• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

My buddy and I are running through weekly and will move to nightfall After that...

Feel free to join us as I haven't played with a fellow gaffer in some time :)

We are on PS4 and my psn user name is kierkegaardsoren

It's not vault space, but both fixing heavy ammo and adding in the faction ranking
both of which shouldn't have needed to be included in a patch 4 months post launch
IS a good "quality of life" patch.

My sense of this is "good patch, now do this level of stuff every 2 weeks".

We understand that they have different teams working on different bugs or content, but they must really be shorthanded bug fixing trams to take this long for these glaring issues from the beginning.

Lol I saw that before I jumped into CE. Was looking through my friends list and saw you were in a party with "MeInMyAss"

I thought he was going to be some grown guy with a dark sense of humor. Nope, nicest sounding pre-teen who was very respectful and disappointed that we accidentally kicked him since he was AFK for awhile. . I don't want to go back in time and look at my old gamertags.

I'm still here, not sure about SlenderBeans tho...

Glimmer farming... GK CP... we start as we get 4.

1. silvertongueBR
2. SlenderBeans
3. Frostburn

Also, GAF, twitchplayspokemon just started another run of Pokemon Red... this will probably reduce my destiny time. lol

I'm still here, not sure about SlenderBeans tho...

Glimmer farming... GK CP... we start as we get 4.

1. silvertongueBR
2. SlenderBeans
3. Frostburn

Also, GAF, twitchplayspokemon just started another run of Pokemon Red... this will probably reduce my destiny time. lol

I'll still join. I'm just playing Transistor until we start. Just pop me an invite once we're ready.

edit: Nami noooooooooo! haha

How do you think they could have improved on the Crota encounter to make it better. I know we talk alot about how it sucked because it boils down to 1 MVP and a handful of tag-alongs. I think Crota should have had more mobility instead of just sitting there waiting to eat Rockets.

There are obvious ways to make the current design slightly less terrible, like each person can only use sword once, etc. that would be more in line with the "random Atheon teleports" philosophy. But the current encounter is fundamentally broken, it would need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

That pre-release image of Scrota in the darkness surrounded by beady eyes was a better starting point. An enclosed arena battle with a more reasonable sized boss who doesn't insta-kill on such a tight timer but has more give and take with sword attacking, closer to a Souls boss. Needs way, way less focus on DPS gear checks, more dynamic movement, more opportunities for varied roles between teammates. Needs to actually use the "building a vocabulary" philosophy of VoG so mechanics introduced early on are combined together to test your understanding.

destiny_the_dark_below_2.jpg

1.) Sword is cool but needs way more of them so other people can have fun too even if it's just controlling adds. Flying around chopping >>> standing still sniping. Timer is fine but would need to be much longer which would need to be balanced with doing much less damage per hit on Scrota.

2.) Presence of Scrota is fine, you could have dedicated healers i.e. orb generators for example. Key here is to throw this Lv33 forced under-leveling garbage out the window, it's the most critical design failure of HM CE, need way more give and take with enemies damaging you. Same as above: re-balance sword damage so having players at the same level as Scrota doesn't break the fight like now.

3.) It's dark, so use the lamps!!! Have to activate them to be able to see anything, multiple lamps required for maximum visibility: think Link to the Past final fight vs. Ganon. They're on a timer, same as abyss, but could be re-lit somehow (ideally a new mechanic, a sword ability similar to VoG relic cleanse). If they all go out it's literally pitch black: that would be fucking intense.

4.) Of course this mechanic would naturally tie in with weight of darkness mechanic. Not only would you lose visibility but also mobility if the darkness grew too strong. The lamps would light the entire arena to remove darkness (i.e. ALttP), not exactly the same as standing next to them in abyss but similar.

5.) Lamp lighting could be combined with bridge crossing. Need to kill sword bearer to access side areas where lamps are. Have to kill GKeeper to activate lamp or/and re-light a burned out lamp. Or maybe kill Shrieker to break wall to access lamp so teammates work together w/ sword crossing and shrieker blasting.

6.) Wizards form vestige pools if you don't kill them quickly enough so this would be one of those snow-ball effects. They spawn when a sword bearer dies so someone would need to take sword while one or more control wizard(s). More swords would mean more lamps and attacks at Scrota but also more wizards so it's a balancing act. Couldn't trivialize wizard spawns by not killing Boomers like now. They would have to spawn because you have to get swords.

