

gdt

It's nice to be taking it a little easier. I'm actually playing other stuff. Finished Evil Within, started Far Cry 4 and Transistor.

Still did my 3 Nightfalls and 1 HM Crota (for the Hunter helmet). Might do the weeklies tomorrow but dunno. I've got most everything so Xur isn't a priority anymore.

So yeah they need to talk about content plans if they want to retain the active userbase they talk so much about.

todd360

I think with House of Wolves they moved the March date to redo a lot of work to accommodate for our desires. They simply couldn't afford to repeat their mistakes so they delayed it.

That is the call I would make if I was in charge. Sure, some people will trade the game in before the next dlc. The hardcore destiny audience will stay though. We just need to be patient. I for one am glad that the wait is going to be longer than we expected. I was getting burned out playing the same stuff over and over for a armor drop that never came.

Magik

I have a feeling one of the reasons they delayed it was that they probably didn't have much in terms of content between HoW and the Comet release in the fall.

I think ultimately they just don't have enough content planned for the game and are still scrambling as they did for CE and even the main game.

rNilla

New content or not, I can't continue to play this game as much as I have for the past 6 months. And that's OK.

Gotta save some of this crazy for the wolf house.

It's nice to be taking it a little easier. I'm actually playing other stuff. Finished Evil Within, started Far Cry 4 and Transistor.

Still did my 3 Nightfalls and 1 HM Crota (for the Hunter helmet). Might do the weeklies tomorrow but dunno. I've got most everything so Xur isn't a priority anymore.

So yeah they need to talk about content plans if they want to retain the active userbase they talk so much about.

Been playing a lot of Far Cry 4 and its so good. One thing about Far Cry that I love is that the world is pretty big. After playing Far Cry I realized as big as the overall world in destiny is, it's very narrow with not much space to explore. You basically go around in a narrow loop. The dungeons on the moon were kind of interesting at first but even those don't have much to explore. One thing about far cry that pisses me off though is that I can never just explore in peace. As soon as I get lost in the world I get mauled by some tiger or some other predator. Wish they'd tone that down a little

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Decided to get back into Destiny months after finishing the main storyline. Just recently hit 26 and got all pumped as I received the notification that I could do the vault of glass raid only to be informed by my bro that I need to actually find people to do it as they don't have a system where you're automatically queued like you are for the strike playlists and what not. Who in the fuck thought not implementing an auto queue system for raids was a good idea? :O

lunlunqq

University cancelled tomorrow again!!!!!!!! You got to be kidding me... How can I make up all 3 weeks of missed classes????

Any late raids going no tonight?

Future

What surprises me is the lack of some kind of pvp ranking system. At least you'd always have that to grind and get better at. Any kind of tournament like play would extend the life easily

Rehsa

HOLY SHIT I did HM Atheon Thursday a couple of times and only saw the Epilogue come up both times. Was away from Destiny all weekend and just now logged onto my Warlock and the Mythoclast is waiting at the postmaster :D

lunlunqq

Decided to get back into Destiny months after finishing the main storyline. Just recently hit 26 and got all pumped as I received the notification that I could do the vault of glass raid only to be informed by my bro that I need to actually find people to do it as they don't have a system where you're automatically queued like you are for the strike playlists and what not. Who in the fuck thought not implementing an auto queue system for raids was a good idea? :O

According to Bungie, raids so hard, cannot do it with randoms, blah blah blah...

xCobalt

What surprises me is the lack of some kind of pvp ranking system. At least you'd always have that to grind and get better at. Any kind of tournament like play would extend the life easily

Yeah, they're definitely missing pvp ranks. It's odd because there's a "Combat Rating" on your destiny profile but I'm not sure if it has any impact on matchmaking.

spyder_ur

Been taking a little bit of a break from Destiny, been playing other games. Just finished another run through of The Last of Us (Remastered for the first time) - holy cow what an incredible game that is. Kind of refreshing to pump a few hours into something else.

What should I mess around with next? Back to AC:Unity, or start Transistor, Guacemelee, Shadow Warrior, Infamous:SS, or Swapper?

That being said, if there is anyone is taking down a hard Crota checkpoint in 10-15 minutes, I'd be in. ANOTHER snow day tomorrow.

After the Tuesday reset you should be able to find people to do VOG with. Most people do Thr level 30 VOG though

They really do. New content is very exciting and all, but it can only entertain hardcore players for a while. I love playing this game and I want to see it thrive. But myself and many many others have all hit a wall, and frankly I'm just bored. I don't have much to do, beside help run some new people through raids.

Realistically, a 60 dollar game plus occasional expansions isn't going to get you enough content of Destiny's quality to keep someone playing all year round. After I'm done getting all of my alts to max level I'm resigned to shelving it until the next bit of content comes out, playing that for a few weeks, and then shelving it again.

I really, really wish that they'd done the WoW model of monthly fees plus 50 dollar expansions every year, bbecause the game that's there is incredible and I *want* to be able to play it year round. But with their current model it's just not feasible.

