• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Dave_6

I don't get home until around 7pm Eastern, but I'd love to get this knocked out so I can focus on IB this weekend. What's your PSN? I'll send a FR now to facilitate later.

I'm happy to help as much as I can (I'm not sure what level the enemies even are in HM abyss and bridge); I just wanted to make it clear that if someone is planning on soloing it, I'm also happy to just stay out of the way and ride their coattails. =)

Thanks, I'll send a FR now.

Cool. We can probably bang this out with you, me, ich00, DeathJR, and 2 others to fill out the squad tonight.

Does anyone have the Crota CP on an alt so we can skip hallway and deathsinger?

I should be online around 7 CST or a little before.

spyder_ur

Rolled a Lash from my last IB to Outlaw, Field Scout and Mulligan. Don't love Mulligan, but it's a keeper, right?

Totally bummed that the Sniper is not dropping this time around. Also bummed The Order is not turning out well, it seems like. Could've been another distraction from Destiny during this lull. Definitely saw it coming though.

JerryEveryday

Neo Member
Played IB for about an hour. Finished 3 bounties then I kept getting the Weasel error. Mad annoying. After resetting my router 3 times and still getting kicked I decided that enough for me. I'm half way to Rank 3. I was playing solo and it's tough. People on my team at the end of the match having only 1-2 caps. Jeez.

dB Viper

Sit back and let me tell you the story of pmpn drop bear and the hard light... While doing a nightfall on Wednesday I remarked to my friend how the only two exotics I needed were the hard light and the red death. Lo and behold at the end of that very nightfall she gets the hard light. :/ I then go and find a gorgon checkpoint and begin sharing it. Another friend joins and gets the hard light. He leaves and changes to his second character, and I swear on my mothers life, his second character ALSO gets a hard light!!!! I have no idea what the percentage chance of getting two exotics from the gorgon chest in a week is, let alone the same exotic with both characters, but, Yep. Random friends list person joins and gets a hard light. Others join and get a truth and patience and time so I know the chest isn't cursed haha. 2nd nightfall goes without incident. 3rd nightfall I do with lfg randoms, one gets a hard light. Now a total of 5 have dropped in my presence this week.. Later I do hard Crota for third time and get a hard light and second crux of Crota off same drop. It's a hard light kinda week. Now xur just needs to sell red death tonight bahaha

Duuuuude... that's so awful. Haha. I feel like it has dropped a lot this week (both IN my presence, and watching some Twitch streams. It dropped for a dude in the Bungie stream last night also).

blazeuk

Gloves only drop from Abyss. Bridge drops chest or boots.

I don't think I'll be online after 2 hours..1 hour is doable.

Cool I finish work in an hour (takes me about 5-10mins to get home) so if anyone is wanting to do it around then it'll give me one last chance at the gloves before I carry on ranking up IB. Never paid too much attention to it but didn't realise gloves didn't drop from the bridge either, doh!

Every class can run sword no problem. Hunters are just by far the easiest/best, allows for a less coordinated team and/or lag. Reliable shield break teams make sword running very simple.

Some warlocks have actually gotten smart and started using the crazy armor Radiance perk. Those deserve to be called out.

I think they take half damage? Seems like all hit markers are half the usual, not positive. But yeah, gif was just for comedy value. More call-outs the better imo, I always like lively mics in raids and pvp.

Rolled a Lash from my last IB to Outlaw, Field Scout and Mulligan. Don't love Mulligan, but it's a keeper, right? .

Absolutely, for PvE anyway. Not a great pvp roll though if that's what you want.

Cool I finish work in an hour (takes me about 5-10mins to get home) so if anyone is wanting to do it around then it'll give me one last chance at the gloves before I carry on ranking up IB. Never paid too much attention to it but didn't realise gloves didn't drop from the bridge either, doh!

Okay. I'll be online.

That's not true, any lasting super gets called out.

Hey, a titan dropped a bubble on A
Warlock popped his Radiance at C
Golden Gun at B
Bladedancer at A

No point in really announcing a Fist of Havoc or Novabomb, as they're over by the time you've announced them. Though, I still announce them just so we get an idea of what supers have been used by the other team.

But none of them have the urgency of Hunter supers, the bubble is just a casual information and very few pop Radiance on purpose, mostly its just "oh shit I fucked up". Plus I rarely here anyone call out a Sunbro. BDancer or GG though, every single time, usually a panic shout and almost always after someone dies by it.

nOoblet16

Every class can run sword no problem. Hunters are just by far the easiest/best, allows for a less coordinated team and/or lag. Reliable shield break teams make sword running very simple.
I understand, which is why by accomplishing this I will no longer be a pleb class swordbearer that has to rely on invisibility and become an ascendant swordlord.