7.) Oversoul is okay but needs to be much easier to kill so it's less of a DPS check and more so another thing to manage during the fight. Enrage should be similar to Templar and Atheon where it's still possible to finish off the boss, not the insta-wipe nonsense it is now. Maybe Ogres start spawning then but makes no sense to have perma-Oversoul, unless DPS was lowered a lot.

Multiple sword bearers so everyone can get a sword if you kill them fast enough, vestige green circles on the ground to encourage airborne sword mobility, still need to control adds but in a more free-flowing manner similar to Templar instead of Tower Boomer silliness. That gives everyone a lot more to do and requires a lot more constant communication.

It's silly to be an "armchair game designer" but these are all mechanics that exist in TDB, not asking for tons of new stuff to be introduced that would require production time. The actual balancing of all these elements would be very difficult, but that's the point: complexity, not something that feels half-baked like Scrota now.

Shito

Screw adding the reputation panel. I would rather have a reason to grind for rep instead of a commendation and two ascendant energy (I got today from dead orbit) :(
Yeah, at first I thought they were going to announce a change in the factions loot tables.
But nope. Don't want to stress the test team too much!

So, yeah, didn't realize tomorrow is Valentine's Xur.
You know what that means, right?
Suros, because I got one this week and it's gonna be nerfed.

So that weekly update, /le sigh =/

Shit asked Month 1 being phased in now, Crota glitches will be most likely September with Bungie's schedule

Crota glitches? lol. They will fix a few, but then they will count on the new raid making us all forget the old ones and Crota will be abandoned.

To this day, Vault still has numerous bugs. Templar randomly teleporting and detaining people. Atheon portals STILL not working. Incorrect number of people being teleported. Etc. These things will never be fixed. I would imagine we will see some similar things happen with Crota.

There are obvious ways to make the current design slightly less terrible, like each person can only use sword once, etc. that would be more in line with the "random Atheon teleports" philosophy. But the current encounter is fundamentally broken, it would need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

That pre-release image of Scrota in the darkness surrounded by beady eyes was a better starting point. An enclosed arena battle with a more reasonable sized boss who doesn't insta-kill on such a tight timer but has more give and take with sword attacking, closer to a Souls boss. Needs way, way less focus on DPS gear checks, more dynamic movement, more opportunities for varied roles between teammates. Needs to actually use the "building a vocabulary" philosophy of VoG so mechanics introduced early on are combined together to test your understanding.

destiny_the_dark_below_2.jpg

1.) Sword is cool but needs way more of them so other people can have fun too even if it's just controlling adds. Flying around chopping >>> standing still sniping. Timer is fine but would need to be much longer which would need to be balanced with doing much less damage per hit on Scrota.

2.) Presence of Scrota is fine, you could have dedicated healers i.e. orb generators for example. Key here is to throw this Lv33 forced under-leveling garbage out the window, it's the most critical design failure of HM CE, need way more give and take with enemies damaging you. Same as above: re-balance sword damage so having players at the same level as Scrota doesn't break the fight like now.

3.) It's dark, so use the lamps!!! Have to activate them to be able to see anything, multiple lamps required for maximum visibility: think Link to the Past final fight vs. Ganon. They're on a timer, same as abyss, but could be re-lit somehow (ideally a new mechanic, a sword ability similar to VoG relic cleanse). If they all go out it's literally pitch black: that would be fucking intense.

4.) Of course this mechanic would naturally tie in with weight of darkness mechanic. Not only would you lose visibility but also mobility if the darkness grew too strong. The lamps would light the entire arena to remove darkness (i.e. ALttP), not exactly the same as standing next to them in abyss but similar.

5.) Lamp lighting could be combined with bridge crossing. Need to kill sword bearer to access side areas where lamps are. Have to kill GKeeper to activate lamp or/and re-light a burned out lamp. Or maybe kill Shrieker to break wall to access lamp so teammates work together w/ sword crossing and shrieker blasting.

