• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Any interest in a Hard Mode Crota kill (only Crota)?

Need 3 people.

1 - Kor
2 - TeaParty
3 - JP
4 -
5 -
6 -

Edit: Only have DeathSinger Checkpoint currently. So may have to kill her if no one else has the Crota Checkpoint.

phen0m24

Lol, I've had to tell jaaz jr. to be quiet twice now because Momma is trying to watch TV and is not happy. And you know what that means...

I take full blame for Leeroy Jenkins. I showed him the video once. What have I done?!?

Lol jaaz I also showed Josh the video. Once.

We are crazy.

Sorry about mom enrage timer! :)

phen0m24

Nice, I like that dude. I always thought that Gothalion would have been first to be interviewed before Broman.

No offense but pffft. They should interview Hawkian or Dr Drizzay, both help Noobs and are super polite and helpful.

I'm not biased or anything. :)

forrest

formerly nacire
Any interest in a Hard Mode Crota kill (only Crota)?

Need 3 people.

1 - Kor
2 - TeaParty
3 - JP
4 -
5 -
6 -

Edit: Only have DeathSinger Checkpoint currently. So may have to kill her if no one else has the Crota Checkpoint.

I need this. Can run sword if need be.

Forrest_Crump

Mindlog

aah thanks, so you actually have to pop it open. I'm not really confident with console hardware. Looks like I'm getting a new one and shipping this'n back to Sony land

edit: they'll definitely give me a white one back, right? D:
It bugs me that you have to pay for shipping, but the controller they shipped back feels fantastic. It feels like a solid unit instead of the flimsy creaky one I sent in.
I have a question about the
first guy out the door jumps behind the right tower and distracts the Knight boomers
HM Crota strategy...

It seems that the swordbearer gets aggro'd and ducks into the right room on occasion, screwing up the timing.

I'm thinking that the strategy could also work by
having that first person instead hide in the Ogre room the whole time, being careful to only shoot when the sword goes down so the swordbearer doesn't run into the room, but if he does he can DPS the swordbearer and take him down.

Any thoughts?
The team inside the crystal room should be responsible for SB aggro. I've done rock distraction twice and rarely drew Swordbear aggro. However, when I did the people in the crystal room drew it back. If you aim/shoot at the Swordbear through the glass you can toy with its pathfinding.

You CAN Gjallarhorn Crota from those rocks. You can also Gjallarhorn most of the field to get Swordbear moving again. AoE grenades on the tower work. Big bonus is you can draw aggro from Boomers and Crota after Ogres making the team's trip back safer. Another bonus is that you can AoE grenade the bridge to keep thralls from quickly rushing the team. Another bonus is you can rocket large swathes of thralls making the team's return to the crystal room safer. Overall it's a pretty effective strat. Sometimes the Titan bubble can get dangerous. It's payback for the occasions when those Boomers have killed one of us with splash damage through the floor.

RE: Hiding in the Ogre room. I've always wanted to test that strat. One person runs to the rocks and creates orbs for sword super. Then they purposely retreat to the tower while drawing SB aggro. Killing the Swordbear there maximizes sword time for a third down if your swordbearer is using the rocks. I'm almost certain Boomer aggro can be drawn from the bottom of the tower. They go crazy shooting and can sometimes kill guardians camping in there during the Ogre phase.

I have quite a few different strat tweaks, but I never bother testing them because hard is so unforgiving in the first place and normal is unrealistic. I typically stick with tried and true, but after so many kills stuff like hiding behind that tower can be an amusing change of pace. Crota's slow walk as he passes you is good for a laugh. For now I'm just going to keep toying around with playful Normal Crota solo kills.

Ditters

Looking to run atheon hard ×2, I have gorgon checkpoint or just Crota on hard with my 32 warlock, I have deathsinger checkpoint. Psn Ditters1

Lima

How does the keep CP thing work btw? Let's say I'm on before reset and have a Crota normal mode CP I wanna save so I can just down him three times real quick for a chance at HoC. Do I need to get anyone else in to save the cp for me that has logged on after reset or can I just load into CE before reset and still have the CP after reset has happened and I got back to orbit.

coy

How does the keep CP thing work btw? Let's say I'm on before reset and have a Crota normal mode CP I wanna save so I can just down him three times real quick for a chance at HoC. Do I need to get anyone else in to save the cp for me that has logged on after reset or can I just load into CE before reset and still have the CP after reset has happened and I got back to orbit.