Sullichin

Anyone doing just one HM abyss, bridge, and Crota kill, either tonight or this weekend?

I'm a 31 and have all the armor pieces to hit 32, but haven't done any HM except for one HM Crota kill. I need shards, and don't have any of the raid primaries.

I have no shame; I'm perfectly happy to sit quietly at the entrance while someone solos abyss and bridge, and do bubble/boomer duty on Crota. I just want the shards and drops.
Same position! I really want to do the first two parts to get a shot at some primaries and get shards to get to 32.

stb

All enemies are 33 in hard mode.

If you have don't touch me and leveled up bladedancer, you won't have much trouble with hm Abyss even if you're only 31.

I won't be on 7 hours from now, have about an hour or two max before I have to leave.

PSN is ruthlesbarbarian

Unfortunately, I'm a Titan, and without Saint-14; that's part of the reason I mentioned just getting carried. I don't think a 31 titan is of much use in the abyss.

Bummer the timing doesn't work, but thanks for the offer, anyway.

LordofPwn

*B-Dancer stuff*

Last night as blade dancer i killed a guy and got shot by a rocket right after. i took 0 damage from that rocket. i felt like i was cheating. Thats why i want a nerf. But the nerf im proposing would still keep b-dancers effective in crucible. Instant health regen on kill, no invincibility time for regen.

Unfortunately, I'm a Titan, and without Saint-14; that's part of the reason I mentioned just getting carried. I don't think a 31 titan is of much use in the abyss.

Bubbles always help, and fist of havoc plus flashbang grenades are very useful.

GobFather

Well, that depends on the Warlock.

I don't bother calling out a Self Res. Some warlocks have actually gotten smart and started using the crazy armor Radiance perk. Those deserve to be called out.

wait what is this? I've been out of state for a month and haven't touch the game in a while lol!

Namikaze1

So fucking pissed. Lost my 3DS. Shit must have slipped out of my coat pocket on the bus. I had my headphones connected to it but I didn't had them on. If it fell, I would have heard. Motherfucking Majora's Mask was in it. When I got home, all I found was my headphones. I'm so pissed right now and wanting to cry. Fucking hell. Nearly $300 gone in an instant. Problem is I don't know which damn bus I lost it on. I took 3 buses today and I know I didn't lose it on the first since I was listening to music then.

Shito

You can do that lamp jump and easily get to the end of the abyss.
From there, it's easy to wait for the bridge on that little rock, popping a bubble to buy you the time it needs.

stb

HM CE Abyss, Bridge, Crota (skip hallway and deathsinger, unless people need them)

Tonight at ~9:15 Eastern

1) ich00 (PSN Ichabod00)
2) stb (PSN berried_treasure)
3) dave_6 (PSN DaveS78)
4) captscience (PSN captscience)
5) GRIP (PSN GriP17-)
6) schwagger15 (PSN spyder_ur)
a1)
a2)

Please quote and add yourself. We're technically full, but could use an alt in case schwagger's roof caves in from all the snow or whatever.

Sullichin

wait what is this? I've been out of state for a month and haven't touch the game in a while lol!

Radiant Skin. Reduces damage when you have Radiance active. I definitely think its better in Crucible than self revive. I only revive in Crucible when I forget to switch it

LTWood12

Sit back and let me tell you the story of pmpn drop bear and the hard light... While doing a nightfall on Wednesday I remarked to my friend how the only two exotics I needed were the hard light and the red death. Lo and behold at the end of that very nightfall she gets the hard light. :/ I then go and find a gorgon checkpoint and begin sharing it. Another friend joins and gets the hard light. He leaves and changes to his second character, and I swear on my mothers life, his second character ALSO gets a hard light!!!! I have no idea what the percentage chance of getting two exotics from the gorgon chest in a week is, let alone the same exotic with both characters, but, Yep. Random friends list person joins and gets a hard light. Others join and get a truth and patience and time so I know the chest isn't cursed haha. 2nd nightfall goes without incident. 3rd nightfall I do with lfg randoms, one gets a hard light. Now a total of 5 have dropped in my presence this week.. Later I do hard Crota for third time and get a hard light and second crux of Crota off same drop. It's a hard light kinda week. Now xur just needs to sell red death tonight bahaha

Assuming the chest exotic is totally random the chances are astronomically slim. But I don't see how it can be random.