6.) Wizards form vestige pools if you don't kill them quickly enough so this would be one of those snow-ball effects. They spawn when a sword bearer dies so someone would need to take sword while one or more control wizard(s). More swords would mean more lamps and attacks at Scrota but also more wizards so it's a balancing act. Couldn't trivialize wizard spawns by not killing Boomers like now. They would have to spawn because you have to get swords.

7.) Oversoul is okay but needs to be much easier to kill so it's less of a DPS check and more so another thing to manage during the fight. Enrage should be similar to Templar and Atheon where it's still possible to finish off the boss, not the insta-wipe nonsense it is now. Maybe Ogres start spawning then but makes no sense to have perma-Oversoul, unless DPS was lowered a lot.

Multiple sword bearers so everyone can get a sword if you kill them fast enough, vestige green circles on the ground to encourage airborne sword mobility, still need to control adds but in a more free-flowing manner similar to Templar instead of Tower Boomer silliness. That gives everyone a lot more to do and requires a lot more constant communication.

It's silly to be an "armchair game designer" but these are all mechanics that exist in TDB, not asking for tons of new stuff to be introduced that would require production time. The actual balancing of all these elements would be very difficult, but that's the point: complexity, not something that feels half-baked like Scrota now.

Thanks for taking the time to lay out so many ideas. I think the best point you made was how the Raid failed to properly build up and deliver an encounter based on all the mechanics that were introduced. Makes the final battle feel very hollow.

Atheon fight was the culmination of multiple mechanics and scenarios from previous sections in one glorious battle. Crota felt like it blew its load early and coasted across the finish line.

Cool. Glimmer farming... GK CP... we start as we get 4.

1. silvertongueBR
2. SlenderBeans
3. Frostburn

Come on guys... there's good glimmer to be earned.
I've never glimmer farmed the gatekeeper checkpoint. Do you need to bring anything in particular?

Add me and I'll join: mikeworks

I've never glimmer farmed the gatekeeper checkpoint. Do you need to bring anything in particular?

Add me and I'll join: mikeworks

No. It's easy.

You basically go in a clockwise circle, chaining supers (I use my super, you get my orbs and use yours, and vice versa) and killing the yellow bar ads.

Once yellow bars are dead, we wipe and repeat.

I'm booting the PS4 now.

1. silvertongueBR
2. SlenderBeans
3. Frostburn
4. mikeworks

No. It's easy.

You basically go in a clockwise circle, chaining supers (I use my super, you get my orbs and use yours, and vice versa) and killing the yellow bar ads.

Once yellow bars are dead, we wipe and repeat.

I'm booting the PS4 now.

1. silvertongueBR
2. SlenderBeans
3. Frostburn
4. mikeworks

Can I join in on this farm? PSN: Darryl_M_R

Also, what is the fastest way to get class material, I remember someone telling me to buy the helmet from the vanguard for 250 and just dismantle them

GhaleonEB

Thanks for taking the time to lay out so many ideas. I think the best point you made was how the Raid failed to properly build up and deliver an encounter based on all the mechanics that were introduced. Makes the final battle feel very hollow.

Atheon fight was the culmination of multiple mechanics and scenarios from previous sections in one glorious battle. Crota felt like it blew its load early and coasted across the finish line.

I do wish that in both raids, the actual boss was more of a threat. Crota forms, and then just kinda hangs out pointing at us; we should be juggling mechanics established earlier in the raid while also dealing with Crota, not just his "presence".

Nice set of ideas, Boguester.

And HELL YES to the faction rep going into the UI. Been wanting that since day 1. The next update is sounding pretty great.

I think the only person who have fun in the crota boss is the sword bearer alone and just him, the rest of the team just DPS things or keep the boomers at bay unlike the VoG where everyone have to control the vex gates, the kamikazies harpies, killing orales or taking the shield

NastyBook

LOL Boobie prizes. Thanks for letting me run that with you, grimlock. Now I just need to do it two more times tonight. Then the Weeklies... The Order can't come soon enough.

realcZk

irDHXWLyB9aHH.gif

In the Bungie raid yesterday they talked about giving up whats most important to you (making a sacrifice) and that movement (weight of darkness) and health regen (presence of crota) were the first things that came to mind. If they fucked with your vision it would be insane.I'd play that. Would look forward to people doing blind crota runs too lol.

Top Bottom