My buddy does it using the former method. Rawr or Drizz can probably speak to this more.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
deathsingaaaaa
B9c4ME_CIAAqqfl.jpg:large
:D

M3Rocket

I haven't been on a team that did the "guy shoots a wall" strategy since my first HM clear, but I find it vastly superior to the bubble distraction.

First, it's foolproof. While I only remember a few wipes from Titan mistakes (falling off ledge, getting killed trying to rocket), it's more than the 0 the wall shooter would assuredly contribute.

Second, it frees up a bubble for the Ogre room without the need for multiple titans. One team I was on had one titan, and that lone titan was using the bubble for the boomers. Not having the bubble in the ogre room caused multiple wipes. The bubble in the ogre room helps against the second ogre and the ascent up the steps, which is the only dangerous part of the fight for the rocketers.

Third, it is a more consistent way of keeping the boomers distracted. A couple of times, I've seen the boomers shoot the swordbearer after the bubble was up because the Titan didn't stay to aggro (or whatever they have to do, I never do that role, so idk what exactly went wrong those times).

Yes, I'm sure everyone I played with is just the worst or whatever the response will be. I am just relaying my experience. And yes, the wall shooting is way cheesier - to the point of really being an exploit as opposed to a strategy. But all that said, I consider it a much better method if I have to choose one, and it's odd seeing people ignore the benefits it provides, especially in random groups. Of course, if your group of 4 can't consistently dps Crota enough to take down the shield in a timely manner, the bubble strat would be the only viable route. I am also aware that having a stealth swordbearer who needs neither strategy is preferable.

All that said, I feel like people who roll in consistent groups shit on random groups who do whatever they can to get by, and it's pretty easy to be high and mighty about what methods are allowable when you're not in that position.

My experience is that none of the various boomer distracts are 100%. It really depends on team makeup and capabilities.

When raiding with my clan, we always use sniper distract with much success. But our clan swordbearer is a hunter usually. He blink-strikes and stays invisible almost all of the time, including traversing the sea of thralls on the way to the rock ledges. In order for this to work well, the sniper has to be skilled and quick. But he can also call for assist since we are all together in the center platform.

On our clan clears, our swordbearer will call left or right depending on where the swordbearer is killed to make sure we get to Crota with the sword ASAP. That is an easy adjustment for a sniper since he would have already worked on the knights closest to Crota on both towers while the rest of us were DPS'ing the swordbearer.

In pickup/mixed groups, I've experienced the other distract methods. I don't like them as much. Putting a person behind the tower basically means that Crota is sometimes already agro'ed to the right side before your Crota slayer even gets there. And of course, that team member can't see what's going on, and has the boring job of simply shooting a wall.

Bubble distract on right platform works if the Titan is experienced and can peek out to either provide additional DPS on Crota or to make sure boomers are agro'ed on the bubble. I don't like that the orbs are out in the middle of nowhere and is of no help to the other team members. Maybe the swordbearer can use the orbs returning to the crystal room after the first sword, but if Crota is moving that way at all, that's the most dangerous path for the swordbearer to take.

I do think that any of these distract methods can work well enough most of the time if the actual Crota hard mode encounter bugs don't doom the run.

If the team only has one non-sword bearing Titan, I believe the bubble to be more useful in the entrance to the crystal room between the first and second sword. Also, it is extremely useful to have the bubble in the Shrek & Fiona kill room between second and third sword for the often hazardous journey back into the crystal room (clear cursed thralls, run as group and stick to the left wall, jump into room at top of stairs).

Ha, ok. But I am going to have to question your top of page posting oversight. That was substandard. You knew better :p

Harsh but fair, haha Twas unintentional and then I got distracted IRL and didn't even notice.... I'll keep something good in the chamber for a page topper later tonight to make up for it.

No offense but pffft. They should interview Hawkian or Dr Drizzay, both help Noobs and are super polite and helpful.

Thanks Colonel, I try to support the community here as much as I can. I'm probably too outspoken with some of my criticisms to stay on their "nice" list though :) Obviously I'd love with DGAF to get some spotlight though. I thought someone posted before that we were featured in a Bunige community thing but I can't find it on their website...?

I'd like to see where our guys are in that cool info graphic. I'm not even sure what it shows, but I like it.