In the last two months, I've had this happen to me twice. Opened the chest three times in one week in January, got two Hawkmoons.

This week, 2/3 got Plan C. In that same span of time, one of my friends got two Last Words in one week from the chest. Both of us are using the same class x3 characters, so I'm wondering if maybe that has something to do w/ it. Either way, I think there's something in the background math that make the chances of this less than astronomical.

LordofPwn

So fucking pissed. Lost my 3DS. Shit must have slipped out of my coat pocket on the bus. I had my headphones connected to it but I didn't had them on. If it fell, I would have heard. Motherfucking Majora's Mask was in it. When I got home, all I found was my headphones. I'm so pissed right now and wanting to cry. Fucking hell. Nearly $300 gone in an instant. Problem is I don't know which damn bus I lost it on. I took 3 buses today and I know I didn't lose it on the first since I was listening to music then.

Xur will sell it back to you in the tower for all your motes and coins.
That sucks tho, but at least you're alive

Sullichin

I actually noticed a few kills / damage from Hard Light's ricochet rounds while using it in IB. This thing has the potential to be the needler of Destiny. It's actually fairly good now and a lot of fun to use.

Assuming the chest exotic is totally random the chances are astronomically slim. But I don't see how it can be random.

In the last two months, I've had this happen to me twice. Opened the chest three times in one week in January, got two Hawkmoons.

This week, 2/3 got Plan C. In that same span of time, one of my friends got two Last Words in one week from the chest. Both of us are using the same class x3 characters, so I'm wondering if maybe that has something to do w/ it. Either way, I think there's something in the background math that make the chances of this less than astronomical.

RNG breeds conspiracy.
This week I got TLW from Gorgon Chest and from a Nightfall...
One week I got HM from CE Chest and Nightfall, got Dragons Breath twice or more in the same week more than once.
Game won't stop giving me Plan C's either

I understand, which is why by accomplishing this I will no longer be a pleb class swordbearer that has to rely on invisibility and become an ascendant swordlord.

I know/assume you're joking but I definitely don't look at it that way. Considering how easy it is to wipe runs due to glitches, lag or very small mistakes from team members, I want to make sure every sword is right on point when I'm helping groups beat HM. Can't remember the last time I screwed up a sword run, unless I'm intentionally testing some damage per shield break method and hit enrage too soon. That's not a reflection of any supposed skills on my part, anybody else could do the same. It's just that easy with hunters and invis is that OP for maximizing damage.

Titans have always been by far my favorite class to run sword, you can fly like Superman with the upgraded height jump and the R1 sword mobility in air. Also, not sure if you saw it but I responded to your post last night with a Scrota Math breakdown for damage, fyi.

patchday

Haha, I mean, if you're sure you can make it just actually sign up and reserve the slot (click the thingee :))

Done!

I already did Crota normal on my Hunter this week

So if it is ok, I will play with a L32 Titan til we get to Crota. then switch to Hunter for the training. should only take a min to make the switch.

LTWood12

I know/assume you're joking but I definitely don't look at it that way. Considering how easy it is to wipe runs due to glitches, lag or very small mistakes from team members, I want to make sure every sword is right on point when I'm helping groups beat HM. Can't remember the last time I screwed up a sword run, unless I'm intentionally testing some damage per shield break method and hit enrage too soon. That's not a reflection of any supposed skills on my part, anybody else could do the same. It's just that easy with hunters and invis is that OP for maximizing damage.

Titans have always been by far my favorite class to run sword, you can fly like Superman with the upgraded height jump and the R1 sword mobility in air. Also, not sure if you saw it but I responded to your post last night with a Scrota Math breakdown for damage, fyi.

T-44 really enjoyed playing IB with ya'll yesterday Bogue. Sad I missed out on the fun. He felt really bad that ya'll were carrying him ;)

You know, I hear all of these, and I can't help but think of the biggest criticism leveled at science, as its currently practiced.

You see, most scientific findings are reported to the p > .05 level. What that means is that there's a 95% chance that the findings are due to a legitimate signal in the data, 5% chance that there's just noise. But a lot of studies just shotgun correlations until they can find something that shows a correlation to the level that the scientific community will sanction, then publishes, ignoring the 19 other trials that left nothing. In other words, as you increase the number of trials, the chances of perceiving datain the noise that isn't actually there increases.

So in a game like Destiny you have lot of random rolls. One or two of those are going to be exceptional. That's just the way you'd expect things to go! It doesn't require any kind of maliciousness on the part of the developers

LordofPwn

I have a spreadsheet for damage checks if you want it

Shito

You know, I hear all of these, and I can't help but think of the biggest criticism leveled at science, as its currently practiced.