Realistically, a 60 dollar game plus occasional expansions isn't going to get you enough content of Destiny's quality to keep someone playing all year round. After I'm done getting all of my alts to max level I'm resigned to shelving it until the next bit of content comes out, playing that for a few weeks, and then shelving it again.

I really, really wish that they'd done the WoW model of monthly fees plus 50 dollar expansions every year, bbecause the game that's there is incredible and I *want* to be able to play it year round. But with their current model it's just not feasible.

That's true. This game has been extremely repetitive since day 1 though. For $60 it should have had more care put into the campaign at least

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
On Thursday nights at 9:00EST, I do Newbie raids alternating each week between Crota's End and Vault of Glass. This next one on 2/12 is CE unfortunately, but the one after is VoG if you're interested- sorry it's a ways off, but just thought I'd mention it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

if destiny had a monthly fee I would never have considered buying it
Thanks for the school Hawk! :)
You got it! was a fun time :)

Xion385

Wow. I actually reach the point where I don't need to grind daily bounties anymore, except Eris. I already got everything I wanted from the Vanguard weapon merchant. I'm at the the point where I can finally just exchange my marks for upgrade material. This actually pretty nice. I'm still a filthy casual though. I don't have three Ice Breakers and a single Gjallarhorn. Until I decide to level up my third alt, I'll wait for weekly reset. Feels good. Just riding that train to destination Fatebringer and Gjallarhorn.

Level 17.25 for my Titan almost at 20. .god this grind is too real. I have work tomorrow from 12:30 to 3:30 and I won't get home until 4:30 or so. . I'm hoping to be able to do nightfall with my Titan before the reset. .

ocean

Banned
Delete character, level new one to 32, lather, rinse, repeat

Noooo don't tell me this I just got Destiny like three weeks ago
Still the coolest community around, and extremely active. It's just that the first months were utter insanity here. Slowdown is not a sign of failure but a natural part of what a game like this will inevitably go through. Still plenty of people around here to have fun with :)

The development team. Raids, like the Weekly Nightfall Strike, require a teammate to revive and thus are not suitable for matchmaking. They also require a certain number of players at times and have specific drops at specific points so if players leave, you'd be boned, and people wouldn't be happy about joining in progress to fill the holes if it means missing a drop they're looking for.

http://www.destinylfg.net/ is an excellent site for finding people who want to play the exact activity you are trying to play at the moment. I've wanted to raid when no friends were on plenty of times, and this site was invaluable. It actually works better than general matchmaking because it acts as a filter for the more serious, committed players.

Rehsa

Level 17.25 for my Titan almost at 20. .god this grind is too real. I have work tomorrow from 12:30 to 3:30 and I won't get home until 4:30 or so. . I'm hoping to be able to do nightfall with my Titan before the reset. .

I got to 16 today with my Titan, I don't think I am going to make it before the reset.

gdt

Wow. I actually reach the point where I don't need to grind daily bounties anymore, except Eris. I already got everything I wanted from the Vanguard weapon merchant. I'm at the the point where I can finally just exchange my marks for upgrade material. This actually pretty nice. I'm still a filthy casual though. I don't have three Ice Breakers and a single Gjallarhorn. Until I decide to level up my third alt, I'll wait for weekly reset. Feels good. Just riding that train to destination Fatebringer and Gjallarhorn.

If you don't have a Gjallarhorn I won't even go into party chat with you. Just letting you know.

ethomaz

Banned
That's really interesting! Can you tell me some others in Portuguese? Thorn? Super Good Advice? Bad Juju? Thunderlord?
Thorn = Espinho
Super Good Advice = Melhor Dica de Todas
Bad Juju = Vudu do Jacu * it is the most weird even for us
Thunderlord = Senhor do Trovão

Gjallarhorn is Gjallarhorn :)

Xion385

If you don't have a Gjallarhorn I won't even go into party chat with you. Just letting you know.

giphy.gif

Qwell

So for the first time in a very long time, I actually played something different today. Finally booted up Sunset Overdrive after shelving it about 2.5hours in. I actually liked it a lot better today, played on and off for about 4 hours maybe. Just ran out of stuff to do before the next reset, and even then its really just trying to get a 3rd Gjallarhorn and Fang of Ir Yut. I'll do all the usual though, weeklies, nightfalls, probably both raids.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My controller is getting worse, and it's gonna make stuff unplayable soon :(

Is there any hope of cleaning or fixing it? It's the left thumbstick, sometimes I have to click it a few times to stay sprinting, or even push the stick forward a few times to keep moving forward...

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
After about 3/4 weeks of nonstop unrelenting destiny, I'm going to take a break. Maybe go outside. Maybe travel and have a family. Be back when I get the itch again.

My controller is getting worse, and it's gonna make stuff unplayable soon :(

Is there any hope of cleaning or fixing it? It's the left thumbstick, sometimes I have to click it a few times to stay sprinting, or even push the stick forward a few times to keep moving forward...

You can pay to ship it to Sony for a fix, or buy a new one :/

Top Bottom