I guess it's related to how many followers Destiny Twitch streamers have...? So I doubt anyone here qualifies, afaik. I would consider doing "viewer raid" type streams (flawless or w/e) but all the fine folks I already know keep me pretty busy :p.

Flawless raider trophy in 1 hour or less or your $0 back!

Yes, you need someone else to join you. Save CPs over weekly reset by:

1.) Log into the character that has the CP before 4am EST Tuesday. As long as you are logged in, you don't actually have to be sitting in the CP.

2.) After the reset time passes, load up the CP if you aren't already there. Have a friend who has already been logged out post-reset join your game (make sure their NFalls and Weeklies are reset, etc.).

3.) Be sure to wipe and respawn at least once, twice for safety if you are paranoid. Best to transfer it to multiple people if possible, just to be safe and so you can run it 3x without losing the CP again. To ensure it works, have your friend go to orbit then load up the CP themselves before you log out.

4.) Once they confirm it, you can log out and log back in then join their game and knock it out. Make sure someone still has the CP saved on another alt before you finish the encounter so you can either run it again or keep it saved for next week.

We do this every week w/ hard Gorgons and will be saving normal DSinger and hard Scrota starting this week. The "real" Gorgons CP that gets passed around is 2+ months old by now. Crazy to think how it's propagated, probably thousands of characters have grabbed that chest, so to speak.

Yes, you need someone else to join you. Save CPs over weekly reset by:

1.) Log into the character that has the CP before 4am EST Tuesday. As long as you are logged in, you don't actually have to be sitting in the CP.

2.) After the reset time passes, load up the CP if you aren't already there. Have a friend who has already been logged out post-reset join your game (make sure their NFalls and Weeklies are reset, etc.).

3.) Be sure to wipe and respawn at least once, twice for safety if you are paranoid. Best to transfer it to multiple people if possible, just to be safe and so you can run it 3x without losing the CP again. To ensure it works, have your friend go to orbit then load up the CP themselves before you log out.

4.) Once they confirm it, you can log out and log back in then join their game and knock it out. Make sure someone still has the CP saved on another alt before you finish the encounter so you can either run it again or keep it saved for next week.

We do this every week w/ hard Gorgons and will be saving normal DSinger and hard Scrota starting this week. The "real" Gorgons CP that gets passed around is 2+ months old by now. Crazy to think how it's propagated, probably thousands of characters have grabbed that chest, so to speak.

Is there a way to avoid logging out due to inactivity (rubberband a stick or whatever)?

ethomaz

Banned
Thnaks Kor and guys.

Another Universal Remove (the second today)
Another Word of Crota (the 3rd or 4th)

I got jealous about the guy that got the 4th Horseman :D

PS. Except for my bad connection today the Crota kill was really smooth and fast..

SnakeEyes

Banned
Still praying that I get a Black Hammer out of CE tonight, as well as either a Thunderlord or Hawkmoon (or both) out of the Nightfall..

Is there a way to avoid logging out due to inactivity (rubberband a stick or whatever)?

You mean you wouldn't be awake before/at reset? Not sure what time zone you are, but if that's the case then I'd just transfer it to someone who will be awake and have them transfer it with a friend or two. I wouldn't trust rubber-banding or any other "automation," you can also ask around here and should be able to find relevant CPs.

I rubber banded the left analog stick in the tower one time just for lulz and it seemed to keep me logged in for a while but I still got kicked eventually. I think they have more advanced "afk detection" methods to deter strike/Crucible afk'ers.

ethomaz

Banned
You mean you wouldn't be awake before/at reset? Not sure what time zone you are, but if that's the case then I'd just transfer it to someone who will be awake and have them transfer it with a friend or two. I wouldn't trust rubber-banding or any other "automation," you can also ask around here and should be able to find relevant CPs.

I rubber banded the left analog stick in the tower one time just for lulz and it seemed to keep me logged in for a while but I still got kicked eventually. I think they have more advanced "afk detection" methods to deter strike/Crucible afk'ers.
I know Crucible you need to do different moves to stay logged... just the same move for 1 minute and you get out.

Yeah, I'd be in bed at 4am reset for sure, so I'd just be looking to stay in orbit or whatever. Sounds like it wouldn't work, anyway. Thanks for the info, though. I didn't even know the process before your post.

Top Bottom