You see, most scientific findings are reported to the p > .05 level. What that means is that there's a 95% chance that the findings are due to a legitimate signal in the data, 5% chance that there's just noise. But a lot of studies just shotgun correlations until they can find something that shows a correlation to the level that the scientific community will sanction, then publishes, ignoring the 19 other trials that left nothing. In other words, as you increase the number of trials, the chances of perceiving datain the noise that isn't actually there increases.

So in a game like Destiny you have lot of random rolls. One or two of those are going to be exceptional. That's just the way you'd expect things to go! It doesn't require any kind of maliciousness on the part of the developers
Yes, that's random for you.
These things DO happen.
Like, they did this week in this very thread, where we saw 3 Hard Lights as well from a Gorgon CP.

As a developer, I've had my share of experiences with people thinking a random function we've coded was bugged, because "this sequence can't really happen, what are the chances!?".
And it's *never* a bug with the way we randomly choose something...

Namikaze1

Fucking hell. I lost a ton of shit. I lost Smash Bros 3DS (digital), the 600+ Pokemon stored in the Pokemon Bank, Majora's Mask, some old games, and Ocarina of Time 3D. And that 3DS was a gift from a good friend who passed away last year. I already called the bus company and told them of the two rides I was in. Nothing was found in either ride.

I just want to lay down and cry.

I have seen Plan C drops more in the gorgon chests and No Land Beyond in Deathsinger while the other chests and Atheons are more random.

Fucking hell. I lost a ton of shit. I lost Smash Bros 3DS (digital), the 600+ Pokemon stored in the Pokemon Bank, Majora's Mask, some old games, and Ocarina of Time 3D. And that 3DS was a gift from a good friend who passed away last year. I already called the bus company and told them of the two rides I was in. Nothing was found in either ride.

I think you need to get a new 3DS ASAP to save your poke bank and your digital games

LTWood12

Who said anything about being malicious? I understand where you're coming from. Just because it happened to me doesn't mean it isn't random. But we know there is some degree of manipulation in the background, which is why the drop-rate in CE is somehow so much better than VoG. I'm just putting it out there that there's a possibility that the repeat roll on this chest is an unforseen consequence of the math going on in the background. I've witnessed this personally happen 3 times (twice to me, once to another) in the past seven weeks.

E92 M3

Fuck man, that must hurt a lot. I am sorry =/

Last night as blade dancer i killed a guy and got shot by a rocket right after. i took 0 damage from that rocket. i felt like i was cheating. Thats why i want a nerf. But the nerf im proposing would still keep b-dancers effective in crucible. Instant health regen on kill, no invincibility time for regen.

hmm interesting, I will have to keep an eye out for stuff like that. I agree with what you're saying, my post was more just an excuse to throw up fun BD stuff, haha. I always breathe a sigh of relief when I see an enemy BD not using the health regen perk after killing a teammate.

And yeah, definitely send me a link/PM me that damage spread sheet if it isn't a bother to you. Much appreciated. Hopefully we can get together for some IB this week if you're around, been a while.

T-44 really enjoyed playing IB with ya'll yesterday Bogue. Sad I missed out on the fun. He felt really bad that ya'll were carrying him ;)

Yeah, we had some really fun matches! No carrying involved, everyone was pulling their own weight. It was cracking me up to see him always running around the maps with his invis active, like some kind of metal gear solid stealth suit, lol.

Wow, that's awful. My condolences Nami, sincerely.

Shito

Some fuckers broke into my home some 2 or 3 years ago.
They stole a bunch of consoles, including my 3DS at the time: it was the worst loss, if only because there was no way I could get back my digital games / saves / letterbox messages it contained.
That day I started appreciate PSN and XBL even way more than I did before. :/

Yes, that's random for you.
These things DO happen.
Like, they did this week in this very thread, where we saw 3 Hard Lights as well from a Gorgon CP.

As a developer, I've had my share of experiences with people thinking a random function we've coded was bugged, because "this sequence can't really happen, what are the chances!?".
And it's *never* a bug with the way we randomly choose something...

Humanity is just real shitty at perceiving randomness and probability. Fuck evolution.

Navid

Finally managed to get all three characters to lvl 32 (though only the Titan has a nice spread of int/dis/str on his armour)... also managed to break the 500 mark for motes of light.
pMPbN5c.jpg
QB0LqZ1.jpg

Top Bottom